What Yakuza and Shenmue can learn form each other

They seem rude, like they actually think they are a part of the Yakuza.

I come off as rude? Really?

And seeing as I'm a 30 year old Canadian with Italian ancestry, I'm pretty sure I couldn't be in the Yakuza, even if I wanted to lol.

I come off as rude? Really?

And seeing as I'm a 30 year old Canadian with Italian ancestry, I'm pretty sure I couldn't be in the Yakuza, even if I wanted to lol.

You're a Shenmue fan. You're not who that person is describing.
That person is describing the section of Yakuza fans who shit on Shenmue and think it doesn't need to exist because Yakuza exists.

That person is describing the section of Yakuza fans who shit on Shenmue and think it doesn't need to exist because Yakuza exists.
Kinda funny that Yakuza is such a niche franchise that they have to shit on Shenmue to feel like a bigger franchise.

It's also ironic that those fans bash Shenmue games as failures while Yakuza 1 and 2 were also failures.(They sold so horribly that made SEGA not localizing those games for some years)

Yakuza 1 was a success because Nagoshi targeted the game to a mature japanese audience and it worked. They didn't care for the West when designing it, so please, study the subject a little bit before faboyism rant

I was being facetious ;)

It's also ironic that those fans bash Shenmue games as failures while Yakuza 1 and 2 were also failures.(They sold so horribly that made SEGA not localizing those games for some years)

Um, you DO realize that the best-selling Yakuza game ever was 2 on the PS2, right?

EDIT* it was around 1 million units, both regions combined and it was the best-selling Yakuza game in Japan.

Kinda funny that Yakuza is such a niche franchise that they have to shit on Shenmue to feel like a bigger franchise.

That latter sentence isnt true. Yakuza 1 while costing 20 million to make, did in fact do well overall, its just the English dub proved to be a waste of money for them as it was looked down upon in reviews despite having well known actors like Mark Hamill, Rachel Leigh Cook, Eliza Dukshu and Michael Madsen. The problem is they butchered the script too much in an effort for 'Western sensibilities'.

However, both Yakuza 1 and 2 were localized. And they both did very well sales wise overall.
After that, came Yakuza Kenzan! which was a historical what-if spinoff and the PS3's first Yakuza game.

That game however, had some rather controversial story points such as child concubines which I gather SEGA of America probably felt would have been too possibly problematic for the West.
So that one was skipped.

But then came Yakuza 3, Yakuza 4 and Yakuza Dead Souls spin off which were not skipped.
Yakuza 3 while localized, had some content cut which angered some fans.

Anyways, a lot of non Yakuza playing mainstream gamers gave the Yakuza series shit as well as some reviewers. Some calling it a poor man's Grand Theft Auto which couldn't be any further from the truth.

But anyways yeah, the Western public's perception of the series was mostly indifferent.

The PSP at this time wasnt doing well in the West so both Yakuza Black Panther spin off games on the PSP were not localized.

Then by 2012, the key person in charge for pushing Yakuza over to the West resigned from Sega of America.
He was crucial in getting the games localized so Yakuza 5 stayed in Japan for 3 years.

Then in late 2013, the PS4 launched and in 2014, Yakuza Ishin came out as a cross gen launch title for Japan's delayed PS4 launch in early 2014, but it had no signs for localization.

Years later we'd learn from Nagoshi that he felt Westerners would not adopt the period piece Samurai type settings since he thought they couldnt culturally relate.
Not sure why he he ever thought that since we've gotten Samurai Shodown, Soul Calibur, Bushido Blade, Soul of the Samurai, Blood Will Tell, Samurai Warriors, Seven Samurai 20XX, Afro Samurai, Rising Zan: Samurai Gunman, Kengo, Kabuki Warriors, Onimusha, Way of the Samurai, Total War: Shogun, Kessen, Samurai Western, Samurai Champloo, Sengoku Basara, and now, Sekiro and the upcoming Ghost of Tsushima, which the latter is made by a Western developer

It wasn't until after the PS4 launched, that the combined team of Adam Boyes and Gio Corsi of Sony, created a wish list of games to localize called "Building the List" as a sort of good will campaign to get consumers back in Sony's good graces as the PS4 was gaining ground in that field while Xbox 1 suffered a horrible PR launch with Don Mattrick telling people if they want a console that doesnt force you to be online, you can just continue to play your 360.

So yeah, anyways, Yakuza 5 was one of the top requested games on that list, so Gio Corsi flew to Japan and spoke with Nagoshi, did some interviews and Yakuza 5 was announced for localization sometime around E3 2015.

Then in turn this sparked interest in localizing Yakuza Zero, a prequel of the series which was also cross gen.
This came out and got very positive reviews, even some by some previously uninterested Youtube reviewers (Angry Joe comes to mind. Probably Jim Sterling too). So this pushed the series into the mainlight and garnered newer fans.

