What are you playing?

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4)

I must say, I'm disappointed. I honestly don't think I'll be purchasing any more future games from this series, which is really crushing for me personally as I'm a huge fan of the franchise.

I adore the classic Tomb Raider games. I even loved the wonderfully cheesy Angelina Jolie films. However, this reboot series feels like I'm investing in a completely different franchise entirely. While I understand its meant to be a fresh interpretation of the source material, I'm finding the perpetual dark/gritty, ultra-serious nature of these games utterly exhausting to put up with - I'd much rather go play something more colourful and upbeat like the Uncharted games. Also, my patience has just about worn thin with the amount of time these games spend towards combat and fannying around in hub worlds instead of actually raiding tombs, which are instead relegated to optional side missions.

However, I think the biggest fault I take with this reboot is with Lara herself. Her character just completely lacks any of the charm and sass which I loved about her previous incarnations. Instead she's just so...dull! Overly-dramatic, breathing and shrieking into my ear canal all the goddamn time, and constantly bemoaning how she lost her parents (didn't you get over that two games ago???).

There was a definitive 'moment' when I actually switched off the game, turned to my sister sitting next to me and we both exclaimed 'What the fuck was that?!' It's about 75% in when Lara is forced to gun down militia while wearing this...
shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-pistol.jpg
Utterly ridiculous. Trading this tomorrow.

Playing more Retro games right now. The only modern game I am busy with at the moment is Red Dead Redemption 2. A nice game i have to say but i am not playing it seriously. Just once in the while.

In the Retro Department I am trying the play the japanes Version of Policenauts on my good old japanese Saturn. Nice game but hard to play with my very limited japanese skills. But I won't give up. Wanna finish this game for sure.

On my N64 I am playing Perfect Dark.

I just beat Kingdom Heart RE:Chain of Memories on the PS4. very decent game considering it's limited origins - Switch the combat system to attacks using a cycle of cards. For as basic as it sounds they got very creative and I found each encounter engaging. I appreciate the production value and all the cutscenes rendered in 3D... but I still prefer the GBA to play! Biggest issue is the Battle Arena, they're very wide spread and more times than I'd like my attacks missed. Also in the Created rooms originally the camera was fixed to an isometric view, in this game it's fully 3D but you turn the camera around and they didn't even fill in the rooms other walls - You just look down into the abyss through an invisible wall which is odd.

But I do appreciate this as the definitive version from a narrative perspective, the cutscenes are fully animated and lovely to experience and the story is very compelling - Despite the Disney Worlds being recycled garbage, the game even dismisses them as so, but when the story heats up in-between its great!

Debating if I can really put myself through 385/2 Days... my least favourite title (NOT COUNTING RE:Coded), I am tempted to skip it and just watch the movie version presented in the Remix remasters.

Playing more Retro games right now. The only modern game I am busy with at the moment is Red Dead Redemption 2. A nice game i have to say but i am not playing it seriously. Just once in the while.

In the Retro Department I am trying the play the japanes Version of Policenauts on my good old japanese Saturn. Nice game but hard to play with my very limited japanese skills. But I won't give up. Wanna finish this game for sure.

On my N64 I am playing Perfect Dark.

Erm, you do realise there was an English translation for Policenauts, right?

No was not aware that there is even a translation patch. I am playing the game with a English guide which is good enough for me. Thanks a lot for the info.

I am a bit confused since I'm a fan of the game but couldn't get any enjoyment out of such a story heavy game without understanding what is going on fully. The patch is for both the PlayStation version and there's a newer one for Saturn too.

PC-98 version is the original version of the game and has more scenes and story in it.

Take it you've played Snatcher already then?

I can relate to that. The game is really interesting and it is a pity that I cannot understand it completely. The guide is helpful a lot but it would be better to understand it completely. I will take a look at the patch for sure.

To be honest I haven't played Snatcher yet but want to do it. Only problem is, that I am interested in the Mega CD Version and this Version is super expensive

I know there is a Saturn Version as well, but the Saturn Version is supposed not to be so good and then we have got the problem with the language barrier again. But maybe I am lucky and there is a transalation patch again. But this would not help to get rid of the other flaws the Saturn Version supposedly has.

But lets see. Snatcher is a game I want to play for sure asap.

Finally got around to unwrapping the thing, and playing Horizon Zero Dawn. Not only have I been so busy this past year, but I also had a very specific list of games I didn't want to experience until I was fully kitted out with 4K.

