Steam vs Epic Games

I understand the backlash now towards the whole Epic deal, but really imo we have no other choice but to fully support this decision towards Shenmue 3 whether we like it or not. I'm playing it on PS4 so I'm not affected either way, but I will buy a copy of Shenmue 3 on PC because I know where it's going.

In other words, knowing that Yu Suzuki will get 88% of Shenmue 3's PC sales, and getting licensed tools and tech for the UE means a damn near guarantee for Shenmue IV sooner rather than later.... with grab moves.
88% profit margin, waived licensing fees, and a lot more visibility on the epic store is definitely hard to turn down. I would expect over the next 5 months some of the backlash will lessen.

Hmm, I know and acknowledge that it doesn't work out like this, but Epic Games has 80 million users?

So, if even .5% of their userbase purchases this game (aside from the current backers), we will have 400,000 sales of the game?

Thus, would the game REALLY see that large amount of sales, even on Steam? People associated with it were happy to hit the 1 million mark and we know that we'll probably have 75% of the sales for this game, on the PS4, thus will it truly matter for the series future, if the game was moved over the Epic Games?

Again, I know it isn't that simple, but from a strictly number viewpoint (if the 80 million figure is correct), I don't see how this will hurt the franchise going forward, provided the sales actually turn out that way (and I know they probably won't, but surely DS and co. are better at predictions that you or I).
There are estimated to be 1.2 billion PC gamers and the 80 million figure probably includes a lot of inactive accounts. This massively restricts the potential audience.

It’s akin to only selling the game to people with red hair. Sure, some people will dye their hair so that they can buy it; but most people just won’t bother, because who wants to be a ginger?

I imagine Epic will begin delivering these missing features at some point. They need to.

Yup. Here is the roadmap:

They've already released offline play, and cloud saves look like they should be ready by Shenmue III's release.

In other words, knowing that Yu Suzuki will get 88% of Shenmue 3's PC sales, and getting licensed tools and tech for the UE means a damn near guarantee for Shenmue IV sooner rather than later.... with grab moves.
Deep Silver is going to handle that money before any of it goes to Ys Net. There's no garauntee Shenmue 4 will be funded by anyone currently involved. If Shenmue 3 tanks, why would they throw more money at the series?

Sure but that doesn't mean I have to pander to a troll that's been here for two days.
You've been here one year so whatever credibility you think you have is probably misguided. This account is two days old. This person has been a fan for 19 years.

I didn't choose this deal. The trolls are Ys Net, Deep Silver and Epic games. I contributed my money in the kickstarter and waited as long as it took for the game to be complete. I don't want this outcome, this backlash doesn't amuse me or please me. I just want my game on Steam like I requested in the email.

My plan was to keep my kickstarter disc and buy a separate copy on Steam. That is no longer an option now. My disc will be a fucking code, and it won't be for sale on Steam. Same goes for PS4. I would have bought 4 copies in total of this game.

Too many quotes to post to jump in with here but seems some people are talking about how Epic is "buying exclusives" and "stifling competition by throwing their money around".

I gotta say you all do know that this happens on the time with consoles right? Timed and absolute exclusives on PS4 and Xbox? And here were talking about a different launcher, not a different platform you have pay for?

Too many quotes to post to jump in with here but seems some people are talking about how Epic is "buying exclusives" and "stifling competition by throwing their money around".

I gotta say you all do know that this happens on the time with consoles right? Timed and absolute exclusives on PS4 and Xbox? And here were talking about a different launcher, not a different platform you have pay for?
It sure does, but it usually happens before people have spent their money.

I understand the backlash now towards the whole Epic deal, but really imo we have no other choice but to fully support this decision towards Shenmue 3 whether we like it or not. I'm playing it on PS4 so I'm not affected either way, but I will buy a copy of Shenmue 3 on PC because I know where it's going.

Oh man I really hope you're right.

I understand YS Net will likely just be earning profit with retail sales from here onwards with all development costs likely paid off by now. I just hope he's still motivated to make the fourth game and knows that the majority of Shenmue Dojo & 500K are on his side and wanting this to happen. Really hope the backlash hasn't dampened his spirits, though I suspect if a Shenmue IV is made it might just be the last one now, which I'd actually be fine with.

