Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive for PC Version!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yu Suzuki has no control over the decisions Deep Silver makes and assuming Japans laws regarding corporations is the same as the United States or similar, Yu Suzuki is only one man and probably has little to do with these decisions outside of creative control and development.

Tell that to the folks threatening him...

I'm glad to see that the comments at the Shenmue Dojo are more positive because it's a real nightmare out there across the rest of the net. I backed for the PS4 version so this Epic deal doesn't affect me personally but I can't deny that this was a colossal PR mistake. This is worst I've seen it since the Kickstarter campaign began. I want to see people move past this and celebrate the long awaited release of Shenmue 3 in November but I don't see that happening without a lot of work to counteract all the bad press.

I once heard a wise man say "The internet never forgets; it very rarely forgives."

You can say it's a small portion of a larger group of fans. Nothing worth getting into. I'm telling you--all it takes is a few very vocal people to cause things to spiral out of control in this multimedia, connected age.

The mob mentality is very real and on the internet it can and will crush anything in it's path. It does not take long. We've all read the horror stories of innocent lives IRL crushed due to it. You think it cannot do the same to a company?

Look how fast GameStop did an about-face when the article came out about shady dealings, employees fearful for their jobs due to unrealistic sales goals, etc. The mob took hold and it was all over unless they took action. Was all of it true, though? No. But it didn't matter.

And this mob is pissed. This isn't a flash in the pan, gone by tomorrow deal. This is only going to get worse.

Their silence and stubborn insistence to do the wrong thing(issue the correct keys or refunds) is only going to make the voices louder.

This could very well cost us the series, guys. I backed PS4, but I've seen enough of these things happen to see it is rarely roses on the other side.

I'm glad to see that the comments at the Shenmue Dojo are more positive because it's a real nightmare out there across the rest of the net. I backed for the PS4 version so this Epic deal doesn't affect me personally but I can't deny that this was a colossal PR mistake. This is worst I've seen it since the Kickstarter campaign began. I want to see people move past this and celebrate the long awaited release of Shenmue 3 in November but I don't see that happening without a lot of work to counteract all the bad press.

Not positive..just more calm because we have dealed with this on the Dojo before like when Shenmue II was canceled in the US and released instead on Xbox. We already know about the rockh history.

There are very serious concerns about this.

1) The publicity is very negative at least from most of the gaming media and internet comments, this is all over the KS page, facebook, twitter, youtube. This kind of publicity can cause very serious harm and negative publicity especially for new users. Look at how borderlands 2 and metro suffered over the same issue regarding Steam.

2) The trust relationship. Remember that when Shenmue 3 was announced, there was already controversy about where our money was going and Sonys involvement, we were assured all our money was going towards development. Yu Suzuki publically expressed he needed funding for this yo happen, we were assured of the dire conditions and knew the budget was small and that there was controversy over the American promoter being used at that time. Deep Silver being signed indicated either the possibility money ran dry or there were other benefits. The fact the game was delayed and we had been promised multiple things like KS exclusives, a tech demo, a steam physical copy these are serious issues. It would have been no different had someone paid a high tier to fly to Japan and were then told due to conditions you were meeting someone else in a different location. The trust factor has been breached in many fans opinion.

3) Communication, there has been a huge disconnect, if the emails are true basically telling fans no refunds will be issued and being dismissive or censoring comments, that can only lead to further resentment. There are valid concerns people have over Epic. There are DRM concerns, always online activation, Epics privacy model and involvement with the Chinese government, and various other issues. Additionally Epic offering an exclusive collectors edition seems to really rub kickstarter backers the wrong way as if our money meant nothing.

It is what it is, regardless, I am sure contracts were signed and theres not much we can do about it but that doesn't mean people are going to simply remain quiet. Understanding their anger is part of realizing the serious mistakes made here.

Again, I understand the anger. What I don't understand is how far some are going with it. Seriously, I'm starting to think that a lot of the reactions online are coming from people who never liked or played Shenmue. I mean, wishing Mr. Suzuki to die of bone cancer? Come on now.

And, to back to the trailer, how does SIII look like an early 2000s game? Does anybody remember how games looked like back then? Hell, GTAIII or GTA:VC, big sellers for the PS2, look crappy today. SIII does not look like them at all. In my opinion, the main thing that needs work is the look of the characters.

I’m surprised that nobody is getting mad about the season pass. The Epic games deal (while bad) only affects a fraction of backers. That we will have to pay more to experience the full game that we funded kind of irks me a little. I suppose you could argue that backers will get what they paid for, but it feels to me like it’s our money that’s being used to develop the DLC as well as the game and as such, we’ll be expected to pay for it twice. I won’t be too bothered if the DLC turns out to be a few extra moves or outfits, but usually a ‘season pass’ covers story based DLC. Have a feeling things like the boat chapter and any other flashback scenes are going to be locked behind another paywall. Greed is a funny thing.

Not positive..just more calm because we have dealed with this on the Dojo before like when Shenmue II was canceled in the US and released instead on Xbox. We already know about the rockh history.

There are very serious concerns about this.

[...]

It is what it is, regardless, I am sure contracts were signed and theres not much we can do about it but that doesn't mean people are going to simply remain quiet. Understanding their anger is part of realizing the serious mistakes made here.
I agree, serious mistakes were made and the anger being vented online is real. This can't be dismissed as the work of a few trolls stirring things up, hardcore Shenmue fans who've been on this journey since the Dreamcast days are feeling understandably betrayed by this deal. Suffice to say, this is not the sort of publicity that Shenmue 3 needs so close to release.