This elevated center of attention embolded some veteran Yakuza fans and then Shenmue 3 was announced in addition to Shenmue HD.

This then sparked a 'why' since for many years, Shenmue has been bashed by the public for its development cost, failure to continue the series, slow paced gameplay, English voice acting, and the fact it debuted on a dying console.

So near 20 years of negative memes and what not soaked into many gamers psyche including many Yakuza fans.
Now we had some Yakuza fans saying why do we need Shenmue when Yakuza is the evolution of it which simply isnt true.

Anyways thats that and here we are and Yakuza 7 will be turn based.

Your welcome

Last edited:
IDK but this change of gameplay from Brawler to Turn Based kinda feels like that they aren't happy about the sales of the latest Yakuza games.(Since instead of having an evolution of previous combat they just decided to replace it with different type of combat.)

-It's similar to the way that Capcom decided to make RE 4 completely different compare to classic RE style games.
-Sony deciding to make God Of War 4 different due to the lack of popularity of GOW: Ascention.
-Or the time that Tomb Raider moved on from the classic gameplay due to the failure of AOD.(That game damaged the TR franchise in a way that it still hasn't recovered from it.)

IDK but this change of gameplay from Brawler to Turn Based kinda feels like that they aren't happy about the sales of the latest Yakuza games.(Since instead of having an evolution of previous combat they just decided to replace it with different type of combat.)

-It's similar to the way that Capcom decided to make RE 4 completely different compare to classic RE style games.
-Sony deciding to make God Of War 4 different due to the lack of popularity of GOW: Ascention.
-Or the time that Tomb Raider moved on from the classic gameplay due to the failure of AOD.(That game damaged the TR franchise in a way that it still hasn't recovered from it.)

Yakuza 6 sold very well afaik

Judgement and Fist of the North Star were spinoffs so I cant expect them to think those would have broken records.

Not sure about Kiwami 2

I think overall sales have fluctuated up and down for Yakuza series. Especially in Japan ever since Japan in general started going mobile crazy

If I had to wager a guess, I think the move to turn base is more of a creative choice for the team to flex their creative muscles.
After 15 years of basically making the same type of gameplay outside Dead Souls and Binary Domain, I'd imagine the team get kinda uninspired and maybe even tired of it. SEGA execs I could see them telling them "keep making more Yakuza games!" even though personally I woulda been fine with them ending the series at 6.

If there's no Yakuza 0.1 featuring Nagai Industries and Yokosuka before I croak, it will be a grave injustice. To hell with the Yakuza or Shenmue purists. I love both series and would happily play a game featuring tons of fan service for fans of both series.

I do not think it is the sales. I think it is 2 factos:
  • Making a turn based system is easier than having to deal with user combos hitboxes. After all, yakuza 7 seems huge scope-wise and cutting corners in the battle engine when they had to remake all the moveset might have helped with the other areas of the game.
  • Developers grow tired of doing the same thing over and over. That is probably one of the reasons why the dead souls spin-off existed.

If there's no Yakuza 0.1 featuring Nagai Industries and Yokosuka before I croak, it will be a grave injustice. To hell with the Yakuza or Shenmue purists. I love both series and would happily play a game featuring tons of fan service for fans of both series.

As I've said before, as far as my own head canon is concerned, Shenmue and Yakuza exist in the same world. The two Yakuza in the gambling room in Shenmue 1 are Kiryu's friend Nakiyama and the sub boss Kuze from Yakuza Zero which was set in 1988 :ROFLMAO: :unsure::sneaky:

Making the battle system turn-based in Yakuza 7 is a design choice, they also said that if it's not received well, they return to the normal battle system, otherwise they'll continue to expand the turn based one (seems more a threat to me lol).

Now while I love turn based rpg, this battle system feels out of place in Yakuza 7, and conttibute to create the feeling that Yakuza 7 is just an oldish parody game, not if sure that was their main goal...

In any case I feel this strange choice is just a sign of "no more ideas" that the series is suffering with the latest games.
Of course after the amazing Yakuza 6 there isn't much you can do, apart evolving the series and making it more similar and deep like Shenmue.

Unfortunately they choose the lazy way to shuffle the cards using always the good old stuff and just changing the battle system.
The problem is Yakuza 7 doesn't feel new at all just because of the battle system and some new uninteresting characters, on the contrary is feels even more stiff now since there is no action, and the rest of the game is the same old Yakuza game.

Few days ago I booted up Shenmue 3 after a few weeks pause, and it gave me a sense of "liberation", especially compared to the latest Yakuza 7 and Judgment..

Now I understand why there is all the hate, Shenmue is very dangerous series because it makes pretty clear how much inferior are all the other open world games, and the fact that it can do this even as a kickstarter game, make it even more clear about what game has the best open world formula.

Too bad the world is trying to destroy again Shenmue, while they want more and more "PS2 stiffness" like Yakuza.

