Sonic the Hedgehog thread

I have always said Sonic games are unfairly criticised and I stick by that. The majority of the games are never as bad as some people make them out to be. Personally, I just think people refuse to accept Sonic as anything other than a 2D sprite.

Some don't hit the highest highs, but I rarely play a Sonic game and come away from them thinking I just played a bad game. Sonic just seems to be an easy target for people to mock, even if it's unjustified.

As for the new game, they need to bring back the Chao Garden. Sega have sat on them and done nothing since Sonic Adventure 2. They are incredibly popular amongst the fans and they could bring a ton of replayability to Sonic games, like they did with Sonic Adventure 1 and 2.
Don't get me wrong, the Sonic Adventure games and Generations were ok. The other Sonic games went from mediocre to horrible. I've played most having grown up on Sonic from the 16bit days... hoping that one is good and not just ok.

Enemy design looks neat, seems they are trying to mix up Sonic’s move set to fit this style of game more…but with so many games like Forces and Boom in recent years, I think I’ll simply have to wait for reviews, and mostly by players rather than journos.

lol just saw this on Twitter.

Literally looks like they have taken PSO2 New Genesis and slapped Sonic into it :p Not a complaint per say. I've played the shit out of PSO 2, but only played NGS for like 20 hours, and even then it's still very jarring. Hopefully the full reveal will show off some additional zones which have a lot of variation. Looking forward to it!

I'm not as negative as most when it comes to modern Sonic games, but Frontiers has me concerned.

First off, open world, I'm not a fan of that. Sega have obviously got it in their head that empty looking open worlds is what everybody wants right now. They did the same with Phantasy Star, and it's been a mess for nearly a year because they don't seem to know how to make an open world game. It also feels like they are jumping on this open world bandwagon too late. It just feels like they want their own Genshin with Phantasy Star and Zelda: Breath of the Wild with Sonic.

Secondly, they seem very reluctant to actually show anything. Even in that teaser, there wasn't much to be seen.......and this game is supposed to release at the end of the year? That is a major red flag for me.

I'm not as negative as most when it comes to modern Sonic games, but Frontiers has me concerned.

First off, open world, I'm not a fan of that. Sega have obviously got it in their head that empty looking open worlds is what everybody wants right now. They did the same with Phantasy Star, and it's been a mess for nearly a year because they don't seem to know how to make an open world game. It also feels like they are jumping on this open world bandwagon too late. It just feels like they want their own Genshin with Phantasy Star and Zelda: Breath of the Wild with Sonic.

Secondly, they seem very reluctant to actually show anything. Even in that teaser, there wasn't much to be seen.......and this game is supposed to release at the end of the year? That is a major red flag for me.
According to IGN (fucking hate them), they will be showing off something every day of June with Sonic. The full reveal of the first gameplay footage is is tomorrow at 5PM BST. That will be interesting to see. The game was supposed to release last year, so you'd assume they will have a bunch of stuff ready to show at this point.

Yeh PSO2 NGS is such a shame tbh. Went from having soo much stuff to do in PSO2, to having nothing to do in NGS lol.

On a plus, I do like the look of the screenshots from Sonic Frontiers. They do show a lot more variety. I hope it runs well also, as I recall the first trailer struggling in the fps front.

I don't hate it exactly, but I'm still not feeling it either. Maybe I'll be more interested when they show a proper level instead of the open world hub? I also can't help but feel the visuals have suffered a lot because of the Switch version even though they're (presumably) showing us the PC or PS5/Series X version. It has that desaturated and "washed out" look that I've noticed a lot of Switch games have. Again, this is probably because we haven't seen proper level segments yet, but visually this seems like a pretty big drop from the boost games imo.

On a plus, I do like the look of the screenshots from Sonic Frontiers. They do show a lot more variety.
This is probably a stupid question, but could I ask where you're viewing these screenshots?

I don't hate it exactly, but I'm still not feeling it either. Maybe I'll be more interested when they show a proper level instead of the open world hub? I also can't help but feel the visuals have suffered a lot because of the Switch version even though they're (presumably) showing us the PC or PS5/Series X version. It has that desaturated and "washed out" look that I've noticed a lot of Switch games have. Again, this is probably because we haven't seen proper level segments yet, but visually this seems like a pretty big drop from the boost games imo.

This is probably a stupid question, but could I ask where you're viewing these screenshots?
Sure. I'm not sure if they are new or old, but the article link to IGN showed up on my twitter. Has a few screenshots there that look pretty good! The first image has a GameAwards watermark, so they might be from last year. They still seem to be part of the hub world, so here's hoping they show off some more stuff tomorrow. Would be good if the whole game wasn't open world, and just the hub was, with entrances to each level, kinda like Sonic Adventure.

