110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

wanted dead got a 4/10 review at ign. euro gamer called it cyberjunk lol.

hopefully 110 industries wont touch shenmue 4.
Depends how much input they had on this.

My understanding is they own the IP and therefore commissioned a studio to make it. I expect they were fairly hands on with it given they own the IP.

With Shenmue I doubt they'd be able to be as hands on in terms of the game direction as there's a certain person at YSNET who may have something to say about it.

Also I've played the game. Had it since Saturday and its not as bad as the reviews say. There's fun to be had and I'd say 6 or 7 out of 10 is fair.

I think judging by the overall budget quality of Wanted: Dead (quality of va, graphics, animations. game length etc)
its fair to assume that a 110 Industries Shenmue (without any Kickstarter, Sony etc help)
will have even less budget than Shenmue 3.
I dont believe 1 second that a fully funded 110 Industries Shenmue 4 is going to deliver a higher overall quality level
than Shenmue 3. I think theres a realistic chance that the quality level would even undercut the quality level of 3
simply because theres not enough budget for the time it would take to polish it
or the game isnt even going to offer half of the playtime in comparison to S3.

Soleil (the devs of Wanted Dead) has games with way way way better scores and reviews
but none of them were published or funded by 110 Industries.
Not saying that its 100% gonna be bad or anything, it could still deliver the Shenmue experience for fans, no doubt,
but if you believe that a 110 Industries Shenmue 4 is gonna raise the quality level
and will get Shenmue back on the fully polished AAA track ...
no i dont think so. Not even a little bit.

wanted dead got a 4/10 review at ign. euro gamer called it cyberjunk lol.

hopefully 110 industries wont touch shenmue 4.
I'd take them touching S4 with some funding even if it's meager than no funding and no S4 at all. 🤷‍♂️ I wasn't exactly expecting S4 to turn out to be a media darling regardless of how good it is anyways.

My understanding is they own the IP and therefore commissioned a studio to make it.
sounds like the game, alien colonial marines. i believe gear box got another studio to make it on the cheap and it was a mess.

nah, i would rather shenmue ends in an anime or book than a extremely badly made game. from what i understand, some original shenmue fans don't even play games anymore, they are just interested in the story.

By now, I'm convinced that anyone trashing something very hard, speaks more of himself than the object of criticism. This is very reminiscent of Shenmue 3 week of hate to me.
It also throw at the developers wtf

sounds like the game, alien colonial marines. i believe gear box got another studio to make it on the cheap and it was a mess.

nah, i would rather shenmue ends in an anime or book than a extremely badly made game. from what i understand, some original shenmue fans don't even play games anymore, they are just interested in the story.
I woudl argue that the community still want the story via the games and not manga. This reminds me of the mid 2000's so much it is like dejavu.

I'd take Anime but not a book quite frankly but that's only one mans opinion.

Wanted Dead was known not to be a game, that would be easily understood by the mass audience. IGN gave Shenmue III a very low rating as well, but many people here like it.

Just a reminder that nothing has been announced for Shenmue 4 by 110 industries yet. Don't rush to open the champagne or pull out the axe. :p

It's also too early to lose hope that the series can be completed with a video game.

Last edited:
Maybe this is the wrong way to look at it, but I'd expect nothing more of 110 than merely that they help fund/publish an S4 on the quality level of S3. Personally, I'm actually fine with its core gameplay/graphics, despite some gripes on plot/music.

If we can get something of the same level of general quality (though I'd welcome some polishing here and there) and 110 would give YSNet enough time to indeed achieve that level of quality, I wouldn't be dissatisfied.

I say that because, unlike an S4, Wanted Dead is a new game; as in the S3 situation, assets etc. had to be built from the ground up. By contrast, S4 would be in a better spot, especially as the core mechanics of the game are already existent and not that clunky; they just need a touch up.

As to reviews: I couldn't care less. I do believe a game can be "objectively bad" (perhaps Wanted Dead is!) but most negative reviews of Shenmue lack the nuance and tact to criticize well or entertain my attention. Much is designed for clicks.

Again tuesday to wednesday, are you crew doing it on purple pose?
Thank god it was crescent moon this time, another blank or new and you get outta here. I dont want to be moonatic too.

Even though I don't put a lot of stock in reviews of art/entertainment (I happen to love a lot of stuff that didn't review too well), it doesn't exactly fill me with enthousiasm to see Wanted: Dead isn't doing great in the context of 110 being involved in a potential Shenmue IV.

