~ Road to CyberPunk 2077 Thread ~

Man this "GANGBUSTER" of 2020 is getting dragged through the dirt all across the gaming landscape. Next time, CDPR should just pull a Rockstar and push marketing only a few months before launch after perfecting it as much as possible. I think the No-man sky's level of hype and Covid pandemic threw a big wrench into their plans. I hope they don't lose too much heart over the poor receptions.

Man this "GANGBUSTER" of 2020 is getting dragged through the dirt all across the gaming landscape. Next time, CDPR should just pull a Rockstar and push marketing only a few months before launch after perfecting it as much as possible. I think the No-man sky's level of hype and Covid pandemic threw a big wrench into their plans. I hope they don't lose too much heart over the poor receptions.
I have to agree with that.
Its so simple, but so truthfull. The higher the expectations, the higher the disapointment.

I'm gonna be completely honest. They should have delayed to next year or scrapped the current gen versions and just focused on PC and Next Gen. Looking at the shit going on with the current gen versions, this game is literally exhausting the available RAM of those consoles and hence the game is breaking at the seams. Hence most of the issues you're seeing with those version. The game is literally breaking on those consoles because they simply can't keep up. Maybe that's the point they should have just said "screw it, next gen and PC only. We just can't get the most out of these consoles."

Or focus more on optimizing those current gen versions to get them running to their best capacity. I understand why they needed current gen versions. The install base alone justifies the need for PS4 and Xbox One versions. But it's clear the game is just simply breaking those consoles and not enough effort was put in to optimize around those consoles. So maybe they should have just delayed it another year and abandoned current gen versions. Sure, they would have ate shit, but hey, they're eating shit now anyways.

But honestly, everything about this game is a gross product of over hype. I'm glad I didn't buy into it because from what I've played? It's largely cookie cutter. I don't think it's a terrible game...just a wildly mediocre one from what I've played thus far.

What a shit show. In their rush to get it out for Xmas 2020 to make money, it comes back to bite them in their ass.

Why is this happening more and more? I feel like we get one of these stories every other month now. Where some game comes out either under delivering or in this case a buggy mess and everyone just loses their shit. Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing CD Project Red but I do look at this industry and think "is it time to scale down and stop trying to outdo themselves?"

I've been thinking about it. 8 years to develop this game and I can't see one new interesting thing about it outside of its cool setting. In contrast, Shenmue III, a game that we all expected to at least be a buggy mess given the budget and what not, took 4 years to develop and despite its flaws (it has them) is largely solid. It wasn't the buggy mess I feared it may have been and actually worked mostly okay. I'm not talking about its flaws, I'm talking about general build and performance.

Yet here we have a game that took 8 years to develop and promised all these amazing things and yet the end product is a buggy mess that feels like it needed more time in the cooker.

I get game development is rough and I understand CD Project Red had a much bigger task on their hands than YS Net did (they were working with at least 6 different versions of the game across all current platforms its released on...not to mention next gen) but I don't know. I feel like the grand scope of this simply got away from them and it just makes me wonder...is it time for games to narrow their scope a little and stop trying to reach as big as they are?

I feel like open world games in general have gotten too samey, too concerned with filling the map with size over quality and filling out their maps with meaningless check lists instead of finding interesting things to do with said worlds. But I feel something is completely lost in 90% of open world games and that is the sense of discovery. I was playing Spiderman Miles Morales earlier and I got to thinking that I haven't once stopped to look at the city. All I've done is pretty much gone objective to objective collecting another random checklist collectable. Sure, it's not the largest open world but it still feels sterile to me and just feels like another excuse of a setting to be littered with random shit to collect or do and then forgotten about just as quickly as it came.

I can't stress just how much Cyberpunk strikes me as just another open world game in the mold of the other open world games out there this gen. Yes, the setting and aesthetics are nice and all but the gameplay is so samey to everything else out there. It's not a bad game by any means (performance aside) but given the wild promises it made, it's so wildly mediocre. And as such the backlash was only inevitable. It's why I never bought into the hype for it. Because I was afraid it was setting itself up for disappointment. When people started bigging this up in the same way they were bigging up No Man's Sky at launch, that's kinda of when I knew the game could never deliver and was set for disappointment.

I kinda wish game devs would narrow down and stop over promising. I really feel like game devs need to take another look and refocus a little. Maybe focus less on size and scope and actually start refocusing on core gameplay ideas that you want to explore instead of creating a large world and then having to fill it out?

But hey, this is what the general market wants so they're gonna cater to the general market and give them more of the same. But I personally believe something is lost in modern game development and projects like this are a perfect example of how an idea got lost over the course of 8 years. It just feels entirely like a game that had wild ideas but got completely lost in the execution and ultimately just became another open world game. At least to me.

