Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Right. I'm having trouble imagining the reaction if/when Shenmue IV is announced 3-5-7 years after Shenmue III came and went quietly. Will anyone even notice? It's hard to imagine it having any kind of impact unless they've got something wild up their sleeve...which is always a possibility. I'm a fan, but I'm getting old and less interested in games, honestly. It's tough to even imagine much of a reaction from me anymore...
This is exactly my concern. We are already at 3 years with no news. It is sounding like we may not hear anything for a while. I get we are going through strange times and the environment may not be the best for game creators, but if this is going to ever have a chance to be at least financially positive or attractive for investors, they can’t keep giving us nothing. If hardcore Shenmue fans are starting to not care, the odds of success just keep getting lower. More transparency would help. Yu Suzuki can do whatever he likes of course and I wish him well, but us fans did help him restart this franchise and I think we should know whether that attempt was successful or not. We literally have no idea on how financially successful Shenmue 3 was. I would think at this point someone would at least let us know that? I am aware of the “financially fine” generic corporate statement which could mean anything.

Yu commenting how he still plans on making games next year is a given. I find that great hell wonderful even always happy to see or hear what Yu has up his sleeve.

The real question obviously is one of those projects IV if so when could we hear any noise about it? I'm guessing if the 110 rumors are true probably next summer but that's being wholly optimistic and unrealistic.

I'm honestly not expecting any news next year which as others have said we keep getting further and further out from when 3 was released much less the buzz that the anime got.

How much of us will care aside from the diehards. It's just frustrating right now but we've been here before we got to keep the faith.

It's wild to think how I first played this franchise when I was 12 back on Christmas 2000 and a sobering thought how I'll probably be in my late 30s if not early 40s by the time IV comes out.

I too play less and less games hell I'll more than likely stop completely once the saga is finished. I believe in Yu Suzuki and his letter in the credits of 3 if there is a way he'll make it happen. I know when and if IV is announced I'll be as amped up as ever. I'll shed two years like I did when 3 was announced back at e3 2015. Or how my 12 year old brain somehow knew after seeing that atrocious Who's Nozomi commerical that this franchise would be and still is my all-time favorite and a absolute masterpiece in every sense of the word. we just got to keep moving forward and hold onto hope we'll get to the mountaintop together everyone.

Last edited:
The famitsu quote was kinda disappointing, AI is interesting and all but unless it's used to create complex NPC routines for Shenmue 4 and 5, who cares :D

The 4gamer quote instead is really interesting, and it means that Yu-san is working on new games, being it Shenmue iV or something else.

Now we know the world is a mess etc.(and it will get probably worse, so "waiting for better times" will not work), but we are already at 3 years since Shenmue 3 release and 2 years since PS5 release (they both share the same day too :D ).
To have S4 and 5 in the same generation of consoles, we should have at least the dual announcement in 2023 with a 2024-5 release for Shenmue 4 and 2026-7 for Shenmue 5.

Missing these dates means probably the end of the series, because it wouldn't make sense financially, also the fanbase is getting too old...

Last edited:
I honestly think that we will see the end of the saga with IV and V. Give it time and lets give it everything we have got. The wonder that was and is still Shenmue III was a once In a lifetime event for sure, but I think the wonder that will happen when we see Ryo at the end of his journey will be much more impactful and emotional. Just imagine for a second the unimaginable that we all started playing the series when we were young and ll finish it in a different life, so to speak.

For example, my favourite band of all time is Pearl Jam. I have seen them 26 or so times live. I grew up with them, I followed them on tour, and I have grown with them and grow old with them. I have not always loved everything that they have done but on the different waypoints I have found out years later how fortunate I was to witness it and be a part of it all. It was and is a beautiful and enriching journey.

My second favorite thing is Shenmue. It encapsulates (pun intended) my childhood in an nostalgia kind of way and it is a community that I love and hold dear. I loved playing the III Installment with all its edges and I will love playing the IV and V. The thing is that Shenmue is magic. Absolute magic. So you better keep the faith :))) and it will happen! It is a once in a lifetime journey and I love and appreciate everything on that journey. Even the flat tires along the way.

Go Dojo!

