Steam vs Epic Games

Of course, the industry titan that is ‘House House’ are the perfect example to bring up here. That company that I’ve never heard of and by their own admission in that tweet, have never developed a game good enough to enable them to operate stably in spite of having been trying for ‘years’.
This has literally nothing to do with anything I said in my post. Have you finally realized that you’ve been misusing the word ‘monopoly’ all this time and decided to switch to spamming this random tweet from a developer that nobody has ever heard of instead?

At this point, you valve distribution folks are a lost cause...

Thank goodness developers like Ys Net see the truth...

Take care for good...

images
I had a five year old translate this for anybody else that doesn’t speak ‘petulant child’.

So it is a fact that refunds are not given, and I keep hearing people blame Deep Silver for this - but isn't it more likely to be in YS Net? I mean, it's not the first game from Deep Silver that gets snatched into Epic, but I believe all other games so far have offered refunds, so since it's the same publisher I find it unlikely they would do things differently (but who knows)

So it is a fact that refunds are not given, and I keep hearing people blame Deep Silver for this - but isn't it more likely to be in YS Net? I mean, it's not the first game from Deep Silver that gets snatched into Epic, but I believe all other games so far have offered refunds, so since it's the same publisher I find it unlikely they would do things differently (but who knows)
I expect there may very well be some internal bickering going on about this as we speak. Based on the initial responses to refunds (YSNet - Speak to the publisher, DS - Speak to the developer), I expect a discussion was never had about who would pay for refunds and the long wait for any proper response from either party suggests that discussions may still be taking place. I suppose it’s entirely possible that they discussed the matter before signing the deal and made a decision together not to offer refunds there and then. Until we hear anything official (assuming we ever do), it’s all just conjecture. Maybe they’re waiting to see if it will all just blow over?

I think/hope they will say something about it - if they don't and choose to ignore it as a non-issue, every update they post on Kickstarter or elsewhere will be filled with angry comments, that can't be good for advertising for a game so close to release.

I think/hope they will say something about it - if they don't and choose to ignore it as a non-issue, every update they post on Kickstarter or elsewhere will be filled with angry comments, that can't be good for advertising for a game so close to release.

Not really. The infantile ragers do not represent the 99%+ majority who don’t care how they start Shenmue III on PC...

Which is why Yu Suzuki-sama and Ys Net were all smiles at E3...

They’ve been around the block and back in the industry and know it’s for the best for them and the saga...

Not really. The infantile ragers do not represent the 99%+ majority who don’t care how they start Shenmue III on PC...

Which is why Yu Suzuki-sama and Ys Net were all smiles at E3...

They’ve been around the block and back in the industry and know it’s for the best for them and the saga...

I'm thinking of painting my shed. What colour should I paint it?

I can't decide between maroon and navy. Here's a couple of pictures for example:

garden-shed-storage-loft-ottawa-sheds-decorative-double-sliding-window-maroon-painting-wall-black-steel-door-support-hardware-brown-roof-tiled-garden-storage-floor.jpg

unnamed-4.jpg

Both would look good in the garden, but the problem is that the fence is brownish so I'm not sure whether I want a muted complementary colour or a starkly opposing one.

I'm thinking of painting my shed. What colour should I paint it?

I can't decide between maroon and navy. Here's a couple of pictures for example:

garden-shed-storage-loft-ottawa-sheds-decorative-double-sliding-window-maroon-painting-wall-black-steel-door-support-hardware-brown-roof-tiled-garden-storage-floor.jpg

unnamed-4.jpg

Both would look good in the garden, but the problem is that the fence is brownish so I'm not sure whether I want a muted complementary colour or a starkly opposing one.

The textures on those sheds looks so flat and plastic. Why couldn't they get the architect of the first shed to create the second shed? I think they should slightly increase the size of the windows and put the door handle on the left door. Why can't they make it look exactly like the sheds from 20 years ago? Why can't they make it look like the sheds in The Last of Us?

I'm not taking sides I just want to ask a question. The PC community is saying what Epic Is doing is anti consumer. Wouldn't anti consumer be like if Epic charged you to use their client in order to play the game? Epic is free to use right? Why does a developer doing what's best for them business wise any consumers business? We are still getting the game at the end of the day.

I do game on the PC just not as much as console.
I do understand everyone's gripe about paying for a physical PC game and now only getting a download code in a box.

Thinking about it now, I'll probably just add the game as a non-steam game to my library. Sure, there won't be achievements. But apart from that, it should function the same. I do have EGS already because they put out a free game every month that if you get, you can keep forever. It's inferior to steam, but it's not that bad.

I'll find a way to get my real physical copy eventually.

Curious to know how many fans who have waited this long for the game will genuinely not play it on the basis of it having to be launched through an epic games client rather than a steam one. Like does the disdain for Epic outweigh the love and want for Shenmue from the real long term franchise fans? I can understand why this move could be a bad hit when looking to bring aboard franchise newcomers with the hate epic games gets but in terms of the die hard fans, how much of a deal is this? I don't play on pc so it's harder to fully appreciate the situation players have been put in but I do know the passion people have for this game.

Curious to know how many fans who have waited this long for the game will genuinely not play it on the basis of it having to be launched through an epic games client rather than a steam one. Like does the disdain for Epic outweigh the love and want for Shenmue from the real long term franchise fans? I can understand why this move could be a bad hit when looking to bring aboard franchise newcomers with the hate epic games gets but in terms of the die hard fans, how much of a deal is this? I don't play on pc so it's harder to fully appreciate the situation players have been put in but I do know the passion people have for this game.

I agree 100%. The newcomers to the Shenmue franchise may be willing to step away because of the Epic vs Steam battle. The dedicated Shenmue community that's been waiting for years 20 years, tweetathon after tweetathon they'll be there day 1.