People can laugh at The Last Guardian and its long development time, but poor frame rate on the PS4 base aside, at least that game did deliver what it promised to deliver upon release and did it mostly well. I look at Cyberpunk and think somewhere in here is a wildly ambitious game that was too big for its own scope and got completely lost in the 8 years of development. Or they were willingly lying and over selling. It's why I never bought into the hype because I was always afraid this would happen. The game would come out and not deliver on that hype. Or worse, be a buggy mess reminiscent of The Witcher 3 at release and get wildly criticized for it.

Last edited:
I feel like open world games in general have gotten too samey, too concerned with filling the map with size over quality and filling out their maps with meaningless check lists instead of finding interesting things to do with said worlds. But I feel something is completely lost in 90% of open world games and that is the sense of discovery. I was playing Spiderman Miles Morales earlier and I got to thinking that I haven't once stopped to look at the city. All I've done is pretty much gone objective to objective collecting another random checklist collectable. Sure, it's not the largest open world but it still feels sterile to me and just feels like another excuse of a setting to be littered with random shit to collect or do and then forgotten about just as quickly as it came.
I couldn't get enough of Manhattan in the first game. I bought and played all the dlc all at once, which is something I've never done with any game. I spent a lot of time enjoying the sunsets and taking hundreds of screenshots. It was a beautiful game and it was impressive on street level all the way up to rooftops. I haven't played Miles Morales yet but when I finished the first game from 2018 this year, I thought it would be fair to re-use the city because it's so vast and there's so much space unutilized that they can focus on other areas in another game.

As to the rest of your comment, gaming right now is so vast and diverse it's not accurate to attribute AAA blockbuster games like Cyberpunk to everything else that is being released. Tsushima released this year and it was excellent and full of detail and care. It also depends on how committed you are to 100% a game. I did reach moments of repetition in Tsushima, but that's because I loved the game and felt compelled to do everything. As development becomes more costly, it's probably appropriate to take a step back and for developers to re-imagine what kind of games they went to deliver. There's a market for smaller, more focused games and hopefully someone in the AAA space will take advantage of that and test it out. I know there were complaints of TLoU2 being too damn long at 30 hours, and where I'm at in gaming right now, 30 hours is daunting for me. I do prefer shorter games.

I think Cyberpunk looks interesting but I have no problem holding out until it's fixed and gets a price drop. There's so many other great games being released regularly that I think buying a game day one and playing it the first week is kind of silly. When you're playing a single player game, it's not a competition to be the first to get it and the first to play it. Gaming is something you do at your own leisure.

It seems like cdpr did a lot of lying, including withholding console review codes and controlling what reviewers could show for the pc version reviews. It's really fucked up what they did and it needs to be talked about. I think it would have been nice if outlets said "cdpr isn't allowing us to show our own footage, so we will withhold our reviews until that embargo ends" but alas, they all went along with it anyway.

I honestly didn't expect PlayStation to make such an integrity-based move, yet they did and it's a great way to set the standard with companies that pull this kind of crap. I really hope that Xbox and the PC stores follow and pull this game down. There's no way a business should do business with their business partners when they screw the customer over and then they have to clean up the mess by issuing refunds and having unhappy people buying this game expecting it to be good and not broken and then coming back to the store who hosts the product then reflecting poorly on the host and having an issue with the console manufacturer. This is a bold move and one of the best I've seen in the industry in a very very long time. Kudos to Sony for acting in integrity for once.

I couldn't get enough of Manhattan in the first game. I bought and played all the dlc all at once, which is something I've never done with any game. I spent a lot of time enjoying the sunsets and taking hundreds of screenshots. It was a beautiful game and it was impressive on street level all the way up to rooftops. I haven't played Miles Morales yet but when I finished the first game from 2018 this year, I thought it would be fair to re-use the city because it's so vast and there's so much space unutilized that they can focus on other areas in another game.

As to the rest of your comment, gaming right now is so vast and diverse it's not accurate to attribute AAA blockbuster games like Cyberpunk to everything else that is being released. Tsushima released this year and it was excellent and full of detail and care. It also depends on how committed you are to 100% a game. I did reach moments of repetition in Tsushima, but that's because I loved the game and felt compelled to do everything. As development becomes more costly, it's probably appropriate to take a step back and for developers to re-imagine what kind of games they went to deliver. There's a market for smaller, more focused games and hopefully someone in the AAA space will take advantage of that and test it out. I know there were complaints of TLoU2 being too damn long at 30 hours, and where I'm at in gaming right now, 30 hours is daunting for me. I do prefer shorter games.
I'll largely agree with Tsushima. There were things about Tsushima that I quite enjoyed. I.e the guiding wind system. It was a good attempt to bring a sense of discovery back to games. Hence why it's in my #2 spot for GOTY list.

