What Yakuza and Shenmue can learn form each other

You say that yet WHITE CASTLE agreed to be in Homefront when no product placement had ever been in any Call of Duty, Metal of Honor, Gears of War, or Battlefield game (much bigger and more historically well known FPS franchises).
I mean, it shouldnt have been hard to acquire product placement for Call of Duty seeing as how successful the IP has been, but one of the only games of it I played: Modern Warfare 2, I clearly remember a "Burger Town" in there that I always felt could easily have been Burger King, McDonalds, or White Castle. Clearly the former two probably wanted nothing to do with a violent FPS, but somehow White Castle had no problem with Homefront.

Homefront was even a new IP, unlike Shenmue, and so that deemed a bigger risk. Yet they did it.

I specifically pointed out Coca-Cola and Timex because both were previously in Shenmue games.
Theres probably other examples, but I dont recall at the moment.

I know there was Sunotory alcohol drink advertised in Virtua Fighter 5 fighting game in an ad in one of the street stages.

also, where are you coming up with those product placement fee numbers?
Did not know about Homefront one. I am just on the pessimistic side nowadays so my position is to not expct anything and in that case if they pull it off I will be gladly surprisedand be delighted to see that Yu/Ys net/Deep Silver/whoever publishes Shenmue4 is able to sell the value of the brand and sign deals.

And about the numbers and fees, i probably would have stated more clearly that those were a bit of speculation as numbers are obviously not public. However, the gamasutra article for example ranges it to few thousands to hundreds of thousands depending of the deal, and combined with the film statistics that suggests the average is in the ~22k is how I generated those numbers.

I just wanted to do the exercice that Yakuza 6 could well be reaching the 0.5M mark on ads alone de-risking the development which Shenmue could also try to use as a financial investment when we have the elements of having a clear defined target audience and the game is based in real like environments which it makes easier to place those kind of product placements.

None of those are Sega games, let alone IPs:

- D is WARP (and Kenji Eno is dead, that's why no new games have come out).
- MKR is CLAMP's IP, hence why there are more MKR games for NON-Sega consoles than there are for Sega consoles.
- EZ is WARP as well.

MKR was a SEGA game despite it being an anime license. SEGA literally self developed and self published that game. Localized to the West by Working Designs. (but then that doesnt say much either since NIS America localized Sakura Wars 5 in 2010, five years after Sega published it in Japan) I'm still upset I never bought it its worth money!

A dead creator doesnt mean the series stays dead.
We might as well say Fire Emblem creator 'died' since he left Nintendo in the N64 days (as well as Suikoden creator leaving Konami after Suikoden III and Konami erasing his name from their database like he died) but that didnt stop Konami and Nintendo from further making games for those series.
Also last but not least, we know Yu Suzuki left SEGA sometime around 2003/2004 but that didnt stop them from making Virtua FIghter 5...

I know MKR was done in-house (Rieko Kodama led the team), but the IP and license is CLAMP's; they decide when to make games (and with an anime that hasn't been relevant for 20+ years, don't expect anything anytime soon).

You're missing the point; WARP dissolved with Eno's passing and the IPs are in limbo, thus there is literally nobody that is in charge or who claims ownership of either.

AM2 still existed(exists, rather) without Yu Suzuki, it's a completely different situation.

I know MKR was done in-house (Rieko Kodama led the team), but the IP and license is CLAMP's; they decide when to make games (and with an anime that hasn't been relevant for 20+ years, don't expect anything anytime soon).

You're missing the point; WARP dissolved with Eno's passing and the IPs are in limbo, thus there is literally nobody that is in charge or who claims ownership of either.

AM2 still existed(exists, rather) without Yu Suzuki, it's a completely different situation.

If somebody wants something bad enough it can happen regardless of dissolved or whatever.

Also I'm pretty sure CLAMP wouldnt object to like...basically anything at this point

Back