Ask the Person Below you a Question?

A: Very difficult. I think to an extent they are incommensurable performances because they depict different stages in the life of this character, and they play on different types of horror. Lector as a free and publicly respected consultant is quite different from Lector publicly feared and locked in a cage (I only want to consider Silence of the Lambs here). I think that Mads Mikkelsen's performance works in the context of the show because his appearance is that of almost angelic innocence according to western aesthetic standards, so there is that contrast with the violence. That's fine. But for me personally, I prefer in film to not see much of the details of horror, but only experience the implied violence, to feel fear simply about the reputation of a character backed up by a performance that makes the implied violence believable. Anthony Hopkins was able to inspire that with the way he stood still, stared cold, his diction, an older yet nonetheless powerful looking ordinary man with sophisticated manners. It made it all seem more real and gritty. It intrigues and disgusts. These qualities -- to me -- inspired deeply unsettling fear in Silence of the Lambs (I couldn't take the Hannibal film, so I never saw Red Dragon). He is, therefore, in Silence only, my favorite depiction of Hannibal Lector.

Q: Would you want to know about evidence of other human-like intelligent life in the universe, even if by that same evidence we knew for sure that our great distance and respective technological limits meant we could never meaningfully contact each other?

Last edited:
A: Yeah, defo. Why wouldn’t you? The nature of the evidence itself could lead to some major breakthroughs too. What do they look like? Are all human-level intelligence anthropomorphic mammals? Do they use maths? How did we get this evidence in the first place? Where are they from? How long ago did they exist? Do they still exist?

If the evidence leads to the definitive conclusion that there is life like us out there, then it must also say something of itself, revealing more information. Knowledge is never something to shun, and is the foundation for our entire species’ development.

Q: City life or the countryside?

A: City life. I think if I lived in the opening credits of Emmerdale, and that was my life waking up every morning I would probably eventually be driven over the edge. Personally, I quite like being able to get most things in my day achieved in the shortest amount of time possible and city life is pretty good for that. I can see the appeal of the countryside for some people, it just isn't for me.

Q: Do you feel like you function best during the day, or the night?

A: Absolutely during the night. I get more (working) code written during the hours of 3-5am than I do for the entireity of a standard 9-5 day. Daytime is for hunting and gathering, not activities that are inessential to human life.

Q: What was your favourite subject in school, and why?

A: It's a toss-up between History and Biology, but I think I will go with History - specifically, the history of medicine and Jack the Ripper. Loved that shit. The wars and monarchy stuff bored the fuck out of me, though.

Q: What is your favourite kind of soup?

A: Ministrone or Vegetable soup.

Q: Back in the 90's were you a Sega Nerd or a Nintendo Nut?

A:
tumblr_mesk2koRs41r8ncfmo1_250_zps8804bdd2.gif

Q: What are you most excited to see in Shenmue 3?

A: The remaining leaders of the Chi You Men and (hopefully) the leader of the leaders of the Chi You Men

Q: Worst case of buyer's remorse for you?

A: I'd say either buying another Macbook (to be fair, it was done out of desperation: I spilled a jug of water on the old one, and I wanted to transfer files ASAP without worrying about software/file conversion), or a pair of overpriced garbage headphones recommended to me by a music critic: the headphone jack bent within a month.

Q: If you drive, what sort of vehicle do you drive? Or, if you don't drive, do you wish you did?

Last edited:
A: Drive a 2006, beige-ish, Subaru Outback. My previous car was a 2001, blue, Outback, that I inherited from/shared with my parents.

We are Subaru people; my dad drives an '11, grey Outback and my wife has an '08, silver Impreza; mine is in the best shape of all of them and it was also purchased for the cheapest :D.

It is an absolutely wonderful vehicle, a brute force in the snow (LOVE passing people driving 20 km and sliding everywhere, while I'm straight as an arrow, WITHOUT SNOW TIRES, at 60 km! :D) and incredibly safe and tough, not to mention comfortable and reliable. I swapped the head unit out with a good Pioneer one and it SOUNDS fantastic as well.

I will never drive an non-AWD vehicle ever again as my everyday car and most-likely, I will never leave Subaru.

If there is any issue at all and it is an issue with every Subaru ever made, is that the fuel economy is far less-than stellar; there's a price to pay for solid, heavy vehicles, with full-time AWD.

But I wouldn't trade it for anything, as an everyday car.

So many excellent questions above! Onigiri I have eaten both here (in restaurants and grocery stores) and Japan and of course, they are best in the Nippon. But they are delicious, filling and healthy!

Q: Favourite Yu Suzuki title, aside from the Shenmue games (and if they aren't your favourites of his, then super!)?

Q: Favourite Yu Suzuki title, aside from the Shenmue games (and if they aren't your favourites of his, then super!)?
Virtua Fighter 2.

I got my Saturn late on in the console's life and this was the only game I had for (to be this good takes) ages.

Great game and what an amazing port, the Saturn architecture was notoriously difficult to develop for as (I believe) it wasn't true 32 bit but rather two 16 bit chips bundled together, AM2 utilised more of the processing power by having one core handle the CPU calculations whilst the other was dedicated to player input. Something like that anyway..

Q. What question already posted in this thread would you like to have answered yourself and what would have been your reply?

@Bambi - Probably one of the best questions here! Well done.