Anyway, enough of my anxieties. Continue the EPIC vs Steam discussion (God, I never want to hear the word 'EPIC' ever again after this week).

Even though I am mainly a console gamer I did pledge to the physical PC tier also. So to find out that the physical version is a case with a code is really bad. I am willing to take this on the chin but I can't in good conscious condemn the PC community for speaking out. I hope Shenmue 3 is able to sell well enough to get full funding from a developer because I don't think Kickstarter will work again. A lot of bridges have been burned.

Even though I am mainly a console gamer I did pledge to the physical PC tier also. So to find out that the physical version is a case with a code is really bad. I am willing to take this on the chin but I can't in good conscious condemn the PC community for speaking out. I hope Shenmue 3 is able to sell well enough to get full funding from a developer because I don't think Kickstarter will work again. A lot of bridges have been burned.

Kickstarter can work again if they do the right thing. At this point, YsNet or Deep Silver not giving both EGS and Steam key is out of pure greed. Yes, I'm saying it, pure greed. It cost them litterally 0 dollar to produce Steam keys. Phoenix Point did the same too.

Daily reminder that it's not "just another launcher".

Thank god 99%+ of casual gaming folks don't care where they download Shenmue III...

The folks supporting steam don't even know what they support...

Unless they love supporting virtual monopolies that pay developers less, support developers less, and ultimately raise the cost of games for all...

Disinformation is real folks...

Last edited:
Thank god 99%+ of casual gaming folks don't care where they download Shenmue III...

Unless they love supporting virtual monopolies that pay developers less, support developers less, and ultimately raise the cost of games for all...
Thank god 99%+ of people on this forum have no interest in your misguided opinions and obvious attempts to wind them up.

im.jpg

Don't worry: 99%+ of casual gaming folks don't care about Shenmue. This is why the "folks supporting Steam" had to foot the bill with many others to support a game no one wanted to support before.

You guys say epic is anti consumer. Fine, but so is steam as well. I find it horrendous from a console games Point of view that are companies out there like valve that force you to install their Service on your pc to play the games. The valve People are in total controll of my Content because I am always connected to their "eyes". This one of many reasons why I hate digital only stuff.

In the console space we are almost there yet too unfortnately, but still at least on the ps4 you can play your games offline, minus the Patches of Course. But it is still possible to some degree to play ofline. In next gen not anymore I am afraid

So in fact I can understand you guys. I distrust steam for the same reasons why you distrust Epic. Sort of.

Bu I would not call Services like steam, where you have absolutely no controll of your Content as consumer friendly.

Unless you consider the extra Features steam offfers as consumer friendly. I have other priorties. I want to play my games always, nontheless if my modem is working or not.

You guys say epic is anti consumer. Fine, but so is steam as well. I find it horrendous from a console games Point of view that are companies out there like valve that force you to install their Service on your pc to play the games. The valve People are in total controll of my Content because I am always connected to their "eyes". This one of many reasons why I hate digital only stuff.

In the console space we are almost there yet too unfortnately, but still at least on the ps4 you can play your games offline, minus the Patches of Course. But it is still possible to some degree to play ofline. In next gen not anymore I am afraid

So in fact I can understand you guys. I distrust steam for the same reasons why you distrust Epic. Sort of.

Bu I would not call Services like steam, where you have absolutely no controll of your Content as consumer friendly.

Unless you consider the extra Features steam offfers as consumer friendly. I have other priorties. I want to play my games always, nontheless if my modem is working or not.

You know you can play your Steam games offline ? You don't need to be online to play them. I have a handheld that's is 99% of the time offline to play my Steam games. Your game wont ask you to be back online to play it nor require to reactivate it after a few months. I used to have a laptop for my Steam games that hasn't been online for like 3 years (the wifi antenna was dead, so I downloaded the games elsewhere and put it on a USB stick).

You're not "always connected to their eyes". But I don't mind it, becuase as you said, "from a console games point of view". It's something you never used.

Your distrust is based on ignorance. My distrust is based on facts.

Don't worry: 99%+ of casual gaming folks don't care about Shenmue. This is why the "folks supporting Steam" had to foot the bill with many others to support a game no one wanted to support before.

Go to know you support unfair pay and support for Ys Net and the Shenmue saga. At least your agenda is clear. (y)

Back