Steam vs Epic Games

Edge Magazine issue 335. Written before the refunds were confirmed.

They seem to not care over the epic issue though and overall positive.

View attachment 3559

Edge - one of the most respectable and best gaming magazines in the world - aren't buying the outrage either. Good for them, taking a principled stand against the peddlers of lies and false outrage.

Edge - one of the most respectable and best gaming magazines in the world - aren't buying the outrage either. Good for them, taking a principled stand against the peddlers of lies and false outrage.

What false outrage though ?
Then again, it's not because you're not impacted that it's a "false outrage".
Heck, if it wasn't Shenmue III, I'd be getting my money back already. In no world a publisher selling backers as a perk to another publisher is okay, especially when it's to enforce a worse experience to them.

What false outrage though ?
Then again, it's not because you're not impacted that it's a "false outrage".
Heck, if it wasn't Shenmue III, I'd be getting my money back already. In no world a publisher selling backers as a perk to another publisher is okay, especially when it's to enforce a worse experience to them.

Okay, I'm going to break it down for you. It's really simple.

Install Epic
Launch Epic
Launch Shenmue 3
Play Shenmue 3 on your PC, as promised

"Problem" solved.

No one is affected by this change. No one can no longer play Shenmue 3 as a result of the change. The "problem" and "issue" is entirely manufactured.

Install Epic
Launch Epic
Launch Shenmue 3

"Problem" solved.

No one is affected by this change. No one can no longer play Shenmue 3 as a result of the change. The "problem" and "issue" is entirely manufactured.

Great. Except I cant play it on my TV the same way I used to. Except I have limited controller support. Except I have no screenshot stuff mapped to my controller.
No achievements either. Except I cant lend my game. Nor I cant use cloud saves when I play on my laptop.

"Problem solved" my ass. I'm affected. A lot of people are affected. You're not affected, of course you play on PS4. I'll tell you what. If it becomes a PS Now exclusive, I'm not affected. ;-)

Install Epic
Launch Epic
Launch Shenmue 3

"Problem" solved.

I have a new table and chairs to sell you. I can only deliver it while you're out though, so please give me the keys to your house. I promise I won't steal anything.

What, you don't want to give me the keys? It's really simple.

Give me keys
I build the table and chairs in your kitchen
You get a table and chairs

Problem solved, there's no reason for you not to give me the keys to your house.

That's such a silly complaint to make. The height of entitlement. Oh no, you'll have to plug your laptop into your TV to play on a TV (or, like, you know, play the widely available PS4 version). Oh no, no silly achievements. Oh no, no cloud saves, so you might have to play on a designated machine or transfer saves in another easy to do method. Way to prove my point that it's simply because you don't like Epic. Plus, full controller support has already been confirmed for Shenmue 3.

Also PS Now exclusivity isn't even a thing and is a ridiculous comparison.

I have a new table and chairs to sell you. I can only deliver it while you're out though, so please give me the keys to your house. I promise I won't steal anything.

What, you don't want to give me the keys? It's really simple.

Give me keys
I build the table and chairs in your kitchen
You get a table and chairs

Problem solved, there's no reason for you not to give me the keys to your house.

I've done that hundreds of times...

Edit: Sorry, but I really need to elaborate on just how silly and nonsensical this comment. It's comments like this that make people like me think the outrage brigade are so ridiculous. No one's coming to your house to steal stuff because of Epic. Yeah, yeah, the Chinese Government are spying on you though lol.

But yeah, to answer your point. I left keys with someone to install my boiler whilst I was at work. I did the same when my new kitchen was installed and when my new bathroom was installed and when someone came to fix the old boiler. I've done it a million times.

Last edited:
That's such a silly complaint to make. The height of entitlement. Oh no, you'll have to plug your laptop into your TV to play on a TV (or, like, you know, play the widely available PS4 version). Oh no, no silly achievements. Oh no, no cloud saves, so you might have to play on a designated machine or transfer saves in another easy to do method. Way to prove my point that it's simply because you don't like Epic. Plus, full controller support has already been confirmed for Shenmue 3.

