What are you playing?

I am full into retro gaming at the moment.

Started a second play through of Deep Fear for the saturn. My first playthrough was with the japanese version, but I got a repro of the English version so I play it again.

On the original Playstation I started playing Syphon Filter 2 again for the first time in almost 20 years and game is still real fun.

I am also quite into Dead or Alive at the moment. Love the play DOA 1 on the Saturn, and DOA 2 on the Dreamcast.

Want to unlock all costumes in Both entries of the Series.

Same; I know the original course of CT like the back of my hand too!

Can't remember the best I've gotten, but it was 30 thousand+.

Also can't remember my best time with VF2, but it was definitely under 10 minutes and would've been with Wolf (the only character in the series I am consistently good with).

Seeing it in 60 FPS on the Saturn, just puts a smile on my face all day.

Actually I was playing the PS3 Arcade Version of VF2 this time...my Saturn's CD drive is dying and I'm waiting for either the long awaited Satiator project or for the Saturn GDEMU variant to go on sale again so I can finally re-use my Saturn. The Disc Drive stops spinning and refuses to load at times in my Saturn so I gather it's on its last legs as well.

The PS3 Arcade version is fantastic though. As too is that wonderful Saturn port. Thanks to a Saturn to USB converter that I have...I can play it with the Saturn pad on the PS3. So it makes it feel right to me.

Same with Crazy Taxi....went back to the PS3 version. Not quite the same without Bad Religion and The Offspring but the game is still as fun as it ever was. Highest I've ever been was around 20,000...I think I've done higher on the superior Dreamcast version back in the day though.

The Saturn Version VF 2 I have never played but I want to add it to my collection soon. Saw footage of it, and it really looks great for a Saturn game. I also like VF 3 for the Dreamcast.

The Saturn Version VF 2 I have never played but I want to add it to my collection soon. Saw footage of it, and it really looks great for a Saturn game. I also like VF 3 for the Dreamcast.

The Saturn port truly is a work of art. Given the original Model 2 version and how far ahead of the curb that tech was. By all means it is a game that you would have never imagined could be crammed onto the Saturn...yet somehow, someway the gods at AM2 figured it out and delivered a hell of a port...one of Sega Saturn's finest port jobs at that.

Truly a marvel even to this day. (I feel)

The Saturn port truly is a work of art. Given the original Model 2 version and how far ahead of the curb that tech was. By all means it is a game that you would have never imagined could be crammed onto the Saturn...yet somehow, someway the gods at AM2 figured it out and delivered a hell of a port...one of Sega Saturn's finest port jobs at that.

Truly a marvel even to this day. (I feel)
Just to put some context on the magic heres a comparison video between the Saturn and Arcade

I just finished a replay of the Gamecube version of Zelda Twilight Princess. I had forgotten how long it is. Great game. Better than Breath of the Wild in my opinion.

Finishing up A Plague Tale on Friday probably. So far it's been a pretty good game. Recommended.

I just got my Wreckfest code from when I backed it a couple years ago. I was a die hard Destruction Derby fan on PS1 so I'm hoping this gives me the same feel.

Just to put some context on the magic heres a comparison video between the Saturn and Arcade

The only thing that maybe lets it down are the fixed 2D infinite backgrounds that highlight the floating foreground 3D area. It does look a bit wonky especially in the opening attact video...but the detail on those backgrounds is still really impressive and so too is the foreground 3D elements. The texture work is pretty damn nice in said port.

But all in all, the animations are all there...the frame rate is there...the character models -- while slightly less detailed -- are still really quite impressive. Some of the stages are slightly changed. In the arcade version of Shun Di's stage, you float underneath a bridge...that's removed from the Saturn version (but understandably so given the hardware differences). The most important thing of all; the gameplay is identical to the arcade version.

Yeah, that port really stands out for me as being one of the best ports of that generation...and is easily up there with the best that the PlayStation and N64 had to offer.

It's really an outstanding port all things given. Especially considering the Saturn really wasn't known for its 3D and many considered its 3D to be the weak point of the system. I remember reading the gaming magazines back in the day and the skepticism that the Saturn could really pull of VF2 pre-release was high in most magazines. But AM2 really got the most out of that system and it showed not only in VF2 but in all of their ports.

Sega Rally is another pretty damn outstanding port on that system given the hardware it came from.