Q. Most memorable encounter with a crazy person?

A. One of my closest friends has a twin sister who is not too there mentally. I was at my friends flat with her sister when my friend went out to get something. Her sister was chatting a bunch of nonsense but it eventually go to a point I was genuinely concerned for my life. It first started with her talking about about how men are terrible and let her down, then government conspiracy theories, Illuminati and even Lizard people. Very suddenly, she said "oh my god, you look like my ex-boyfriend" (she is a single mother). Whilst she was saying this, she was pointing a pear of scissors at me, albeit with the sharp end facing her (she was wrapping presents) but it put me on edge. Looking like her boyfriend then went to asking whether I was related to her boyfriend to outright asking if I was her boyfriend.

When it got to the latter, I was calling her sister to get her ass back over asap. Not picking up, I was prepped to punch her in the face and make a run for it as she was genuinely having an episode and started to believe I was her ex-boyfriend in disguise or something along those lines. She literally spent 2-3 minutes or so asking me over and over again and saying stuff like "stop playing with me, you are xxx aren't you? Or are you his twin".

Friend came back in and she just somewhat switched out of her craziness and said to her sister, "Nick looks like XXX doesn't he?" very casually and without the crazy accusation that I actually was her ex-boyfriend. I told my friend about it and ever since then, I made sure I was not left alone with her even for a second.

Q. Anything in life you are fearful you haven't yet or won't attain/experience?

A: Immortality :(

Seriously though. I think one of my main concerns in regard to this is the fact that I will probably never get to visit all the places I might want to within my life. Though I do obviously love the sentiment of just going out into the world and travelling, sometimes the unfortunate reality of funds, time, and sudden dramatic turns that life can take has a habit of putting you on the sidelines for a little while. It's an aspiration, though. Something I've not given up on, nor will I. But I would still say that I'm fearful that I may not get to go and see absolutely everything that I desired. Life is full of compromises, I suppose!

Q: Do you prefer to ask questions, or answer them? There is no wrong answer, I'm just curious.

A: On one hand, I like to ask questions because I am very curious and have a thirst for knowledge, but I find answering questions a great way to think through what is in my head and keep a conversation going. On the other, I have difficulty articulating my thoughts in a fluid and cogent manner, especially in person, so it is sometimes just easier to ask questions and hear what others have to say.

So... it depends, I guess.

Q: What was the last improvement you thought of that you wish you could implement in a game you have played?

A: Being able to skip the credits at the end of Assassin’s Creed III.

Q: Why do you deflect praise/compliments?

A: If you'll indulge my (Aristotelian-flavored) philosophical training for a moment: depending on context, I don't deflect.

Though I've an admittedly English temperament regarding compliments, I suspect Aristotle's right to say that humility (Latin humus, ground) means you're grounded and know precisely where you are in the scheme of things, falling to neither extreme of self-loathing or arrogant exaggeration. Even though it naturally makes me squeamish, I try not to shut down sincere praise lest they think I'm cold or indifferent. The rules apply, though: if someone is trying to cut me down or give lavish unrealistic praise, I do cast that sort of thing to the side.

Q: If given the imaginary platform of a world audience, what's a particular piece of advice-- philosophical, practical, anecdotal, etc.-- that you think everyone ought to hear?

A: Without a doubt, always be honest and tell the truth.

If you fuck up; admit it.
If you stole something; fess up.
If you've disobeyed your parents; come clean.

I'm not going to be all high and mighty and say that I do not lie or embellish, but I rarely if ever, produce fallacies or fib; if the world was honest with each other, people wouldn't do half the bad shit they do and people would be set straight on things. Adultery would be much less common, for example.

Its helped keep my nose clean (not lying, I mean, as I have a major problem where my conscience literally takes over everything I do or say lol) throughout my life and it continues to make me easy to get along with or as we say in Italian, "D'accordo," with everyone: if you do something wrong, I will call you out on it, but I'll be nice and sensitive to you, if the situation calls for it.

You even see it with crime; someone on trial for first degree murder and the death penalty, can have it reduced to second degree or get the death penalty removed, if they admit guilt; it is just as much a human condition to lie, as it is to commend someone for being honest and work to make things better for all involved.

So yeah; be honest and truthful with everyone.

Q: Have you ever travelled to see your favourite sports team play a game?

A: I’m a season ticket holder so I travel to see them regularly... down the road.

I’ve been to a few away games, though not nearly as many as I should. Bramhall Lane (twice), Villa Park, Wembley numerous times, Ewood Park, possibly one or two others n’all during my “fuzzy memory” days.

Kicking myself for never going to Upton Park, and I’ve always wanted to go to the Molineux.

I’ve also been to Sincil Bank and Edgeley Park, but not to watch City.

Q: Are you more productive working from home, or away? Bonus question: Do you enjoy working as an individual more so than as part of a group?

Interesting questions, especially as a home worker myself. For me it's a mix. I had a job where it was strictly working from home. The constant hours alone and silence drove me to be depressed and I actually sought out counselling for the first time in my life. My current job there is a very healthy mix. I do prefer to work from home as it saves cost, time and sometimes I appreciate the peace and quiet. However, when I am behind on work I do make an effort to get out to the office as there is no TV to turn on or bed to sleep in. The opposite also applies, if I am behind I would stay at home and just power through like a mad man.

So my final answer is a mix but probably leaning towards working from home. I typically hate working as part of a group as I tend to find people see it as a perfect opportunity to throw their ego around and things just end up more complicated than they need to be. I would rather, at work for example, someone tells me what needs to be done and I'll go out and coordinate with the relevant people. Similar story at university. I always used to get grouped with people who were not that fussed. I would happily do all the work and submit it for the entire group.

What are the 10 most expensive things you have purchased?

Back