Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive for PC Version!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, in the grand scheme of things, the upset reactions seem pretty disproportionate to me and I have to wonder what is going on in peoples' lives to enact this sort of rage. I'll give you an example, I just heard that a friend's 3-year-old daughter had to be rushed to ER today because of irregular breathing and they found some sort of mass in her lung. At this point it's unclear what it is, but it doesn't sound like it's going to be anything good. So that to me is something to feel really strong feelings about. Having to install another game launcher is not a big problem in the same world as that. A business changing their method of distribution is not something that registers in my worldview as a betrayal or any other thing worthy of inducing rage in myself.

I also feel like whining over $29 you pledged four years ago is fucking pathetic.

And if you donated much more than that, then you care about Shenmue enough to not let the app you have to launch the game on make a difference to you.
Devil's advocate, but people who pledged more than $29 are mad or at least disappointed about this.

Then again - if your fandom ends at the point of using another launcher even just for one game... I dunno. I'm not jazzed about having to use EGS personally, but there's very little that would stop me playing this game.

Full disclosure I’m playing this on PS4 but many people are angry over last minute changes on platform they had already specified. Is this for limited time or permanent exclusive? Again details are hazy but speaks to how poor communication has been through whole process.

Again it wouldn’t stop me playing the game but I understand the anger

1.) yu was must have been lied to. someone pulled a viel over him. DS is very likely culprit.
2.) dead on arrival is very likely now
3.) S4 is now looking very brim since backers are trashing their fandom en masses
4.)I'm near shedding tears man. SNS everywhere I go is freaking dumpster fire when it comes to what has passed today for s3's pr...

Hey, wild though here, but what if by having some sort of agreement from Epic Games, Epic Games will push the game to audiences and get the game known? Like, if they started a big push in marketing for the game on their store to get more interest from those who haven't played the first 2? Just a thought, I know the install base for them is still far less than steam but yea

I obviously don't support them though, steam all the way. It's so sad seeing so many people drop the game. We're over 1000 people now.

1.) yu was must have been lied to. someone pulled a viel over him. DS is very likely culprit.
3.) S4 is now looking very brim since backers are trashing their fandom en masses
4.)I'm near shedding tears man. SNS everywhere I go is freaking dumpster fire when it comes to what has passed today for s3's pr...

Please keep faith, everything will be rectified in due time...there are many with agendas who wish to see Shenmue III and the saga fail...the raging minority do not represent the reserved masses...

Yeah, in the grand scheme of things, the upset reactions seem pretty disproportionate to me and I have to wonder what is going on in peoples' lives to enact this sort of rage. I'll give you an example, I just heard that a friend's 3-year-old daughter had to be rushed to ER today because of irregular breathing and they found some sort of mass in her lung. At this point it's unclear what it is, but it doesn't sound like it's going to be anything good. So that to me is something to feel really strong feelings about. Having to install another game launcher is not a big problem in the same world as that. A business changing their method of distribution is not something that registers in my worldview as a betrayal or any other thing worthy of inducing rage in myself.
You’re right. The way people are acting in general is reprehensible. Be upset, but the shit on Kickstarter is turning my stomach. I spent a ton of money on this game and I don’t feel entitled to antything more than the game.

I also feel like whining over $29 you pledged four years ago is fucking pathetic.

And if you donated much more than that, then you care about Shenmue enough to not let the app you have to launch the game on make a difference to you.

No, calling people pathetic who poured their hard earned money into backing a project we believed in and listened to a man in tears saying we can make it happen together while losing power during the countdown to the kickstarter ending and then watching a corporate conglamorate like deepsilver basically take away what we were promised is pathethic.

Your welcome by the way, had it not been for the kickstarters, there would be no Shenmue III. Yu Suzuki said so himself.

Some folks on Kickstarter and social media are taking it way too far on Yu Sukuzi-sama’s birthday...mostly over $29 and an alternative platform...have these people even played Shenmue? Have they no respect?

It's surreal for me to see people begging for a Steam release. I backed the kickstarter game 'Broken Sword: The Serpents Curse' a few years before Shenmue 3. They promised it would be drm free but suddenly announced near release that it would only be released through Steam.
This caused a similar firestorm among backers but this time Steam was the enemy! People were furious and asking for refunds etc...

