[PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW MOD NOTE] Kickstarter Update #114 Survey Resend information and PS4 Region Changes and Refund requests.

As an English guy who moved to the States and brought my PAL PS4 with me from the UK it’s annoying there may be a delay if I want a UK copy.

Although I’ve always expected backers to get the game later then the release date as I’ve only heard horror stories of backers on Kickstarter getting physical games late like Mighty Number 9. Then again plenty could have been delivered on time or before and people wouldn’t have made a fuss about it.

It's because they will distribute regional version from their respective regions. I.e. UK versions will likely ship from the UK, Mainland European versions will ship from a country in Europe, North American versions will ship from North America and so on.

Interesting update, glad the date for the refunds has been announced. However it's a little disconcerting that the Steam keys are now up in the air. I thought these negotiations with Valve were already finalized before they made the initial refund announcement. Why make the announcement of Steam Keys if Valve has not agreed to a deal yet? The last thing that needs to happen right now is to further erode what goodwill is left. I still have sympathy for the sensible PC backers who dislike the Epic Launcher. Nobody likes being jerked around like this.

If I were a PC backer, I would probably wait till the eleventh hour before sending in my survey now. Just to see if they make any announcement on their negotiations with Valve. If there's no announcement, I'd change my copy to a PS4 version or request a refund. If I didn't have a PS4, I'd buy one and then use the refund money to buy a copy of Shenmue III. To be honest, I hate ambiguous statements like these. However it is what it is, so we'll see. It wouldn't surprise me if we're going to endure another shitstorm before release.

With that being said though, I am still optimistic that Shenmue III will do well enough for a Shenmue IV. And my enthusiasm for the game hasn't diminished one iota. Those bitching about having to fill out a survey and getting a PayPal account can go fuck themselves though.

The Steam thing is bizarre and unfortunately, I hate to say it, but I feel any backlash they get from that is deserved. They said they would offer backers a Steam key in exactly one year once exclusivity was up. They said that just the other month and explicitly made it sound like a done deal. Now they say negotiations are ongoing and they can't promise they will be able to deliver on it? Then why the hell would anyone wanting the game on Steam not just hit the refund button and buy the Steam version in a year's time? And why did they explicitly say PC backers would be able to get a Steam key when it launches on Steam?

Also, why the hell are they going to the effort to remove in-game rewards? The game is launching in less than two months. Just don't offer full refunds and keep the in-game rewards.

I'm sure they didn't intend to mislead backers and Valve have changed their mind or something, but that's what contracts and shit are for. They shouldn't have mentioned Steam keys if it wasn't a done deal.

"If selecting either the PC Physical or PC Digital version, an option to also receive a Steam key one year later will be available."

So by selecting the PC version you're acutally getting 2 different versions of PC in the long run... that's actually not that bad! :)

Last edited:
Not gonna waste my time reading comments about this. There has been too much good media and goodwill built up over the last few weeks to engage with these people and make it a hot topic. Let them stew about it and it will soon go away.
I mean there's a guy on resetera with an Outrun 2 avatar giving the game shit at every opportunity...like man...do you even know who made that game?
Complete waste of time. Incredibly vocal minority. You won't be changing any minds by engaging in discussion with them

What negotiations ? Since when it's required to negotiate Steam keys ?
Since Steam changed it policies, I'd have to dig the link out.

They will cop shit, justifiably so given the fact it was worded as a done deal.

However I suggest waiting now, negotiations are nothing to do with us. Things change in business all the time.

Since Steam changed it policies, I'd have to dig the link out.

They will cop shit, justifiably so given the fact it was worded as a done deal.

However I suggest waiting now, negotiations are nothing to do with us. Things change in business all the time.

Steam didn't change their policy regarding Steam keys. You just have to request them. While it wasn't sure to get one at launch because of that EGS deal, there's litterally 0 reason to not give them a year later.

Steam didn't change their policy regarding Steam keys. You just have to request them. While it wasn't sure to get one at launch because of that EGS deal, there's litterally 0 reason to not give them a year later.
You don't know that categorically, Valve could be playing hard-ball and refusing to allow the requests, which they have a right to do.

