Steam vs Epic Games

BruceWayne911

Arm Break Fire (➡️⬅️⬅️ 👐)
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Why is this such a big deal to gamers? Epic games is letting developers keep 88% of the revenue and even more if you use the unreal engine. Steam only gives 70%. If I'm a developer I'm picking Epic Games everytime. I know Steam has more features but why the outright refusal to support Epic Games?

Its a very bad move. I feel publishers of Shenmue 3 is really trying their best to ruin sales and pissing off PC gamers on purpose with their exclusive bulls***

I have them both installed and couldn't care less which one the game is in. I don't have any idea why people hate Epic, or care so much about steam. But this is definitely hurting the game, judgin by kickstarter and youtube comments and I hope they take a step back for that reason.

It will reduce PC total sales badly and limit the market reach this is enough reason why this is a terrible decision.

If PC sales suffer badly we are only hurting ourselves. We have been waiting for Shenmue 3 for almost 20 years and we are risking our chances for a sequel because of the launcher you use to play the game. Asinine!

Will it really reduce PC sales? Someone that wants to play Shenmue 3 on PC will download the Epic Games client. I don't know how many sales of the game would occur by someone just finding it on steam and buying it without knowing what it was at first. I would imagine that it wouldn't be that many.

If PC sales suffer badly we are only hurting ourselves. We have been waiting for Shenmue 3 for almost 20 years and we are risking our chances for a sequel because of the launcher you use to play the game. Asinine!
If you think logically you will know why.
Steam is the dominant player in the PC market and Shenmue will have a bigger market reach there. This is easy to comprehend.
Honestly If I was not a fan of Shenmue but was interested I would simply skip the game just because is not on steam. Would not bother installing another client.

1. Its a retarded move since people in China can't play this game on PC since Epic Games blocked. Shenmue III was market heavily in China there.https://www.abacusnews.com/digital-...ina-protect-employees-country/article/3003534
  2. People from other countries will have a hard time buying the game.
4) Read comments here https://www.facebook.com/ShenmueOfficial/

1. I owe all my PC games on Steam including Shenmue I & II and rather keep shenmue 3 there as well. Not have to download another fucking client just to play another game that was initially in the same client I play Shenmu I & II

Its a retarded move since people in China can't play this game on PC since Epic Games blocked. Shenmue III was market heavily in China there.https://www.abacusnews.com/digital-...ina-protect-employees-country/article/3003534
This decision does not affect China. They already have a distribution partnership with Tencent and the game will be sold on the WeGame store.

It probably doesn't affect Japan either, since Deep Silver's distribution agreement with YsNet is for the US and Europe.

Reasons not to use Epic Store:
  1. They have terrible security (80 million accounts were exposed last week)
  2. They have terrible customer service (just google it)
  3. Games are more expensive on Epic due to regional pricing
  4. You can't play games offline
  5. Limited social features
  6. No screenshots
  7. No controller support
  8. They broke EU laws (and still do)
  9. Scummy tactics (you had to tick a box to opt out of emails etc)
  10. They are partially owned by Tencent (a company that sells user data to the Chinese government)
  11. No achievements
  12. No cloud saves
  13. No game forums (many people went to steam for subnautica support)
  14. Epic make you pay the transaction fee when purchasing games
15)They are anti-consumer (They pay for exclusive rights to games to try and force you to use their store)
  1. They can refuse refunds even if you meet the criteria
  2. No reviews
  3. No Linux support

If you think logically you will know why.
Steam is the dominant player in the PC market and Shenmue will have a bigger market reach there. This is easy to comprehend.
Honestly If I was not a fan of Shenmue but was interested I would simply skip the game just because is not on steam. Would not bother installing another client.

1. Its a retarded move since people in China can't play this game on PC since Epic Games blocked. Shenmue III was market heavily in China there.https://www.abacusnews.com/digital-...ina-protect-employees-country/article/3003534
  2. People from other countries will have a hard time buying the game.
View attachment 3050
4) Read comments here https://www.facebook.com/ShenmueOfficial/

1. I owe all my PC games on Steam including Shenmue I & II and rather keep shenmue 3 there as well. Not have to download another fucking client just to play another game that was initially in the same client I play Shenmu I & II

If Epic Games store is cutoff to certain regions that sucks and I completely understand that view point. I also understand that Steam was promised and it's the preferred option. I don't even think Epic Games store was around when Shenmue 3 Kickstarter was going on so Steam was the default. Now that Steam has competition 88%+ just makes more sense business wise.

Reasons not to use Epic Store:
  1. They have terrible security (80 million accounts were exposed last week)
  2. They have terrible customer service (just google it)
  3. Games are more expensive on Epic due to regional pricing
  4. You can't play games offline
  5. Limited social features
  6. No screenshots
  7. No controller support
  8. They broke EU laws (and still do)
  9. Scummy tactics (you had to tick a box to opt out of emails etc)
  10. They are partially owned by Tencent (a company that sells user data to the Chinese government)
  11. No achievements
  12. No cloud saves
  13. No game forums (many people went to steam for subnautica support)
  14. Epic make you pay the transaction fee when purchasing games
15)They are anti-consumer (They pay for exclusive rights to games to try and force you to use their store)
  1. They can refuse refunds even if you meet the criteria
  2. No reviews
  3. No Linux support

I'm not trying to sell you on Epic Game store. I believe alot of this would go away if Steam would up their revenue kickback. I think Staen would run Epic Games out of town if they went from 70% to 80% but for whatever reason Steams not budging.

