Shenmue III - Fighting Talk (Non-Spoiler)

Have you managed to get Counter Elbow Assault to "work" in Shenmue 3 yet? I haven't :(
Counter Elbow Assault "Does" Not Work as in the past games were it was a throw move with Unique animations.
Now is just a strike move like elbow assault but slightly faster.
If you are talking about the "Slow Down Event" That happens when you on low HP and press the directional trigger twice to evade attack.

Nah I'm talking about Ryo properly countering an opponent's move. It's a shame it doesn't work properly because it was so useful in Shenmue 2

Nah I'm talking about Ryo properly countering an opponent's move. It's a shame it doesn't work properly because it was so useful in Shenmue 2
Well... In this game the counter is that you hit enemy before he does to you...
It's not as mega-cool like in the past games were it would do an animation..
Shenmue III lacks counters and Throw moves.

Counter Elbow Assault "Does" Not Work as in the past games were it was a throw move with Unique animations.
Now is just a strike move like elbow assault but slightly faster.
If you are talking about the "Slow Down Event" That happens when you on low HP and press the directional trigger twice to evade attack.

Wait... how the fuck do you do all that awesome slow-mo shit? It looks awesome. Do you just dodge to the right or left at the right time and pull off a move?

Wait... how the fuck do you do all that awesome slow-mo shit? It looks awesome. Do you just dodge to the right or left at the right time and pull off a move?
1) You need low HP
2) Press right right or left left before getting hit.

This is why Shenmue 1 & 2 combat is superior and mega-cool.

After watching those videos now you understand?
I agree that Shenmue 1&2, by virtue of having throws and more defensive options, has better combat than 3. However I also think that 3's combat system has a lot of potential from what I've played so far; I think we're only just scratching the surface and I'm extremely excited for what can be added in Shenmue 4!

This is why Shenmue 1 & 2 combat is superior and mega-cool.

After watching those videos now you understand?

I’ve played shenmue 1 and 2 countless times since they were released. The combat is not that great it was always my least favourite thing you can get through shenmue 2 with iron palm spamming. At least 3 there is some challenge

I’ve played shenmue 1 and 2 countless times since they were released. The combat is not that great it was always my least favourite thing you can get through shenmue 2 with iron palm spamming. At least 3 there is some challenge
Did you saw the videos?
Shenmue 1 & 2 depended on the player skill to be enjoyable. If you just spam a move instead of properly timing counters, performing throw moves combinations and linking unique skills into an unique combo I can see why you didn't find it enjoyable..
Did you actually fight Izumi? or played level 16 in battle mode?
Yu made the game main story easier to appease to more people. Even though I think this was a mistake but this is a difficult issue not a game engine issue.

I completely agree with you. I miss throws but overall this fighting system once you learn it surpasses shenmue 1 and 2 by quite a bit. I never understood why people think shenmue 1 and 2 combat is that great you can literally spam attacks and win. Shenmue 3 is about progression and well timed attacks. It’s far far better.

well yeah but to be fair, its still based on the Virtua Fighter engine. Its just that when those games were being made, VF3 was also being made and came out in 1996. Virtua Fighter 4 came out after Shenmue 2, so Shenmue did not benefit from the improvements in design Virtua Fighter 4 had over Virtua Fighter 3.

So people were looking forward to a Shenmue 3 that could replicate or even improve upon what Virtua Fighter 4 and Virtua Fighter 5 had established since 2006 (when Virtua Fighter 5 came out) and through to 2012 (VF 5 Final Showdown)

In a proper VF, against a worthy opponent, there is no button mashing. I mean you could try it, like Tekken, but you'll lose.

Did you saw the videos?
Shenmue 1 & 2 depended on the player skill to be enjoyable. If you just spam a move instead of properly timing counters, performing throw moves combinations and linking unique skills into an unique combo I can see why you didn't find it enjoyable..
Did you actually fight Izumi? or played level 16 in battle mode?
Yu made the game main story easier to appease to more people. Even though I think this was a mistake but this is a difficult issue not a game engine issue.

Yes I’ve seen the videos I’ve also done everything in shenmue 1 and 2 including fighting Izumi and gotten depth out of the combat. I still think it is weak as I can just win not by fighting well but fighting cheaply

Demon Triangle is about a Combo move.
I have no idea why they didn't add it as they did with Counter Elbow.
Since is just a combo and hit move.
Demons triangle is a thrown move.

Yes I’ve seen the videos I’ve also done everything in shenmue 1 and 2 including fighting Izumi and gotten depth out of the combat. I still think it is weak as I can just win not by fighting well but fighting cheaply
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like your issue is less with the combat itself and more with how the difficulty of the opponents was tuned.

Reactions: Ren
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like your issue is less with the combat itself and more with how the difficulty of the opponents was tuned.

Bit of both. I’ve always thought shenmue 1 and 2 combat was clunky at times even if you can pull cool combos off. Shenmue to me has always been about everything else the combat is just a vehicle to drive the story and exploration.

"Shinbone Smash" is the most powerful thing I've seen in this game.
It floors opponents and even lets you kick the living shit out of them when they're laying down.
If you set in on RT it's absolutely lethal, and if there's a technique risking serious nerfing, that's it.
Can't really remember where I acquired it among the 30-ish skill books I collected

Yup, it's even better than Ground Kick since you can use it standing too. Harder opponents will raise their leg to block it, though. A combination of that, Tiger Thigh, and either Thunder Palm or Twin Palm Fury should be enough.

I maxed out Attack and the end of the game was pretty easy, even on Hard. That said, the combat system is one of the positives for me even if I am ultimately disappointed with the game. One thing that would have made it better was if dojo fights raised your Attack meter as well.

Yes, by now I've finished the game at "Hardest" and although the combat system doesn't get as deep as S1/S2 (and I consider GodHand the best hand-to-hand system I've ever seen, even if it's a different kind of game) I found it quite enjoyable.
Especially against single opponents, it was nice to get in and out of range, managing the blocking bar, punishing the opponents on their recovery time windows with fast jab combo starters, and going for more damaging stuff when they're stunned..
Against many opponents at once, on the other side, it gets VERY chaotic and couldn't really get along with the new target-lock system.

Last edited:
Anyone else end up not using the face buttons? I would cycle between my favourite scrolls with LB and RB and found that both fun and effective.

Back