Shenmue III Gamescom 2019 Content

i think its probably the first time that we see "real numbers",
not numbers that are pushed because of Sony or the first announcement,
not numbers that are pushed because of the Epic backlash, not numbers that are boosted by drive by trolling.
the ratio is way more balanced, with people in the comments who are really interested in Shenmue
or people who have more to say than just "omg lol what a joke game".
there are still very harsh and troll posts and so on but now you can finally see that there are still
people who didnt care about Epic or the graphics.

look at Deep Silvers other final release trailers for like Metro Exodus or Kingdom Come, its not like they have 5 mil clicks,
not even close but the games didnt flop.

Kingdom Come Deliverance sold over 2 million copies a year after it released. That was very good to see.

Kingdom Come Deliverance sold over 2 million copies a year after it released. That was very good to see.

yes and the game was a buggy mess in the beginning with performance problems and broken quests
and voice acting out of sync but the game did well.
so as long as there are enough people who have interest in a specific setting or gameplay,
you dont need a God of War 4 hype. Shenmue doesnt need a 100 mil people hype event crowd,
it needs a crowd of maybe 700.000 - 1 mil people worldwide who are very passionate, people who know Shenmue 1 & 2,
people who like games outside of the AAA hype bubble. and i think thats not a unrealistic target.

yes and the game was a buggy mess in the beginning with performance problems and broken quests
and voice acting out of sync but the game did well.
so as long as there are enough people who have interest in a specific setting or gameplay,
you dont need a God of War 4 hype. Shenmue doesnt need a 100 mil people hype event crowd,
it needs a crowd of maybe 700.000 - 1 mil people worldwide who are very passionate, people who know Shenmue 1 & 2,
people who like games outside of the AAA hype bubble. and i think thats not a unrealistic target.
I hope those numbers weren't achieved alone by the atraction of killing enemies lol
Because shenmue has none of that.

I hope those numbers weren't achieved alone by the atraction of killing enemies lol
Because shenmue has none of that.

no, Kingdom Come has a very huge fanbase in Europe in Germany, Poland, Czech Republic,
Russia, Austria because there arent a lot of RPGs that take place in a realistic european knight setting
with flat landscapes, lots of green grass and deep forests.
a lot of people in the middle and eastern parts of europe are fans of rough and dirty RPGs,
not the high polished clean fantasy RPGs. thats why games like Gothic are so popular here.

the point is that you dont need every region worldwide for success

no, Kingdom Come has a very huge fanbase in Europe in Germany, Poland, Czech Republic,
Russia, Austria because there arent a lot of RPGs that take place in a realistic european knight setting
with flat landscapes, lots of green grass and deep forests.
a lot of people in the middle and eastern parts of europe are fans of rough and dirty RPGs,
not the high polished clean fantasy RPGs. thats why games like Gothic are so popular here.
That sounds true to me. It really did well.
Shenmue has the benefit of being a "big" franshise, and of being related to Sega with their Shenmue 1 and 2.
I'm also smelling good reviews for once.

I see only one major problem . The game still doesn't look something that's worth €65 or £45 for a newcomer or an indy fan
The value of a game ins not measured by graphics alone :)
I can see Shenmue 3 justifying its price with its 50 to 60 hours of gameplay and content.

Selling something like 800k would be good but the question is would it be good enough for a Shenmue 4..
Depending on the marketing spend, oh yeah.

Some very loose and liberal math:

Assuming copies are priced at around $49.94 (current Amazon pricing), minus 30% for retail and distribution costs, at 800k copies sold, that's north of approximately $27 million in revenue.

Ys Net, Deep Silver, Shibuya Productions, and SEGA would all get a piece of that. I doubt the game will sell enough for Ys Net to make enough capital to self-finance Shenmue IV, but the profitability may make Shibuya Productions, Deep Silver, and maybe even SEGA consider joining up for a diversified funding arrangement.

If Shenmue 3 does well it will be interesting to see what happens. There's so much companies involved with the project. I could see Deep Silver willing to buy Ysnet. Sega will also want Shenmue to be a regular thing for them. Then there's Shibuya and Epic and to a much lesser degree Sony

I'm wondering if the localization is slightly off. Maybe somebody can help me here. In the trailer can you really quantify kung fu? Seems like Ren should have said something along the lines that you need to get better at kung fu.....

I'm wondering if the localization is slightly off. Maybe somebody can help me here. In the trailer can you really quantify kung fu? Seems like Ren should have said something along the lines that you need to get better at kung fu.....

Numerous times in the second game:

Xiuying: "Why don't you focus on your Kung Fu instead?"
Jianmin: "You need Kung Fu. More Kung Fu and more Kung Fu-" (Gets cut off by Ryo)
Xiuying: "(something) it means you need more Kung Fu."

Etc. I think it is just a way to say that you need more training, techniques, experiences, etc. All those add up to be Kung Fu.

Selling something like 800k would be good but the question is would it be good enough for a Shenmue 4..

It should be enough for 4 I'm just speculating there as we've no idea what people like Cedric or what Deep Silver has put in. But I feel very confident everyone should make their investment back and then some if it reaches a number like that.

I'm speculating a lot of the KS money went towards the logistics(Workers, technology, work space, etc...).b. They could be saving on some labor costs here and there too because of the Japanese work culture ?(Although I'm aware there is reform going on there). I don't think the bar will be too high for to make a profit for the investors. I think it's about as low-risk high-reward outcome as they can find tbh. It won't financially sink anyone involved if it fails which is the key thing IMO.

I'm wondering about the after outcome if it does succeed, like Shensun mentioned there's so many hands in the pot I wonder what'll be the outcome. If Epic or DS will approach Sega about buying the IP, or will big daddy Sega decide to bring Yu back into the fold officially(He still works with them in a consultant capacity).

@Truck_1_0_1_ has it right. Kung Fu is kind of a broad umbrella term, and it's original meaning "can refer to any discipline or skill achieved through hard work and practice, not necessarily martial arts." (thanks, Wikipedia)

There are also obviously cuts in the trailer that are probably chopping out 90% of the scene to make it an effective link to the next half of the video, so it might sound more natural in the context of the full version.

Numerous times in the second game:

Xiuying: "Why don't you focus on your Kung Fu instead?"
Jianmin: "You need Kung Fu. More Kung Fu and more Kung Fu-" (Gets cut off by Ryo)
Xiuying: "(something) it means you need more Kung Fu."

Etc. I think it is just a way to say that you need more training, techniques, experiences, etc. All those add up to be Kung Fu.
@Truck_1_0_1_ has it right. Kung Fu is kind of a broad umbrella term, and it's original meaning "can refer to any discipline or skill achieved through hard work and practice, not necessarily martial arts." (thanks, Wikipedia)

There are also obviously cuts in the trailer that are probably chopping out 90% of the scene to make it an effective link to the next half of the video, so it might sound more natural in the context of the full version.
That's good to know. Thanks guys

Back