Things that annoy you in games

What things occur in video games that make you want to want to chuck your console out of the window?

I hate games that include building mechanics eg Fallout 4 where you are given a task to create a home with 4 beds etc but are given total free reign over how to get there. I don't want it scaled back or anything but I would like to be able to follow a guide in game so that I can be sure that what I am making is good. I had a similar issue playing Dark Cloud when I was a kid years ago. You have to rebuild towns but can remake them however you want when all I want to do is recreate the town exactly how it once was. I can't enjoy mobile games such as The Simpsons Tapped Out for the same reason. I like things done in set ways and if there is no clear perfect build then my head just can't take it.

What things occur in video games that make you want to want to chuck your console out of the window?

I hate games that include building mechanics eg Fallout 4 where you are given a task to create a home with 4 beds etc but are given total free reign over how to get there. I don't want it scaled back or anything but I would like to be able to follow a guide in game so that I can be sure that what I am making is good. I had a similar issue playing Dark Cloud when I was a kid years ago. You have to rebuild towns but can remake them however you want when all I want to do is recreate the town exactly how it once was. I can't enjoy mobile games such as The Simpsons Tapped Out for the same reason. I like things done in set ways and if there is no clear perfect build then my head just can't take it.

Games that are based on luck and not the hours and hours of grinding... like Phantasy Star 2.

I mean, sure, I could've leveled the party up to 99 each, but I didn't want to spend another 150 hours doing so, especially an overrated, plod-along title such as that.

And even then, the randomness of Dark Force STILL turns it into a game of luck.

I hate it when games have obstacles where your character should easily be able to overcome but is forced to do a convoluted puzzle or take a convoluted route in order to pass it. For example, I am playing God of War and there are many instances where Kratos and his son should be able to sneak through this gap or climb this wall but are forced to go the long way round or complete a puzzle, albeit a relatively straight forward one.

The worst offender that I will always remember is TimeShift. There is a level where you come across a warehouse/factory and there is a ledge that you can see over so at the most it is up to your neck. You should just be able to jump or climb over it but you have to do this platforming piece which involves time travel. I will always remember how ridiculous that was.

Second thing I hate is game demos that don't get straight to the point. Personally, I have so little time for gaming right now; I have purchased 3-4 games this generation that I have put less than an hour into before deleting them so I am selective about the games I get. There are some demos that have unskippable cut scenes and take you through lengthy tutorials before putting you in the game.

Menu screens that are slow to respond.
Unskippable dialogue/cut-scenes.
Shit controls.
Inconsistent physics.
Turn-based battles (Pokémon gets a pass)
Multiplayer servers getting shutdown.
Prices (actual prices, not in-game. They can get fucked if they reckon I'm spending more than £20 on it!)
Broken in-game economies (what's the point if including it if I've got more money than the cosy of everything in the game combined?)
Previous and current gen releases that don't have (or have minimal) voiced dialogue. Indie titles get a pass.
Radical departures in art style for sequels.
Kids with mics.
Leaping rapid-fire sniper exploits in multiplayer.
Ads.
Cross-play with the PC lot when they have the advantage of a mouse.
"Don't take damage in a ridiculously awkward boss fight" achievements.
Collectible achievements.
"Sink thousands of hours of your life into playing" achievements.
Flying. It's usually always shit.
Annoyingly repetitive music.
Annoyingly repetitive dialogue.
Discs.
Cartridges.
Cassettes.
Disks.
Dialogue getting cut off because you've bumped into an NPC or triggered a cut-scene early.
Older point-and-click adventure puzzles.
Visual XP/HP numbers.
Audio mixes where the music and sound effects are louder than dialogue by default.
"Hint" characters like Navi and Omochao (Max is sound though)
Misleading box art.
Detective games that require no detective work on the player's part.

There's probably more tbh.

When a previously colourful, light-hearted franchise suddenly feels the need to do the nauseatingly tired 'Dark Knight' treatment and become a gritty, ultra-serious re-telling in an effort to be taken more seriously.

Prices (actual prices, not in-game. They can get fucked if they reckon I'm spending more than £20 on it!)
Don't understand this at all, I consider a lot of stuff overpriced but in terms of bang for buck games are good value for money.