Also PS Now exclusivity isn't even a thing and is a ridiculous comparison.

No it hasnt been. In fact it has been confirmed there's no remapping.

Then again I wont blame you for being ignorant on the matter.
Btw you didnt adress the sharing part.
I gave you a lot of reasons and yet you whine at me "oh no your convenience" well, yes, my convenience. Does it bother you ? "Or play the readily available ps4 version" sorry but not.
I want to play the way I want.

And yes, PS Now would be just another launcher for you too. :)
The thing is, it's not a question for you. But I'm sure your tune would be a different one. "Muh physical copy" "muh ownership". But you're too dishonest to recognize it.

Edit: Sorry, but I really need to elaborate on just how silly and nonsensical this comment. It's comments like this that make people like me think the outrage brigade are so ridiculous. No one's coming to your house to steal stuff because of Epic. Yeah, yeah, the Chinese Government are spying on you though lol.

Who said anything about stealing? Was just going to look through your stuff.

But yeah, to answer your point. I left keys with someone to install my boiler whilst I was at work. I did the same when my new kitchen was installed and when my new bathroom was installed and when someone came to fix the old boiler. I've done it a million times.

You have a lot more trust in strangers than I do. I wouldn't leave my house unattended if someone I didn't know was going to be there.

Edit: I'm going to keep this up here, don't want to stealth edit, but apologies if this is getting too heated from my side GhostTrick. I didn't intend for it to get that way, although my comments on that matter have been provocative. Sorry about that.

No it hasnt been. In fact it has been confirmed there's no remapping.

Oh no, you can't remap the controls!?? What a travesty.

Fucking lol

I gave you a lot of reasons and yet you whine at me "oh no your convenience" well, yes, my convenience. Does it bother you ?

It bothers me when you're* disingenuous about what was and was not promised to backers during the campaign. It bothers me when you add fuel to the fire and continue to encourage and peddle controversy where there is none. It bothers me that you act as if you are entitled to any of those things. It bothers me when you jump to conclusions about pre-order bonuses before awaiting any kind of confirmation or ignore anything about KS backers having their own exckusive items.

*Not you personally, but your "side".

And yes, PS Now would be just another launcher for you too. :)
The thing is, it's not a question for you. But I'm sure your tune would be a different one. "Muh physical copy" "muh ownership". But you're too dishonest to recognize it.

Oh please. I really couldn't give a shit how I play Shenmue 3. Physical games will be dead within a decade.

Besides, PS Now really would affect a lot of people (not me, mind), because the stable internet required to stream games well is not available or an option yet to a lot of people in the world.

Oh no, you can't remap the controls!?? What a travesty.

Fucking lol

It bothers me when you're* disingenuous about what was and was not promised to backers during the campaign. It bothers me when you add fuel to the fire and continue to encourage and peddle controversy where there is none. It bothers me that you act as if you are entitled to any of those things. It bothers me when you jump to conclusions about pre-order bonuses before awaiting any kind of confirmation or ignore anything about KS backers having their own exckusive items.

*Not you personally, but your "side".

Oh please. I really couldn't give a shit how I play Shenmue 3. Physical games will be dead within a decade.

Besides, PS Now really would affect a lot of people (not me, mind), because the stable internet required to stream games well is not available or an option yet to a lot of people in the world.

Listen Reprise, you're a good person, but we'll never agree on that. But maybe it's fine to accept that maybe for me, it's a bit more problematic than it is for you ?

You're basically acting like a thought police telling me "How dare you feel annoyed by this !". Look, I got over it. But maybe you should accept that not everyone has the same expectations and such ? Not everyone likes to play in the same.conditions ?
Like it or not, a change has been made that affects my way to enjoy my games. I'm not telling you it's a disaster. I'm telling you it's making it worse. Maybe I know more about my own preferences than you do ?
Yes, like it or not, I commute a lot during the week. So I switch between my desktop, laptop, handheld a lot. Like it or not, but the process for me is easy and painless with cloud saves.