Last edited:
The only thing that maybe lets it down are the fixed 2D infinite backgrounds that highlight the floating foreground 3D area. It does look a bit wonky especially in the opening attact video...but the detail on those backgrounds is still really impressive and so too is the foreground 3D elements. The texture work is pretty damn nice in said port.

But all in all, the animations are all there...the frame rate is there...the character models -- while slightly less detailed -- are still really quite impressive. Some of the stages are slightly changed. In the arcade version of Shun Di's stage, you float underneath a bridge...that's removed from the Saturn version (but understandably so given the hardware differences). The most important thing of all; the gameplay is identical to the arcade version.

Yeah, that port really stands out for me as being one of the best ports of that generation...and is easily up there with the best that the PlayStation and N64 had to offer.

It's really an outstanding port all things given. Especially considering the Saturn really wasn't known for its 3D and many considered its 3D to be the weak point of the system. I remember reading the gaming magazines back in the day and the skepticism that the Saturn could really pull of VF2 pre-release was high in most magazines. But AM2 really got the most out of that system and it showed not only in VF2 but in all of their ports.

Sega Rally is another pretty damn outstanding port on that system given the hardware it came from.

I loved Sega Rally on the Saturn and still play it from time to time.

I'd never gotten to play the arcade version until last year at a gaming convention. I played the Saturn version first and went to the arcade cab and the difference was jarring at first. But when you compare them and the accuracy of the port it's amazing.

Also the cars have a higher top speed on the Saturn oddly

I try to play classic PC Games from my collection. But sometimes Securom doesn't work on my Windows 10 (Call of Duty for example). I would play Quake II RTX but i don't have that graphics card from nVidia, Global Illumination looks awesome. I play Indiana Jones and the Emperors Tomb. Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy makes still fun on replaying, i forgot almost everything what happened in this games.

Been playing Catherine Full Body (English Version)

I actually played through the Japanese Vita Version earlier in the year but I absolutely adore this game and have been playing through it again in English.

Easily one of my favorite games of the year thus far.

Been playing Catherine Full Body (English Version)

I actually played through the Japanese Vita Version earlier in the year but I absolutely adore this game and have been playing through it again in English.

Easily one of my favorite games of the year thus far.
Vita version is legit excellent. I wont be getting it for a 3rd time (own it on the PS3 as well) because to me, the game works so well on a handheld that I don't really feel the need to triple dip. The new arrange mode and level also add lots to the game.

Anyway, games I've been playing lately:

Ryu Ga Gotoku 5 Remaster (PS4). 98% Its been 142 hours and finally I'm basically done. Its just crazy how 142 hours in, I still have some pretty big side content to see and do. While I know some people have issues with 5 for this reason, I absolutely love just how much there is to do in this game. They could honestly have ended the series right here and I'd have not complained, its going to be really hard to ever top just how epic this game felt in so many ways.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. Replaying it on Hard mode this time. The levels and music are so masterfully designed, its definitely what I'd call one of the best platformers of all time no doubt. The rocket/minecart levels suck on hard mode though!

Bloodstained ROTN. An excellent metroidvania game, great bosses, nice level of exploration and some fantastic combat thank to the number of weapons and unique moves you get. Soundtrack is really the only thing that doesn't feel great in this game (its ok, just not amazing like SOTN was).

Ninja Warriors & Ninja Warriors Once Again. I finally played through the arcade version of NW in prep for the sequel being released on Switch. I like it, the first level makes it seem all too straight forward, but from level 2 it gets really tense and difficult to juggle all the enemy types. Bosses are a pain though.
Now NW Once Again... this is legit awesome. The gameplay has been heavily reworked and its so much better than its prequel. Looks amazing with some fantastic sprite work and is just incredibly fun to play.

Doom (1). The original, not the awesome 2016 sequel. I replayed the game on the Switch, and despite some port issues that really shouldn't exist, I still think the game is timeless. It still plays incredibly well, great level design, monster design, weapons, fast paced action etc. I already want to replay the game again, but I think I'll just settle for playing Doom 2, 64, Eternal through!

Oh, and via Yakuza 5 I played a few rounds on Virtua Fighter 2. Its still glorious, I love the level of animation put into the game, even if it kicks my ass more times than not!

