Random Shenmue Thoughts

Everyone else is planning to empty out the bottle and keep whiskey in it too, right?

Can you smell vengeance, arcade machines and toy capsules?

We can!

Grab your Shenmue colonge here:

Interesting times.
Let's hope that if you put some on to go out of the town, you don't get this reaction...

index.php

Tobacco as a note makes me think of the bar quests in the first game.

Got the new issue of Retro Gamer today (Halo cover - issue #227) and there are a few tiny references to Shenmue. Nothing major, just the odd reference when referring to other games, but there's a feature where the team talk about a topic each month. This month was about Christmas games (or games they like to play at Christmas). Once again the editor made a slighty snarky remark about Shenmue.

I think the best thing we can take away from this month's chat is that we've been able to discuss Christmas without [staff member] harping on too much about Shenmue. It's a Christmas miracle!

Going back to the issue a couple of years ago with Shenmue as its cover piece, reading the editor's comments on the front page, you can tell he is damning the games with faint praise. I know it's not for everyone, but this is the 3rd time i've noticed this in recent months (he more or less said he doesn't like the series and it's overrated in an issue not too long ago) and it's a shame really. Still respect the guy as he's been the editor for well over 15 years now and I do love the magazine. Just wish that things were a little different really. Still, at least other staff members like and champion it.

Nice review of Shenmue by Graveyard Gamer on Spotify:

Happy 20th anniversary of the PAL release of Shenmue II
View attachment 13498

I remember playing Shenmue II and when you're in Hong Kong in one of the quarters a plane flies by, I remember thinking it was gonna be Tom or Goro coming to help.
Probably the most beautiful box art ever. I can still remember these being sold in the bargain bin of HMV in Oxford Street for £29.99!

This part of the end credits always sends a shiver down my spine. It's still has an impact on me no matter how many times I replay the first game.

Started a fresh Shenmue playthrough yesterday. Already looking forward to driving the forklift :giggle:

Quick question: what's the most you can get done on that first day? Managed to deck everyone in Heartbeats Bar and went to bed before curfew feeling pretty pleased with myself :LOL:

Started a fresh Shenmue playthrough yesterday. Already looking forward to driving the forklift :giggle:

Quick question: what's the most you can get done on that first day? Managed to deck everyone in Heartbeats Bar and went to bed before curfew feeling pretty pleased with myself :LOL:
That's basically as far as you can get in the first day without glitching, if I'm recalling correctly.

I always get Heartbeats done on the first day (save for me 1st-ever playthrough), then go to bed, so I've never tried to do anything else :LOL:

I always get Heartbeats done on the first day (save for me 1st-ever playthrough), then go to bed, so I've never tried to do anything else :LOL:
Do you not talk to Ono-san immediately after walking up the stairs back to street level? If you're fast enough, you can talk to Ono-san and then catch Tsuruoka-san just as he's locking up his shop, except the latter will just give a generic line instead of any information about Charlie.

Joke about the Shenmue dub all you want I'm fine with that, but Corey Marshall gave one of the best screams I've ever heard in video game history.

I'm playing Shenmue through for the first time with Japanese audio, and haven't got used to the distinct lack of Coreyness yet :unsure: Shenmue 2 I'm used to in Japanese, but the English dub in the first game is so ingrained into my memory.

Last edited:
Do you not talk to Ono-san immediately after walking up the stairs back to street level? If you're fast enough, you can talk to Ono-san and then catch Tsuruoka-san just as he's locking up his shop, except the latter will just give a generic line instead of any information about Charlie.

You know what? It's possible I have spoken to Ono-san, but have to wait 'til the next day to get started on the Charlie stuff.

So yeah, perhaps I'm mis-remembering.

I'm playing Shenmue through for the first time with Japanese audio, and haven't got used to the distinct lack of Coreyness yet :unsure: Shenmue 2 I'm used to in Japanese, but the English dub in the first game is so ingrained into my memory.

You and me both.

Playing the HD in Japanese, it didn't have the same feel, even if it is the better dub.

Ryo makes #9. To be fair, Triple Jump are pretty big Shenmue fans. Take it in the spirit in which it's intended, mind as it's not entirely mean spirited (and they do big up Nozomi!) Did get a couple of gentle chuckles out of it.

"10 Video Game Protagonists That Nobody Likes"

I like Ryo, i like Squall, i like Chris Redfiled, i like Dante but i prefer the Dante of the PS2/PS3 games, and i know other people that likes this characters as well so i really don't understand the title of this video.

The other characters i don't know well because i need to play the games.

I noticed a lot of times that some people talk bad about characters that are different like Ryo and Squall for example.

Characters that are more reserved and quiet, characters that have problems and difficulties in expressing their feelings and with social things. this characters have traumas and much more.

I noticed that some people just prefer to say that this characters are emo, dumb, douchbag and other things instead of making a deep analysis about the characters, i never understood this, people calling Squall emo and douchbag and other things, a similar thing happen with Ryo, a similar thing happen with Sasuke of the anime Naruto as well and with other characters that are different.

I completely understand why Ryo is the way he is, why Sasuke is the way he is, why Squall is the way he is, all I'm saying is that i understand the things that the characters have gone through, i feel empathy, and people that played FFVIII till the end knows what happened with Squall, the ending of FFVIII is beautiful to me, specially about Squall ending in the story, and this is one of the things that makes this characters so interesting and special in my opinion.

Some characters learn a lot of things and have big developments and when this happen is beautiful in my opinion.

Back