A Gamer's Journey (Shenmue Documentary) goes to Kickstarter

Yea, it's pretty dang close now. Had to invest some cash into the project but it's a labor of love so it is what it is. Before the kickstarter I think I spent like 10K just traveling to different cities to film youtubers, fans, and industry people. Plus the first time I went to Japan to get all that Yokosuka travel footage. It all adds up when you look back but it was totally worth it.

For anyone wondering if they can get a physical copy: The break point for bulk orders is 1000 and I think we have like 750 ish to fulfill give or take so there will be extras. Looking into options for getting it on some streaming services as well like Amazon Prime or the Play Store. That means more legal fees because you need a copywrite lawyer to check and approve you have rights to use all the footage (which we do). Happy to pay whatever that costs because getting it on one of those platforms would be really cool.

Thanks for the update, Adam, great stuff!

Can you do us all a favour though?

When you send this out to those Tom Kro, Ruben and James Nathan Lloyd assholes, can you include a hand-written note that (kindly!) tells them to **** off and eat shit?

It's pricks like those that give our fanbase a bad name and to lump you and the other people involved in with all of those others on KS that HAVE scammed people, makes me sick to my stomach.

Again, I'm just a bit north in Barrie; if you need manpower for anything in particular, let me know and I'll be more than happy to assist with anything :)

Great news. I appreciate how difficult this has been and reading some of the comments on Kickstarter have been dispiriting. That said, i've had a similar pickle with a Twin Peaks related documentary that still hasn't been done to the point i've lost interest. However, I love Shenmue and in my gut knew that you guys were doing all you can. I do think it would've been good to have a little more frequent updates even if it's only to say "things are still progressing" to ward off the less patient, but then again I guess those people would get a gold plated blu-ray hand delivered by Suzuki-san and they'd still feel like you kicked their cat.

Looking forward to the final product :)

Thanks for the update, Adam, great stuff!

Can you do us all a favour though?

When you send this out to those Tom Kro, Ruben and James Nathan Lloyd assholes, can you include a hand-written note that (kindly!) tells them to **** off and eat shit?

It's pricks like those that give our fanbase a bad name and to lump you and the other people involved in with all of those others on KS that HAVE scammed people, makes me sick to my stomach.

Again, I'm just a bit north in Barrie; if you need manpower for anything in particular, let me know and I'll be more than happy to assist with anything :)
Thanks for the support. You've always gone to bat for us and I appreciate it! If you are up for it I'm totally down to personally deliver your copy! I have family in newmarket and Bradford so Barrie isn't too far at all. Always down to talk shenmue over beer and or coffee 😀

Ahhh that would be super-awesome!

I don't want to put anyone out, but I'm for it as well! I'll send a PM :)

There's too much anger and hate in the world. People are incredibly entitled these days and I really feel for anyone who either works in retail, customer services or really in any kind of public facing role. You see the same kind of attitude in the comments section of just about every Kickstarter imagineable. I have backed a lot of Kickstarters and I don't think there is a single one that could be described as having ran smoothly (except for Shenmue World, actually), there always unforeseen issues. I doubt there are many Kickstarters that were set up as some sort of elaborate scheme to scam people out of money. People start projects like this out of passion and love for what they are doing and have nothing but the best intentions. Sometimes shit happens though and it messes things up (have people not noticed there was a global pandemic and that millions of people died?)

In this case, we know the film exists, we have seen it and we know it's absolutely phenomenal (that reminds me, I need to watch it again some time). People will get their rewards as soon as it is possible.

Uh-oh @Truck_1_0_1_ , you've made some enemies haha.

View attachment 16999

I mean, I understand their frustration with things, but some of their comments were pretty spiteful.

I replied. Guy is acting like a whiny little female dog, instead of accepting and having empathy for the situation at hand. Don't usually say this about people, but **** him.

There's too much anger and hate in the world. People are incredibly entitled these days and I really feel for anyone who either works in retail, customer services or really in any kind of public facing role. You see the same kind of attitude in the comments section of just about every Kickstarter imagineable. I have backed a lot of Kickstarters and I don't think there is a single one that could be described as having ran smoothly (except for Shenmue World, actually), there always unforeseen issues. I doubt there are many Kickstarters that were set up as some sort of elaborate scheme to scam people out of money. People start projects like this out of passion and love for what they are doing and have nothing but the best intentions. Sometimes shit happens though and it messes things up (have people not noticed there was a global pandemic and that millions of people died?)

In this case, we know the film exists, we have seen it and we know it's absolutely phenomenal (that reminds me, I need to watch it again some time). People will get their rewards as soon as it is possible.

Bang on, Reprise. As I wrote above, not just hate and anger, but a lack of empathy and (as Spags said) pure selfishness/entitlement are what exists in the world today: the sense of community and/or togetherness is dying by the minute, in our modern world and it makes for a shitty place/atmosphere.

Elysian Shadows turned out to be 1 big scam though. That or the Falco moron decided to stop trying to be nice and just ran with his, "villain/scammer," persona (though apparently, according to what he posts on social media {don't follow the guy}, he is just a putrid human being).

Elysian Shadows turned out to be 1 big scam though. That or the Falco moron decided to stop trying to be nice and just ran with his, "villain/scammer," persona (though apparently, according to what he posts on social media {don't follow the guy}, he is just a putrid human being).

Haha oh man, there is a lot I want to say about this, but I don't want to detail the thread, so I'll just say "fuck him".

But yeah, even with that case (I think I pledged £130 to that project, I can't even remember what tier it was), I still do not have the energy to moan in the KS comments or send abuse to Falco (who, I agree, judging from his social media posts, has some incredibly questionable views on a number of topics - and that's me being diplomatic)

The last communication I saw from him was in the Dreamcast Junkyard group a couple of years ago when he was on his full on Covid denialist/anti-lockdown mission, but I think he left after one of the admins called him a scammer to his face and wouldn't back down when he claimed he is totally working on the game all the time (yeah, right).

The documentary title paying tribute to Bruce Lee's Game of Death fan-edit gives this project +100 charisma.

Back