No news sucks, but we're used to it.
There's still the 110 Industries possibility too and if they are at all involved then they won't say anything until well after Wanted: Dead has released.
Something is keeping the lights on at YSNet and that can't just be an Apple Arcade game.
Remember that we had an 18 year gap between 2 and 3. So after 4 years it doesn't just suddenly mean that S4 isn't happening. We just have to keep pushing. I'm optimistic we'll hear something next year.
Keep the faith.

It is disappointing news. Yu needs to do something with Shenmue 4 in 2023. No excuses.

I think one glimmer of hope is to look at the level of multitasking he's done throughout his life. Suzuki-san was involved in all these games over a 5 year basis, so it's not unreasonable to suggest that he is working on Shenmue IV in the midst of Air Twister and the NFT bollocks. If it's suggested that his work rate has slowed in recent years, then sure I can accept that, but I like to think that now he's back on the horse after years in the wilderness, he is able to do multiple things.

1672397627770.png

I stand by the comments he said at the end of Shenmue III and you only have to see his love for the series with the anime and the video Switch translated the other week. I *want* to believe Shenmue IV will come. God knows we need some good news :)

It is disappointing news. Yu needs to do something with Shenmue 4 in 2023. No excuses.

It's not that easy, as proven by the long wait between S2 and S3. He needs a budget and one that will do Shenmue 4 the justice it deserves. Tbh, I wonder if this is why he's turned to NFTs...

What if he just closed a deal with Sega for collaborating for the Oasyx project and instead of an elevated sum of money he exchanged his services for:
- a license for using his VF engine for one or two games? (Obviously S4&5)
- squad of RGG Studio artists, for please just the cutscenes/models and nuzin else.
- any other hopiaceus thought

The answer to it being yes would mandatory lead to:
- halting and restarting development at least at critical parts like whole fight system.
- signing new no disclosure clausules as its not necessary for small-mid studio productions but a firewall for leaks in coproductions with large teams between enterprises.

Bruh

We're in a difficult phase I would think.

With the Anime's future very uncertain and 110 Industries things dying down a little we're craving news.

However, as hard as it is, we need to dig in and support the series the best we can. If we don't do that then any lingering doubts would be proven and people will back off from the series. All the time we want it there's a chance and all the time YSNET is working we have a great shout.

It is simple in my mind. Support the community content, support the hashtags and come together to force the issue.

So in the spirit of sharing our hopes/wishes/expectations for 2023 in the context of Shenmue, here are some of my thoughts.

Starting with expectations: Call me an optimist, but if I had to speculate I'd say at the very least we're getting a status update on Shenmue IV in 2023. And it will be more than just an empty comment like 'there are no concrete plans at the moment'. No clue if it would have anything to do with 110 Industries as I'm not clairvoyant, but I really don't think all this smoke was just smoke...

As for hopes/wishes of what I would actually like to see?
The announcement of a SEGA backed Shenmue IV & V: specifically a collaboration between YsNet and Studio RGG. The Yakuza series has Shenmue's fingerprints all over it and seeing how RGG has a lot of experience creating similar games for modern systems, I feel they probably understand Shenmue very well and would be the ideal developer to do most of the heavy lifting here.

Before people get up in arms, this doesn't mean I want a Yakuza-template Shenmue game. All the things that make Shenmue what it is would still be in there; the abilities to talk to anybody, enter (more) buildings, pick up and inspect items, the diary, day- and night system, no handholding etc. The works. Also, Yu Suzuki would still have final say in all major decisions concerning the story and feel of the game.

That said, I do think at this point RGG has a pretty good finger on the pulse of what clicks with both domestic and foreign gamers and would be able to expand Shenmue's audience beyond just us hardcore fans, because let's face it; we alone are not enough to carry a franchise of this magnitude.

Also, and this is probably blasphemy to some, but I'm not married to the Virtua Fighter battle system. I think it works well for one on one fights, but tends to feel somewhat clunky when fighting multiple opponents. I also don't think RGG's more arcadey battle systems would be the best fit here. So what am I getting at? Well, I've played Sifu this year - which is fantastic - and I feel an adaptation of its battle system would be a perfect fit for Shenmue going forward.

But at this point I've fully entered the Fantasy Zone in my little winged airship :).

