Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Keywords for 2023​

Light AI

Ambition for 2023​

Try approaching AI with a light heart without overthinking logic of thought. Answers derived by imperfect AI, including bugs, should be fun. I will go on a journey to find new ideas using AI w

Recent report​

In 2022, we released a new work " Air Twister " from Apple Arcade. In 2023, I am also involved in character supervision for a project called " OASYX ".

Things to watch in 2023 or entertainment works​

I have great expectations for the evolution of AI technology, the appearance of entertainment with visual images that surpass human imagination, and the efforts to find original value in digital data.

The community was right all along

index.php

index.php

Last edited:
Following your Terminator comparison, I hope this means you'll spend the first five minutes (hell, maybe the whole game) walking around the streets as a nude Yu Suzuki in search of clothes. "Hm, I know this..." He'll probably find sailors more easily.

(More seriously, I'm interested to see what he'll do here.)

Feel free to check here (one of the 110 Industries thread iirc) on my past "what if" YS got in touch with Yoot Saito, former gamedev (Seaman) now in full reclusive AI research mode. Now Suzuki sensei himself announces AI milestone.

From now just call me Sherezade, the fortune teller. Or Indigo Montoya, any of those will so. I charge a small fee for predictions.
accepting NFTs

Following your Terminator comparison, I hope this means you'll spend the first five minutes (hell, maybe the whole game) walking around the streets as a nude Yu Suzuki in search of clothes. "Hm, I know this..." He'll probably find sailors more easily.

Beats up a Sailor and takes his clothes lol :LOL:

Post of the year 😂

Well, there goes our shred of hope for a status update for Shenmue fans. I’m sorry, but the only excuse for this is if they are working on Shenmue 4 and can’t announce yet. I do think this is a possibility with Cedric still having his exclusive Shenmue pic pinned on Twitter for the past 5 years even though he has had other projects currently ongoing and 110 industries not denying involvement. If nothing is greenlit yet though, Yu should give us that information.

Last edited:
Shame. No obvious Shenmue teases there.

Oh well...onto Magic Monaco in February!

Well, there goes our shred of hope for a status update for Shenmue fans. I’m sorry, but the only excuse for this is if they are working on Shenmue 4 and can’t announce yet. I do think this is a possibility with Cedric still having his exclusive Shenmue pic pinned on Twitter for the past 3 years even though he has had other projects currently ongoing and 110 industries not denying involvement. If nothing is greenlit yet though, Yu should give us that information.
I understand your deception, I also hoped further details. Honestly it looks to me as if some plan got truncated for the still running 2022, he got the lesson and goes extra-conservative.
Also, Shenmue may imply contracts with many 3rd parties, for licensing content to props and stuff and maybe being outspoken risks the whole project(?).
Yes, Im cheering myself.
But there's some interesting points at his words still, as the embarking on journey (wtf?wtf?) or the bugs part.

"Using AI w" and that's literally from Famitsu. Did they included his full sentence? Was It "Using AI with (unknown)?

*Related? Kojima's new teased media, the videogame and movie industry changer.

We shall see on that one. I'm not expecting anything.
Maybe I break the wishful thinking meter but: I consider Monaco and the term Magic as Yu Suzuki's/AM2 lore. It would be very an extremely niche market stun but we've seen like that in niche games launch campaigns.
Whats most unnerving its that what YS said applies to a npc conversation system, fighting or driving AI.
Is anyone else intrigued by the consideration of bugs as gameplay?
Seriously, people, embarking on a journey? That sounds both great and sad news for a fan (something Big will come out as result but long delay in every inhouse project).

The project with the "light-hearted approach to AI" doesn't sound to me like Shenmue game. More like new experimental apple arcade game. :) Some stupid AI that do crazy and funny things, doesnt fit in the shenmue universe. I just cant see how that can be implement in the npc behaivior.

If the NPCs are acting stupid and doing buggy and unexpected things, that can be funny, but i cant see how this will help the series. Just more oportunity for the haters to make funny videos for clickbaits. :D NPCs must be scripted like before, but where else an AI can be used?

Sorry to be one of those fans guys, but with no word on a sequel and even the anime getting canceled, there's zero reason to believe Shenmue will continue, let alone end.

