110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

Not quite 110 related but I thought it was worth mentioning -

Saints Row bombs for Embracer and now all projects must "prove their right to exist"

Embracer is Deep Silver's parent company if you weren't aware.

I would say that although we figured as much embracer/deep silver are well off the playing field.

Hopefully the 110 rumours have some substance, and we'll find out now Wanted Dead is out.

Fingers crossed

Also: Says a lot about the current state of the industry if a GTA clone can't turn a profit

Its also stated that the Saints Row Reboot had a overall budget of over 100 mil USD.
Which shows how f ing expensive game production nowadays is,
like literally every big game has a budget of at least 70 mil upwards.
And it demonstrates that you still need the matching dev team to get the high quality level.
If you just throw a bag of gold bars at the developers, it doesnt mean anything.
That doesnt magically upgrade developers like characters in a RPG.
You need a team who can convert this type of budget into a high quality game.

Yeah man. I think you'll enjoy it. i just wanted something fun and wacky to play that wasn't too serious. Wanted dead filled that gap perfectly. Wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised.

I'll never understand how people can take "YouTubers" "gaming websites" or the internet in general as gospel and blindly follow its opinion or adopt that opinion as their own without questioning it. It's very strange and weird. Maybe I'm just getting old

Anyway, play what you want and enjoy my friend
Of course we're getting old, and thanks for that. We're not that bad for almost 40 years old Shenmue fans huh?💪
What you've said about internet. Is totally my sensation, using internet but as an outcast (an "I/we built this company!!") Its exactly like Abe Simpson telling Homer about the wave, it passed. And I'm kind of ok with it, making peace with my limited stance here at this stage.
I won't be derailing the topic to the state of the things, but the bold opinions which in fact our opinions/thoughts are copy&pastes from others who previously said something, made us feel safe, with a trivial cheese on our pocket. Maybe a little salt from our own batch but usually not even that. Admit it, safely a 90% of "your opinions" arent really yours, nor mine, we parrot, period. That's normal, we need a compass for our very own hero's journey, for the cozy trails to the darkest caverns (those who really change you at the other side).
So its not make sense to be so proud of it. I call em the maniatic street preachers

I actually agree with both of you, weirdly enough.

People are always quick to rubbish gaming journalists, but I don't think the criticisms they face are often particularly fair. I think there are good ones and good outlets that I trust, and then there are ones I don't trust so much (or maybe I should just say that my opinions don't really align with).

I think people take less than stellar scores and criticisms of games they enjoy too personally and don't look at it objectively. Just because a game gets 5 out 10 for example and that a lot of flaws are identified, does not mean the review is inaccurate if you enjoy it.

People just need to learn to read or watch reviews fully, read between the lines and assess whether they feel they will enjoy the game based on what that reviewer says. If you can work with the issues a game has and feel that what it does well will really appeal to you on a greater scale than a game that is, objectively speaking, a better game, then that's fine. It doesn't mean the review or the critic are bad.

That said, I can agree with ShenSun that a lot of people will not even play a game, but will regurgitate the general rhetoric of negative (or positive) reviews and then emphasise the points that reinforces their own biases. Shenmue is obviously a classic example of this. Hell, I even met someone like that in real life when I traded in one of my copies of Shenmue 3 a week or two after it came out to a store. The person who served me said "Oh Shenmue 3, what did you think?" Before I could even respond to say that I liked it he came out with all this stuff about how it was a scam, a cash in, how he had seen reviews and it looks terrible, janky and looks like a complete joke and that it doesn't even finish the story etc.
Ngl, I was trying to highlight how broken video game journalism is by pointing out that IGN is more than happy to promote a game if the developer / publisher pays them enough money, even if their own reviewer thinks that said game is terrible and that the site’s readers should steer clear of it. I suppose it is good to know that IGN’s review scores are not for sale though, even if everything else they do is.

I too agree with ShenSun when they say that people shouldn’t put too much stock in what one person on the internet says, though, despite the sarcasm in my last post, I really do think that there is a lot of value in the collective thoughts of video game journalists; certainly a lot more so than the thoughts and opinions of any one ‘influencer’, anyway.

These guys play video games for a living and generally have a pretty good idea of the kind of games their site’s readers are going to like (I personally put a lot of stock in what Destructoid has to say, for example, especially if it’s written by Chris Carter). What’s more, having multiple reviewers on staff allows them to assign somebody who is likely to really ‘get’ the game that’s up for review, which I think is where larger sites really do have a massive edge over smaller ones and ‘influencers’ (though I suppose they too are able to cater to a specific audience, albeit a much more niche one).