I think they did it because they got bored of making the same kind of Yakuza game for 10+ years and wanted a challenge. That's just me. I know Nagoshi would probably enjoy making another F-Zero or Binary Domain, but those things don't sell and he's got a big role at Sega.

I think they did it because they got bored of making the same kind of Yakuza game for 10+ years and wanted a challenge. That's just me. I know Nagoshi would probably enjoy making another F-Zero or Binary Domain, but those things don't sell and he's got a big role at Sega.

I understand this, but if you got bored, make a brand new game. Yakuza can evolve (a heresy for yakuza fanboys), no need to remain always to the same PS2 roots.
Only the battle system programmers got the chance to do something different in Yakuza 7, the rest of the team ( 90%) worked on the same old thing with a (kinda) new skin, that's pretty sad on staff part.

And even on the user part it's sad, we already know what to espect from a new Yakuza way before the release, and it's very boring playing always the same stuff.
Even stories started to feel all the same, even the sidequest started to have a deja-vu feel...even the new city Yokohama feels basic and plain.

Come on, they basically destroyed Sega to continue to make this series and to transform Sega into Nagoshi's personal garden, even Sonic is dead, at least make it worth!

Last edited:
I understand this, but if you got bored, make a brand new game. Yakuza can evolve (a heresy for yakuza fanboys), no need to remain always to the same PS2 roots.
Only the battle system programmers got the chance to do something different in Yakuza 7, the rest of the team ( 90%) worked on the same old thing with a (kinda) new skin, that's pretty sad on staff part.

And even on the user part it's sad, we already know what to espect from a new Yakuza way before the release, and it's very boring playing always the same stuff.
Even stories started to feel all the same, even the sidequest started to have a deja-vu feel...even the new city Yokohama feels basic and plain.

Come on, they basically destroyed Sega to continue to make this series and to transform Sega into Nagoshi's personal garden, even Sonic is dead, at least make it worth!

You want to stop?

As for the second point, I have no idea where that came from; Sega is going stronger than ever and the entirety of Ryu ga Gotoku/Yakuza is arguably the leading force behind this, after Sonic.

I get you have opinions, but stop it. 6 was a fantastic game BECAUSE it was an evolution.

Also Yakuza 6 selling 1 million copies isn't amazing. I think that is why they decided to change the combat.

Shenmue 1 on a dead console managed to sell more than the latest Yakuza game on 2 popular platforms.(PS4 and PC)

It's easier to make another Yakuza than build a brand new IP. Like I said, I'm sure Nagoshi would love to work on a new IP or on another one of his many great series--he is very much like Yu Suzuki--but they simply don't sell or present too much of a risk for Sega. Sega in 2020 is clearly much more risk averse than they were 20+ years ago.

You want to stop?

As for the second point, I have no idea where that came from; Sega is going stronger than ever and the entirety of Ryu ga Gotoku/Yakuza is arguably the leading force behind this, after Sonic.

I get you have opinions, but stop it. 6 was a fantastic game BECAUSE it was an evolution.

that's the problem with yakuza fans, they never want to hear the truth.

Last edited:
Also Yakuza 6 selling 1 million copies isn't amazing. I think that is why they decided to change the combat.

Shenmue 1 on a dead console managed to sell more than the latest Yakuza game on 2 popular platforms.(PS4 and PC)

Bingo,
The best selling Yakuza games (on a 100million base consoles) barely managed to reach Shenmue 1 sales (on a 10million base console).

Still Yu Suzuki was treated like trash by Sega and forced to retire, while Nagoshi was given free reign on the company, of course promoting only his games, while other Sega teams suffered, many IP died etc., even Sonic became a budget mediocre series.

Now I would understand if Yakuza was the Sega's Resident Evil, but that's not the case sales-wise.

In any case I hope they don't think to replicate the success of Persona 5 with Yakuza 7 by just going turn-based, it will be a harsh awakening...

that's the problem with yakuza fans, they never want to hear the truth.

?????

I AGREED with you that 6 was an evolution for the series and that's why it did so well.

Why are you taking shots at people?

EDIT* Oh, I see; you're one of those Sega bashers who doesn't know the whole story and goes off of bullshit articles and crap posted by, "gaming media."

Get some facts straight:

- Suzuki did NOT retire and was still actively developing and producing, after the 'mues came out (Shenmue Online, Shenmue Gai, Psy-Phi, etc.).
- Nagoshi wasn't given free reign of anything; Sonic Team still puts out crap that sells, but Nagoshi had to fight to get the first Yakuza and Binary Domain out.
- IPs didn't die after Shenmue, WTF did that come from? Anything that, "died," died BEFORE the Dreamcast even came out and even then, SoR is the only series off the top of my head that, "died;" literally all of the golden-age series got releases, post-Dreamcast. ALL OF THEM.

Don't let your opinions cloud your judgment or spin your brain off in a completely random direction that has no basis.

Last edited:
Back