I'll continue to be part of the dojo, not for any shred of hope of a future release for Shenmue, but simply to continue being part of the great community here. And hey... we got to ride a hype wave that has never been seen before... the resurrection of a dead franchise, for however short a time, and even be part of it... some of us even getting our names in the credits of the successful Kickstarter continuation.

4Gamer's developers survey is also now out. It's mainly about people/games that impressed the most during the past year, with a small comment at the end about the upcoming year:

Q4: What are your ambitions for 2023, and what is your message to 4Gamer readers?

YS:
I will be continuing diligently to create games next year.

In 2022, we announced a new shooting game, Air Twister, on Apple Arcade. It is a shooting game with a fun swiping mechanic, so I hope you will enjoy playing it during the year-end and New Year holidays.

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2022/12/yu-suzukis-responses-4gamers-2022-end.html

yu-suzuki.jpg

The "w" is from the Japanese sentence - it's used to indicate a smile or laugh.

I've also done a translation in this post (so there is slightly different wording for Yu's responses):

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2022/12/yu-suzukis-keyword-for-2023-light-ai.html
Thank you very much for explaining its significance to me and my apologies to every japanese citizen. \[^w^]/*
It's amazing the shut response now given at your linked interview. He goes for 2022 when asked for 2023... It raises my suspicions about some deal/s falling in the crumbling market. I have to understand that talking in public about a project with problems to get funded consequentally adds unpopularity and don't-touch aura, but its a bit frustating.

Facts (leading nowhere?):
- He is gotten by behaviour algorithms. First the AI research declaration and now he points Vampire Survivors for its management of many processes at execution time.
- Even if he always has been more of a game mechanics designer, than for example a visual artist type of director (Fumito Ueda), he seems more "meta" than ever. Again the AI, masses behaviours, breaking rules/game conventions (bug exploits), a journey.
I believe he is at personal crucial moment.
- He still has many cultural curiosity, in touch with nowadays anime and everything.
- He spare time to enjoy simple life, Shenmuesque pleasures, like a calmed and relaxing billiard play.

Also, my personal opinion, I get from his attitude and responses that he is not unaware of polemics surrounding him or claims over his secretism. Maybe he even has read some of the "damned Yu Suzuki! Say what I, who pays you, deserve!" kind of posts, he's reacting cocky and that makes me happy he not allowing anyone putting boots on his neck. Very well done. I like Terminator Suzuki. Nobody should take shit at his 60s.

Sorry to be one of those fans guys, but with no word on a sequel and even the anime getting canceled, there's zero reason to believe Shenmue will continue, let alone end.

I'll continue to be part of the dojo, not for any shred of hope of a future release for Shenmue, but simply to continue being part of the great community here. And hey... we got to ride a hype wave that has never been seen before... the resurrection of a dead franchise, for however short a time, and even be part of it... some of us even getting our names in the credits of the successful Kickstarter continuation.
I see just a nice unbiased description of the situation right now. Brain over guts. You're not being doomer there at all. And I like how you put it at the bright side. I couldn't back the KS campaign back at the day and I'll be eternally grateful to all those backers for helping into getting me the best Shenmue episode so far: Shenmue, the Third.

And I appreciate a lot both feet-to-ground "expect nothing" spud style and call to hope ShenSun flavour.
I got hope on the strange and uncertain YS+Sega (Oasysx)+Virtua Fighter eSports collusion of events crystalizing into something with good taste for us.

I've just wrote a book here , glups 😳

Q4: What are your ambitions for 2023, and what is your message to 4Gamer readers?

YS:
I will be continuing diligently to create games next year.

In 2022, we announced a new shooting game, Air Twister, on Apple Arcade. It is a shooting game with a fun swiping mechanic, so I hope you will enjoy playing it during the year-end and New Year holidays.

Ooo, that's more like it. 🙂

Right. I'm having trouble imagining the reaction if/when Shenmue IV is announced 3-5-7 years after Shenmue III came and went quietly. Will anyone even notice? It's hard to imagine it having any kind of impact unless they've got something wild up their sleeve...which is always a possibility. I'm a fan, but I'm getting old and less interested in games, honestly. It's tough to even imagine much of a reaction from me anymore...

Back