Shenmue III Gamescom 2019 Content

Just to weigh in quickly here, i cannot... and i mean cannot emphasise enough how every piece of video released for this game, does it an injustice, in terms of visuals. Not one piece of game play footage, or any trailer has looked remotely close to how the game looks when it's running. I will stand by that comment until the demo comes out.
giphy.gif

I'm a believer.

Just to weigh in quickly here, i cannot... and i mean cannot emphasise enough how every piece of video released for this game, does it an injustice, in terms of visuals. Not one piece of game play footage, or any trailer has looked remotely close to how the game looks when it's running. I will stand by that comment until the demo comes out.

Next month can not come any sooner...God, I can't wait to get my hands on that trial....and hopefully, by that point, I should have my new rig built to accommodate it.

A thread for the Shenmue Dojo's impressions can be found here:

Before you click though, keep in mind that this is in the spoiler forum, so proceed at your own risk!

A thread for the Shenmue Dojo's impressions can be found here:

Before you click though, keep in mind that this is in the spoiler forum, so proceed at your own risk!

Wonderful, thanks.

Makes me wonder why the game looks so much better in person. Either the demo is an older build or the PC version looks better than the PS4 version. And while the second reason sounds plausible, you'd think any footage would be taken from the PC version to view it in the best light?

Either way, that write up was amazing, makes me hyped to get hold of the game in a few months time.

Makes me wonder why the game looks so much better in person. Either the demo is an older build or the PC version looks better than the PS4 version. And while the second reason sounds plausible, you'd think any footage would be taken from the PC version to view it in the best light?

Either way, that write up was amazing, makes me hyped to get hold of the game in a few months time.
There are a lot of small reasons.

Primarily, all trailers are going to be built on older builds by default because of the editing labour involved. In this specific case, Yu Suzuki apparently confirmed to IGN Japan's Esra Krabbe that the Gamescom trailer is an older build, and the demo is a recent one with some brushed up visual elements.

Why there's apparently such a stark difference has to do with data and detail loss in their video production pipeline, IMO. Depending on how they're capturing and later exporting the footage in regard to resolution, bitrate, and codecs; a huge amount of fine detail and visual data can be washed away and made worse by YouTube compression once it goes public. I also believe they're capturing from the PC version, even if there are PS4 symbols in some of the trailers.

Honestly even if they did do everything perfectly in their video production pipeline... it's not going to compete with seeing the game running in front of you at 4K, on a nice monitor.

well if the game demo at Gamescom was running with 60 fps at 4K
than of course it will look different. all the trailer stuff we get is 1080p 30 fps and as we know
they are not even using the best bitrate or whatever.

but - on PS4 this game will not run with 60 fps in 4K. it will still look better than the trailer footage
but there is still the difference of 1080p / 30 fps and medium / high settings (PS4)
and 2160p / 60 and high / ultra settings (PC).

so dont expect a 200% upgrade if you are on PS4.

Last edited:
Speaking of the PS4 Version: Do you guys know if the PS4 has ever been shown in the public yet or was the whole footage out of the Pc version? I really wonder if somebody has seen the ps4 version so far?

I am just asking out of curiosity.

Not worried about the tech stuff that Much. Not that graphics freak to be honest. I am still using my launch ps4 from 2013 and the xbox one S on my 4K TV and I am happy with it. The idea of getting the mid gen upgrades never crossed my mind. I consider the pro and x as nice gimmick but as essential purchase.

So the likelihood that I will be disappointed by the PS4 visuals is rather unlikely.

I pretty much just expect the game to look like the trailers without the added youtube compression. Anything more than that would be a bonus (parts of the last trailer already look great to me. I would love to see/play it at 60FPS on a PC, but I can't really be bothered to fix/get a new PC when I feel the PS4 version should be good enough for sure.

There are a lot of small reasons.

Primarily, all trailers are going to be built on older builds by default because of the editing labour involved. In this specific case, Yu Suzuki apparently confirmed to IGN Japan's Esra Krabbe that the Gamescom trailer is an older build, and the demo is a recent one with some brushed up visual elements.

Why there's apparently such a stark difference has to do with data and detail loss in their video production pipeline, IMO. Depending on how they're capturing and later exporting the footage in regard to resolution, bitrate, and codecs; a huge amount of fine detail and visual data can be washed away and made worse by YouTube compression once it goes public. I also believe they're capturing from the PC version, even if there are PS4 symbols in some of the trailers.

Honestly even if they did do everything perfectly in their video production pipeline... it's not going to compete with seeing the game running in front of you at 4K, on a nice monitor.
Yeah. They could easily upload greater quality videos.
They just don't care. Compression and bitrate make huge difference as I've been sayin.
There are codecs tho, that with a good bitrate can make videos look super sharp and clean.
It could be beneficial for them to upload high quality renders. I don't care that much, but it would maybe
please some more people. Ys net and/or DeepSilver just don't bother about that.

"I was not sitting at Gamescom anymore. I was in the world of Shenmue III. "

The best bit of Peter's preview.

I pretty much just expect the game to look like the trailers without the added youtube compression. Anything more than that would be a bonus (parts of the last trailer already look great to me. I would love to see/play it at 60FPS on a PC, but I can't really be bothered to fix/get a new PC when I feel the PS4 version should be good enough for sure.

Yes same here. I am more than happy if the PS4 version just looks like the trailers which is apparently an older build.

I want Shenmue 3 so much, that I would even been more than happy with that build of the game

But off course I am more than happy that the game evolved a lot in the last couple of years. It looks much better than expected.

Back