Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive for PC Version!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit with a ban at you-know-where for giving my honest opinion on the EGS situation -- wow ? I've never experienced a forum that tries to railroad the conversation so heavily and apply arbitrary rules to threads based on...the hivemind? Popular consensus? It's bizarre.

Hit with a ban at you-know-where for giving my honest opinion on the EGS situation -- wow ? I've never experienced a forum that tries to railroad the conversation so heavily and apply arbitrary rules to threads based on...the hivemind? Popular consensus? It's bizarre.

Was it even controversial or did it just not agree with the flock?

Don't give them the clicks...
You sound like the guy asking people for refunds, lol @irony.
They're all the same, different people have different priorities.
Some care more about the whole pc market, most of us here care more about Shenmue (hell, even a lot of people here are pissed off).

That's why I don't post at Resetera. A good portion of the people there, in my opinion, has a bias against Shenmue based on its PR. When you call them out on it, they react in a multitude of ways, including banning. That's not rational, but, hey, this is the internet.

Bizarre ? You called your fellow backers platform warriors. People who paid just as much if not more money than you did to support a dream. Do you think we wanted this ?

Don't you think I wouldn't be glad to keep my backer order for 300 bucks and preorder the collector edition ?

Instead of trying to tell us to not care, I think the Shenmue community as a whole should support each others and maybe, just maybe make them understand it's a shitty move for the backers, a shitty move for the game sales.

Bizarre ? You called your fellow backers platform warriors. People who paid just as much if not more money than you did to support a dream. Do you think we wanted this ?

Don't you think I wouldn't be glad to keep my backer order for 300 bucks and preorder the collector edition ?

Instead of trying to tell us to not care, I think the Shenmue community as a whole should support each others and maybe, just maybe make them understand it's a shitty move for the backers, a shitty move for the game sales.
I literally began my post by saying they should offer refunds to those who want it. I guess that's not supportive enough?

But that, yes, I'm surprised by the backlash and that, I (me only) won't be deterred by it. What else am I supposed to say? Am I obligated to pour one out for those affected? Am I not allowed to question the insane levels of vitriol that's being spouted, with people acting like they've just been mugged in the street?

Steam vs EGS is a type of platform war -- you can see it in the sheer anger going around -- it's well beyond rational thought for a lot of people at this point.

I think the Shenmue community as a whole should support each others and maybe, just maybe make them understand it's a shitty move for the backers, a shitty move for the game sales.
Support each other doing what ? shitting on the move ? the whole internet is already backing you on that.
DS have already passed through this, they don't care (seems like it worked well for metro, at least for them).
I'm not even sure YS actually has any power over that TBH, publishers are the ones in charge of the distribution.

When steam was new i was the enemey of most pc Gamers, and also used not very nice tactics to get into the market. Everbody hated it, and now it is the holy grail in gaming, and everbody hates on the Epic store. Although the Epic store is just a competitor to Steam.
True, people hated Steam (DRM, tracking, ...) being forced upon them when buying disc versions. Fast forward and their competitors are being criticized for similar stuff or for creating financial incentives to attract developers. Some people wrote that they were actually shaking after hearing the news :LOL: Probably the most devout members of the Church of Saint Steam. But seriously, the competitors have issues but let's not pretend that a multibillion company like Valve is totally on our side either. They got into trouble ignoring EU consumer protection laws, were in court in Australia, had issues with mod creators, ...

It's a bad PR move though so close to (the possible) release. Deep Silver explaining the situation in advance would have been better but they haven't handled PR very well. I guess that the delay is related to the move/extra funding?

But apparently, Metro sold well despite boycott threats (as did other games) so Deep Silver might have data on how many could abandon a game after this change? Maybe potential losses are less than what they can gain considering the lower fees, some promotion, Unreal support and Epic probably covering engine license fees. Maybe there's extra funding for exclusivity too. This extra money upfront could maybe even make it easier to continue the series?

