110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

Seems like Wanted: Dead has a 60 Metacritic on PS5. Now in any other medium 60 (or 6/10) suggests OK. But in gaming, it might as well give you poison. It's baffling.

I've heard polarising things about this game (reminds me of another game we're all familiar with...think it begins with "Shenmue 3"), but to be honest, I find that rather refreshing. I don't envy game reviewers; it must be so much harder than listening to an album or watching a film a few times; games aren't optimised, often given at the last minute etc; that said, I can count the number of reviewers I trust on one hand.

I've said it a number of times, but I echo the same sentiments here; I'm more than happy for Shenmue 4 to have the same feel and vibe of Shenmue 3 (60 FPS lock please); get rid of the stamina system, have a better menu UI (PLEASE) and progress the story forward and i'd be happy as Larry*. Will the critics care? Probably not, but time and time again, those that get Shenmue GET it. Those that don't can go to their meme-core Sailor shite and continue to live their life of abject misery.

*the only Larry I can think of is Larry Mullen Jr, go figure.

I played around 2 hours of Wanted Dead. Such an awesome game in every aspect. We should be jumping for joy if a company like 110 is involved in publishing Shenmue 4.

I really can't understand the critics now days. Maybe they don't like the graphics (or a high difficulty), who knows... Yeah, the game looks like PS4 game, not PS5. But thats the only thing that i can think of. :) It's just doesnt have the graphical polish of AAA game like God Of War/Last of us 2 for example. Not that the graphics is bad or anything. I like it a lot and it is 60 fps.

Seems like Wanted: Dead has a 60 Metacritic on PS5. Now in any other medium 60 (or 6/10) suggests OK. But in gaming, it might as well give you poison. It's baffling.

I've heard polarising things about this game (reminds me of another game we're all familiar with...think it begins with "Shenmue 3"), but to be honest, I find that rather refreshing. I don't envy game reviewers; it must be so much harder than listening to an album or watching a film a few times; games aren't optimised, often given at the last minute etc; that said, I can count the number of reviewers I trust on one hand.

I've said it a number of times, but I echo the same sentiments here; I'm more than happy for Shenmue 4 to have the same feel and vibe of Shenmue 3 (60 FPS lock please); get rid of the stamina system, have a better menu UI (PLEASE) and progress the story forward and i'd be happy as Larry*. Will the critics care? Probably not, but time and time again, those that get Shenmue GET it. Those that don't can go to their meme-core Sailor shite and continue to live their life of abject misery.

*the only Larry I can think of is Larry Mullen Jr, go figure.
The best way that I could describe Wanted: Dead is like a sixth generation action game with all of the jank but none of the charm.

It’s a game that tries to play on people’s nostalgia but makes the critical mistake of forgetting that people loved nineties and early two-thousands action games in spite of the jank - not because of it.

People who miss that bygone era of gaming aren’t craving games with shitty frame rates and terrible camera controls. They aren’t yearning for games with short, linear levels that are padded out by checkpoints that are few and far between and an artificial difficulty level that relies on bullet sponge enemies above all else.

People miss games that aren’t afraid to think outside the box and go against the grain, but as much as Wanted: Dead would like people to believe that it does these things, its core mechanics are all borrowed from elsewhere and are executed incredibly poorly, at that. It’s a bad game that tries to shield itself from criticism by telling people that that’s okay because it’s supposed to be bad, while at the same time forgetting that it’s also supposed to be fun.

As for whether 110 would make a good publisher for Shenmue, here are a few things of note that have happened over the past few days…

