[PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW MOD NOTE] Kickstarter Update #114 Survey Resend information and PS4 Region Changes and Refund requests.

Here is the actual wording within the Survey regarding the Steam keys.
Would you also like a Steam key given to you after the game's release? (optional)
Negotiations with Valve are ongoing concerning distribution of Steam keys one later when Shenmue III would be released on Steam. As such, we are not able to make a firm commitment at this point concerning the availability of the Steam keys. Requests for Steam keys will be accepted through this survey, however, there is the possibility that Steam keys will ultimately not be distributed depending on negotiations with Valve. If Shenmue 3 is not released on Steam for any reason, Steam keys will not be redeemable or distributed.
It seems they really are suggesting the possibility that the game could ultimately not be allowed a release on Steam. I know I speculated this possibility earlier, but it's still kind of shocking to read.

So I read some of the kickstarter comments and they said this is the worst Kickstarter they have ever seen. Worse than Mighty No9. Why?
Still waiting for my digital Vita copy... :crying:

In a way, refunds and removing these folks will def quell the hate post launch for S3. So that's a good thing in the big scheme of things. Now SNS and gaming forums may still be kicking up a stinker but we the fans will need to counteract it ourselves.
I dunno. Every lil thing about these updates gets Ys Net torn to shreds. I get why people are a little weirded out about the Steam key thing, but it’s like... then just get the refund and move on with your life? You clearly don’t want the game they badly if you were gonna wait a year anyway. Just get your refund!

I'm making the choice not to comment in refund threads any longer (on Era etc.) because I actually think these threads would die and go away quicker without people arguing in Ys Net's favour. That really pisses me off, because I'd happily argue all day that Ys Net aren't to blame, but I'm not sure it achieves anything in the long run, apart from adding to the page count, bumping these threads and getting more views on this crap.

Let the refunders melt down among themselves. Soon we'll have the demo, then Shenmue III.

I'm making the choice not to comment in refund threads any longer (on Era etc.) because I actually think these threads would die and go away quicker without people arguing in Ys Net's favour. That really pisses me off, because I'd happily argue all day that Ys Net aren't to blame, but I'm not sure it achieves anything in the long run, apart from adding to the page count, bumping these threads and getting more views on this crap.

Let the refunders melt down among themselves. Soon we'll have the demo, then Shenmue III.
It’s not even getting that much traction over there. It’s the same ten people as always and a few people who want brownie points for joining in on the hate. I saw one guy claim he was going to buy half a dozen copies until this happened. Yeah, sure.

I fucking hate, hate people dissing YsNet on places like resetera. Everything other than the development of the game is a publisher decision. YsNet are busting ass trying to polish a project to the very last minute and these fuckos think they are sat there actively trying to block Steam Keys. Laughable.

Then in the next thread, they will complain about crunch and how devs are poorly treated, lament the death of 'AA' games and open threads like 'Why isn't there X game' - well look how you've handled Shenmue 3 and then you wonder why devs don't want to do this shit. The whole place is a follow the leader circus act.

Last edited:
It’s not even getting that much traction over there. It’s the same ten people as always and a few people who want brownie points for joining in on the hate. I saw one guy claim he was going to buy half a dozen copies until this happened. Yeah, sure.
I know, it's a good sign. I'm more than happy to let these threads die a quick, impotent death, instead of going back for more pointless debate.

The comment section is now conspiracy theorizing the game flopped that's why its on game pass for Xbox
I don't know how reliable this is as I've read before that steamdb has some issues with tracking sales now, but it seems to think that BS sold a minimum of half a fucking million. Obviously that is already obscenely high for a game like this, and doesn't even include PS4 and Switch copies.

Untitled.png

Yes, it makes me cringe when they sit there accusing Yu Suzuki himself of being a swindler and actively sabotaging the process. What can you do, though? Argue with them and you’re branded a shill.

One guy just complained because he changed his copy to PS4 to “protest” and was sleeping when the refund thing was sent out so now he can’t ask for a refund. Like, really?

A little bit off the chart but, Somehow even tho not being direct publisher, Sega did a fine Promotional job for S3 in Jp. Merch, stage show, meet and greets, Cosplayers, Promo goods, booth presence, helping arrange press live Interview space. I've not seen any bad PR coming out of JP at all. If only we can measure the hype levels in some way.

A little bit off the chart but, Somehow even tho not being direct publisher, Sega did a fine Promotional job for S3 in Jp. Merch, stage show, meet and greets, Cosplayers, Promo goods, booth presence, helping arrange press live Interview space. I've not seen any bad PR coming out of JP at all. If only we can measure the hype levels in some way.
Pleasantly surprised how much hype it's receiving in Japan. For some reason I always assumed Shenmue was more of a hit in the west, but it turns out Shenmue 1 actually sold big numbers in Japan. I can't remember the exact figures I read someone post on here before, but it was something crazy like 350k.

Edit: I know this is kind of offtopic, but for anyone interested, VGchartz cites this Japanese games sales tracker as the source for Shenmue 1 selling a whopping 380,000 copies in Japan.

I can't verify it myself because the release costs 7,000 yen.

Last edited:
I don't know how reliable this is as I've read before that steamdb has some issues with tracking sales now, but it seems to think that BS sold a minimum of half a fucking million. Obviously that is already obscenely high for a game like this, and doesn't even include PS4 and Switch copies.

Untitled.png

lmaooo, so then it's purely exposure at this rate putting it on gamepass. Someone should let the poor soul know, I can't since I didn't back BS personally.

Just opened my PC Backer Email and took a look at the wording of the Survey.

I had 2 accounts, one for PC Physical and one for PS4 Physical. I'm not bothered about the EGS situation (I just want to help fund & ultimately play S3 lol), so am happy with my survey, but noticed that there is a optional tick box asking if I would "Also" like a steam key.
I previously got the idea that people who were not happy with EGS would have the option to "delay" their EGS Key, and receive a Steam key next year (if it ends up going to Steam). Just to clarify, I assume that tick box will keep my survey the same (Physical PC EGS Installer Disc :p) but I'll basically be getting a free Steam key later down the line to add it to my Steam Library? Is that correct?

I suspect the Kickstarter complainers are going nowhere. I doubt they’ll be locked out and I expect to see them comment on every single update.

The best hope Shenmue 3 has, in terms of forum perception (and again, little reflect on real world sales - how's that epic boycott working out for Borderlands?) is good review scores across the board and a solid launch trailer. Nothing says "your a dumbass" by refunding as $29 guaranteed copy to only want to buy it back....at $60.

Living well is the best revenge etc

Yep. Typed up a few responses but ultimately I realized I'm just bumping the thread to the top of the index so didn't bother.

Everyone should stop replying to people in threads like that and stop bumping them.

Back