Shenmue HD ModTools v1.2 (now with filenames)

EPIC playable Beta Yamanose, sort of.. not exactly

I found the GZ/PKS containing Yamanose in the PC disk.tad (by finding its Dreamcast Duplicate file size)
I found the MT5 for Beta Yamanose (Its a big MT5 and Shenmunity confirmed file size)yamd.jpg
I opened the GZ with 7Zip, Extracted the PKS
Opened the PKS with IPAC Browser
Renamed Beta Yamanose (872.mt5) to MAP.MAP and replaced the existing map.map(normal yama)
Re-saved the PKS, Re-saved the GZ
Replaced the GZ with ShenmueHDModtools
Exported mini BetaYama.tad/tac to mods folder (Really Epic BTW)
Played game and this happened
yam.png
yam2.png
The BetaYama Textures are contained within the BetaYama MT5 file, the game is looking for textures in a PKF file, the original yama textures are named differently and so dont work here. Even if I extracted the PVR textures from the MT5
1) Its unlikely to have the correct file name
2)There is no tool to repack PKF texture archives
A PKF texture Tool might be essential for texture mods,

The BetaYama model is a complete Model, the Normal Yama model seperates building/trees/windows .maps
It still uses the original level collision the 'MapInfo.BIN/SCN' (map collision+charater commands) I should be able to find and replace it, but theres not much point to that right now. MapInfo modification is possible (objects and characters can be placed) but for a true level editor a MapInfo tool will be essentail

I did something similar to this for the Dreamcast version, In the Lan Di Game Intro, the House is slightly different (windows opposite dojo) and the Gates that Ryo walks through have round posts, in the main game they are square (just to save game memory) I replaced the INTRO house map with the Game house map and It worked like this too, also an important note is that the Game also loads Multiple Maps in 1 scene, the House map will be the same but the ground will swap depending on the weather (eg snow floor map/Summer floor map)

If an MT5 model exporter is ever created we could totally change the look of the game :).. could set it in Paris or something :D

Last edited:
What a NICE FIND ReeceMix! Wow, imagine all the different things that are in there. I remember watching some videos with some places being in different parts of town and stuff, but it was years ago.

Anyways, very nice find.

Last edited:
I can not download it.
Please

Nice tools!!

I Changed some things with your tools. AM2 logo and Yu Suzuki signature (low res), original Dreamcast Shenmue logo. New Timex wristwatch (WIP, original included, but it cuts it wrong) and alarm clock.

Edit: Updated with the new dds texture names. New Coca Cola can texture.
Download: Shenmue textures

I can not download it.
Please

Try to download this created with the new "Export Mod Container" feature, you must put in inside the "mods" folder.

I deleted the wristwatch because I didn't like it.

Download: Mods

Hey guys,
new version 1.2 is ready for download!
It is now possible to get the filenames from the hashes inside the TAD files ;)

https://github.com/derplayer/ShenmueHDTools/releases/

Changelog:
* Added filename extraction from hashes (Filename Database)
* Added database loading, saving and fetching
* Added editable category and description to keep track of files and there usage
* Added shell context menu to TAD file list (right click on any row to activate)
* Added loading bars
* Added search for finding specific files by hash or filename
* File selection for modexport is now also forceable over UI
* New clean and easy UI
* Changed underlying code and data structures
* Changed ".shdcache" file to ".cache file" (shdcache support included)

example_1.png

One question, it is possible to take the VF2 capsule Toys models and swap them for the 4 Kowloon Fighters that are based on VF characters?

Does this tool allow you to access the character textures? I unpacked all the .tac files and looked at all the resulting .dds files and didn't see any that looked like the actual character skins (for if I wanted to, for example, draw a silly mustache on Ryo). Or maybe there are actually there somewhere and I am just unobservant. =P

Last edited:
By

MT7 work is very cool but By 'Import' do you mean adding custom models or swapping existing models?
Swapping, but in future maybe more

One question, it is possible to take the VF2 capsule Toys models and swap them for the 4 Kowloon Fighters that are based on VF characters?

Sure why not, but it isn't trivial (for now at least)

Does this tool allow you to access the character textures? I unpacked all the .tac files and looked at all the resulting .dds files and didn't see any that looked like the actual character skins (for if I wanted to, for example, draw a silly mustache on Ryo). Or maybe there are actually there somewhere and I am just unobservant. =P
Yes, but only with the newest version v1.3 that is in development right now. But you can get the source code and compile it yourself for now. You didn't saw any character textures, because they're not in DDS format but in original dreamcast texture format/s in disc tac.

1547271136398.png

Thanks very much for this software.
MT7 files are model and texture files, am i correct? How do i extract this files?

Windows defender detects it as a virus.
Edit: i know its a false positive though

Last edited:
Im stuck in this part: * Select a tad/tac file that you want to open

extracted some textures but where are the 3d models?

and I cant open this disk_5be2c4e2.tac

its 4gb in size, I assume this is where the stuff I want is!

Last edited:
please help me extract models, Im student of adobe software and I want to practice with Shenmue resources
rebuilding models and textures with PS and vector art!

Hello I am new to modding and I am hoping someone could explain in a little bit more detail what this tool does. I did open a tac file in the archive folder in sm1 but I closed it as I didn't understand what it was that I was looking at.

Hello I am new to modding and I am hoping someone could explain in a little bit more detail what this tool does. I did open a tac file in the archive folder in sm1 but I closed it as I didn't understand what it was that I was looking at.
Shenmue shouldn't be the first stop for newcomers at modding. Specially with this advanced tool which requires knowledge in VS.
Anyways, here is explained everything about its working:
. https://github.com/derplayer/ShenmueHDTools/wiki

. https://github.com/derplayer/ShenmueHDTools/wiki/FAQ

. Thread 'Shenmue HD ModTools v1.2 (now with filenames)' https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/shenmue-hd-modtools-v1-2-now-with-filenames.366/

A good places for starters are Doom and Quake mapping, and Resident Evil classics (123 not remakes) skin editing. All of those has a easier learning curve and videotutorials with great quality.

Shenmue shouldn't be the first stop for newcomers at modding. Specially with this advanced tool which requires knowledge in VS.
Anyways, here is explained everything about its working:
. https://github.com/derplayer/ShenmueHDTools/wiki

. https://github.com/derplayer/ShenmueHDTools/wiki/FAQ

. Thread 'Shenmue HD ModTools v1.2 (now with filenames)' https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/shenmue-hd-modtools-v1-2-now-with-filenames.366/

A good places for starters are Doom and Quake mapping, and Resident Evil classics (123 not remakes) skin editing. All of those has a easier learning curve and videotutorials with great quality.

hey thanks for this

I just need to know how to extract the files so I can rework the textures to 4k, I want to use the textures so I can practice photoshop and illustrator

hey thanks for this

I just need to know how to extract the files so I can rework the textures to 4k, I want to use the textures so I can practice photoshop and illustrator
If you just want the textures without later reinjecting the best option for easier use are wudecon for mass extraction, or ninjaripper (x64) for extracting via snapshot per scene. It depends on your needs. My advice is going from low to high, so extracting just Hazuki residence textures first and play with that in your edition software. Ryo's room for example.
Another swiss army knife tool every modder should have is Noesis, this one is compatible with Shenmue DC versions AFS containers, PVR textures, and there is a Python script for MT5 somewhere.

Last edited:
Back