Now, none of us know any details of how 110 backing S4 would even work;
- Just financial backing?
- Or manpower as well?
- Any creative influence?

So based on that let's not fly off the handle just yet.

That said, any fan should want for the next Shenmue installment to be critically more successful than the previous one.
Good reviews means positive buzz means more people giving the franchise a chance.

It just reeks of ignorance and is too easy to make comments like "reviews don't matter" or "good reviews are just for AAA games".

Even though I don't put a lot of stock in reviews of art/entertainment (I happen to love a lot of stuff that didn't review too well), it doesn't exactly fill me with enthousiasm to see Wanted: Dead isn't doing great in the context of 110 being involved in a potential Shenmue IV.

Now, none of us know any details of how 110 backing S4 would even work;
- Just financial backing?
- Or manpower as well?
- Any creative influence?

So based on that let's not fly off the handle just yet.

That said, any fan should want for the next Shenmue installment to be critically more successful than the previous one.
Good reviews means positive buzz means more people giving the franchise a chance.

It just reeks of ignorance and is too easy to make comments like "reviews don't matter" or "good reviews are just for AAA games".
Straight up. I'd want 110 or any publisher to give YSNET the space to do Shenmue 4 justice.

However, they must insist on some proper story development. If I won the lottery and threw money at Shenmue 4 that would be one of my key things.

To Kenzo's credit, I think he was just venting on the generally poor taste of professional critics. Definitely correct me if I'm wrong, Kenzo.

Obviously we'd all love for S4 to get anything and everything that can help increase sales, including good review scores from high-traffic outlets. And maybe I'm wrong to assume this, but I feel like Ys Net will obviously take a funding/publishing/etc offer from whoever offers the best terms and service, which includes factoring in the average critic score of a publisher since that directly affects sales. My fear is that Ys Net doesn't have a ton of offers, though, and if 110 ended up being their only option, I'd still hope they'd take it.

Agree on everything with the addition of to an extent. To the limit of feaseable. I mean, the X game exists for people, companies, products, services, entire communities (remember the not so far "bigoted world of gaming" we endured just because few bad apples?).

Of course, I'll suggest to avoid falling on the same issue and pushing too hard on those who doesnt give importance to reviewing. They're trying to compensate and cheer us up. Thank you people

I would be fine with 110 Industries as the main publisher for S4 as long as we can at least
keep the S3 quality level or make the game shorter but with a bit more polishing and optimization.

But for people who want Shenmue to shine again like in the old days,
where all of this was super polished, up to date and even like a prototype for future games ...
this is not gonna happen with AA publishers like Deep Silver or probably slightly below budget publishers like 110 Industries.

In this type of budget pool, its gonna be literally impossible to make a game that is open world
as S2 & 3, has the most up to date graphics, all of the Shenmue experience features, NPCs with daily routines,
dialogue, cutscenes, story, game length ...
All of this in a modern level of quality (which basically automatically means a budget of 40-60 mil)
is not gonna work out with any publisher below like EA, Ubisoft, Capcom, Konami, Sony and so on.
Its far more realistic that we would reach the overall quality of S3 again.

So its better to keep the expectations in check.

I would be fine with 110 Industries as the main publisher for S4 as long as we can at least
keep the S3 quality level or make the game shorter but with a bit more polishing and optimization.

But for people who want Shenmue to shine again like in the old days,
where all of this was super polished, up to date and even like a prototype for future games ...
this is not gonna happen with AA publishers like Deep Silver or probably slightly below budget publishers like 110 Industries.

In this type of budget pool, its gonna be literally impossible to make a game that is open world
as S2 & 3, has the most up to date graphics, all of the Shenmue experience features, NPCs with daily routines,
dialogue, cutscenes, story, game length ...
All of this in a modern level of quality (which basically automatically means a budget of 40-60 mil)
is not gonna work out with any publisher below like EA, Ubisoft, Capcom, Konami, Sony and so on.
Its far more realistic that we would reach the overall quality of S3 again.

So its better to keep the expectations in check.
I'd be fine with Shenmue 3's look and presentation with more polish and story. Plus it would save a tonne of money.

Yes the media might shit on it for looking old but if the story is good and gameplay holds up it can still do well.

I echo a lot of sentiments in this thread and I think most of us have long realized the days of Shenmue being given AAA budget and pushing cutting edge is over. What we can best hope for us a refinement and polish of Shenmue 3’s systems with serious narrative push, varied and better mission objectives and improved fighting engine. Anything else seems unlikely at this juncture.

Back