The important point is that they backed down after seeing all the hate and did release a drm free version alongside the Steam version. I have a bad feeling it won't be so easy here since there are probably contracts signed with epic games that would make a turnaround difficult.

Hey, wild though here, but what if by having some sort of agreement from Epic Games, Epic Games will push the game to audiences and get the game known? Like, if they started a big push in marketing for the game on their store to get more interest from those who haven't played the first 2? Just a thought, I know the install base for them is still far less than steam but yea

I obviously don't support them though, steam all the way. It's so sad seeing so many people drop the game. We're over 1000 people now.
Like most of Epic's business practices around the EGS, they're very aggressive about what they do. If they consider this a big get (which they might, I personally thought it would fly under their radar so today has been a bit of a shock obviously), then they might push it quite hard on the store itself.

For all the bad things about this news and the reaction to it, it does lower the bar to profitability a lot further than before. That's the silver lining in the big, grey cloud.

You're complaining about the platform that was going to get the fewest sales in the first place. PC sales for single player games are a small fraction of sales compared to actual game consoles.

This decision won't affect the bulk of sales which are expected to be on PS4.

No, calling people pathetic who poured their hard earned money into backing a project we believed in and listened to a man in tears saying we can make it happen together while losing power during the countdown to the kickstarter ending and then watching a corporate conglamorate like deepsilver basically take away what we were promised is pathethic.

Your welcome by the way, had it not been for the kickstarters, there would be no Shenmue III. Yu Suzuki said so himself.

Exactly. No one has to agree with why others are upset but calling them fucking pathetic is just that.

Can i ask some advice, as a non PC gamer who has no dog in this race, a question? Also, i cannot emphasise this enough, i would like impartial, unbiased, black and white facts if possible:

how does this benefit Shenmue? More specifically, financially, and in terms of the future of the franchise.

The reason i want simple black and white facts here, is because i am simply going into this from an outsider perspective, and here's where i am at. So there's this HUGE negative backlash from backers, and my obvious emotion is fear and worry about the series. Is this damaging to the series from a financial standpoint. From what i can see, there are predictions that this move will seriously hamper sales.... OK. Whilst those are predictions/opinions, lets take those as fact.
I just cannot get my head around how Deep Silver, or whoever made this call, sat down and made a decision that would hamper their profits from their investment from doing something like this. Its illogical. It wouldn't have been done on a whim, or a roll of the dice. Someone, or some team will have crunched the numbers here and decided that this was best to ensure the most profits. I remember some facts a while back about sales percentages being better than Steam, as well as something about the Unreal engine?

I am just trying to get some facts going, and hopefully some sort of hope that this series isn't dead, or left hanging, as some of you are predicting. Deep Silver have invested in this project, and i just don't understand the logic that they will do that, then make such a drastic move such as this, to jeopardise the profits from that investment.

If we think about this logically, Peter, then it becomes clear.

Deep Silver & YsNet took the risk of making the SIII PC version an EGS exclusive because Epic made it clear that they'll pay them for dropping a large PC market like Steam.

That can mean a lot of things.

First, YsNet wanted to deepen SIII's immersion abilities. Rising costs & a tight schedule hobbled that. That's what made Epic's offer irresistible.

Second, Epic seems to have been impressed by SIII's progress and wanted to help YsNet make it even better. That, then, likely speaks well on its sales potential.

Also, it's possible that one of the things that caused the SIII delay was the game being scooped up by EGS. What else explains that deluxe version on their new page?

Now people are telling Yu Suzuki-sama to commit seppuku...all over an alternative way to download Shenmue III...on his birthday...

Think about that for a second...

Do we really want these folks supporting the Shenmue saga from here on out anyways?

Now people are telling Yu Suzuki-sama to commit seppuku...all over an alternative way to download Shenmue III...on his birthday...

Think about that for a second...

Do we really want these folks supporting the Shenmue saga from here on out anyways?

Yu Suzuki has no control over the decisions Deep Silver makes and assuming Japans laws regarding corporations is the same as the United States or similar, Yu Suzuki is only one man and probably has little to do with these decisions outside of creative control and development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back