— 110 screwed up pre-orders, meaning that those playing on PlayStation or PC were unable to purchase the game digitally in advance. Given the poor reviews, this likely led to a lot of lost sales and the developer missing out on royalties.
— 110 lied to reviewers that a day one patch would be released on launch day and would fix all of the game’s technical issues (the “day one” patch is still nowhere to be seen, for those wondering).
— 110 set an embargo that was as much as 12 hours past release date in certain countries, effectively preventing those that were able to pre-order the game from reading reviews ahead of time and thus depriving them of their right to cancel.
— When a few sites broke embargo and published negative reviews early, 110 increased the price of the game on Steam in numerous territories.
— Physical copies of the game were incredibly limited and were unavailable in most countries. Some of those that did manage get a copy found that an issue with the PS5 version prevented the game from copying onto the system correctly (it got stuck at 18%, for some reason), making it completely unplayable. When people tried to reach out to them for help, 110 ignored them.
— 110 somehow added two versions of the game to Steam, one of which was a broken build that crashed in the tutorial. Even after realizing this, rather than taking the broken build straight down, they instead left a message halfway down the page telling people to buy the top/bottom one (I forget which). In some countries, these two versions cost drastically different amounts even though they were both listed as the base version of the game.
— Despite being promised a free next-gen upgrade (it literally says this on the game’s box), those who purchased the game on PS4 or Xbox One found that they would need to pay full price for the next-gen version. When confronted, 110 dismissed customers’ complaints, telling them to just play the last gen version on their next gen consoles.
— 110 publicly made fun of a critic’s appearance / demeanor after they told people not to buy the game.

I’m sure that there is much much more; that’s just what’s popped up on my Twitter feed and in the WD discord.

With all that in mind, does anybody really think that 110 would make a good publisher for Shenmue? I mean, Deep Silver was far from perfect, but at least they were competent and knew how to actually publish a game.

Most sites seem to have given 110 a pass on the above because, to put it bluntly, nobody cares about some shitty action game being shit and some unheard of publisher being incompetent. If this were Shenmue though, gaming sites would be all over this and it would likely be Yu getting all of the flack rather than the publisher.

Personally, I’d be terrified about the prospect of 110 working on a new Shenmue game were it not for the fact that they likely won’t be around for much longer. You can promise gamers the world and deliver a dumpster fire with very few consequences, but that shit just ain’t gonna fly with investors. These guys were projecting three million sales, yet chose to make a game in a niche genre and then somehow managed to make it even more niche than it already was.

Last edited:
just played wanted dead. I wasn't expecting much, but boy I had a great time.

I really like the game a lot. The gameplay is solid, characters are hilarious and the design is very fun. I'm enjoying it a lot.

I can't believe there is a game with a worse dub than shenmue lol, but here we are

This is exactly like a ps3/360 hack and slash and I'm having a blast playing it.

All of you should give it a try and not take the internet or "professional reviews" as gospel. If you're an old school gamer, chances are you're going to really like it.

We need more games like this

Last edited:
The best way that I could describe Wanted: Dead is like a sixth generation action game with all of the jank but none of the charm.

It’s a game that tries to play on people’s nostalgia but makes the critical mistake of forgetting that people loved nineties and early two-thousands action games in spite of the jank - not because of it.

People who miss that bygone era of gaming aren’t craving games with shitty frame rates and terrible camera controls. They aren’t yearning for games with short, linear levels that are padded out by checkpoints that are few and far between and an artificial difficulty level that relies on bullet sponge enemies above all else.

People miss games that aren’t afraid to think outside the box and go against the grain, but as much as Wanted: Dead would like people to believe that it does these things, its core mechanics are all borrowed from elsewhere and are executed incredibly poorly, at that. It’s a bad game that tries to shield itself from criticism by telling people that that’s okay because it’s supposed to be bad, while at the same time forgetting that it’s also supposed to be fun.

As for whether 110 would make a good publisher for Shenmue, here are a few things of note that have happened over the past few days…