I just feel like I want developers to embrace smaller but more densely packed maps. Maybe then that would allow them to explore potential gameplay ideas instead of crafting a massive world and then having to fill it with check list stuff. I want open world games to embrace smaller and more densely packed worlds and focus on evolving gameplay within those worlds.

Granted, Cyberpunk isn't a massive open world, but the game still feels lost and muddled to me. It can't decide if it wants to be an RPG or GTA. That's my main disappointment with it right now. It seems like there is a more ambitious game within waiting to get out but got muddled along the way.

😂 if they released this trailer they would've been ok in regards to committing fraud. There's no denying that CyberPunk will lose its appeal after they patch all the bugs. The bugs are the only entertaining part of an otherwise subpar gaming experience.

What a shit show. In their rush to get it out for Xmas 2020 to make money, it comes back to bite them in their ass.

Why is this happening more and more? I feel like we get one of these stories every other month now. Where some game comes out either under delivering or in this case a buggy mess and everyone just loses their shit. Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing CD Project Red but I do look at this industry and think "is it time to scale down and stop trying to outdo themselves?"

I've been thinking about it. 8 years to develop this game and I can't see one new interesting thing about it outside of its cool setting. In contrast, Shenmue III, a game that we all expected to at least be a buggy mess given the budget and what not, took 4 years to develop and despite its flaws (it has them) is largely solid. It wasn't the buggy mess I feared it may have been and actually worked mostly okay. I'm not talking about its flaws, I'm talking about general build and performance.

Yet here we have a game that took 8 years to develop and promised all these amazing things and yet the end product is a buggy mess that feels like it needed more time in the cooker.

I get game development is rough and I understand CD Project Red had a much bigger task on their hands than YS Net did (they were working with at least 6 different versions of the game across all current platforms its released on...not to mention next gen) but I don't know. I feel like the grand scope of this simply got away from them and it just makes me wonder...is it time for games to narrow their scope a little and stop trying to reach as big as they are?

I can't stress just how much Cyberpunk strikes me as just another open world game in the mold of the other open world games out there this gen. Yes, the setting and aesthetics are nice and all but the gameplay is so samey to everything else out there. It's not a bad game by any means (performance aside) but given the wild promises it made, it's so wildly mediocre. And as such the backlash was only inevitable. It's why I never bought into the hype for it. Because I was afraid it was setting itself up for disappointment. When people started bigging this up in the same way they were bigging up No Man's Sky at launch, that's kinda of when I knew the game could never deliver and was set for disappointment.

I kinda wish game devs would narrow down and stop over promising. I really feel like game devs need to take another look and refocus a little. Maybe focus less on size and scope and actually start refocusing on core gameplay ideas that you want to explore instead of creating a large world and then having to fill it out?

But hey, this is what the general market wants so they're gonna cater to the general market and give them more of the same. But I personally believe something is lost in modern game development and projects like this are a perfect example of how an idea got lost over the course of 8 years. It just feels entirely like a game that had wild ideas but got completely lost in the execution and ultimately just became another open world game. At least to me.

People can laugh at The Last Guardian and its long development time, but poor frame rate on the PS4 base aside, at least that game did deliver what it promised to deliver upon release and did it mostly well. I look at Cyberpunk and think somewhere in here is a wildly ambitious game that was too big for its own scope and got completely lost in the 8 years of development. Or they were willingly lying and over selling. It's why I never bought into the hype because I was always afraid this would happen. The game would come out and not deliver on that hype. Or worse, be a buggy mess reminiscent of The Witcher 3 at release and get wildly criticized for it.
I couldn't have said it any better. Sadly, I feel this applies to 95% of video games in general. They're treated as big as music and cinema yet they typically can never deliver an amazingly deep *and* meaningful experience. That's why Shenmue was truly magical upon release, it was not only cutting edge for starting the open world genre, but also the energy behind the story and it's creation. Same reason I felt Ghost of Tsushima was the best new game franchise since Shenmue 1. It did something entirely different and proved that open world games can be amazing. While not riddled in depth, GTA 5 is amazing too as an open world game and as a social commentary of modern times. All the GTA games were ahead of their time(even 4, which was the least appealing). All of these open world GTA clone crime games, zombie games, knights/vikings/European war history based games are mostly all sterile and rehash. AC Valhalla was trash too and under a better studio like Sucker Punch it could have been great. CyberPunk had hella potential but is less than mediocre in every way outside of the basic premise of the dystopian future. *Sigh* in the last 20 years since Shenmue release I haven't found anything to hold a candle to it, even Ghost as amazing as it is.

