[PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW MOD NOTE] Kickstarter Update #114 Survey Resend information and PS4 Region Changes and Refund requests.

Refunds will be low, I like to think the majority of people who want Shenmue are already in their 30s (that's not to say people younger are the problem per se) or beyond and have matured to the point where they know what daily battles are reasonable and proportional to engage in.. getting your panties in a bunch having to double click on a different launcher isn't one of them.
Speaking of immaturity, it's amazing how much some people care about $29 that they spent over four years ago.

Also, each retailer has different bonuses so you would have to pre-order multiple times to get everything. But yeah, if you pledged less than $80, care about pre-order bonuses, and don't care about your backer-exclusive case, then you'd might as well take the refund and pre-order somewhere else.

Got it, thanks for the details - in that case I think refund is the best option then, thank you for confirming. I will still buy it somewhere else to get those pre-order bonuses, I don't really care about physical bonuses.

Got it, thanks for the details - in that case I think refund is the best option then, thank you for confirming. I will still buy it somewhere else to get those pre-order bonuses, I don't really care about physical bonuses.
In that case, PSN would be the best option. Amazon would be second best (because they have the Kenpogi training outfit), but it doesn't look like you'll be getting the PS4 avatars or theme anywhere but from PSN.

Just to be clear, the digital "Day 1 Edition" pre-order bonus items are literally things that are already in the game. Things like extra toy capsule machine tickets just to give you an extra boost when you start. Everything is obtainable in the game itself except the extra store specific stuff like the training outfit which will be available separately as DLC anyway.

As you say you don't care about physical bonuses the retail pre-orders won't offer much value to you as the steelbook and limited edition are probably the best option and it's all physcial. If you don't care about that stuff then it's probably better to just keep your Kickstarter version.

People like joining a bandwagon of hate but anyone who half likes Shenmue will have played the game within 3 months of it coming out because people can’t avoid their toys. People bitch about micro transactions in games and then they sell millions of copies.

The game is made with Unreal Engine so even if you play it on PS4 or Steam Epic still get your money so it’s like saying you won’t walk into a McDonald’s and give them your money only to end up using the drive through.

Gamers will be about as good at avoiding this as the Catholic Church is at avoiding a kids private areas. See below for an example:

i2R3gHO_d.jpg

I don't think anything about pre-order bonuses has been confirmed yet. I think it's possible the 'day one' edition stuff will be available with all versions of the game.

Then again, the in-game pre-order bonuses (spirit drinks and whatnot) are so shit, it blows my mind that any of it is considered controversial.

Y
People like joining a bandwagon of hate but anyone who half likes Shenmue will have played the game within 3 months of it coming out because people can’t avoid their toys. People bitch about micro transactions in games and then they sell millions of copies.

The game is made with Unreal Engine so even if you play it on PS4 or Steam Epic still get your money so it’s like saying you won’t walk into a McDonald’s and give them your money only to end up using the drive through.

Gamers will be about as good at avoiding this as the Catholic Church is at avoiding a kids private areas. See below for an example:

i2R3gHO_d.jpg
You're absolutely right. Have no idea how anyone who truly likes Shenmue could stand waiting another year if the game is even half as good as it looks right now.

I don't think anything about pre-order bonuses has been confirmed yet. I think it's possible the 'day one' edition stuff will be available with all versions of the game.

Then again, the in-game pre-order bonuses (spirit drinks and whatnot) are so shit, it blows my mind that any of it is considered controversial.

Yeah it's mind boggling. I don't think people realised it's just shitty booster items that has been done with many other games in the past. Red Dead, GTA, Deus Ex all had booster packs like that as incentives to pre-order and it's just shitty one use items you can find in-game.

Even when you explained to people afterwards they were still outraged. I remember one person saying they're refunding because they're not getting the "full experience" by not getting the peking pack or whatever the fuck it's called these days. Insanity.

That's definitely true. Even the avatars and theme might still be given to backers, the same way they ended up giving the dynamic theme to Bloodstained backers. And yeah, the starter packs are bullshit but I'd still like to have the Kenpogi training outfit and whatnot.

Just to be clear, the digital "Day 1 Edition" pre-order bonus items are literally things that are already in the game. Things like extra toy capsule machine tickets just to give you an extra boost when you start. Everything is obtainable in the game itself except the extra store specific stuff like the training outfit which will be available separately as DLC anyway.