Even with purchasable DLC gaming used to cost more, I bought a copy of Street Fighter II for the SNES a few years ago, inside the box was the original receipt, it cost £60 in 1992, the equivalent of £122 in today's money.

Flying. It's usually always shit.
Swimming is usually worse.

Stealth missions in a game that has no business having a stealth mission.

Having a weapon that in any real life situation could likely blow through a wooden door, but for some reason this wooden door is invincible unless you have a key.

The inventory weight restriction. Actually, inventory restrictions in general.

A game that feels like I'm just walking into the next extended cutscene. When it feels like whoever was making the thing was more interested in telling a story than making a game for me to play.

Lousy camera angles
Having to pay extra content as opposed
To unlocking them by playing a long time
The controls of smartphone games

So far, no sequels to: Chrono Trigger, Toshinden, Tobal, and so on

Endless text logs.
Lots of map radars and menu clutter.
First person perspective.
Shock value like violence or nudity without need.
DLC and any digital bs.
Obsession with graphics.
Open world games that are open world just for the sake of it and are empty without much to do. MGS5 is a prime example of this and Mad Max.
AAA and hype culture.
Ridiculous cinematic scripted games like Uncharted.
Fucking Life is Strange. Everything about that game.

Games that are very long (+50 is a cutting line for me).
Games with a lot of padding/grinding.
Games with a lot of gameplay choices that I feel like I'm missing content halfway through (though I love it when starting the game, half of the game I'm thinking on how different will be my second playthrough without really even caring about the first one, then drop it).
Any type of censoring.
Fumito Ueda's games.

Early in the PS3 gen, I noticed that what pissed me off most was other people in competitive online games that wouldn't help with the objective. They would go off and try to do the lone wolf thing only to make our team loose the match. Happened nearly every time. I actually got so sick of it that I stopped buying competitive online games all together as I just wasn't having fun with them anymore. That's the entire reason for playing games right? That pretty much meant no more FPS games in general. Destiny was the first FPS game I bought since I think 2009 before it released and that was to play co-op with my brother. You can imagine what I think of games like Fortnite and PubG. I tried them... discovered what they were... now won't touch them.

Ridiculous cinematic scripted games like Uncharted.

Aww man... That's my favorite series.

Last edited:
Aww man... That's my favorite series.
Favorite series? Above Shenmue? :LOL: Jk. It's cool.

I tried man. I played Uncharted 1 through 4 and they just didn't do it for me. For games where people praise the exploration they felt too scripted without much complexity and variety. The combat sections were cool and i liked the story but when it comes to the walking around and exploring parts? They didn't jive with me. However to Uncharted 4's credit I did like the sections of it that were more open and had more exploration on big environments. If the future Uncharted go this route i would really love them. I heard the U4 DLC game had more of this?

Favorite series? Above Shenmue? :LOL: Jk. It's cool.

I tried man. I played Uncharted 1 through 4 and they just didn't do it for me. For games where people praise the exploration they felt too scripted without much complexity and variety. The combat sections were cool and i liked the story but when it comes to the walking around and exploring parts? They didn't jive with me. However to Uncharted 4's credit I did like the sections of it that were more open and had more exploration on big environments. If the future Uncharted go this route i would really love them. I heard the U4 DLC game had more of this?

Yep. The first half of Lost Legacy is pretty open.

Look, we don't have to agree on every game that we enjoy. Odds of that happening are slim to nil. What we can do... that apparently many can't on the internet... is respect each other.

I wish more people could communicate differing opinions in a civil manner these days. Glad to find it here at the Shenmue Dojo.

Yep. The first half of Lost Legacy is pretty open.

Look, we don't have to agree on every game that we enjoy. Odds of that happening are slim to nil. What we can do... that apparently many can't on the internet... is respect each other.

I wish more people could communicate differing opinions in a civil manner these days. Glad to find it here at the Shenmue Dojo.
Cannot agree more. Lots of gamers on the internet are so incredibly immature on different opinions. I have gotten so much shit about Shenmue on other forums and reddit. People telling me the games i like are objectively bad or ''trash'' or whatever. It's absolutely ridiculous. And yes the Shenmue Dojo has much more mature audience. Maybe more mature group of people cause we getting up there in age heh. :ROFLMAO:

Back