I dont have any special inside knowledge but it wouldnt surprise me at all
if this game version was not in development for 8 years.
Sure, they worked on something for 8 years but i doubt that they worked
for 8 years on this final product.

Its the same thing when people say that Nioh was in development for 13 years or whatever,
so it took them 13 years to make the final product. Thats not true.
They stopped the development completely three times and then made the final version
from scratch in about 4 years.

The thing with Nioh is, it makes sense because they also changed the development team three times
(all owned by Koei Tecmo)
so every team made its completely own thing that had nothing to do with the old version.
Cyberpunk 2077 was always a CD Projekt Red game
so this project was probably just way too ambitious right from the start
and they had to remove / change things one by one again and again
until it came down to the typical open world design because thats a formula that works
and then they put their main story and their old but too ambitious ideas in that open world in a scaled down version.
You know like kind of four different small construction sites but all of them together stacked atop each other
are a really big construction site but they only had 3 years or so to make it work.

Sure, someone like Rockstar Games can work on something for 6, 7, 8 years
and the outcome will probably convince most people
but Rockstar Games has the money safe from Dagobert Duck.
These guys are okay with spending like 500+ mil USD on one game.
Cyberpunks budget was probably around 70-120 mil USD,
so if we take the lowest amount, thats only about 30 mil USD more than the game Kingdom Come Deliverance.
This will create a lot of problems when your main idea is already too big
and you dont have a top tier development team.
Then take some stubborn heads of the market share or the publisher or whatever into that pool
who insist on the old idea in some form at all costs and now you are in a fine mess.

If we look at the original stuff that they talked about at some point like your own way is so important,
every life path is so important and unique, hand crafted NPC routines, VR features, side activities,
adult themes, unique story decisions, optional stories, gangs, customize everything, explore every street corner ...
it all comes down to too much content for this team and this budget in this time frame.

And of course the typical over hype but thats not just a problem created by the studios.
Gamers, the press and influencers are a part of this problem too.
Hype creates likes, clicks, news, stuff that the press and influencers need for their jobs
and gamers love to hear about the next big hype project and they will never learn.
They always think that the loudest and biggest PR campaign means that this will be the best product ever.

Saw that earlier today. Sadly it doesn't contain the dick out glitch.

This is quite remarkable. I didn't think they'd do it but here we are. Wow. Sony did the right thing. From what I've seen, XBOX One version performs even worse than PS4 version, so will be interesting to see if MS makes a move.
I think Sony are also pissed that CDPR threw them under the bus a bit by saying that people should contact Sony about refunds despite than not being Sony's typical stance. Going to be such a headache for Sony to issue refunds when they have to distinguish between those with legit claims and others seeking refunds after completing the game or deciding it's not for them.

I dont have any special inside knowledge but it wouldnt surprise me at all
if this game version was not in development for 8 years.
Sure, they worked on something for 8 years but i doubt that they worked
for 8 years on this final product.

Its the same thing when people say that Nioh was in development for 13 years or whatever,
so it took them 13 years to make the final product. Thats not true.
They stopped the development completely three times and then made the final version
from scratch in about 4 years.

The thing with Nioh is, it makes sense because they also changed the development team three times
(all owned by Koei Tecmo)
so every team made its completely own thing that had nothing to do with the old version.
Cyberpunk 2077 was always a CD Projekt Red game
so this project was probably just way too ambitious right from the start
and they had to remove / change things one by one again and again
until it came down to the typical open world design because thats a formula that works
and then they put their main story and their old but too ambitious ideas in that open world in a scaled down version.
You know like kind of four different small construction sites but all of them together stacked atop each other
are a really big construction site but they only had 3 years or so to make it work.

Sure, someone like Rockstar Games can work on something for 6, 7, 8 years
and the outcome will probably convince most people
but Rockstar Games has the money safe from Dagobert Duck.
These guys are okay with spending like 500+ mil USD on one game.
Cyberpunks budget was probably around 70-120 mil USD,
so if we take the lowest amount, thats only about 30 mil USD more than the game Kingdom Come Deliverance.
This will create a lot of problems when your main idea is already too big
and you dont have a top tier development team.
Then take some stubborn heads of the market share or the publisher or whatever into that pool
who insist on the old idea in some form at all costs and now you are in a fine mess.