While it may seem like theres no excuse on the surface there's clearly issues bubbling under the surface so the narrative of theres 0 reason is clearly untrue.

You don't know that categorically, Valve could be playing hard-ball and refusing to allow the requests, which they have a right to do.

While it may seem like theres no excuse on the surface there's clearly issues bubbling under the surface so the narrative of theres 0 reason is clearly untrue.

Well yes, it could be. But they'd be the only developper in the world to need to negotiate for that. There's a lot of cases where games released elsewhere than Steam and Steam later and yet, offered Steam keys. In fact, there's even crowdfunded projects like Phoenix Point, which on top of that is an EGS exclusive.

So yes, you're right, I cant say 100% for sure that no negotiation and that Valve could be playing hard-ball. I also cant say 100% for sure that Yu Suzuki doesn't put Nutella and Pineapples on his pizza. I also cant say 100% for sure that Shenmue III isn't cancelled. What I mean by that is that situation is unlikely because on top of being exceptionnal, it doesn't reflect the actual policy going on neither does it represent the way Valve has been handling EGS exclusives or any other exclusives.

Without knowing the details of the negotiation, can people please steer away from potential conspiracy theorism regarding the Steam keys?

As we're not privy to any of the specifics, we do have to take this information at face value that there is some ongoing negotiation that is currently preventing a cast iron guarantee.

As they're still taking requests for Steam keys, I think there is at least a solid chance of it all working out in the end, but anybody who wanted certainty will have to look at their decision carefully fully knowing there may be a complication.

Well yes, it could be. But they'd be the only developper in the world to need to negotiate for that. There's a lot of cases where games released elsewhere than Steam and Steam later and yet, offered Steam keys. In fact, there's even crowdfunded projects like Phoenix Point, which on top of that is an EGS exclusive.

So yes, you're right, I cant say 100% for sure that no negotiation and that Valve could be playing hard-ball. I also cant say 100% for sure that Yu Suzuki doesn't put Nutella and Pineapples on his pizza. I also cant say 100% for sure that Shenmue III isn't cancelled. What I mean by that is that situation is unlikely because on top of being exceptionnal, it doesn't reflect the actual policy going on neither does it represent the way Valve has been handling EGS exclusives or any other exclusives.
I've just been reading the news on Phoenix point. Yes indeed they are offering steam keys, without, it seems an issue getting them.

The game was announced as a change before Shenmue III was changed to Epic. Shenmue III is a higher profile game and by making things difficult a line in sand is being drawn. Either way the narrative of 0 reason is false.

Anyway let's move on, I'm derailing this thread.

Edit:Sorry Spags missed your post above

Last edited:
Oh well. Guess I won't be googling Shenmue 3 for the next two or so weeks until IGN and YouTube reactionaries finish their orgasms over this latest PayPal nontroversy.

MOD NOTE: As we are not privy to the backstage specifics of negotiations between Valve and Ys Net, we ask that members take the information contained in the Kickstarter update at face value for now, to prevent this thread turning into a single issue mess.

If there's any breaking news in direct relation to Steam keys, discussion about them can resume. Otherwise, please take it to PMs in the meanwhile.

I have just checked my mails and my Survey is there already. :). I am really tempted to Change my physical copy to the japanese Version, to have the Japan Version in my Collection as well.

Here comes the resident expert in all things Steam. You're right, there's no negotiations involved and they're just making all of it up just to piss you off :rolleyes:

I bet they're behind 9/11 too, the bastards.
Let's take it down a notch, please.

I want to have the peace kept in this thread for at least a little while. I understand if tensions are running high, but enough threads have been tanked over arguments since E3.

That also goes for @GhostTrick.

I'm not sure what's going on with the Steam thing, and I don't see why there would be problems with that when other games haven't had a problem, but I'm not going to argue that point.

If there are potential problems with giving Steam keys, then giving that information now was absolutely the right thing to do - imagine people electing to receive a Steam key in a year time and then not being able to get the key. At least now they still have the refund option available to them.

I'm glad they've stepped up their PR game in the last couple of months.

Back