~ Road to CyberPunk 2077 Thread ~

Thing is, many open world games release just fine without near as many bugs. Breath of the Wild, Red Dead Redemption 2, and as boring as it is, Death Stranding at least works as intended. None of these took anywhere near as long to develop, and at the same time most weren’t promised years before they even started actual development nor had crazy high ambitions that weren’t met(well, ignoring bs claims of “open air” and “strand” being new genres).

I have not followed the development so I was not hyped at all. And that is maybe why I am not disappointed Do not like open world games anyway, they are boring as hell. Red Dead Redemption 2, Death Stranding, The Witcher 3 and many others never could finish them because I was sos bored. Cyberpunk is ok. The setting is nice and I like it on the ps5. But is not revolutionary by any means. If the devs had promised something revolutionary they failed.

I feel sorry for the people that fell for the hype but maybe they should learn something from that and do not fell for the hype anymore.

Not comparing at all because I've never played either, but if Final Fantasy whatever MMO can remake within life cycle and become one of the best FF games, then Cyberpunk should have a long life and chance to fix themselves for PS4/XBO, no?

Also hearing Witcher 3 didn't have a great launch, although I presume much less severe.

Hype is all in your head. We all anticipated this game because of the Witcher III and what they showed early on. It wasn't a game where before release there were constant adverts and the publishers showing it off. Same way Rockstar can announce a new GTA, show nothing at all but still have people commenting on the hype surrounding it.

Buggy game yes, but it's playable. All this talk about CDPR not being able to recover and this being one of the worst releases in history is so overblown it's laughable. Reminds me of all the people jumping on the bandwagon to curse out Shenmue despite never playing it or having any interest in it.

I see your point but I think it's fair to call its launch one of the biggest failures in recent history. Sony kicking a major title out of their storefront for both their consoles during Christmas Season while also offering full refunds to anyone who bought the game is unprecedented as far as I know. And pretty massive for both CDPR and Sony.

Yes, all the trash talk against the game is exaggerated as fuck but that's how the internet works and CDPR knew that before.

Despite the PR mess they've shipped 13million copies worldwide.

Apparently this includes the losses of the refunds issued across physical and digital outlets.

I wonder what it was before refunds, but from a financial standpoint it's made money despite the very badly handled launch.

Those 8 million preorders were probably more than enough to break even. We can only imagine what this game could have done without the disastrous launch.

Those 8 million preorders were probably more than enough to break even. We can only imagine what this game could have done without the disastrous launch.
I think I read somewhere they broke even on day 1 of sales, so that sounds about right.

Who knows, most firms would be happy with 13m sold for a game. Apparently Witcher 3 had done 40m sales as of June 2019. So I could see Cyberpunk, eventually, breaking 25m sales despite its launch.

There’s still a difference between shipped to stores and actually sold to consumers...they could just be sitting on store shelves. But even then, sales are only ever a good indication of hype rather than quality.
Oh for sure, I agree. I'm not in a position to judge the game yet as I've played an hour of it but what I've played didnt seem anything new.

All comes down to individual tastes.

Not comparing at all because I've never played either, but if Final Fantasy whatever MMO can remake within life cycle and become one of the best FF games, then Cyberpunk should have a long life and chance to fix themselves for PS4/XBO, no?

Also hearing Witcher 3 didn't have a great launch, although I presume much less severe.
The thing with Witcher 3 is that by the time Witcher 3 came out, the Xbox One and PS4 were up to date too.
So CD Projekt Red were able to optimize it bit by bit from okay ish to good.
They didnt have to start at a horrible state, the game wasnt way too much to handle for the old consoles.
They 'just' had to tweak bits and pieces here and there to get to a decent result.

Now Cyberpunk on PS4 / Xbox One vs PC is pretty much a different release
in terms of vision quality. It is impossible to bring those features on the base consoles
and CD Projekt Red is already on the lowest settings possible,
like low low PC settings + a dynamic resolution that goes down to 720p or even less
and it still cant even keep 30 fps. We are talking about drops down to 12-19 fps a lot of times.
This is not something you can magically optimize and suddenly you have a 1080p resolution
and stable 30 fps. I dont see that much hope for base consoles when the starting point is already
that low and yet it still performs horribly.

Hype is all in your head. We all anticipated this game because of the Witcher III and what they showed early on. It wasn't a game where before release there were constant adverts and the publishers showing it off. Same way Rockstar can announce a new GTA, show nothing at all but still have people commenting on the hype surrounding it.

Buggy game yes, but it's playable. All this talk about CDPR not being able to recover and this being one of the worst releases in history is so overblown it's laughable. Reminds me of all the people jumping on the bandwagon to curse out Shenmue despite never playing it or having any interest in it.
it’s not laughable or hyperbolic. they released a fundamentally broken game and tried to sell it for full retail price. It’s great they’re doing refunds, but the company should never live this moment down. I’m sure they were under extreme financial pressure to release a game where they couldn’t even get their logo to show up on gift cards and on their website, but businesses that rip off consumers never get any credit from me.