Well, I just pre-ordered it on Epic Store since I already had an account anyways for when I tried to play Fortnite months ago with some people and have no problem with it. Sucks this debate is dividing us and causing such controversy but I'm still gonna support what is my most requested game as much as I can. Already have the PS4 version ordered as well and will play it through that.

This isn't the topic to discuss the epic v steam debate. Here is

Also console v pc debate. Interesting. Why not set up a new topic for it in general gaming?
It's not about A vs B, it's about Shenmue wasting an opportunity to sell well on a platform that has been growing for years.

@Tosh Having some "casual" gamers playing Shenmue wouldn't have been a bad thing for sales, you know. Casual PC gamers don't even know about EGS, they just open Steam and see new games being advertized.
It's not about being optimistic or acting as the #1 fan who'll be happy anyway because we'll be able to play this game anyway. This is about being realistic and realizing that a big opportunity to let people know about this saga and play it has been wasted.

It's not about A vs B, it's about Shenmue wasting an opportunity to sell well on a platform that has been growing for years.

@Tosh Having some "casual" gamers playing Shenmue wouldn't have been a bad thing for sales, you know. Casual PC gamers don't even know about EGS, they just open Steam and see new games being advertized.
It's not about being optimistic or acting as the #1 fan who'll be happy anyway because we'll be able to play this game anyway. This is about being realistic and realizing that a big opportunity to let people know about this saga and play it has been wasted.

It's not like the game is not going to end up on Steam. We know it's coming down the track. There is always still a chance for it to pick up new people when it does hit Steam or if it does go on sale on the Steam store once it is there.

It's not like the game is not going to end up on Steam. We know it's coming down the track. There is always still a chance for it to pick up new people when it does hit Steam or if it does go on sale on the Steam store once it is there.
Yeah, fine, but I would've been happier to have a big game launch with a chance of good revenue for YS instead of wasting a year for this epic store thing. Seeing people buying the game on launch and knowing your fanbase/customer base is strong would've help accelerating the process for Shenmue 4.

Last edited:

yes, but then again, you cant calculate or include random people who might have bought it on Steam because
they found the product site. maybe it would be a huge thing, maybe not.
that works with games like GTA or Final Fantasy, but not with every game.
the thing is that Epic, YS Net and Deep Silver know this too. its not like we have more inside knowledge than they have.
Deep Silver already released big Epic exclusive games, so they must know in which way it does affect numbers.

and then even if we lose 10, 20, 30 ... whatever % worldwide because of Epic, that doesnt mean that no one will play on PC,
there will be a audience on PC, Steam included or not.
and we still have the worldwide PS4 retail market and for example China has their own PC platform.
so we "sacrificed" a very very loud group of people, but just because they are very loud,
doesnt mean that they are the biggest audience worldwide for this product. they arent.

we can still make Shenmue 3 a success 100% with the Epic and PS4 people.
the only thing that could "backstab" us, is if the game would be full of bugs and unplayable because of horrible performance.
but that is not in our hands.

Yeah, fine, but I would've been happier to have a big game launch with a chance of good revenue for YS instead of wasting a year for this epic store thing. Seeing people buying the game on launch and knowing your fanbase/customer base is strong would've help accelerating the process for Shenmue 4.

Look I'll level with you. Even though I don't really give a shit about any of this EGS drama and I really think it's gone from simple disappointment to just people jumping on a bandwagon with their pre-existing "Fuck Epic" rhetoric. I am still bummed it's not on all platforms.

Given the choice. I would rather take it on Steam over Epic just because Steam is more feature rich. But at the same time, it's not a deal breaker for me. It's more like "eh, different launcher. I see it for two minutes before the game starts...so be it." I mean it doesn't really matter as my initial play through will be on PS4 anyways (I'm going for the Platinum in that game without question)

I'd rather have it on all store fronts. I don't really care for exclusivity. I mean I get it, it's business and they need something to draw people in to checking out their service. I totally get why they're doing it. But I don't really like it either. I'd rather it be on all store fronts day one. Get it in front of as many eyes as you can. I'd rather it be available everywhere to bring in more revenue.

I worry about how this will affect Shenmue IV and it's prospects just as much as the rest of you. I'm hoping that by the time the game is out this will have blown over a bit and people will have calmed down about it. Everything is fleeting in terms of outrage and I'm sure there will be plenty more to be outraged about in between now and the time of release (hopefully it will get them to look away from Shenmue.) But I do definitely worry that it could hurt sales.

There are a lot of petty fuckwits out there with an agenda who are already trying to get people to boycott the game and so that does make me worried about it.

Last edited:
yes, but then again, you cant calculate or include random people who might have bought it on Steam because
they found the product site. maybe it would be a huge thing, maybe not.
that works with games like GTA or Final Fantasy, but not with every game.
the thing is that Epic, YS Net and Deep Silver know this too. its not like we have more inside knowledge than they have.
Deep Silver already released big Epic exclusive games, so they must know in which way it does affect numbers.

and then even if we lose 10, 20, 30 ... whatever % worldwide because of Epic, that doesnt mean that no one will play on PC,
there will be a audience on PC, Steam included or not.
and we still have the worldwide PS4 retail market and for example China has their own PC platform.
so we "sacrificed" a very very loud group of people, but just because they are very loud,
doesnt mean that they are the biggest audience worldwide for this product. they arent.

we can still make Shenmue 3 a success 100% with the Epic and PS4 people.
the only thing that could "backstab" us, is if the game would be full of bugs and unplayable because of horrible performance.
but that is not in our hands.
I hope you're right about this thing not being a great deal for sales, but unfortunately I still believe the damage is quite big. Shenmue needed those random people buying the game, and Steam numbers are IMPRESSIVE.

Back