I haven’t felt like playing or watching anything at all for the past two weeks but I guess I am about to get back to playing Tales of Beseria and then maybe try again to play Yakuza 0.

Playing World of Warcraft Classic with some friends, it's still the same great game I remember and although I'm not able to spend much time playing due to work and family life I am able to sneak in an hour here and there in ways that I wasn't 13 years ago.

aiqO9qW.jpg

Started a second play through of Deep Fear for the saturn. My first playthrough was with the japanese version, but I got a repro of the English version so I play it again.
Does the repo work in an unmodded Saturn?

I loved Sega Rally on the Saturn and still play it from time to time.

One of those games that just brings a smile to my face every time I play it.

Really enjoying the Saturn love here, as something of a penultimate milestone in Sega's decline it may leave a bitter taste in some fan's mouths but it holds a special place in my heart.

I'm cycling through some old unfinished backlog atm since I'm budgeting & slowly rebuilding my funds to buy newer games currently once I save enough. I've been tackling some seventh Gen titles. The 4 games I'm trying to clear on and off in between atm:

1.) Eternal Sonata

2.) Ascension of the Metatron

3.) Infinite Undiscovery

4.) Ninety Nine Nights

In honor of the Dreamcast 20th Anniversary (well, twenty years since the 9/9/99 American launch at least)

I went back and played some Dreamcast Games on Saturday. Let's get to it:

Virtua Fighter 3TB -- Arguably the black sheep of the Virtua Fighter family thanks to the addition of the Evade Button, but I still enjoy it. It's not quite on the same level as my love for Virtua Fighter 2 (or Virtua Fighter 4) but it does feel like the end of a certain era for Virtua Fighter before they moved onto Naomi hardware for VF4....you look at VF4 in comparison to VF3 and it is a night and day difference graphically speaking. VF3 has a distinct look about it shared by the first two games. It's easy to sniff down on it now, but Model 3 really was a sight to behold when it first hit the Arcade scene. The Evade Button is the elephant in the room...I personally didn't think it was that bad and felt it added strategy. Also the move to proper 3D environments was an interesting jump. This and Tekken 4 felt like they were trying something new and while not all of it works, I at least appreciated the effort to actually make the jump to full 3D instead of being stuck to a 2D plane...even if Virtua Fighter 4 did refine it and make it a hell of a lot better.

Crazy Taxi -- Cruising down the San Francisco hills to The Offspring's All I Want will never get old for me. This game is everything I love about Sega. Fast, fun, frantic, easy to learn but hard to master. Colorful, carefree and full of energy. I absolutely adore Crazy Taxi and on the Dreamcast 20 years later, it still holds up as being my favorite port (of all the Crazy Taxi ports, the DC version is best by far)

Crazy Taxi 2 -- New York doesn't quite have the same charm as San Francisco. I think it's the lack of hills that hurt Crazy Taxi 2. There was something so insanely fun about those first two hills that you go speeding and jumping down in the original game and New York never quite manages to replicate that feeling. Still, there are some interesting ideas added. Multiple Passenger fares was an interesting touch. The jump button was a bit of a hit or miss. Crazy Taxi 2 is fun and all, but I've always felt like it just lacked a certain charm that the original had in spades. Still, fun with a couple of cool new additions but Crazy Taxi will forever be my number one guy.

Jet Set Radio -- I actually played through the entirety of Jet Set Radio on Saturday. A truly fantastic game that despite its minor flaws (the lack of 2nd analog stick for camera control does hurt the game) still kind of holds up. It's one of the best platformers on the system with a killer soundtrack to boot. Again, easy to pick up and play but hard to master. But so damn rewarding once you have mastered it. I remember when I first played it way back when that I tried to play it like a Tony Hawk game and got frustrated with it. Then later on, I came to realize it's far more of a platformer than it is a Tony Hawk game and once you master the long jump/short jump...that's when it truly takes off and becomes its own thing. Hell of a game let down only by its camera issues...which weren't too bad, but still noticeable. Especially in some of the later levels where you really need the camera for certain jumps.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 -- Not a Dreamcast exclusive by any means, but this is where I first played Tony Hawk and this is where I first fell in love with Tony Hawk. As a kid, I spent countless hours in the Create a Skate Park mode designing Skate Parks. I actually at one point had the game at 95% completion (there were a few gaps I just couldn't get as a kid)

But yeah, great game that still holds up incredibly well. Still looks great, still plays just as damn well as it ever did. The soundtrack is still incredible (Rage Against the Machine and Anthrax w/Public Enemy for the win.) Still one of my personal favorites.