Don’t get why folks are raging over Steam, a company that doesn’t seem to care enough about Shenmue III to give Ys Net as much promotion, profit-share, or support as Epic...

Just seems like more misplaced rage...

I’d download Shenmue III over dial-up AOL if I had to...

Basically what Ren said, but really is that a lot of people see it as a way of buying marketshare and don't want pc to become more closed off like consoles (you can see how basically only GOG gets a pass because they are DRM free).
I can see their side, specially since it's not like they are funding games, but just paying upfront for the exclusives.
And in Shenmue case, it's a kickstarter game, that already had sony marketing, a producer, now deep silver, tencent and epic, kinda seems against what KS was about.
There will be another shitstorm if Shenmue comes with DRM (specially malware like denuvo).
EDIT: Also China.

Last edited:
Don’t get why folks are raging over Steam, a company that doesn’t seem to care enough about Shenmue III to give Ys Net as much promotion, profit-share, or support as Epic...

Just seems like more misplaced rage...

I’d download Shenmue III over dial-up AOL if I had to...

Because that's what I paid for.
By getting my game on Steam I also get:
  • Full controller support
  • Linux support
  • The possibility to share my game/lend my game
  • Achievements
  • Cloud saves

These are features I use everyday. And the problem is far beyond that. It's that YsNet and Deep Silver sold us for money.

Because that's what I paid for.
By getting my game on Steam I also get:
  • Full controller support
  • Linux support
  • The possibility to share my game/lend my game
  • Achievements
  • Cloud saves
These are features I use everyday. And the problem is far beyond that. It's that YsNet and Deep Silver sold us for money.

It’s a crowdfund for Shenmue III...

You’ll probably still get your steam keys...

But the steam monopoly isn’t better for developers...

Ys Net and Shenmue III will now have far more promotion, profit-share, and support to make the saga even better...

It’s a crowdfund for Shenmue III...

You’ll probably still get your steam keys...

But the steam monopoly isn’t better for developers...

Ys Net and Shenmue III will now have far more promotion, profit-share, and support to make the saga even better...

No, we received private messages telling us it'll be Epic keys.

What Steam monopoly are you talking about ? Is it good for developers to lie to their backers ?

What money ? What promotion ? Did the game magically changed ? Did the visuals became great or are they still subpar (even worse ??).

What promotion ? You call that promotion ? It's a PR nightmare.

And yes you're right. It.s a crowdfundes game. WE made Shenmue III possible. Epic arrived 3 months before release, when the party was over. Don't serve me the "it's better for the game". It's clearly not. Who cares about better revenue shares if the game doesn't sell ?

Also following your logic, they should cancel the PS4 version. Since the revenue share is the same as Steam on PSN.

I would not mind if the game was on Epic games if they invested around10 million on the game but that is unlike they spend anything. Deep Silver made a deal with Epic games to move games from Steam to their platform. Deep Silver did this to benefit themselves, not Shenmue franchise, in fact, they damaged it badly. The deal money went to Deep Silver not Shenmue. They sold us out.

I would not mind if the game was on Epic games if they invested around10 million on the game but that is unlike they spend anything. Deep Silver made a deal with Epic games to move games from Steam to their platform. Deep Silver did this to benefit themselves, not Shenmue franchise, in fact, they damaged it badly. The deal money went to Deep Silver not Shenmue. They sold us out.

Exactly. That's what I want people to understand here. They didn't fund Shenmue III. They didn't inject money early to make it a better game. What happened here is that Deep Silver reduced their own risk. Nothing more, nothing less.

Will PC gamers be able to use a controller on Epic Games....?

I'm going to copy and paste my reply to the other thread here:

As far as "lying to backers", we also we have to consider and what everyone seems to be ignoring (EDIT FOR EMPHASIS) is that the epic games store wasn't even a twinkle in Sweeney's eye when the campaign was launched. Now that it exists, perhaps the change and exclusivity has bought in needed cash to development and engine support and better revenue gains for the developer/publisher. I mean look instead of drowning in the sea of Steam shite it was even the first game in that recent showcase video by Epic themselves.

Now before we go "oh muh greedy corporations" consider the game was on a shoestring to begin with. 6 mill is nothing. Ysnet and Neilo are not institutions like EA or Ubisoft. And unfortunately to get more money for development it has to be profitable for somebody else or they'd never give the money over. Its disappointing Sega didn't want to be involved as publisher but that's history, and if anything makes this outcome more inevitable.

Am I saying things have been perfect? No. And no with this they haven't promised things to the letter of the campaign. I will be legitimately mad if i dont get my collectables which were promised but this wont stop you playing the game at all.

TL:DR: YSnet were minnows, to make S3 happen properly deals had to be made with the big fish. I'm more understanding of this than some other things with the project.

Back