What are you playing?

Finally beat Dynamite Headdy for the first time. I think I got blown up or quit at Baby Face the last time I attempted a playthrough. I don't know why the game never really clicked with me before, but damn is it awesome now that it clicked. It gets shockingly tough at the end, I feel like I just barely scraped by on the final boss. Also, can we take a second to appreciate just how fucking SICK that soundtrack is??

Finally beat Dynamite Headdy for the first time. I think I got blown up or quit at Baby Face the last time I attempted a playthrough. I don't know why the game never really clicked with me before, but damn is it awesome now that it clicked. It gets shockingly tough at the end, I feel like I just barely scraped by on the final boss. Also, can we take a second to appreciate just how fucking SICK that soundtrack is??

Were you playing the western or Japanese version? The Japanese version is easier IIRC, you have more health. Great game regardless!

I've had it for about 10 years now, still haven't played it

But I will ;)
That's me with Shining Force 3. I've actually started it a handful of times, but never got far beyond the beginning because of real life getting in the way + softlocks. Later realized the softlocks were due to using analog control. Analog technically works, but the game doesn't officially support it. Likely for this reason.

Were you playing the western or Japanese version? The Japanese version is easier IIRC, you have more health. Great game regardless!
I'm gonna have to plead the fifth now that you mentioned the difficulty difference...

I'm playing FF16 since day one and i'm having a really good time with it.

I'm not a FF fan at all, the only other FF game i really enjoyed was FF9.
But i dont really like FF7, 8, 10 and so on. First of all, i don't like this mix between
modern machine stuff and oldschool like knights with swords and these kind of things.
Like FF7 or 15, where you have cars and guns and robots but people are still fighting with swords,
wearing shoulder armor and so on - i dont really like that.

Secondly, i'm not really into turn based combat. I like fast paced direct movement combat,
like Nioh 2, Wo Long, Returnal, ... I like to be responsible for every single move directly.
Even Dark Souls is a little bit too slow for my taste.
And thats why i like FF16.
All of it has this medieval theme, no cars or machine guns etc. Just classic mages, classic knights, castles, ships ...
and it has fast paced direct movement combat. I'm also really enjoying the storyline and characters.
In fact, i bought the game day one because of the story in the demo version. Thats what got me.

I'm at 58 hours now, 89% story progression and i'm still not bored.
Its not the best game ever or anything like that, it has some pacing problems
and too many basic side missions. I wouldnt even say that its a classic RPG game, there are no stats like
intelligence, strength or whatever, only HP and DMG. So its more like a action game,
disguised as RPG.
But overall, within this category, its a well made game with some incredible boss fights, characters and cinematics
(there were a lot of scenes where i literally was in awe because i could not believe that this is a videogame)
and i love that you can pick your own skill selection for your own playstyle.
Its also really cool that it has a very mature vibe, its not afraid of blood, cursing or naked skin.
I think its totally worth the full retail price IF you like story heavy fast paced combat action games.

But i can easily see why classic FF fans could totally hate this game.

I'm currently replaying Final Fantasy 7 Remake (PS5). I did the free upgrade from the PS4 version, but I honestly can't see a difference. The game looked incredible on PS4. I'm wondering if Rebirth being PS5 only will show a bigger upgrade in graphics.

Secondly, I'm playing the Game Gear additions to Sonic Origins. These Sonic games were some of my favorites during my childhood. Honestly, it's a bit painful to play them now as they didn't age well. Specifically, Sonic Spinball, which I loved, is so hard to watch and control. I wish they would have added the Genesis version of that game.

Well, I beat one path of Toukon Retsuden 4 on the DC and I'm never playing that game again, unless it is with friends lol.

It is an EXCELLENT game on the whole, but the entirety of the gameplay is dependent on Rock, Paper, Scissors-style of inputs, which makes it a game that is almost (almost!) 100% dependent on luck, especially when there are two buttons for grappling (one does a submission, the other a, "drop," move) and you have to guess. For me personally, that kills the game and I'm not playing it again lol. Awesome to play as the nWo from back then :D

If anyone's wondering how I did it, I basically picked Masahiro Chono and did his strong strike attack (a kick to the face), followed by either a Camel Clutch or an S.T.F. Yes it would get reversed sometimes, but I just rinsed and repeated for 2 hours and FINALLY was able to beat one of the paths lol.

I will NOT be fully completing it lol.

Backlog down to 103

Played Rayman 2 the past 3 days and FINALLY beat a game that I started (and left at 25.7%) in 2007(!).

Beat it with 74.4% completion and that's not going back to grab lums and cages that I missed. And that final boss, argh, once I figured out that you can hit him when in the lava (after like 2+ hours of not knowing), I beat him after 3 minutes <_<

Great game though, arguably the best platformer on a Sega console.

Backlog now down to 102! :D

I did buy Puyo Puyo 2 for the Genesis and GG, plus Sun for the Saturn this past week (will get 4/N next week for the DC), so the backlog will go back up again, but I should be able to beat them in short order :)

Last edited:
Played Rayman 2 the past 3 days and FINALLY beat a game that I started (and left at 25.7%) in 2007(!).

Beat it with 74.4% completion and that's not going back to grab lums and cages that I missed. And that final boss, argh, once I figured out that you can hit him when in the lava (after like 2+ hours of not knowing), I beat him after 3 minutes <_<

Great game though, arguably the best platformer on a Sega console.