I’m sure they’re not gonna go out of business, but you’re kidding if you think this isn’t going to hurt them for a long time. Who’s gonna hype up their next game? This is the kind of stuff that killed Bioware’s reputation.

Last edited:
it’s not laughable or hyperbolic. they released a fundamentally broken game and tried to sell it for full retail price. It’s great they’re doing refunds, but the company should never live this moment down. I’m sure they were under extreme financial pressure to release a game where they couldn’t even get their logo to show up on gift cards and on their website, but businesses that rip off consumers never get any credit from me.

I’m sure they’re not gonna go out of business, but you’re kidding if you think this isn’t going to hurt them for a long time. Who’s gonna hype up their next game? This is the kind of stuff that killed Bioware’s reputation.
What killed BioWare was EA and releasing mediocre games. Anthem was mediocre and so was Andromeda. For the most part, critics are praising Cyberpunk outside the PS4 and Xbox One versions.

Back to the question. Of course it's going to have some impact, but people saying that they are ruined or won't be able to recover is laughable. This is how things are going to play out.

1. Come February, the game will be largely fixed across all platforms.
  2. Some more grovelling will see CDPR give a bunch of DLC for free and promise more going forward.
  3. Half way through the year, next-gen update is released and people start raving about how good it looks.
  4. End of the year, multiplayer is released and, despite the bungled launch, CDPR continues to laugh itself to the bank.
  5. A few years later, The Witcher 4 is announced, people go crazy and CDPR double down on releasing an ambitious and working game.
  6. Game releases to critical acclaim, sells a tonne and no one gives a damn about the Cyberpunk launch.

All the glitches im seeing seem to be a lot with NPCs. Hire Yu Suzuki as producer for the fixes and then fund a bit toward Shenmue 4!

Show your love for Shenmue and Yu more than a tweet :D
You know, I was kind of hoping that Yu Suzuki would be included in the game just like Kojima was, especially considering the pictures he had taken with the cyberpunk bike and receiving a gift from CDPR. Having said that, I can also imagine him turning down such an offer. Plus Kojima's inclusion was probably part of the Death Stranding crossover.

Last edited:
The louder the internet outrage the less long term effect it has. Some human beings just love the negativity. They enjoy conflict to a certain degree.

Just look at the Last of US 2 outrage. It did not change anything. The game still sold quite well.

Cyberpunk also had 13.000 sales despite all in the odds in a short time which is impressive.

If CD Project Red manages it to improve the game in a steady stream soon the negativity will be forgotten.

Normally the hobby internet mob has a very bad long term memory. They tend to forget their old target as soon something new happens that it is worth being outraged about.

The Game has some good points besides the bugs. If they remove the bugs it is going to be a good game. Not a master piece (at least not according to my taste) but a good game. It is even quite enjoyable for a open world game hater like myself.

ps: Speaking of Bugs. Has somebody else troubles downloading the latest 1.06 patch from the playstation store? I play on PS5 so maybe it is just a ps5 issue but I am still curious.

Last edited:
In the case of LoU2, it didn’t change anything because Druckmann is still a huge pos who can’t take any criticism. Still an awful game and I highly doubt anyone will line up to buy a third game now. All it got were awards from fellow fart sniffing auteurs.

The louder the internet outrage the less long term effect it has. Some human beings just love the negativity. They enjoy conflict to a certain degree.

Just look at the Last of US 2 outrage. It did not change anything. The game still sold quite well.

Cyberpunk also had 13.000 sales despite all in the odds in a short time which is impressive.

If CD Project Red manages it to improve the game in a steady stream soon the negativity will be forgotten.

Normally the hobby internet mob has a very bad long term memory. They tend to forget their old target as soon something new happens that it is worth being outraged about.

The Game has some good points besides the bugs. If they remove the bugs it is going to be a good game. Not a master piece (at least not according to my taste) but a good game. It is even quite enjoyable for a open world game hater like myself.

ps: Speaking of Bugs. Has somebody else troubles downloading the latest 1.06 patch from the playstation store? I play on PS5 so maybe it is just a ps5 issue but I am still curious.
They released a nearly unplayable version for two consoles, dude, and like you said, the game isn’t half of what was promised anyway. I’m sure they’ll iron out the bugs, but they really messed up and I think it’s silly to act like it’s no big deal. These huge companies are selling garbage to consumers and then apologizing months later with a bunch of unnecessary patches. CDPR’s definitely lost its status in my eyes. I would be very reluctant to get excited about their next release.

Like I said: this is what started going on with BioWare. Last of Us got shit for its storyline. There’s no comparison. I don’t think this is just your typical Resetera-driven outrage mob story.

Say what you will about something like Shenmue 3, but at least the team didn’t release a broken game. I’m sure CDPROJEKTRED didn’t intend to release a bad game, but they did and they should be criticized.

But you'll buy their next game if (or I guess when) it's good, which is fair and what the vast majority of people will do.
Exactly, their status is almost irrelevant. I have zero interest in the Dynasty Warriors series as the game has made little improvements since the third game and the latest version looks like something from the PS2 era (no exaggeration).

If Omega Force was to announce a new game and it looked good, it will have my interest regardless of their past.

Back