Even so, I still believe in Shenmue 3 and Yu Suzuki. As a Shenmue fan I have to look for a way to salvage this situation and see a path forward that will mean success for Shenmue 3. Moreover, as a lifelong Sega fan I'm all for supporting improbable causes well past the point of sanity, heck I even own a 32X. At times like this I remind myself that even the existence of Shenmue 3 in this form is nothing short of a huge victory. We've come this far, we can't let the story of Shenmue as a franchise end on a tragic note.

Tell that to the folks threatening him...

Are there really people threatening him? if so then Jesus fucking Christ, would those people calm the fuck down? It's not the end of the world. Be reasonable instead of being nuts.

I’m surprised that nobody is getting mad about the season pass. The Epic games deal (while bad) only affects a fraction of backers. That we will have to pay more to experience the full game that we funded kind of irks me a little. I suppose you could argue that backers will get what they paid for, but it feels to me like it’s our money that’s being used to develop the DLC as well as the game and as such, we’ll be expected to pay for it twice. I won’t be too bothered if the DLC turns out to be a few extra moves or outfits, but usually a ‘season pass’ covers story based DLC. Have a feeling things like the boat chapter and any other flashback scenes are going to be locked behind another paywall. Greed is a funny thing.

Kingdom Come Deliverance...had kind of a similar history with Deep Silver...

I wae an original backer for that as well although ultimately the game did come out for both Steam and GOG but I think the keys were already generated. My concern is pertaining to always on DRM. It has created a nightmare for me with GTA V on PC.

And, to back to the trailer, how does SIII look like an early 2000s game? Does anybody remember how games looked like back then? Hell, GTAIII or GTA:VC, big sellers for the PS2, look crappy today. SIII does not look like them at all. In my opinion, the main thing that needs work is the look of the characters.

Games like Uncharted and Heavy Rain have much more realistic character models than those shown in the latest trailer. I understand that they were AAA games with a lot of money behind them, but technology has come a long way and the $10m+ they’ve had to work with is no small amount.

As I said, I believe that the characters looking the way they do is a stylistic choice so as to not create too much of a disconnect between the first two games and the third; but to a new player it hardly looks appealing. Couple this with the terrible news coverage the new game has been getting lately and it’s hard to see casual players giving the game a chance.

The terrible ports we got last year were a real punch to the gut of this franchise. This Epic Games fiasco might just be the knockout blow.

In here.... Kinda yea.

But out there, it's a massive shitshow. The Kickstarter page is their primary point of contact. They will more than likely not read here or even ResetEra. But the comments on there...... I mean someone already posted the cancer comment.

That's not even making me angry. That just brings me right to sadness, and close to tears to be honest. Anyone who has had the pleasure of meeting the man and shaking his hand would know exactly what I am talking about.

Anyone who thinks for 1 millisecond that Yu Suzuki has scammed anyone, or did this with ANY sort of malicious intent... No offence, but you don't have a clue, and couldn't be more wrong. I am calling it a night.

I agree with Peters last few posts. The stuff being said is sickening.

I have yet to make a comment on the kickstarter page, but I just made one I'm a 185 dollars in I want that art book, and if it ends up being digital oh man I am going to be pissed.

"I went and switched from a steam disc to a PS4 copy hopefully I will get a PS4 copy because I now own a PS4 I did not own one when I first did the survey several months ago for a steam copy. This is not cool Ys Net, not cool at all I'm not a user of the epic game store and I'm a loyal steam user. Again not cool."

I have never used Epic games outside of one or two rounds of FortNite.

It let me change from steam to PS4 which is good I now have a PS4, but this pisses me off and it's not good.

the Epic games store was not even a thing when the kickstarter launched, which is all the more reason this is garbage!

On that note this YouTube video and comments /sigh.

I have been watching a lot of his videos and when I saw this one in my sub box at work today my heart sank I want to see people loving this game, but these kind of business practices and last minute switches are not good at all.

If this wasn't a Kickstarter, I guess I wouldn't be as disheartened about the EGS exclusivity. I think it feels more personal as PC fans and the Steam Community who have pledged their money were expecting it to be released on Steam.

They should have at least asked us to vote or something to check if we were happy with it being an EGS exclusive to get some feedback, or offered some sort of apology. They can't be that clueless. I can only think that by alienating the PC version and preventing steam sales, in return for exclusivity they will offer money for Shenmue IV?

If you want to change your order from Steam EGS Exclusive to PS4 I think you can do it at this link:

I still cant believe it happened, seriously...
What the hell is wrong with them. Who the fuck though this E3 showing was a good idea ? The trailer, the announcement, they November delay...

And as a backer, I never felt so betrayed. I made peace with the visuals. I made peace with cut features. Heck I was even willing to forgive if Baisha couldn't be in.

But selling us for a few bucks, that didnt even served to improve the game, that's gross.

I don't have a problem with Epic Store.
Edit: We can not change it. It was their decision for doing that. It's strange of course. But look at Cyberpunk 2077: You NEED an account on gog for downloading and playing this game. There will be no retail-version like Witcher 3 were you was able to install the game from discs. It's the same strange decision, but this game will be big success for CDPR. And Shenmue 3 will be big success, because the game looks fun and exciting. I can not wait to continue the story of Ryo's Journey.

Last edited:
I still cant believe it happened, seriously...
What the hell is wrong with them. Who the fuck though this E3 showing was a good idea ? The trailer, the announcement, they November delay...

And as a backer, I never felt so betrayed. I made peace with the visuals. I made peace with cut features. Heck I was even willing to forgive if Baisha couldn't be in.

But selling us for a few bucks, that didnt even served to improve the game, that's gross.

Ok but the trailer was good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back