As you say you don't care about physical bonuses the retail pre-orders won't offer much value to you as the steelbook and limited edition are probably the best option and it's all physcial. If you don't care about that stuff then it's probably better to just keep your Kickstarter version.
It's honestly better for the series if it gets more retails sales, so I wouldn't be encouraging anyone to keep their Kickstarter reward instead of pre-ordering from a regular retailer.

It's honestly better for the series if it gets more retails sales, so I wouldn't be encouraging anyone to keep their Kickstarter reward instead of pre-ordering from a regular retailer.

Yeah that's true. I guess it just depends what the person wants. If they don't care about the exclusive case and name in credits then by all means refund and purchase a digital or store copy.

Yeah it's mind boggling. I don't think people realised it's just shitty booster items that has been done with many other games in the past. Red Dead, GTA, Deus Ex all had booster packs like that as incentives to pre-order and it's just shitty one use items you can find in-game.

Even when you explained to people afterwards they were still outraged. I remember one person saying they're refunding because they're not getting the "full experience" by not getting the peking pack or whatever the fuck it's called these days. Insanity.

There's people who think that because there's DLC and a season pass that it literally means that Yu Suzuki has cut Shenmue 3 into pieces and people aren't getting the full game unless they invest in those. They think part of the story is behind an additional paywall.

It's ludicrous to jump to such a conclusion without knowing full details of what the DLC entails and even then, the whole "DLC is evil and is companies milking fanbases for material that should or would ordinarily be free" is such a simplistic, rudimentary take that rarely ever has truth to it with most decent games. Especially when it is stuff that is developed and released post-release. Yes, extra characters and crap that are released on day one is a pretty shit practice, but that's not what's happening here.

Cool that the KS and SB have different slipcases. Even if it is just a different colour or something.

That sucks lol. I had no idea they would have different slipcases and din't back on the slacker backer. I have like three KS copies though so yeah, a bit annoying.

Finished updating my surveys for all 3 accounts....

3 refunds complete

Jk. Now I'll get a NA and Japanese Kickstarter PS4 copies plus 2 physical PC copies. Even if it's just the EGS launcher, this will be very rare since retail PC copies have been cancelled.

I'm hoping someone here will have extra Slacker Backer copies for sale. I'm willing to buy for the different slip cover. As well as any high tier goodies that I wasn't able to back for in 2015 but can afford now.

I'd piss myself if physical PC versions end up on Ebay for $9,999 due to the scarcity and rarity now retail versions have seemingly been cancelled (and of course those requesting refunds reduces the numbers in circulation). That would be sweet justice and fucking hilarious.

Backer: "I hate Epic and the physical edition is a scam, I am getting a refund prompto. I better get that $60 back immediately"
2 months pass
casually browses Ebay
"What's this? A listing for 'Shenmue 3 PC Edition - SUPER RARE'? How much is it going for? $9,999!?" FUUUUUUUCK"

I'd piss myself if physical PC versions end up on Ebay for $9,999 due to the scarcity and rarity now retail versions have seemingly been cancelled (and of course those requesting refunds reduces the numbers in circulation). That would be sweet justice and fucking hilarious.

Backer: "I hate Epic and the physical edition is a scam, I am getting a refund prompto. I better get that $60 back immediately"
2 months pass
casually browses Ebay

"What's this? A listing for 'Shenmue 3 PC Edition - SUPER RARE'? How much is it going for? $9,999!?" FUUUUUUUCK"

Yeah I'd sell 1 for $9,999 if theres a buyer. ?

Finished updating my surveys for all 3 accounts....

3 refunds complete

Jk. Now I'll get a NA and Japanese Kickstarter PS4 copies plus 2 physical PC copies. Even if it's just the EGS launcher, this will be very rare since retail PC copies have been cancelled.

I'm hoping someone here will have extra Slacker Backer copies for sale. I'm willing to buy for the different slip cover. As well as any high tier goodies that I wasn't able to back for in 2015 but can afford now.
Good man.

I'm glad some people still have heart and brains.

"Fuck all of that, they don't give a shit about the fans, they kickstarted the game in no time using the nostalgia factor, and as soon as they saw the possibility to get a publisher they did it and picked up the worst possible one, and than joined Epic. They are in just for the money, the Shenmue brand was used to move money and that's it. This was my first and only Kickstarter, and it went horribly wrong."

Wait the Shenmue name was meant to make money for businesses?!

Back