Space Channel 5 -- I was never good at Space Channel 5 back in the day. I'm a little better now after having a few years of experience with Rhythm games, but still, even now I have trouble keeping up with Space Channel 5. Still, much like Parappa the Rapper, there is a certain charm to this game that I absolutely adore.

Quake III Arena -- Yeah, playing with the Dreamcast controller sucks, but if you have the Keyboard and Mouse then this port was pretty damn awesome and still remains pretty damn awesome. I didn't have a decent gaming PC as a kid so this was the port I made do with and boy did I love playing this back in the day. Even now, it's still a lot of fun. Runs really well, looks great and plays just as well as I remember (so long as you're using the mouse and keyboard)

Virtua Tennis -- I finished off my little Dreamcast fest with Virtua Tennis. Still amazing in every way and still my favorite Tennis game ever made.

Might play some Dynamite Cop tonight when I get home. I also kind of want to go back and try out Sonic Adventure again, but that was my little Dreamcast celebration on Saturday.

As for Sunday:

Control -- I finally got around to starting Control yesterday. I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, it plays about as well as I expected a Remedy game to play, but I don't know...I'm just not feeling the story so far. There's something about the game that just isn't appealing to me. I hope it will pick up the more I play but so far, I'm kind of at odds with it. Also, I'm playing on PS4 Pro...have noticed a couple of spots where the frame rate really tanks but it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

Catherine: Full Body -- Finished off my True Rin playthrough. For all the nontroversy surrounding this game and how offensive it supposedly is, I truly don't get it. This game is actually more progressive then those complaining about it would have you believe. Take out some of the more absurd elements of Rin's story and what you'll find is actually a metaphor that is all about challenging the status quo. Especially when you factor in the Boss and his motivations for putting people into the Nightmare world. As someone who doesn't give one toss about gender politics, I thought it was rather forward thinking and couldn't see why someone who is obsessed with gender politics wouldn't praise this game for some of the points it tackles?

Anyways, I really loved my time spent with Catherine Full Body...I might keep plugging away at it...I still really want to try and platinum at least one of the Catherine titles. Even if they are blisteringly difficult Platinum trophies to achieve.

That's about it from me.

Ryu Ga Gotoku 5 Remaster (PS4). 98% Its been 142 hours and finally I'm basically done. Its just crazy how 142 hours in, I still have some pretty big side content to see and do. While I know some people have issues with 5 for this reason, I absolutely love just how much there is to do in this game. They could honestly have ended the series right here and I'd have not complained, its going to be really hard to ever top just how epic this game felt in so many ways.

I have to ask...do you find the grind to be ever tiresome? The only Yakuza game I ever went for the 100% was Yakuza Kiwami 2 (I also tried going for Yakuza 0 but the gambling/mini game grind got to me and I left it at 77% after 140 hours)

I love those games, but I don't think I have it in me to grind out the 100% for most of them. I'm in that position with Judgment. Kind of want to platinum it but don't think I want to do the long 100% grind.

So I have to ask, ever find it tireseome? Or do you enjoy the grind?

Last edited:
I have to ask...do you find the grind to be ever tiresome? The only Yakuza game I ever went for the 100% was Yakuza Kiwami 2 (I also tried going for Yakuza 0 but the gambling/mini game grind got to me and I left it at 77% after 140 hours)

I love those games, but I don't think I have it in me to grind out the 100% for most of them. I'm in that position with Judgment. Kind of want to platinum it but don't think I want to do the long 100% grind.

So I have to ask, ever find it tireseome? Or do you enjoy the grind?
I don't really consider it a grind to be honest, in Yakuza 5 at least. Thing is - its not really doing the same thing over and over but rather just doing an insane amount of different things which is driving up that completion time (plus I play rather slow!)
Only part of 5 that really gets annoying/tiresome is the arena and that's because they make you do it with two characters that are ill equipped to handle these fights. It should have been capped so only Kiryu and Saejima again could enter the arena - heck, same problem with Yakuza 0 as I personally don't fight Majima anywhere near as good in the arena as Kiryu, but at least you only have to clear it with one or the other there!