Epic probably covering engine license fees.
Every game on EGS made with Unreal doesn't pay the 5% royalties.
EDIT: They could have handled a little better the situation of people asking for refunds though.
At least say they can switch to ps4 if they don't like EGS. It's just not good PR.

I literally began my post by saying they should offer refunds to those who want it. I guess that's not supportive enough?

But that, yes, I'm surprised by the backlash and that, I (me only) won't be deterred by it. What else am I supposed to say? Am I obligated to pour one out for those affected? Am I not allowed to question the insane levels of vitriol that's being spouted, with people acting like they've just been mugged in the street?

Steam vs EGS is a type of platform war -- you can see it in the sheer anger going around -- it's well beyond rational thought for a lot of people at this point.

Some of the reaction is pretty hyperbole.

I get the ire to some degree and I’m not happy with the way YSNET worded it or treated it. There were better ways to go about doing it than the way they did. They’ve got to take this one on the chin a little.

But still, some of the outrage going around is nuts at the moment. Truly nuts. It’s hard to be sympathetic when the ire is, at points, irrational and bordering on immature as fuck.

Whatever everyone. Let's pretend it's nothing. It's just platform warriors. All these kickstarter comments (which are all backers btw) are just here for platform warring, they dont care about Shenmue.

It's fine if Deep Silver and YsNet turned the whole thing into a mess. I guess Shenmue III had to happen to end up in a disaster and kill the serie for good.

Benefits of Epic Game Store Partnership:

More Revenue
Keep 88% of the revenue from your games instead of 70%. If your game is built using Unreal Engine, Epic will cover your engine royalties on Epic Games store revenue.

Reach Players
Connect with millions of Fortnite players who are already in the Epic Games ecosystem.

Partner with Creators
Epic Games’ Support-A-Creator program connects you with over 10,000 content creators and influencers with millions of supporters.

More Control
Own your game page, news feed and a direct relationship with your players.

Success chart

Benefits of Epic Game Store Partnership:

More Revenue
Keep 88% of the revenue from your games instead of 70%. If your game is built using Unreal Engine, Epic will cover your engine royalties on Epic Games store revenue.

Reach Players
Connect with millions of Fortnite players who are already in the Epic Games ecosystem.

Partner with Creators
Epic Games’ Support-A-Creator program connects you with over 10,000 content creators and influencers with millions of supporters.

More Control
Own your game page, news feed and a direct relationship with your players.

Success chart

88% of 1000 sales is less than 70% of 20000 sales.

I'm not pretending it's nothing, I'm just taking the Shikata ga nai approach, or the "it's useless to cry over spilled milk".
Yes, it has been a shitshow, but there's not much to do.
Complaining too much will only end up making me worse (hell, I got a headache since I found the news).

Don't go that route man, I can easily say they're screwing with costumers to maximize profit since EGS is not as consumer friendly as steam.
It's not about defending mega corporations either.

@GhostTrick It might be possible that they got extra funding from Epic for the exclusivity which together with the other advantages results in more profit than they expect from sales on Steam? Maybe they started to doubt when they saw the HD collection sales? Just guessing.

Every game on EGS made with Unreal doesn't pay the 5% royalties.
Ok, I wasn't entirely sure but had read something about it.

Some of the reaction is pretty hyperbole.
I get the ire to some degree and I’m not happy with the way YSNET worded it or treated it. There were better ways to go about doing it than the way they did. They’ve got to take this one on the chin a little.
But still, some of the outrage going around is nuts at the moment. Truly nuts. It’s hard to be sympathetic when the ire is, at points, irrational and bordering on immature as fuck.
There are valid points, for example the convenience, features, etc. But a lot of the rage seems to be ideology driven. People are calling the actual developers greedy, without knowing the internal business situation, because they would rather not pay 30% of their sales to a platform. Some use words like Epic being immoral because they try to grow by attracting other companies with financial incentives. I don't know, this doesn't seem very odd in a corporate world, or? Others care about the freedom of the pc platform though Steam itself arguably got pretty close to being a monopoly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back