Ultimately, when looking at average scores, I think that video game journalists tend to get things right a lot more often than they get them wrong. They’re certainly a lot more reliable than Metacritic user scores, which are far too easily manipulated, and they can’t be bought off in the same way that a single ‘influencer’ can. Steam reviews are a little better, as people actually need to have played a game before they can critique it, though being able to refund a game if you play for under two hours does allow for some abuse here (also, devs can give out free keys and have people leave positive ratings).

I understand that not everybody will see things the same way as me and am under no illusion that it’s a perfect system, but what exactly are the alternatives? $60/$70 is way too much to spend on a game that may or may not be awful and most developers/publishers don’t bother releasing demos anymore. Most trailers aren’t at all reflective of how the games they’re used to promote actually end up playing either, and a lot of ‘influencers’ are happy to sell out their fans for a quick buck without giving it a second thought.

Sadly, video game journalists are a necessary evil.

Ngl, I was trying to highlight how broken video game journalism is by pointing out that IGN is more than happy to promote a game if the developer / publisher pays them enough money, even if their own reviewer thinks that said game is terrible and that the site’s readers should steer clear of it. I suppose it is good to know that IGN’s review scores are not for sale though, even if everything else they do is.

Haha guess I was replying way too early this morning. I completely missed that lol.

I agree with you, but not many people understand that these review scores doesn't means quality of the game. These scores only means how many people approximately will like the game. If it is 4/10, that means that not many people will like it. If it is 10/10 it is very likely that many people will like it.

Nothing more, nothing less. These scores are not real scores about the quality of the game, because one game can be very different than other game. It's just scores, that try to predict the popularity of the new games, based by how the new title is compared to popular old titles. If it is very different than the old blockbusters, the likelihood the game to be misunderstood by most people is very high.

Not quite 110 related but I thought it was worth mentioning -

Saints Row bombs for Embracer and now all projects must "prove their right to exist"

Embracer is Deep Silver's parent company if you weren't aware.

I would say that although we figured as much embracer/deep silver are well off the playing field.

Hopefully the 110 rumours have some substance, and we'll find out now Wanted Dead is out.

Fingers crossed

Also: Says a lot about the current state of the industry if a GTA clone can't turn a profit
Saints reboot reboot didn't sell well because it was a spit in the face of the og Saints Row fans like me, the original games were about street gangsters, but this game is about students who need to pay their student loans and it's worth mentioning that the dialogues and humor in this game was very cringe and political. Oh and also the Saints Row twitter account insulted their former fans several times, even calling them terrorists.also the game is broken and there is a lot of bugs

Last edited:
I have very mixed feelings about critics:

I've talked about this on other outlets, but I generally believe being a critic is a thankless job; half the people will love you for telling them what they want to hear, the other half will hate you for not telling them what they want to hear.

For any critic, whether they write for a huge outlet, enthousiast site, YouTuber, you name it: As long as they give every piece of media they judge a fair chance and critique it to the best of their ability they have my respect - even if I despise their actual opinion lol.

For all the 'fair' critics though, there are more than enough hacks. From clickbait YouTubers who jump on negative stories because it generates more views to critics who feel scores should reflect their political affiliations rather than honestly judging a piece of art on its own merits.

To name a recent example, some major outlets gave Hogwarts Legacy a 1 out of 10 score. Of course they don't honestly think the game is that bad, but they feel the need to lash out against something that's based on the work of J.K. Rowling, because she made some controversial - and frankly, stupid - comments. I understand thinking Rowling is an idiot, but that doesn't make it okay to screw over the thousands of people who worked hard to create the game. I have 0 respect for that approach and such people shouldn't be able to make money being critics.

Either way, for better or worse, never forget that critics are people like you and me with all of our flaws. Some of their opinions may be more educated than that of the average Joe, but that doesn't necessarily make them better. Everybody has their biases and they usually shine through.

On to Metacritic and other aggregator sites. That is just what they are; sites that collect reviews from a large number of affiliates and spit out an average. When the average score is high that means the majority of critics liked it and when it's lower it means they didn't.

I too am a bit puzzled that Metacritic categorizes everything that scores below 75 as 'mediocre', but that's the point we're at now. If I was to draw a positive from this I'd say standards have become pretty high in the here and now.

