What are you playing?

Spent most of today playing Sega's Gain Ground on my Switch. Its a really addictive and fairly tough overhead shooter, which rewards a slower, more careful playstyle (some of the enemies are really dangerous if you go running straight in). Its one of Sega's games I'd not been aware of until the Switch port, and I'm thankful for finally trying it as I'm having lots of fun with it. Only real issues I have with the game are some stages requiring certain characters to clear out all enemies, and only a couple of characters will work in a couple of levels - making said levels a chore to play. I can only think of 3-4 levels out of 40 like this, but its still a tiny issue with an otherwise ace game.

Quickly tried the Sega Ages games on 3DS. I feel like I should have picked these up a while back on release because super scaler games + 3D effect = eye popping visuals! Outrun especially I see why the 3DS version is praised so much, its just gorgeous. Space Harrier as well feels like it benefits from the 3D effect just by making some things easier to avoid, or maybe I'm finally getting better.

Streets of Rage doesn't really benefit quite as much from being in 3D, but it still looks super nice because the foreground and background layers really pop. Plus the game kicks ass anyway, so just replaying the game all over again is enough of a treat.

Shenmue 1 HD baby!

After 20 years I have finally managed to get the capsule toys for both QTE Title arcade machines*.
*I may have used a guide.

So...
Final Fantasy XV
The Witcher 2
Alien Isolation
Sonic mania (again)

And now... I've just entered to the world of Warframe.

Help me.

I'm alternating between Rocket League and Beat Cop. Those will be dropkicked out of the window on May 9th when Yakuza Kiwami 2 releases on Steam.

Going strong about 12 hours into Okami. Such a gorgeous game and instant top 5. The RE itch--no pun intended--came back earlier than anticipated, so I've altered my projected road map to Shenmue III:

Okami+RE5
Last Guardian
Grim Fandango+Killer7+Shenmue 2x
Syberia 2+RErev

Been playing loads of Devil May Cry 5 this week. Almost done with SoS difficulty and got the hidden ending finally yesterday. Definitely the best combat in an action game I've played, its just so damn good.

I'm playing the Wolfenstein Rebbot series, strangely I never got around to beting The Old Blood, after 3 attempts i never got around to beating it - nto usre why it's nto really a tricky game. But now I have the DLC to Wolfenstein 2 which was on sale, I can properly play through all of them in prep for the new one next month.

There has been a lot of thought put into the art direction and it's alternate history scenario. I also like the shooting mechanics, I don't tend to use the Aim function in shooters but am still slow and precise and this game works perfectly for it. It's also another one of them games that really feels satisfying using a silenced pistol. It's a very good series and I look forward to playing more.

It took me ten years to get around to playing RDR 1, so far be it from me to rush you.

The missions in this one have been more memorable so far, but I enjoyed the sandbox elements of the first one more.

And by sandbox elements I mean lassoing random people without the all-seeing law getting involved.

playing halo 1 on the original xbox. i did start splinter cell blacklist (ps3) for the 3rd time not long ago but still haven't completed it yet.

ive played all the halo games including the masterchief collection.. i gotta say i barely remember any of the games other than the first 1.. unfortunately the rest are quite forgettable.

the first halo has such a good story. humans fighting an alien race, discovering/exploring an ancient alien made "planet", a virus(zombies) and to top it all off an evil AI.. it could of been a great plot for a movie if they didn't turn it into a game... having said that, halo 1 steals quite a lot from aliens(1986)

Played two hours of Yakuza Kiwami 2 on PC earlier on; I had more fun in those two hours than I did the entirety of the original Kiwami, which I found to be a major letdown. That updated Dragon Engine - mmm!

Played two hours of Yakuza Kiwami 2 on PC earlier on; I had more fun in those two hours than I did the entirety of the original Kiwami, which I found to be a major letdown. That updated Dragon Engine - mmm!
Same here (although I liked Kiwami 1). For anyone who was disappointed in the first Kiwami after playing Zero, definitely give Kiwami 2 a shot, it's a lot less bare-bones. Being able to play Virtua Fighter 2 and Virtual On alone is worth the price of admission.

Same here (although I liked Kiwami 1). For anyone who was disappointed in the first Kiwami after playing Zero, definitely give Kiwami 2 a shot, it's a lot less bare-bones. Being able to play Virtua Fighter 2 and Virtual On alone is worth the price of admission.
Agreed. Kiwami 2 hits so many right notes, especially where combat is concerned. Its predecessor was just so... boring, pedestrian, and forgetful. Right from the moment the player first enters Kamarucho, it's pumping and lively, whereas its predecessor was wet fart after wet fart for the most part.

