Random Shenmue Thoughts

What if Yu Suzuki's dad got killed by the Chinese cartel? Did Yu Suzuki team up with a gang called the Heavens? We need answers!

Of course he did, he is the real Ryo Hazuki. 😁

Talking serious now i think is interesting that Yu Suzuki putted in Shenmue some experiences he had in his life and this is really special in my opinion, for example Meng Cun really exist and this is where Yu Suzuki met Bajiquan Grandmaster Wu Lian Zhi, now i wonder if Yu Suzuki practice any martial arts.

Yu Hazuki3.jpg

Yu Hazuki4.jpg

image0.jpg

1636289815456.png

Oh, one more thing, even the surnames are similar.

Hazuki and Suzuki 😊

Last edited:
A wonderful article was posted on Eurogamer today:

I responded with this:

Thank you for this wonderful article. I am very biased, but Shenmue means the world to me. People who were into gaming from the PS2-era onwards might not understand how forward thinking the game was at the time as it introduced many things we now take for granted. I was 15 at the time it came out and the game felt like the future. I read a great quote saying that Shenmue was the route not taken when it came to open world games and I think that in an era of noisy, bloated games, there's something special about an inward, intimate game.

I hope you get to play Shenmue II and III as they are truly special in their own ways. Shenmue III was a bit of a slog at times, but if you take your time with it and adapt to its rhythm, then it rewards you in many ways.

At the end of Shenmue II, there is a special section that lasts around 4 hours where you talk about your friends and how they're getting on. Little things like Nozomi's photo have special cut scenes, so I love that there is a lot of initimate things like that. In Shenmue III, at night you talk to your companion and get to learn about each other's lives and that of your friends. It's wonderful.

The Shenmue community is wonderful (for the most part!) and actively encourages collaboration rather than competition to ensure further games in the series gets made. We have the anime coming which looks lovely and it is my sincere hope that Shenmue IV becomes a reality

If you believe so, then on the 4th of every month we use the hashtag #letsgetshenmue4

Thanks again for an eloquent article. I appreciate Shenmue isn't for everybody and I have no time for those who mock it needlessly, but if people play it and can't get to grips, that's OK."

The article also posted this which i've never read. Another fascinating read - https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/shenmue-iii/shenmue-iii-review/

Last edited:
Great read! While it’s hard to pinpoint my exact first playthrough something that did strike me about that article was I remember for the life of me also taking an eternity to find Hearbeats bar.

It’s laughable now given most of us know the map like the back of our hands, but at the time, Doubita felt sizeable and unlike the sequels, NPC’s couldn’t just take you to locations which meant when you did find stuff like this it felt like a real achievement.

I remember that in my first playthrough it was hard for me to find the Heartbeats bar as well, now is easy for me to find all the places in Yokosuka.

In another post i said this...

"I'm on the day January 26 now, i'm on the part in the story where Goro will find a job for Ryo so i hope i will finish the game with 100% of the things before the day February 23, i really want to use my save in Shenmue II with all the things i got in the first game."

I saw a thread now where i learned that the boat trip for Hong Kong takes 20 days, i did not imagined that this detail is in the game, this is why i thought i could finish the game on the day February 22 for example and that i could see Fangmei's birthday this way, but we are talking about Shenmue, one of the most detailed games of all time in my opinion.

I decided that in this playthrough i will do 100% of the things in the game. This time i will see for the first time the Sakura like we can see in this image in march/april and the bad ending, maybe i will use this save in Shenmue II but i will have to start a new game to do what i really want. What is the best/efficient way to max all the moves in the game? thanks in advance.

unknown.png

I finished the first game 3 or 4 times and It is amazing how many new things i’m seeing and learning this time, every playthrough i see different dialogues, different scenes, different phone calls and much more, i learned so much this time about this beautiful game. Shenmue is a beauty work of art to me, a masterpiece to me and time will not change this.

Great read! While it’s hard to pinpoint my exact first playthrough something that did strike me about that article was I remember for the life of me also taking an eternity to find Hearbeats bar.

It’s laughable now given most of us know the map like the back of our hands, but at the time, Doubita felt sizeable and unlike the sequels, NPC’s couldn’t just take you to locations which meant when you did find stuff like this it felt like a real achievement.
You think Dobuita seemed sizeable the first time around? I got lost in the Hazuki house during my very first playthrough and had to start the game again 😅

in the late 90s there was quite a few of cheap shows on uk tv. they were normally on very late at night.

one show that popped in my head was "bits" a gaming tv show. probably already posted but i looked it up and they did a shenmue review.

Given all the controversies surrounding recent release of GTA trilogy, although released in far from a perfect state, d3t release of Shenmue looks a little less egregious.
Have been thinking similar.

