Shenmue III - Fighting Talk (Non-Spoiler)

It took me a while to grasp, but the combat has grown on me. It has some very Tekken-lite qualities to it. Ryo can string all of his attacks together into other attacks Tekken/Mortal Kombat dial-a-combo style so there's big combo potential. Some moves are designed to go "crush" other opponents attacks. Like the Ground sweep can outright beat his opponents roundhouse kicks by going under them, and his scissor kick move can beat opponents lows if they try to sweep you(I'm sure there are others that do the same). As some moves knockdown such as Elbow assault it's better to end the combo with them as opposed to using it as an opener. Counter-elbow assault is better at punishment since it's a lead elbow and has less windup than the normal elbow assault.

I quite like that they gave moves more context in how you're supposed to use them situationally. They want you to approach battles a lot more strategically vs Shenmue 1&2 you could just run head first into anyone. Once they bring back throws and parries for Shenmue 4 I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this system.

Yeah, I just feel they should have made it actually impossible, made it like the Chai fight in Shenmue 1 with a different outcome for beating him or as Yokosuka said have a slightly different cutscene.

If what Reprise said is true, they should have at least made two sorts of cutscenes. For instance, if you beat him, the villain eventually throws sand to Ryo's eyes to escape.

Shenmue is not intended to be an RPG but a bit more of rolism would defo make the game better and satisfying.

It is true, i won both of these fights because i had max horse stance and one inch punch
+ all of the move you can get for trading on master level and it doesnt matter at all,
Ryo cant win because thats how the story was written.
Even if that guy doesnt hit Ryo one single time because you are a good player, the outcome is the same.

I have gotten used to the fighting system almost right away though I had to figure out how manual and auto moves work. It plays like a Fight Night/UFC game. In those games, you hold block to defend (though not too much in this game) and even do so while moving away, and then hit back when there is an opening. If you had played those games, you might have an easier time getting used to it. Using the face buttons for special moves works surprisingly well. Everyone talks about how bad the combat is, but I think it is great. Sure it is not perfect, and the animations are kind of cheap along, but then again it is a budget game and all.

Last edited:
In the meantime I got into the combat system a bit better and I like it better now. I am still the opinion that the combat is way more unforgiving than the combat in the old games. But this makes the game also more strategic and demanding. Every block and hit counts now.

Reminds me a bit of Bushido Blade were one hit could decide the battle already.

Sorry didn't intend to come across patronising. Just thought I'd offer a suggestion to help make the game feel less grindy hence the reason I prefixed the suggestions with the word maybe after the first sentence of my post. Anyhow enjoy the game.

That's fair, maybe I read it wrong. Sorry about that.

I have been enjoying the game outside of the grind, and hopefully that'll continue.

I like the fighting system, but with my curent experience with it I can't see it offering 1 on 1 battles that last for over 1 minute... Nothing like Master Baihu from the previous game.

One thing I will complment it on is I've found navigating my target in battles with multiple oppopnents much easier!

"Shinbone Smash" is the most powerful thing I've seen in this game.
It floors opponents and even lets you kick the living shit out of them when they're laying down.
If you set in on RT it's absolutely lethal, and if there's a technique risking serious nerfing, that's it.
Can't really remember where I acquired it among the 30-ish skill books I collected

Is there not a move list or is it just the skill books? I thought all the old moves were returning?

Also, Sun taught me a new move, but it doesn't seem to appear as a skill book. Can I not improve its level by sparring or do I just do that by doing the move in fights?

Is there not a move list or is it just the skill books? I thought all the old moves were returning?

Also, Sun taught me a new move, but it doesn't seem to appear as a skill book. Can I not improve its level by sparring or do I just do that by doing the move in fights?

I mean, if you go to the ‘Skill Book’ tab, it lists all of the moves that you have in your repertoire.

Also, I’m pretty sure that move is only for story purposes, i.e. it can only be used in QTEs.

I notice the game is more difficult now than in the demo they did some changes.
As well it sucks that when you block you still lose HP making block kind of useless against strong enemies.

The fighting system is absolutely awful, i think the game in general has been pretty shit, only a few hours in but i might just watch a playthrough instead of suffering through it

Dont do that. Bailu is slow paced yes, but Naiowu city is great and viewing it through a vid doesnt do it justice.
There's also certain easter eggs you wont appreciate just looking at a walkthrough
Love the rendering of food in this game.

Dont do that. Bailu is slow paced yes, but Naiowu city is great and viewing it through a vid doesnt do it justice.
There's also certain easter eggs you wont appreciate just looking at a walkthrough
Love the rendering of food in this game.

I second that, watching a playthrough is a bad idea. Yes Bailu is very slow but now I wish I took my time with it and it does get much better. I am just now starting to get the fighting system though I am still having a hard time against multiple opponents.

I second that, watching a playthrough is a bad idea. Yes Bailu is very slow but now I wish I took my time with it and it does get much better. I am just now starting to get the fighting system though I am still having a hard time against multiple opponents.

Yeah I took my time with Bailu so I have no problem against opponents

I get the feeling I'm near the end of Bailu, but I really like the combat system, much more than I thought I would.

Yes I miss throw moves but I really enjoy the levelling up, sparring and fighting interlocking systems.

Most of the scroll moves have been pretty bad ass too, I mean, landing a well timed spinning back fist on a charging in apponent and downing him in one hit feels pretty awesome. There's a huge emphasis on timing and spacing and I appreciate that.

The fighting is really starting to click with me now; I've bought and mastered a few skill books, and I'm starting to understand now that the emphasis is on well-timed brutal attacks over button mashing. That's not to say there isn't room for just wailing on them with some jabs now and again too!

I have zero real life experience of any form of martial art, but I've watched a few karate and tae kwon do competitions on youtube, and it's eerily similar to how a fight in Shenmue 3 plays out; the shuffling around, the tentative few punches, the luring if your opponent and then the unleashing of force when they leave themselves open.
I really think Suzuki has played a blinder here. He's created a system that balances RPG style progression and player technique; it feels like you have to train to stand a chance, but you also can't just rely on stats to do the work. At least on normal difficulty, you really need to know what you're doing to beat a strong opponent.

The fighting is really starting to click with me now; I've bought and mastered a few skill books, and I'm starting to understand now that the emphasis is on well-timed brutal attacks over button mashing. That's not to say there isn't room for just wailing on them with some jabs now and again too!

I have zero real life experience of any form of martial art, but I've watched a few karate and tae kwon do competitions on youtube, and it's eerily similar to how a fight in Shenmue 3 plays out; the shuffling around, the tentative few punches, the luring if your opponent and then the unleashing of force when they leave themselves open.
I really think Suzuki has played a blinder here. He's created a system that balances RPG style progression and player technique; it feels like you have to train to stand a chance, but you also can't just rely on stats to do the work. At least on normal difficulty, you really need to know what you're doing to beat a strong opponent.

I completely agree with you. I miss throws but overall this fighting system once you learn it surpasses shenmue 1 and 2 by quite a bit. I never understood why people think shenmue 1 and 2 combat is that great you can literally spam attacks and win. Shenmue 3 is about progression and well timed attacks. It’s far far better.

That all being said, I do miss the throws haha next time, Suzuki! I want to unleash Demon's Triangle again!
Demon Triangle is about a Combo move.
I have no idea why they didn't add it as they did with Counter Elbow.
Since is just a combo and hit move.

Back