Shenmue III Gamescom 2019 Content

Seems this trailer even made the Kickstarter comments way more positive than usual! There are morons asking for refunds, but way less of them than normal!

There are some german magazines like 4players or PCGamer reviewing the demo. They are both in the "its dated" area but with a certain charm.

Interestingly enough in the 4players forum the main journalist Jörg Luibl is also talking about in-game mechanics that can not be comprehended in 30 to 60min gameplay. He is one of the good guys of the industry and has an eye for quality. Back in the day he gave Shenmue I a 95% Rating, the highest on 4players to date. For Shenmue HD he had the comparison that its like the "lord of the rings" of games. Its still has the gravitas and depth of a classic but is not so fresh anymore. I really hope he will enjoy Shenmue III more like a fan of the series though.

No other 'impressions' yet, aside from Lad Bible? My Googling's not turning up anything.
Ersa Krabbe and another one of the IGN Japan guys played it (again). They did video impressions.

Alan Wen (freelancer, sometimes does stuff in Official PlayStation Magazine) played it and "hasn't made up" his mind over it; though he's one of the "just make it Yakuza" people so idk if his opinion's worth much.

The RocketBeans guys tried it, and I've seen various posts about it from small press and YouTubers on Twitter.

Obviously a whole bunch of people in the Shenmue fan community got to try it, like SEGASaturno, ShenmueMaster, and without putting words in his mouth probably @Peter too.

Wonder if we're going to see anything more!
Perhaps in the next ks update?

We got a KS update with the Gamescom deets yesterday so I don't think there will be more from this. The next update is hopefully the refund update so the idiots can "kiss off, twit"

Yeah most likely the next update is the refund update. Either way, we're gonna have the game in our hands in a month, so if they don't show anything off until then, it's not really a big deal.

Like I said, it’s pure luck. Even less control than lucky hit. Only arcade game I’m not feeling. Hope there’s still darts.
It's not luck. It's just like a skill shot on contemporary pinball. With Lucky Hit, you control the point of entry but not the force of the ball. With these games, you control the force of the ball but not the point of entry.

Last edited:
Honestly, even if the series isn't wrapped up it genuinely does make sense to say this is #ShenmueSaved. The adversity to get Shenmue III alone is probably the hardest it's going to get, as many of the pieces to facilitate further sequels are now in place.

Gamescom was a far smoother ride than E3, and I think genuinely bodes well for release. People are starting to see the promise in this game we've been seeing for years, and the trust placed in Yu & company is paying off.

It's also getting more positive articles from the media I've noticed. I just want what's best for Shenmue 3. We're not even half way yet but yes things are looking good since that new trailer arrived. The game looks really good and deserves more attention.

I like the metacooliness of the trailer.

Ryo = Yu Suzuki continuing his life quest. His path is not always easy but he keeps progressing step by step under epic and inspiring music.
Ren = Keiji Okayasu making his ex machina return
The arena where martial artists test their limits = Gamescom
Chai = the negative forces pursuing the franchise since the beginning
Shenhua = the fan community

Despite all the obstacles and endured beatings, he manages to get up and challenges the destiny. To be continued...

Last edited:
i think its probably the first time that we see "real numbers",
not numbers that are pushed because of Sony or the first announcement,
not numbers that are pushed because of the Epic backlash, not numbers that are boosted by drive by trolling.
the ratio is way more balanced, with people in the comments who are really interested in Shenmue
or people who have more to say than just "omg lol what a joke game".
there are still very harsh and troll posts and so on but now you can finally see that there are still
people who didnt care about Epic or the graphics.

look at Deep Silvers other final release trailers for like Metro Exodus or Kingdom Come, its not like they have 5 mil clicks,
not even close but the games didnt flop.

I like the metacooliness of the trailer.

Ryo = Yu Suzuki continuing his life quest. His path is not always easy but he keeps progressing step by step under epic and inspiring music.
Ren = Keiji Okayasu making his ex machina return
The arena where martial artists test their limits = Gamescom
Chai = the negative forces pursuing the franchise since the beginning
Shenhua = the fan community

Despite all the obstacles and endured beatings, he manages to get up and challenges the destiny. To be continued...

Enthusiastic Arcade Kid = The fans at gamescom

Back