— 110 screwed up pre-orders, meaning that those playing on PlayStation or PC were unable to purchase the game digitally in advance. Given the poor reviews, this likely led to a lot of lost sales and the developer missing out on royalties.
— 110 lied to reviewers that a day one patch would be released on launch day and would fix all of the game’s technical issues (the “day one” patch is still nowhere to be seen, for those wondering).
— 110 set an embargo that was as much as 12 hours past release date in certain countries, effectively preventing those that were able to pre-order the game from reading reviews ahead of time and thus depriving them of their right to cancel.
— When a few sites broke embargo and published negative reviews early, 110 increased the price of the game on Steam in numerous territories.
— Physical copies of the game were incredibly limited and were unavailable in most countries. Some of those that did manage get a copy found that an issue with the PS5 version prevented the game from copying onto the system correctly (it got stuck at 18%, for some reason), making it completely unplayable. When people tried to reach out to them for help, 110 ignored them.
— 110 somehow added two versions of the game to Steam, one of which was a broken build that crashed in the tutorial. Even after realizing this, rather than taking the broken build straight down, they instead left a message halfway down the page telling people to buy the top/bottom one (I forget which). In some countries, these two versions cost drastically different amounts even though they were both listed as the base version of the game.
— Despite being promised a free next-gen upgrade (it literally says this on the game’s box), those who purchased the game on PS4 or Xbox One found that they would need to pay full price for the next-gen version. When confronted, 110 dismissed customers’ complaints, telling them to just play the last gen version on their next gen consoles.
— 110 publicly made fun of a critic’s appearance / demeanor after they told people not to buy the game.

I’m sure that there is much much more; that’s just what’s popped up on my Twitter feed and in the WD discord.

With all that in mind, does anybody really think that 110 would make a good publisher for Shenmue? I mean, Deep Silver was far from perfect, but at least they were competent and knew how to actually publish a game.

Most sites seem to have given 110 a pass on the above because, to put it bluntly, nobody cares about some shitty action game being shit and some unheard of publisher being incompetent. If this were Shenmue though, gaming sites would be all over this and it would likely be Yu getting all of the flack rather than the publisher.

Personally, I’d be terrified about the prospect of 110 working on a new Shenmue game were it not for the fact that they likely won’t be around for much longer. You can promise gamers the world and deliver a dumpster fire with very few consequences, but that shit just ain’t gonna fly with investors. These guys were projecting three million sales, yet chose to make a game in a niche genre and then somehow managed to make it even more niche than it already was.

Yeah their Twitter support for the game is really not professional at all.
There are like dozens of questions about the pricing, none working disc versions,
free upgrades not showing up and all that stuff and 110 Industries
is bascially ignoring 95% of them and on the other 5% their comments are like
yeah i dont know it should work. Wanted: Dead is a 60€ game.
Why would you want to start off like this?

Imagine this stuff on top of the Shenmue 3 release ...
Pretty sure almost nobody here would be interested in working with them ever again
if that would have been Shenmue 3 instead of Wanted: Dead.

I can only hope that they are going to improve that big time

While I haven’t been following the game or post-release discussions closely a lot of the aforementioned issues also related to Deep Silver and Shenmue 3 did it not?

Perhaps my memory is hazy but didn’t they originally put an embargo on reviews before games release but had to retract that? Let alone using old and outdated assets and material in their promotional material.

I do think any time developer or brand gets in a roasting match with user, the developer/brand never looks good and some of their replies are incredibly juvenile.

Last edited:
Perhaps my memory is hazy but didn’t they original but am embargo on reviews before games release but had to retract that?
Yup. And Deep Silver quite rightly got called out for it. To their credit though, they at least had the good sense to reverse their decision. Releasing a shitty game with a late embargo is a dick move and never casts a publisher in a positive light.

I suspect that the poor post-release response is partly down to them being in a state of shock. To be fair, even I was a little surprised by the IGN score; not because I think a 4/10 is particularly unfair (in fact, for me, it’s probably about right), but because 110 had a deal in place with IGN prior to the game’s release. However, it looks like said deal only extended to the game’s pre-release coverage.

I suppose this just goes to show that you can have the best marketing in the world, but if the product that you’re trying to sell doesn’t live up to the hype that you’ve created, it’s going to be more unWanted: Dead than anything else (my apologies for the poor attempt at humor, but it was either that or “Wanted: Dead on arrival”).

Anyone know if this is just a rare batch or a problem with all physical PS5 discs? I kind of want to buy the game...

Anyone know if this is just a rare batch or a problem with all physical PS5 discs? I kind of want to buy the game...
Mine was fine. Installed first time with no issues.

Thanks, I just bought it because honestly from watching Youtube videos it looks kinda fun.