I never liked 3D Sonic. Makes me dizzy.

But I like how this seems.

I like the idea of a kind of "wider" level design that has some platforming challenges, and maybe the same with a smaller hub world, but I also agree in that open world is a bit overdone. There's a lot of focus on "time playing" vs "time enjoying", IMO, but that could also be personal fatigue. It just feels like someone makes a game, copies and pastes it 10x, and then bam, open world game.

I'll still keep an open mind and hope there's a bigger chunk of gameplay shown soon, like @Sheephead mentioned. I don't think I need to see something new every day of June, but want to get a feel for the gameplay loop. My personal concern is that 3D Sonic games still kind of play themselves. I still had fun with a few of the early 3D games, but I think Heroes was the last one I played.

Just watched the gameplay reveal.........I really don't know what I am looking at. I seems like one of those 3D open area fan made projects that are never completed. It also has some horrible pop in and frame drops.

If this game comes out this year, I will be really shocked. It looks nowhere near ready. At this point, it would be a stretch to even call it a game in it's current state.

The gameplay reveal is rather lame for me. Does not really look like a decent Sonic 3d game like Sonic Adventures for the good old Dreamcast. It rather looks like your average empty open-world game with Sonic.

I will never understand why every dev on the world wants to make that empty open world games now. That is beyond my comprehension.

The gameplay reveal is rather lame for me. Does not really look like a decent Sonic 3d game like Sonic Adventures for the good old Dreamcast. It rather looks like your average empty open-world game with Sonic.

I will never understand why every dev on the world wants to make that empty open world games now. That is beyond my comprehension.
I blame the reaction to Zelda: Breath of the Wild. The game got a pass because it's a Zelda game, but that game is one of the most boring, empty, open world games I have ever played. If it was a random new ip, nobody would rate it highly. Now a ton of companies are looking for that same reaction with their game, but they don't share the Zelda name, so they won't get the rose tinted glasses reaction that Zelda games received.

Something about this feels and looks weird.
This kinda looks like some fan tried to make a Sonic mod with a Halo map editor?
The style of the typical Sonic elements and the game world look doesnt match.
This is like a 3D model of Mario running around in the world of Elden Ring.
And the 'realistic' style of the world doesnt even look good. Pop ups everywhere, there are big parts of nothing
and some random slides and platforms. I dont know, for now it looks like some very basic average game.

I'm happy for the people into this, but I hope this isn't the end of linear 3D Sonic. What really sucks regarding the massively inflated development times of modern gaming is that the last 3D Sonic that really appealed to me, Generations, was over a decade ago now. And yet, there was only one game (Forces) in that timespan.

All you need is one dud now, and it's an entire decade wasted. And since this doesn't look like my cup of tea... Fucking hell, who knows when the next 3D Sonic will come out.

Last edited:
Looks like a bland tech demo. Sonic Team is the only video game company I genuinely hope gets closed down. I'm a long term sonic fan and the last game I completed was Sonic Mania which and Sonic Adventure 2 prior to that. How a company can get away with consistently turning out poor trash which show an obvious lack of ideas, skill, creativity and execution is beyond me.

I'm happy for the people into this, but I hope this isn't the end of linear 3D Sonic. What really sucks regarding the massively inflated development times of modern gaming is that the last 3D Sonic that really appealed to me, Generations, was over a decade ago now. And yet, there was only game (Forces) in that timespan.

All you need is one dud now, and it's an entire decade wasted. And since this doesn't look like my cup of tea... Fucking hell, who knows when the next 3D Sonic will come out.
I have the same fears with the future of linear 3D Sonic games, and I also fear for the future of Phantasy Star Online games no longer being focused on dungeons. Sega are taking 2 of my favourite series and turning them into a genre I have never really been that fond of. There are very few open world games I really like.

If Sonic Team messes this up they should probably be completely rebuilt. A third party could do wonders for this series at this point.

Looks like a bland tech demo. Sonic Team is the only video game company I genuinely hope gets closed down. I'm a long term sonic fan and the last game I completed was Sonic Mania which and Sonic Adventure 2 prior to that. How a company can get away with consistently turning out poor trash which show an obvious lack of ideas, skill, creativity and execution is beyond me.
Sonic Mania is excellent and it’s sad Sega somehow didn’t see that, since there’s no sequel. Can’t say the same for any recent Sonic Team Sonic releases, including stuff as “recent” as Sonic Adventure.

Back