I've done almost all the Yakuza games 100% now I think. I've done 0, Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, 4, 5, Ishin, FOTNS, Judge Eyes... I've technically not done 3 due to the modding, but done everything else, 6 actually has some insanely grindy requirements that I gave up on but those were also optional. Technically 4's 100% is completely optional but I did that, and the Haruka stuff just for fun!
Grindiest stuff in Yakuza would probably belong to Ishin and FOTNS to be honest - Ishin has required modding and a second completion list of menial tasks that get annoying, while FOTNS (in Japan) has you get every darn piece of armor etc. for the 100% trophy, something that Sega of America saw as so bad that it was reduced to 50% when it was brought over here (I played the Japanese version!)

That said, I still love doing it, 0 had some stuff with Dragon and Tiger that was annoying but Yakuza (and Shenmue) are probably the only games outside of Capcom stuff I'll look to 100%. Anything else Id not even attempt!

I don't really consider it a grind to be honest, in Yakuza 5 at least. Thing is - its not really doing the same thing over and over but rather just doing an insane amount of different things which is driving up that completion time (plus I play rather slow!)
Only part of 5 that really gets annoying/tiresome is the arena and that's because they make you do it with two characters that are ill equipped to handle these fights. It should have been capped so only Kiryu and Saejima again could enter the arena - heck, same problem with Yakuza 0 as I personally don't fight Majima anywhere near as good in the arena as Kiryu, but at least you only have to clear it with one or the other there!

I've done almost all the Yakuza games 100% now I think. I've done 0, Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, 4, 5, Ishin, FOTNS, Judge Eyes... I've technically not done 3 due to the modding, but done everything else, 6 actually has some insanely grindy requirements that I gave up on but those were also optional. Technically 4's 100% is completely optional but I did that, and the Haruka stuff just for fun!
Grindiest stuff in Yakuza would probably belong to Ishin and FOTNS to be honest - Ishin has required modding and a second completion list of menial tasks that get annoying, while FOTNS (in Japan) has you get every darn piece of armor etc. for the 100% trophy, something that Sega of America saw as so bad that it was reduced to 50% when it was brought over here (I played the Japanese version!)

That said, I still love doing it, 0 had some stuff with Dragon and Tiger that was annoying but Yakuza (and Shenmue) are probably the only games outside of Capcom stuff I'll look to 100%. Anything else Id not even attempt!

Awesome.

The grind for me usually comes with the Gambling. I don't mind Mahjong (I actually learnt how to play Mahjong for this series in specific and have kind of grown fascinated with the game since) but I find things like Blackjack or what not tend to kill my desire after a while. There's always one little grind that always gets me. Or at least for me that is the case.

I was trying to do it for Judgment but that damn Puyo Puyo requirement just killed (beat all 10 opponents...I have 9 defeated and I just can't get that last one)

I usually find it's stuff like that which kills me with the 100% achievement...I either hit those little road blocks that keep me from doing it or I just get a little tired of the long grind and move onto something else

It's kind of the same as when I go for Platinum Trophies....I usually have to be in the mood to do it. Otherwise, sometimes I just don't have the patience to sit there and do it and tend to move on to the next thing.

Awesome.

The grind for me usually comes with the Gambling. I don't mind Mahjong (I actually learnt how to play Mahjong for this series in specific and have kind of grown fascinated with the game since) but I find things like Blackjack or what not tend to kill my desire after a while. There's always one little grind that always gets me. Or at least for me that is the case.

I was trying to do it for Judgment but that damn Puyo Puyo requirement just killed (beat all 10 opponents...I have 9 defeated and I just can't get that last one)

I usually find it's stuff like that which kills me with the 100% achievement...I either hit those little road blocks that keep me from doing it or I just get a little tired of the long grind and move onto something else

It's kind of the same as when I go for Platinum Trophies....I usually have to be in the mood to do it. Otherwise, sometimes I just don't have the patience to sit there and do it and tend to move on to the next thing.
Many Yakuza games have cheat items for gambling, I don't always use them, but sometimes if I've played two other Yakuza games this year with gambling, I'll use them to speed the process up!
The Puyo thing is definitely one of the toughest challenges they included in the series to 100%. Even took me a couple of hours to clear that one!

Back