Odd that people find the combat better in Kiwami 2, seeing as its so much more basic and restrictive compared to the 4 incredibly different styles you get in Kiwami, lots of different moves, the fast style cancel move added in Kiwami (not present in 0) is actually one of the low key best improvements to the combat, makes it so darn good. I love Rush and Beast styles, and while 6 and Kiwami 2 especially do add a few Beast related moves into the Climax Heat mode I still miss them. Pity Kiwami also adds in the boss Kiwami heat moves which just plain suck, no surprise they've never reappeared since! Kiwami also has the far better tiger drop, this is fact ;) I love Kiwami though as a remake of the first game, so I'll always be somewhat biased.

Kiwami 2 rocks in its own regard though, new engine is amazing and the combat is vastly improved over 6 (weapons being the main readdition to the game, more heat moves being the other). Plus, its still a remake of Yakuza 2, so some of the set pieces are simply jaw dropping, especially later on in the game. Only thing I miss from the original Yakuza 2 was the Club Adam mini game/side story, it was so good, should never have been cut Nagoshi! <shakes fist>

Anyway, I've been playing much more Devil May Cry 5, loving the combat so much on SoS difficulty, it makes the bosses especially more fun. Just got missions 19 and 20 left, then its DMD mode...
Also been playing lots of Konami arcade games, forgotten how tough the old arcade Gradius games were, gonna take me quite a while to get good at these for sure!

Well I'm finally back home in Australia from Japan after spending a month in Tokyo.

What have I been playing?

In Japan, I played a ton of Tekken 7 at Arcades. I'm not the greatest fighting game player, but I did do well enough to get into the green ranks during my stay. I played a total of 473 matches and won 203 (by my ranking card.) Not too shabby considering I expected to get my ass handed to me and I did a number of times. Japanese kids are quick with this game. Some of the people I played against were pretty damn good. But I'm proud of my 203 victories. I was playing for at least an hour every other day while there and picked up some new things along the way. All in all, a ton of fun.

I spent a fair bit of time at Arcades. I was studying for three of five weeks so there were times where I had to be in Tokyo and couldn't really venture outside of Tokyo. So the Arcades became my go to during down time from studying.

Played a lot of Virtua Fighter 2 (of course!). Played some Street Fighter V (although I'm not much of a Street Fighter player), played a lot of Shmups. Checked out some VR games (which is the new thing that arcades are leaning into over there)

Had a good time frequenting arcades but Tekken 7 was my mainstay.

Now that I'm back home, I finally cracked into Days Gone. I'm enjoying it. It seems like a lesser The Last of Us But is still fun to play. It's a curious game to me, some of its design choices feel a little last gen/early current gen to me. But it does have its hooks in me. So far it seems like the perfect definition of "swimming in 7's"

I still have to crack into Mortal Kombat 11 as well at some point. Also grabbed Sekiro (an imported US copy) while I was in Japan. And I want to grab Dangerous Driving at some point (because I love Burnout and I HAVE to check this game out at some point)

My back log continues to grow, but I'm gonna try to get through Day's Gone and Mortal Kombat 11 this month.

Totally agree about Days Gone. It's not a bad game, and I'm finally starting to enjoy it. It just feels like a stew full of concepts that were done in better games. Five years ago.

Luckily, I enjoy most of those gameplay concepts. It really has started to grow on me.

Playing this back to back with RDR2 is like night and day, quality-wise. But still really entertaining.

Totally agree about Days Gone. It's not a bad game, and I'm finally starting to enjoy it. It just feels like a stew full of concepts that were done in better games. Five years ago.

Luckily, I enjoy most of those gameplay concepts. It really has started to grow on me.

Playing this back to back with RDR2 is like night and day, quality-wise. But still really entertaining.

Metal Gear Solid V is the one game that keeps coming to mind as I play it...it feels like they really took a lot from MGS V in terms of design.

I have a few pet peeves with it. I hate the fact that your limited to your bike as the one means of transport. So many instances of being pitted against hordes where I've had no fuel in bike and thought "if only I could jump into a car and just drive." It's cool on one hand because the hordes are really nerve racking to face off against...but also annoying when you don't have fuel in your bike and you can't really shake them on foot...actually, even when you're not being chased by a horde, I still find the freakers hard to shake at times in small packs.

Also, I think the gun play is a bit sloppy....I really like Melee combat in the game, but I'm not a big fan of the gunplay for whatever reason...something about the guns just feels a little off to me.

Still, I am enjoying it. I just fought my first Bear last night and quite enjoyed it. I like the fact that the map isn't too big. Not really a fan of massive open worlds (it's why I never got into The Witcher 3...the size of the world map daunted me) so I was happy to see a good sized map in this game that isn't too big just for the sake of it. With Open World maps, I prefer smaller but more densely packed maps...hence why I really like Kamurocho in Yakuza...it's just about the right size with a ton of detail within to keep me invested for 50-100 odd hours.

The story is finally starting to get its hooks in me...I am starting to warm up to Deacon (especially now that I'm seeing more of his past with Sarah)

Yeah, I mean it's not bad but still curious in its design. I don't think it's a 5 like some critics gave it...more like a 7.5 or maybe an 8.

Last edited:
Back