Shenmue HD ModTools v1.2 (now with filenames)

Hello,

I just registered to thank derplayer for the incredible work he has done.
Keep up the good work !

@nero : there's a release button (and section), just above the files list.
Yeah, but on the mobile version of GitHub I couldn't find it... switching to Desktop mode makes it appear clear as day. (y)

There is still a lot of Unknown Files and no file structure

Last edited:
hay so i am looking for help in extracting the vo from shenmue 1 to edit then repack it back in what steps do i need to do

I'm translating Shenmue I in Italian and I'm using your tool to unpack the .tac files. It worked marvelously and I got through the files I needed. I translated the opening cutscene and now I would like to test if everything is working fine, but I can't rebuild the .tac file with the edited .afs file.

It keeps rebuilding the original file without any changes... what I'm doing wrong?

I'm translating Shenmue I in Italian and I'm using your tool to unpack the .tac files. It worked marvelously and I got through the files I needed. I translated the opening cutscene and now I would like to test if everything is working fine, but I can't rebuild the .tac file with the edited .afs file.

It keeps rebuilding the original file without any changes... what I'm doing wrong?

Will look into it, could be maybe a bug

How likely is getting folder structure ?

Once thats possible, on a seperate note we will need a PKF rebuilder to change textures that load from within them (currently the only way to do it is via hexediting PKF by pasting PVR textures in hex form) (PKS contains models and script data, PKF is for textures)

This looks amazing! Funny how the Dreamcast and OG XBOX button icons are still there :D Hoping someone can replace the XB1 buttons with those and the PS4 buttons. Would it be possible with this tool?

Nice tools!!

I Changed some things with your tools. AM2 logo and Yu Suzuki signature (low res), original Dreamcast Shenmue logo. New Timex wristwatch (WIP, original included, but it cuts it wrong) and alarm clock.

Edit: Updated with the new dds texture names. New Coca Cola can texture.
Download: Shenmue textures

Attachments

• Sm1 Screenshot 2018.08.29 - 21.00.25.90.png
    Sm1 Screenshot 2018.08.29 - 21.00.25.90.png
    2 MB · Views: 52
  • Sm1 Screenshot 2018.08.29 - 20.34.51.57.png
    Sm1 Screenshot 2018.08.29 - 20.34.51.57.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Sm1 Screenshot 2018.08.30 - 03.24.04.64.png
    Sm1 Screenshot 2018.08.30 - 03.24.04.64.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 69
  • Sm1 Screenshot 2018.08.30 - 03.37.40.36.png
    Sm1 Screenshot 2018.08.30 - 03.37.40.36.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 66
  • Sm1 Screenshot 2018.08.30 - 03.44.56.35.png
    Sm1 Screenshot 2018.08.30 - 03.44.56.35.png
    210.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Sm1 Screenshot 2018.08.27 - 21.26.24.62.png
    Sm1 Screenshot 2018.08.27 - 21.26.24.62.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
  • Sm1 Screenshot 2018.08.31 - 02.03.49.53.png
    Sm1 Screenshot 2018.08.31 - 02.03.49.53.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 48
  • Sm1 Screenshot 2018.08.31 - 02.04.02.84.png
    Sm1 Screenshot 2018.08.31 - 02.04.02.84.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I've never really looked at Steam files before an update but this time i'm saving every version.
The recent (non-beta) update was only 115Mb , but It's modified (and renamed) most archives , I wonder if the update is done by hexediting chunks of data or if it uses some sort of tad/tac archiver.

Also the Unknown files are the 2nd level of folder data and I reallllly want to have all the extracted files

Last edited:
Just want to say THANK YOU for these tools. I'll be working on Shenmue I HD PT-BR translations and these tools made it possible. AWESOME!!!!

I've never really looked at Steam files before an update but this time i'm saving every version.
The recent (non-beta) update was only 115Mb , but It's modified (and renamed) most archives , I wonder if the update is done by hexediting chunks of data or if it uses some sort of tad/tac archiver.

Also the Unknown files are the 2nd level of folder data and I reallllly want to have all the extracted files
It seems like it. They changed the name of the tad files and the name of the files inside too.

Hey guys, im back with a new feaute. "Dynamic tac/tad file prioritization layering". It is now possible to edit tac/tad containers and export those just with the modified files. That means: Forget about repacking 1GB big files. ;) This works also as an primitive modloader. (overlays the original files, but without modifying those!) It also doesn't need any kind of modification on original files.

I've an little proof of concept mod as attachment.
Just copy the mods folder into the "dx11" folder from Shenmue 1, it should revert the textures to the original Dreamcast textures and show a modified SEGA logo at start.

Release soon. Beta version already in github repository. :sneaky:

Attachments

• sdtextureoverride.zip
    60.6 KB · Views: 43
Looks good. There is not an .exe file for the beta? I'll wait for the relase then!!

It is now possible to edit tac/tad containers and export those just with the modified files. That means: Forget about repacking 1GB big files.

I had some trouble trying to repack tad/tac archives, will it be possible to just create a new tad/tac archive with a bunch of specific models? (for use with Shenmunity, not the actual game)

Okay, the new version is ready, have fun! :cool:
https://github.com/derplayer/ShenmueHDTools/releases/

Changelog:
  • Dynamic tac/tad file prioritization layering support
  • Primitive modloader export
  • New internal data structures (older shdcache incompatible!)
  • Improved File detection
  • UI improvements
  • Bugfixes & other minor changes
How to use the new feature? Simple: Do everything as in the versions before, just at the end press the export button and save your tac/tac where you want.

Just copy the mod that you want to test into the "dx11/mods" folder (create, when not there) from Shenmue, it should revert the textures to the original Dreamcast textures and show a modified SEGA logo at start.

I had some trouble trying to repack tad/tac archives, will it be possible to just create a new tad/tac archive with a bunch of specific models? (for use with Shenmunity, not the actual game)

I don't know how Shenmunity works, but well for the actual game yes. You create tad/tac archives where only the modified files are packed in. So the whole modpack stays small and portable.

Shenmunity (so im told) reads all achives for model data, so a sperate unique tad/tac should be readable. I tried deleting a bunch of files, to repack a small tad/tac with v1.01, but I got an error and it didnt work. (replacing a model wont work right now because I wont be able to find the model I replaced in unity (yet)

Im hoping I can remove the main archives and just have custom 'model data' tad/tac archives so I can quickly identify the models I want to view, (even then im not sure if shenmuniy opens pks/pkf files or if it just finds the currently viewable extractable extention MT5.model) model conversion is still another issue and it would probabally be simpler to wait for an updated MT5converter

EDIT: update for unknown files actually compressed PKS/F
I just did a quick comparison and found the main Doubuita PKS/F

Some PKS/PKF are contained within simple compressed files (their filename says PKS/F but they are actually .gz i think) this currently shows why ShenmueModTools isnt identifying all of the PKS/PKF.
View attachment 1127
IPAC Browser opens both compressed & uncompressed PKS files

Last edited:
Thats very cool, It really works and it's easier than before.

AM2, Yu Suzuki (Low Res) and original Shenmue logos (Language Settings: English): Original Logos

Last edited:
Back