Shenmue III - Fighting Talk (Non-Spoiler)

I came back home earlier than orignaly planned so I could Play the game yesterday for the first time. I have just seen the first fight with the bookie and I cannot complain much about the fighting system much. Feels different than the fighting of 1 and 2 but it still fits in the lore of the Shenmue universe I think. In a manner of speaking the figthing is harder now than it was in the past. Because the Energy is refreshing anymore. And it also seems you cannot consume items during the fight???

So you have to be much more strategic than you have to be in the past. Failing a few times in the first figh and the need to practise at the kung fu hall was quite a nice Feeling. A big difference compared to the first Shenmue, were every fight before the fight against the great Chai in the Arcarde were rather simplistic.
I think you can buy the Snake Drink form Tao's Shop for 300 which you can use to replenish your health in battle? I've yet to try it.

Ok thanks for the advice. I will try it Tonight when I play it again.
Don't waste your game money on that not worth it. Just learn to play the game.
In around 9 hours you will get use to it. It's not really complex.
Just focus on blocking and evading and use technique when there is an opening.
Or Try to break the enemy defence then do combo or Strong special move.
Use money to buy food instead for training.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the fighting in this game at all. I've actually debated switching to easy, because it feels like all I'm doing is grinding for endurance until I can take enough punches to survive through the fight.

It feels like roaming around for a million random battles in an RPG just to level up, and detracts from my trying to enjoy the story and the investigative side of things.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the fighting in this game at all. I've actually debated switching to easy, because it feels like all I'm doing is grinding for endurance until I can take enough punches to survive through the fight.

It feels like roaming around for a million random battles in an RPG just to level up, and detracts from my trying to enjoy the story and the investigative side of things.
What matters is mastering moves. To be honest, Endurance don't make a big difference.
Mastering moves increase Strength and total damage of the move. Elbow strike when mastered can break enemy defense.

What matters is mastering moves. To be honest, Endurance don't make a big difference.
Mastering moves increase Strength and total damage of the move. Elbow strike when mastered can break enemy defense.

I've mastered all the moves I've got, and I've got a few extra too. I've found endurance to make a bigger difference.

My point is that it feels like a grind rather than a progression - I've spent at least a third of my playtime so far training and walking between the training area and the place where I lose the fight.

@code l name and @danielmann861 Is there anything I need to do for Tao to start selling the Sweeping Kick? It's not for sale (yet?) in my game.

It should be there right from the beginning. It was there in the demo on day 2 and it was pretty much the first move I bought in the game when I started buying stuff. I think it's called Ground Kick from memory and it's like 228 Yuan

But yeah, buy that move as it gives you both an unexpected low attack and it also gives you a low attack to chip away at their health when you ground them.

It's one of the most useful moves I've found in the game and an absolute must in my opinion.

It should be there right from the beginning. It was there in the demo on day 2 and it was pretty much the first move I bought in the game when I started buying stuff. I think it's called Ground Kick from memory and it's like 228 Yuan

But yeah, buy that move as it gives you both an unexpected low attack and it also gives you a low attack to chip away at their health when you ground them.

It's one of the most useful moves I've found in the game and an absolute must in my opinion.

Ah never mind, I already have that move and have it mastered. My apologies, I thought you meant a different move.

Removed - Sorry folks...forgot which forum I was in. Thought we were in the Spoiler forum. Apologies. My Bad

Last edited:
I didnt buy any moves, no Ground Kick / Leg Sweep.
i traded some of the prices for moves, like 3 or 4 and mastered them but the damage is pretty low.
As i said, the Elbow Blow or whatever its called only reduces one and a half bubbles health of the dojo master
and everything else does less damage or the moves are so slow / have such a long animation
that he will interrupt me. I tried it about 30 times with saving and loading because of stamina
and sometimes i can get him down to 30% and sometimes the fight is over after 5 seconds.
Sometimes i can get him in a loop where he cant handle the triangle and circle spam
but the damage is so low that its not really worth it. Hitting him with that button spam reduces his health after
30 seconds to 2/3 but he only need three kicks to reduce my health to 1/3.
Elbow Blow works but you have to stay pretty near and after 2-3 missed moves, the fight is pretty much over for me.

I use the elbow assault to destroy their defense then do a combo or use another strong move.
The game is easy once you get the hang of it. But then fighting becomes too repetitive.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like the combat is just naked without any throw moves? Ryo is a jiujitsu artist so his fighting should be based on grabs, holds, and throws. What happened? Yu Suzuki could not have forgotten about this.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like the combat is just naked without any throw moves? Ryo is a jiujitsu artist so his fighting should be based on grabs, holds, and throws. What happened? Yu Suzuki could not have forgotten about this.

Budget....that's what happened. They probably tested but either couldn't get the animations down or were just having troubles implementing them to a degree that felt satisfactory so they cut them. The whole game is very much punching above its weight and it shows. I'm impressed they pulled it off as well as they have, but the budget very much shows. There's no way this game cost more than 10-12 million at best. And that's sweet fuck all in this day and age of Hollywood sized budgets.

I'd love to know the full story though as why they couldn't implement them though. Or what went wrong there. I have to imagine they at least experimented with them. Probably just the system wasn't up to scratch and probably would have taken more money to build further.

I miss true counters more than anything. I miss swallow flip a whole bunch. But I don't think it's entirely terrible. I just think it's what happens when you make a game as ambitious as this with a low budget.

Last edited:
Please don't post spoiler videos... This is the Non-Spoiler part of the forum.

Sorry i forgot which forum we were in. My bad. I thought I was still in the Spoiler forum and forgot this was in the Non Spoiler forum since I'm floating between both.

It's now removed entirely.

That is one of the main cons of this game animations. Throws moves were the best and most important moves in my opinion. I miss Machine gun fist, Arm Break fire and Tiger storm. I used those moves a lot...
Worse is they removed some moves that were taught as part of the story in Shenmue including Demon Triangle which is the move you never use in story mode since you suppose to use it on a future game. Even through you could use it on Shenmue II battle mode.

I miss true counters more than anything. I miss swallow flip a whole bunch. But I don't think it's entirely terrible. I just think it's what happens when you make a game as ambitious as this with a low budget.

Does Counter Elbow Assault really work as more of a "counter" move than Elbow Assault in this game? To me it all seems to depend on timing just as any other move 🤷‍♂️

Ok i managed to beat the last dojo guy on hard with elbow counter and leg kick.
I did it with the bait method and then tried to backup immediately
but still sometimes i got stuck in a loop where he wouldnt stop attacking and i couldnt dodge that often
or where he immediately blocked my elbow attack although he was still in a attack animation.
A couple of times he even stood completely open with his back to me and he still managed to block my attack
because his block animation turned his body to Ryo's direction immediately ...
So its still kind of wonky in terms of hitboxes and animations but i beat him.

At this time, I am having a hard time wjth the fighting compared to the last 2 games but I understand why it wasn't possible due to limitations with the virtua fighter engine in Shenmue III. It seems like rather than long fights, the purpose is to master a few moves and find openings while increasing your stats. QTEs seem more focused how quickly you push the buttons.

I am playing on normal and have been beaten often even with training.

Back