If we look at the original stuff that they talked about at some point like your own way is so important,
every life path is so important and unique, hand crafted NPC routines, VR features, side activities,
adult themes, unique story decisions, optional stories, gangs, customize everything, explore every street corner ...
it all comes down to too much content for this team and this budget in this time frame.

And of course the typical over hype but thats not just a problem created by the studios.
Gamers, the press and influencers are a part of this problem too.
Hype creates likes, clicks, news, stuff that the press and influencers need for their jobs
and gamers love to hear about the next big hype project and they will never learn.

I hear you. I would argue the same about Team ICO and TLG whenever Colin Moriarty would ramble on about why it took so long for Team ICO to develop one game while Naughty Dog delivered 4 games in one generation. I would argue there were other factors such as Ueda leaving Sony in 2011 leaving the project to halt before restarting once it was moved to PlayStation 4. Realistically that game probably took about 4 or 5 years in total to develop but there were roadblocks that stood in the way that unfortunately stretched it out.

I forgot Nioh even took that long.

As for Cyberpunk? I'm willing to guess it probably was 5 to 6 years in actual production not counting pre-production. I'm with you that the game screams too ambitious for its own good and that's why I never bought into the hype. What they were promising just seemed too good to be true.

I mean to some degree Yu Suzuki is also guilty of this. I remember getting excited at the idea of the Affinity System in Shenmue III with the way Yu was talking about it and how it sounded like it was going to affect your status in Bailu. It was kind of there in Shenmue III or at least there were traces of it in the way you interacted with Shenhua but it didn't have much effect on anything else in the town. It was just more so you could skip the conversations and be woken up by your watch instead of being woken up by Shenhua of a morning.

I think that's my problem though. I'm kind of getting sick of the false promises and when people can't deliver they end up inevitably invoking the wrath of the playerbase they either unwittingly or knowingly deceived. And this isn't anything new, game devs have been doing this for a long time now (Milo, anyone? Or just Kinnect in general)

I just get tired of the gross over promises and I do sometimes wonder if the massive scope is harming ideas more than anything else? This need to build bigger worlds while maybe taking away from core gameplay ideas is maybe detrimental in the long run and the backlash involved gets really annoying when devs over promise and can't deliver. I think I want gaming to evolve in other ways instead of just evolving in scope and size and abandoning ideas for the sake of something being too ambitious and could not complete.

Like I said, I don't want this to sound like I'm just hating for the sake of hating. I don't really hate Cyberpunk, but from the little I've played, I'm just glad I didn't buy into the hype surrounding it. It really does seem muddled with what it wants to be. To me, it can't decide if it wants to be an RPG or a GTA style open world game.

If I had to put a number on it after the 10 hours I've now played? Probably swimming in 7's.

Last edited:
As people have pointed out here before, it is ultimately us consumers who can change things and who are also at least in part to blame for why the industry is as it is.

My main takeaway from games like Cyberpunk, Mass Effect Andromeda, No Man's Sky and so on is to be aware of the hype culture.

Don't preorder games, don't blindly buy on day one. Wait for reviews to come out, there's also always some guy who has video footage of a game up on Youtube or some other social media network.

This whole preorder and day one culture has to stop. It is the main why companies hype up games and overpromise.

As people have pointed out here before, it is ultimately us consumers who can change things and who are also at least in part to blame for why the industry is as it is.

My main takeaway from games like Cyberpunk, Mass Effect Andromeda, No Man's Sky and so on is to be aware of the hype culture.

Don't preorder games, don't blindly buy on day one. Wait for reviews to come out, there's also always some guy who has video footage of a game up on Youtube or some other social media network.

This whole preorder and day one culture has to stop. It is the main why companies hype up games and overpromise.

While I agree in general, the bold is not something that should be adhered to, IMO.

I'm pre-ordering every single RGG title, the moment they open. I'm pre-ordering anything Shenmue, the moment it becomes available. Etc.

For a game you are looking to get into, I agree to wait until the dust settles, but if you've been following something religiously since day one and/or have an emotional/monetary investment into the project (of which 99.9% of gamers don't), I don't see why pre-ordering something is out of the question; you're a fan and you'll buy it.

But yes, again, for the casuals or people that don't get emotionally-invested into these games, pre-ordering is dumb. Companies SHOULD have disclaimers, stating that there will be multiple patches/updates, before there is a finished project; had CDPR (or whatever the acronym is) done that from the beginning, they would've had a leg to stand on, legally and people would go in, knowing what to expect, to an extent.

Sure, it would have looked a bit bad on them, but their integrity wouldn't have been called into question and their reputation wouldn't have taken as much of a hit.

Back