I know people wonder what we might have got if d3t were allowed to finish their more elaborate graphical remaster work, but I'm glad we got a release that is true to how the games looked on Dreamcast/Xbox rather than a half-cooked visual upgrade.

Last edited:
I maxed all the hand moves and kick moves for the first time in the first game, after that i putted "Train throw moves only" but what is the best way to max the throw moves in the game?

It is not possible to train throw moves alone, we can train with Fuku-san only one time per day, in the story fights the throw moves can get better as well but what happened when we put "Train trow moves only?"

I remember i saw one person saying that when we put this option the throw moves will fill little by little automatic when we are in the practice mode or something like this, anyone here know how the best way to train throw moves?

Another question, what exactly we can carry on of the first game to the second game?

My guess is that we can carry on capsule toys, moves, scrolls, story items, maybe cassette tapes but i remember that we don't have cassette tapes in Shenmue II. I feel that the clues of the first game don't carry on to Shenmue II, i'm not sure.

In the save i'm playing now i'm on the beginning of February, if i use this save in Shenmue II i will probably lose Fangmei's birthday. 😢

This time my main focus is the "complete" notebook in different saves, i will make a video with the complete notebook for my Shenmue channel.

i think after i finish the game like this i will start a new game, i will try to do 100% of the things in the game and try to finish the game at the end of January, but i feel that in this save i will not try to do the "complete notebook" and i have 3 reasons for this.

First reason is because we can't complete the notebook with just one save, it is not possible, second reason is that i really feel that the clues of the first game don't carry on to the second game, so with this 2 reasons i don't really feel that the notebook count for a 100% save file.

Third reason is that if you try to do the "complete" notebook journey you will see that you have to spend a lot of money in Lapis with the Fortune Teller, in this other playthrough i can use this money to buy the other things that will really carry on to Shenmue II.

So my plan is to have 2 cleared game data, one cleared game data with almost 100% of the notebook, with 100% of all the things i can carry on to Shenmue II and maybe close to date of the bad ending, and another cleared game data where i will have 100% of the things i can carry on to Shenmue II, without worrying about the notebook and ending the game at the end of January so i can see Fangmei’s birthday.

Someone here did 100% of the things in the game and was able to finish at the end of January? how was your strategy for this?

In the first game what you really count for a 100% game data? thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I maxed all the hand moves and kick moves for the first time in the first game, after that i putted "Train throw moves only" but what is the best way to max the throw moves in the game?

It is not possible to train throw moves alone, we can train with Fuku-san only one time per day, in the story fights the throw moves can get better as well but what happened when we put "Train trow moves only?"

I remember i saw one person saying that when we put this option the throw moves will fill little by little automatic when we are in the practice mode or something like this, anyone here know how the best way to train throw moves?

Another question, what exactly we can carry on of the first game to the second game?

My guess is that we can carry on capsule toys, moves, scrolls, story items, maybe cassette tapes but i remember that we don't have cassette tapes in Shenmue II. I feel that the clues of the first game don't carry on to Shenmue II, i'm not sure.

In the save i'm playing now i'm on the beginning of February, if i use this save in Shenmue II i will probably lose Fangmei's birthday. 😢

This time my main focus is the "complete" notebook in different saves, i will make a video with the complete notebook for my Shenmue channel.

i think after i finish the game like this i will start a new game, i will try to do 100% of the things in the game and try to finish the game at the end of January, but i feel that in this save i will not try to do the "complete notebook" and i have 3 reasons for this.

First reason is because we can't complete the notebook with just one save, it is not possible, second reason is that i really feel that the clues of the first game don't carry on to the second game, so with this 2 reasons i don't really feel that the notebook count for a 100% save file.

Third reason is that if you try to do the "complete" notebook journey you will see that you have to spend a lot of money in Lapis with the Fortune Teller, in this other playthrough i can use this money to buy the other things that will really carry on to Shenmue II.

So my plan is to have 2 cleared game data, one cleared game data with almost 100% of the notebook, with 100% of all the things i can carry on to Shenmue II and maybe close to date of the bad ending, and another cleared game data where i will have 100% of the things i can carry on to Shenmue II, without worrying about the notebook and ending the game at the end of January so i can see Fangmei’s birthday.

Someone here did 100% of the things in the game and was able to finish at the end of January? how was your strategy for this?

In the first game what you really count for a 100% game data? thanks in advance.
I remember maxing out all my "hand moves" when I was but a young lad.

Edit: And they said I'd go blind!

i think bluemue posted it years ago but does any one have an image of that japanese magazine/guide showing the complete qte battle arcade sequence? ( ie what buttons to press ). if i remember correctly bluemue said the whole qte sequence is never ending and just repeats.

i did try doing a search but i cant find it online.

Can you smell vengeance, arcade machines and toy capsules?

We can!

Grab your Shenmue colonge here:

Interesting times.

Back