Also, when you make fun about remappable controls: Sorry to break it down but you're sounding like a dick here. There are a lot of people with disabilities that needs remappable controls. Now if you plan to tell me "eh, sucks for you, next time be born without disabilities" I dont know what to tell you. And for the record, no, I dont suffer from disabilities. I once had a finger broken and remapping controls in an easy way allowed me.to keep playing my games. I also know a lot of people for whom remapping controls basically allow them to play a game or not. Because indeed they have disabilities.

As I said, I'm not here to tell you it's a disaster the game is ruined. I'm telling you "that you dont care is fine, especially it's easy to not care when you're not concerned. But maybe it's also fine to not talk for everyone that it's nothing, it's the same and there's no issue".

If tmr, the game had no english dub, I'd be fine too. But maybe it'd change the enjoyment for some people. If the game was streaming only, I could still play it too because I have a fast internet. But I dont come of my high horses telling everyone that "it's nothing, stop caring".

Hey @GhostTrick I'm sorry our arguments and discussions over the last month have got a bit heated. I've been way too provocative and confrontational. Sorry for dismissing yours and other people's concerns. For the record, although me being an argumentative person has no doubt clouded my point, I wasn't initially trying to control what you do or do not find to be an inconvenience/annoyance with the move to Epic. My argument is I do not personally believe it entitles people to a refund and that the issue has been overblown by people online. You may well disagree with me though and it wasn't nice of me to try and shout down anyones point of view that differs with mine.

So yeah, sorry everyone for starting another argument. I'll try to drop the whole Epic discussions and focus on making more positive and constructive contributions to the forum.

Hey @GhostTrick I'm sorry our arguments and discussions over the last month have got a bit heated. I've been way too provocative and confrontational. Sorry for dismissing yours and other people's concerns. For the record, although me being an argumentative person has no doubt clouded my point, I wasn't initially trying to control what you do or do not find to be an inconvenience/annoyance with the move to Epic. My argument is I do not personally believe it entitles people to a refund and that the issue has been overblown by people online. You may well disagree with me though and it wasn't nice of me to try and shout down anyones point of view that differs with mine.

So yeah, sorry everyone for starting another argument. I'll try to drop the whole Epic discussions and focus on making more positive and constructive contributions to the forum.

For the record, I dont believe it deserve that shitstorm either. I understand how you and many people are coming from. Of course it's even more difficult to care about an issue when not only it's not concerning you but also has been blown way out of proportion by some people, going as far as death threats and such.

As I said, it makes a difference for me and many. Would I prefer to play it on Steam for convenience ? Sure I would. Will it prevent me from playing Shenmue III on day one. It sure wont.

As I said, I agree with you when you claim it's been way overblown. Hence why you must understand how sometimes it can be annoying for some dojo users to feel lumped together with those assholes making so much noise.

So yeah in the end, no harsh feeling I still like to argue with you and many people here.

Install Epic
Launch Epic
Launch Shenmue 3

"Problem" solved.

I agree with this.
OF COURSE, we all know steam is better and has many more features.
But aren't those features way more important for and directed twards multiplayer games?
Shenmue is a single player expirience.
If the DC back in the day was enough for us to love these games as much as we did, I think Epic launcher will do just fine.

You can sitll play all your other games on STEAM.

Last edited:
I agree with this.
OF COURSE, we all know steam is better and has many more features.
But aren't those features way more important for and directed twards multiplayer games?
Shenmue is a single player expirience.
If the DC back in the daw is enough for us to love these games as much as we did, I think Epic launcher will do just fine.

You can sitll play all your other games on STEAM.

Well there's a reply up there explaining why for a single player games, it can make a difference too. For some people, crucial to the point of even playing the game (see disabilities or Linux support).

Install Epic
Launch Epic
Launch Shenmue 3

"Problem" solved.

I'm really impressed by your deep and critical analysis of the problem.

Back