It's just.... I love this era of gaming we are in, with games like this, God of War, Witcher 3, Spiderman, heck, even Black Ops 4, games just look so absolutely amazing. They really do.

In the same vein as The Witcher and God of War, the world exploration is really what has me hooked right now. It's the look, the atmosphere, the colour pallette... I even get Shenmue vibes off of the weather system. But the sheer eye watering scenery just makes me feel so satisfied with all the money spent on a PS4 Pro and Samsung 4k TV. If Shenmue 3 looks like anything in the same area (which I believe it will, even for a Kickstarter game) then I cannot emphasize how much of a treat Shenmue fans are in for, on regards to the scenery alone.

Back to Horizon, and I am just a short ways into it. I am supposed to go trade something as part of the first main objective, but if course I ditched that, to do some sidequests, an errand, and explore the world by lighting every campfire on the map. Speaking of the map, how frigging huge is this map!!! I've been exploring for hours, and it's just a small corner of the world, about 10% of it! I am adoring this game, and cannot wait to lose myself inside of it.

Sunset Overdrive.
It's just fun, reminds me of a 90s early 00 game, the humor can be kinda cheesy, but everything else is just so on point.

Really digging it.

I'm having a quick break from Kingdom hearts and picked a game from the ever growing backlog - The Darkness.
1542802853811.png
A near launch title for PS3/360 That honestly reminds me of a bite sized Elder Scrolls game - A very similar gameplay structure in 1ST person, a vast amount of areas to explore, yet it has a more focused story which if anything I approve of.

The controls are a bit janky though and I do struggle with the concept of hiding in the darkness when I don't have a very effective way to take out artificial light in the city quietly - I have to shoot out lights which then alerts enemies nearby... Not sure If I am just missing something obvious but there is a bit of a disconnect regarding the stealth approach in this game.

I was really enjoying the cityscape of the game exploring the subway and navigating around apartments but the story has taken a very surreal turn to a new location which I am not so fond of - kinda hoping it just reverts back to the cityscape, which considering I found new areas which hadn't had any story content in I am still hopeful for.

Still finding the game to be a nice little surprise and fully recommend it considering how cheap it is now.

That's the first game I played on the 360. I keep telling myself that I'm gonna go back to it and play through the sequel n'all. Though I say that about a lot of games, so fuck knows if I'll actually do it.

Finally got around to unwrapping the thing, and playing Horizon Zero Dawn. Not only have I been so busy this past year, but I also had a very specific list of games I didn't want to experience until I was fully kitted out with 4K.

It's just.... I love this era of gaming we are in, with games like this, God of War, Witcher 3, Spiderman, heck, even Black Ops 4, games just look so absolutely amazing. They really do.

In the same vein as The Witcher and God of War, the world exploration is really what has me hooked right now. It's the look, the atmosphere, the colour pallette... I even get Shenmue vibes off of the weather system. But the sheer eye watering scenery just makes me feel so satisfied with all the money spent on a PS4 Pro and Samsung 4k TV. If Shenmue 3 looks like anything in the same area (which I believe it will, even for a Kickstarter game) then I cannot emphasize how much of a treat Shenmue fans are in for, on regards to the scenery alone.

Back to Horizon, and I am just a short ways into it. I am supposed to go trade something as part of the first main objective, but if course I ditched that, to do some sidequests, an errand, and explore the world by lighting every campfire on the map. Speaking of the map, how frigging huge is this map!!! I've been exploring for hours, and it's just a small corner of the world, about 10% of it! I am adoring this game, and cannot wait to lose myself inside of it.
Graphics in horizon is absolutely stunning. However plot was a huge letdown for me.

I'm bouncing between Red Dead Redemption 2, Shenmue II (PS4), Yakuza Kiwami 2, and Fist of the North Star. I also JUST started playing GTA V again since I had to install it on my PS4 Pro after my other one died.

I've never really been a "gameplay-heavy" type gamer, and nowadays I play mostly for story and such. That being said, I really don't recommend bouncing between multiple story-heavy games unless you have the time for it. I'm all over the damn place now.

I must continue playing Horizon Zero Dawn. The problem is that the framerate is not so good on normal PS4 and i'm on the quest where i must climb on that brontosaurus like cyborg-animals.

I just bought Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4) during a Black Friday sale. This completes the trilogy for me, yet I've only beaten the first one so far, and even that was on PS3.

I got a whole week off from work next week, so I'm hoping to knock out some of these games.

Just poking around on Carmageddon: Max Damage.

And trying to get Ryu ga Gotoku Online to work and it won't :(

Back