Backlog now down to 102! :D

I did buy Puyo Puyo 2 for the Genesis and GG, plus Sun for the Saturn this past week (will get 4/N next week for the DC), so the backlog will go back up again, but I should be able to beat them in short order :)
Weird as hell to read this as just the morning I booted up Rayman 2 for the first time in 2 or 3 years. Just meant it to be a quick 1 minute test but accidentally spent an hour playing through a few levels again. 😂 Utterly fantastic game, and the Dreamcast version in particular is drop dead gorgeous to boot.

Got that right!

I believe the creator (Michel... Ancel?) stated that it was not only his favourite version, but that he felt it was the best port of the game as well.

It's no surprise it is a French-developed/created game: all throughout, I found the whimsy and ambience to be so very similar to Evil Twin: a lighter, brighter Evil Twin.

Weird as hell to read this as just the morning I booted up Rayman 2 for the first time in 2 or 3 years. Just meant it to be a quick 1 minute test but accidentally spent an hour playing through a few levels again. 😂 Utterly fantastic game, and the Dreamcast version in particular is drop dead gorgeous to boot.
Two words: serene dipity

Final Fantasy XVI. Don't know why, tbh. Haven't bought a Final Fantasy since VIII, which I don't recall playing more than half of. Well, for one--this one's nothing like any other Final Fantasy I've played. It's an action game!? What happened to this series? The story is compellingly bonkers and has kept me engaged, so that's all that matters in the end. Combat seems extremely easy so far and I'm not sure there's any hidden depth there? Evade, strike, warp move, Eykonic ability, repeat. (Great graphics, but honestly... some of the NPCs are just as cringe as Shenmue III NPCs, folks just don't focus on the bad as much in a game like this since there's more distractions and it's so cinematic in general). Cid looks like a third-rate Nathan Drake.

Right!? I can't unsee it. Seems really weird for such a big budget extravaganza. I think Shenmue 3 got more shit than it deserved for its graphics... Hate to bring that discussion into this thread, but it's something I've been thinking about as I play a grand adventure that gets credit for its graphics.

Right!? I can't unsee it. Seems really weird for such a big budget extravaganza.
Its been ages since I read extravaganza which is a very underlooked word. And its spanish equivalent is really close in writting (extravagancia).
I think Shenmue 3 got more shit than it deserved for its graphics... Hate to bring that discussion into this thread, but it's something I've been thinking about as I play a grand adventure that gets credit for its graphics.
Nah, you're alright mate its brought with respect. And its true, it was unfair while other titles shared release times while enjoying more empathy. The Evil Within for example, applying the same point bar should be treated more hard. Its awfully unoptimized specially considering it uses idTech5 (Rage runs smooth even in very low end PCs, with mid to high settings and looks great imo). Lucius 1/2 got criticized by its lots of bugs but still with "Awww..."
Hitman 2016, fun game. It obligated to be online like if owners were pressumed pirates by default, poor npc modelling and two voice actors for everyone and yet... Shenmue 3 stills gets that unfair worst game ever title. Because hyenas has taken the game scene. Sorry for snaping at the end I can't help It but its not your fault.

Finished replaying the Oracle Zelda games…I’m not sure either are quite as amazing as I recall feeling way back, but even so still feel confident in saying they are my favorite 2D games in the series.

With Tears of the Kingdom, I’d already felt like it’s sort of similar to being able to explore Holodrum/Labrynna after completing their adventures, and still having more to do. There’s been some contention whether this or that actually carries over from the other save file(and I haven’t kept up to date with any findings) but I enjoyed that aspect and wish they did even more with it, but I suppose they wanted newcomers to be able to pick up the new Zelda without making as much of the experience hinge on prior knowledge.

Been games I’ve been meaning to get back to, but I decided maybe I should try and beat Super Mario Sunshine for my first time to send off summer. Kind of fitting given it’s just as frustrating. I feel like I get better at it every time I try, but there are certain bits where the crazy physics just make everything else worse than it needs to be. As much as I dislike how slippery Mario is in 64, at least he feels much more responsive there. Galaxy was the first time I really felt he controlled well and it’s super fine tuned in Odyssey. Sadly it’s just not that way here.

While digging through my pile of Switch games I did come across Final Fantasy IX. I’d played the version on ps3 many years ago to the end of disc 1, but hadn’t touched it since then. I remember liking the more laid back nature of it, so I decided to try again, and am appreciating more of it now, especially the music, though I still feel ff6 probably has the best overall ost of the series.

I did purchase Cassette Beasts hearing its a little like Pokémon but haven’t touched it yet. I also kinda wanna try the Pikmin series now. There’s also the Red Dead Redemption port coming which seems lazy and overpriced especially without multiplayer, and I’ve played it countless times now, but it would be more convenient on Switch and I still haven’t finished Undead Nightmare.

super mario sunshine was quite a good game. i completed it back on the gamecube, when it first came out.. (21 years ago ! :censored:)

you really cant go wrong with super mario games, they are always fun.
Back at GameCube, if it wasn't cute enough console and disc format, loved the way Nintendo took the horror formula, twisted it in its unique way with Luigi's Mansion. Btw, first person patch has been updated recently...maybe its time to give it another go!

Back