In conclusion, while we alone may not be enough to carry this franchise, I strongly believe that we should contribute where and if we can. This can be supporting community content, being vocal on social media or making other gamers aware of the franchise.

If people had stopped talking about Shenmue, we never would have gotten a revival.

Virtua Fighter battle system. I think it works well for one on one fights, but tends to feel somewhat clunky when fighting multiple opponents.
That's another field where AI may come handy, getting into work to flawlessly autotarget the nearest enemy in a dynamic way. It could perform like an expanded system of that introduced at S3 (the one when you press buttons randomly and techniques perform) in which you're pressing buttons and every punch/kick/throw its executed at the bigger menace to player based on distance, attitute (its attacking, deffensive), etc.
Anyway Im all for a change in fighting paradigm, shifting away from muscular memory, and also agree on the superb playability of wing chun in Sifu.

edit: i meant Batman Arkham Asylum style enhanced by AI to target enemy. hope this helps picture it.

Oh yeah, any of those solutions could work out. I have no issues with Virtua Fighter and its battle system outside of some multi-opponent clunkiness we saw in the first two games.

20+ years and multiple installments worth of improvements later, I'm sure a new version of that battle system would work. Also, Shenmue started its life as the Virtua Fighter RPG so I totally understand the attachment to it.

That said, Shenmue had to step away from it for the third installment and if they wanted to go a different route for the fourth game I think a Sifu-esque battle system would be a great fit.

The problem with sega and Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio is that yakuza-like games sells ten or fifteen times more than Shenmue III. The two series right now are in a totally different league. How exactly can someone convince the SEGA bosses (sammy sega) that they should stop making the game that brings them money, at the expense of another game that might sell 10 times less?

That would be great, but I don't see how it can be done. I'll be the happiest person in the world if that happens, because I really like RGG stidio. However, they should continue to make yakuza games. If they don't, tensions could arise between shenmue and yakuza fans. Yakuza games are played by milions right now. It is not in Shenmue's favor to turn so many people against us.

For me, the battle in Shenmue I&II&III and even Yakuza is mostly the same thing. I just mash buttons. :D

The problem with sega and Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio is that yakuza-like games sells ten or fifteen times more than Shenmue III. The two series right now are in a totally different league. How exactly can someone convince the SEGA bosses (sammy sega) that they should stop making the game that brings them money, at the expense of another game that might sell 10 times less?
Right but keep in mind that the negotiation closed to two or even one game shouldn't pose any danger at RGG dominance. Personally as Shenmue fan, I want it polished and what YS wants to tell, not taking over Yakuza popularity. For starters, I don't want hostess at Shenmue.
If they don't, tensions could arise between shenmue and yakuza fans.
Uh.

I don't think it's a likely scenario, but merely stated it as a wish.
That said, I do think a case can be made for SEGA/studio RGG getting involved.

As for those militant fanboys on either side; fuck em ;).
If creators had to worry about outcry of loud minority keyboard warriors, no project would ever see the light of day.

RGG Studio is big enough to work on multiple projects, they are currently working on 3 games, and previously they even did Virtua Fighter 5 US with AM2 while working at their Yakuza.
So a collaboration is not impossible, especially because Shenmue 4 would need only some help with the heavy lift (animations, more cutscenes etc.), YSNet already did the majority of the work with Shenmue 3.

As for the community, the current yakuza one that was created after yakuza 0 is extremely toxic, they trolled shenmue 3 and they will continue to troll shenmue 4, collaboration or not. It's best to ignore them.

The trouble for me is Sega clearly doesn’t care about honoring Yu Suzuki or their less successful franchises. I don’t necessarily blame them—they’re a capitalist venture—but it takes away most of the incentive for making any more Shenmue games. That RGG post kind of settled that for me. Why would an RGG fanboy care about a Shenmue game unless it’s an RGG game, at which point Shenmue fans lose out and there’s literally no point for the games existence in the first place… Be careful what you wish for. Every time a franchise gets that kind of treatment the original fans flip out. On the other hand, why would an RGG fanatic want to play Shenmue when they’ve already turned their noses up to it already? I assume Shenmue IV will be a lot more like Shenmue III than II, and I’m not sure I see the RGG appeal there.

Back