So how important are reviews? Well, if it's not a critic immune franchise like Call of Duty or Fifa, reviews can definitely make or break a game. We may not like it, but there's no arguing the logic of it.

So do I believe people should take these scores seriously? I'd say no, but with an asterisk.
If a game/movie/book/album you're really interested in gets bad reviews, you shouldn't let that discourage you. Still try that game or go watch that movie, but perhaps be a bit more careful with your money; Try a demo first or go watch a cheaper matinee show of a movie. Hell, if there's no demo, bootleg the game and try it that way. If you like it, you can still spend money on it.

Personally, critics get it wrong about half the time so by definition majority opinion is a useless metric for me, even if it does bum me out to see things I like or am looking forward to getting trashed.

At the end of the day, nothing beats personally experiencing something.

There's nothing easier than sitting on your ass, picking your nose and judging stuff. That goes for all of us.

I really want to know if they paid for this spot before or after the review dropped. If it’s the latter, that’s actually fucking hilarious. Say what you will about the quality of the game and their response to some of the post-launch issues, the marketing for this game has been top notch. Alex deserves a huge raise 😂
Same haha. I'd imagine it was part of the package with the pre-release but who knows.

Get him marketing Shenmue 4! He's done a cracking job in fairness.

I've also been playing Wanted: Dead and I'm having a good time with it.

I really struggle with hard games (I refuse to succumb to Neko-Chan mode!), but its goofiness appeals to me, so I'm pressing on through the challenge.

Now with the game finally out the door, we might soon hear more about their other projects...perhaps a project that might explain why Yu Suzuki had such a prominent presence on their TGS stream. 🤔

Last edited:
I've also been playing Wanted: Dead and I'm having a good time with it.

I really struggle with hard games (I refuse to succumb to Neko-Chan mode!), but its goofiness appeals to me, so I'm pressing on through the challenge.

Now with the game finally out the door, we might soon hear more about their other projects...perhaps a project that might explain why Yu Suzuki had such a prominent presence on their TGS stream. 🤔
Eventually

I think my contrarian nature is getting the better of me because I'm really starting to want to play Wanted: Dead now. I put it on my wishlist and am probably gonna grab it once it goes on a good sale.
Seriously, I'm thinking about buying a PS5 and this might be one of the first games I get :ROFLMAO:

I'm about half way through the game. This game is hilarious.

It has its issues, but I'm really enjoying it. The characters are awesome. Good combat. The mini games are hit or miss. Overall though, I like what I'm playing. For 110's first game, they did pretty good. This game is very refreshing to play. Something different and unique from the usual games that get released these days

It definitely has a 90s era vibe to everything, which I adore. I mean listen to this background music and its vocals. Reminds me of being a kid watching movies on cable tv. Good times

Last edited:
I tried playing the game the other day, did the tutorial and thought "ok, I think I have got this" and then the first level proceeded to kick my ass.

Is it really that hard? Haha. Hoping I will get the hang of it. Not sure how I feel about switching between shooting and melee, it doesn't seem to flow all too well :unsure:

This game works on the principle that it teaches you to play by repeating checkpoints. Тhe game also doesn't tell you how to beat the bosses, which leads to a lot of repetition until you figure it out. The fist mini boss in the first level (the Ninja) can be beat easy only by shooting and runing. The boss on the second level can only be beat by Counter attacks... Just experiment.

Once you understand this, you stop carring about repeat certain moments many times. Such is the progression in this game. Reminds me a bit of Sifu. I'm currently at the music club level. Congratulations to Revan for beating the game! :)

It can be quite annoying at times, that's why they added various mini games between the missions.

The humor and dialogue is actually very crazy. Reminiscent of the dialogues from the Deadly Premonition games. It amuses me a lot, but I'm not sure everyone enjoys this type of humor. It's very important not to take the story too seriously and have fun.

Last edited:
I've not played it, but the concept of Wanted: Dead is an intriguing one to me, which is why I think it's one of those games that is hard to review.

It's clear it's rough around the edges and a throwback to the old school era, replete with whatever bugs and goofiness was inherent to that time.

I think that was the intention and many reviewing it missed that.

We talk of Shenmue and it's inherent "jankiness" that is a product of what that series is.

This recent game tells me 110 at least understand that part of it and they may not be a bad choice for Shenmue IV.

But the head man of 110 is obviously a big Shenmue fan, so I'd expect if he were to agree on publishing Shenmue IV, he'd give Yu far more freedom and assistance than Deep Silver did.

Back