I also bought Devil's Third, so I am a bit of a sucker for dreadful janky action titles that play like PS2 games 😂

The game industry nowdays is a very scary place. Especially if your not making AAA games for a big publisher or indie game. Something in between is hard to survive for a number of reasons.

Journalists, and people in general don't bother to understand what the idea of a game is, is it for them, is it not. Is it really the problem of the game or them in general. It's all a matter of whether you like it, without caring about the damage you cause.

I hope 110 industries anticipated this reaction. At least I expected it because I've been noticing this trend for years. It's not gonna be easy for Shenmue 4 too. Whoever the publisher is.

It looks like this game is going to be one you either love or hate. I guess to some extent I might also be annoyed by the difficulty ahead. The first level was relatively easy though. We'll see. :)

Thanks, I just bought it because honestly from watching Youtube videos it looks kinda fun.

I also bought Devil's Third, so I am a bit of a sucker for dreadful janky action titles that play like PS2 games 😂
I'm enjoying it. Certainly has its issues but the 60 on Metacritic seems about right.

Yeah, from what I have watched, that's all I am really expecting. I just want something to kill some time in the evenings and that isn't too deep or long. Seems like this will be fun to try.
Yeah man. I think you'll enjoy it. i just wanted something fun and wacky to play that wasn't too serious. Wanted dead filled that gap perfectly. Wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised.

I'll never understand how people can take "YouTubers" "gaming websites" or the internet in general as gospel and blindly follow its opinion or adopt that opinion as their own without questioning it. It's very strange and weird. Maybe I'm just getting old

Anyway, play what you want and enjoy my friend

Yeah man. I think you'll enjoy it. i just wanted something fun and wacky to play that wasn't too serious. Wanted dead filled that gap perfectly. Wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised.

I'll never understand how people can take "YouTubers" "gaming websites" or the internet in general as gospel and blindly follow its opinion or adopt that opinion as their own without questioning it. It's very strange and weird. Maybe I'm just getting old

Anyway, play what you want and enjoy my friend
I’m sorry, but I have to disagree. Gaming journalists are an essential part of the industry. Without their expert insights, how would people know which games to buy and which ones to avoid?

On a completely unrelated note, I saw IGN post this earlier today…

I’m sorry, but I have to disagree. Gaming journalists are an essential part of the industry. Without their expert insights, how would people know which games to buy and which ones to avoid?

I actually agree with both of you, weirdly enough.

People are always quick to rubbish gaming journalists, but I don't think the criticisms they face are often particularly fair. I think there are good ones and good outlets that I trust, and then there are ones I don't trust so much (or maybe I should just say that my opinions don't really align with).

I think people take less than stellar scores and criticisms of games they enjoy too personally and don't look at it objectively. Just because a game gets 5 out 10 for example and that a lot of flaws are identified, does not mean the review is inaccurate if you enjoy it.

People just need to learn to read or watch reviews fully, read between the lines and assess whether they feel they will enjoy the game based on what that reviewer says. If you can work with the issues a game has and feel that what it does well will really appeal to you on a greater scale than a game that is, objectively speaking, a better game, then that's fine. It doesn't mean the review or the critic are bad.

That said, I can agree with ShenSun that a lot of people will not even play a game, but will regurgitate the general rhetoric of negative (or positive) reviews and then emphasise the points that reinforces their own biases. Shenmue is obviously a classic example of this. Hell, I even met someone like that in real life when I traded in one of my copies of Shenmue 3 a week or two after it came out to a store. The person who served me said "Oh Shenmue 3, what did you think?" Before I could even respond to say that I liked it he came out with all this stuff about how it was a scam, a cash in, how he had seen reviews and it looks terrible, janky and looks like a complete joke and that it doesn't even finish the story etc.

On a completely unrelated note, I saw IGN post this earlier today…

Surprised they posted this off the back of their review.

Surprised they posted this off the back of their review.
I really want to know if they paid for this spot before or after the review dropped. If it’s the latter, that’s actually fucking hilarious. Say what you will about the quality of the game and their response to some of the post-launch issues, the marketing for this game has been top notch. Alex deserves a huge raise 😂

Back