Random Thoughts

I had a falling out with my boss a few weeks ago and one of the things we have been arguing about is certain terminology or the way things are said. There was an incident at work and the below statement was made over email and I want to get your opinion on it.

It’s already 20 days since the incident happened.

With the above statement, would you read that as 20 days since the incident was fixed or 20 days since it started?

Honestly, could go either way, it isn't specific enough and I'm leaning more towards when it began, without reference to a specific resolution there.

I'd agree with the two above that it means since it ended. When you say "its been XX years since World War 2 happened" you use 1945, the year it ended, to calculate the XX part, not the year it began.

@Mittens2317 @Truck_1_0_1_ @xatruio @Rakim

So, the reason I asked was - I got an email from a partner saying "blah blah blah, when can we expect this as
It’s already 20 days since the incident happened".

It was, at the time, 20 days since the problem started. My boss messaged me back saying how I should challenge back and let them know that it has not been 20 days, it's been less as we should only count working days and from the incident stopped.

Now, I know what the person meant I think it'll come across very petty to point out the above especially when we all know what he was talking about and what time period. Also, who only counts working days (unless stated) when pointing how how long it has been since x?

It's making sleep almost impossible. How the fuck do the people living in tropical climates manage it!?
I come to that thread to talk about how hot it is, and the first page has the exact topic I'm looking for. Wow.

Wasted quite an amount of hours migrating an adgame from vuforia to arcore, only to find out that supported arcore devices are stupidly low.
Feeling pretty stupid right now.

ArCore is the google native "program" for Augmented Reality.
Vuforia is a third party software for the same (that charges $99 monthly).
I was using a test version of vuforia but published the app anyway, they sent me a mail that I have to upgrade (pay).
The app target devices went from 5000 to 300 basically.
I'll just wait it out, since it's winter vacation here, since the apps are still on the market, and see what solution I find (that doesn't requires me paying monthly).

Have you ever just had one those days where things just come crashing down? It's be a relativley productive week at work and I thought today I will finally get round to cleaning my bedroom. Started of so well, in particular getting a wardrobe fixed using some great intuition. Anyways, I wanted to removed a wardrobe from my son's room in my room to create more space for when he finally moves in. To cut a long story short, the whole thing has collapsed and there are doors and nails all over the place. I have attempted to put it back together but it does not look like it will be an easy or even possible task.

Should have just fucking left it where it was.

Oh you LITERALLY meant crashing down?

Yeah, a similar thing happened when I was moving back to Toronto from Calgary.

I was moving my dresser without the (rammed to the teeth) drawers, as it is much lighter and easier to carry...

... except that it made the entire thing flimsy to death, thus I picked it up, brought it to the kitchen (where we were holding the items before bringing it down to the truck) and it completely just... fell apart lol, totally.

So that was a waste of wood :(

One thing that stresses me the most is people in high positions doing a worst job that you can do without experience. Just read a story about a 15 year old here in London being stabbed to death in a random gang attack. I then go on to read that the person who done the stabbing, age 17 or so at the time and now 18, is getting less than 20 years in prison. Deterrent aside, where is the justice in that?

Government and other old "white" men who are just completely out of touch with everyday society and scared to take proper action because it either doesn't matter to them or they want to be seen as liberal. Seriously worries me.

If there is one industry I never want to work in its customer service. You're the bitch boy of customers and the company you represent. No matter how much shit you get you're supposed to take it. If you dare complain then you're shitted on even worse. I admire the people who have the fortitude to deal with that shit day in and out. Because I am sure as hell don't.

Last edited:
If there is one industry I never want to work in it's customer service. You're basically the bitch boy of customers and the company you represent. No matter how much shit you get you're supposed to take it. If you dare complain then you're shitted on even worse. I admire the people who have the fortitude to deal with that shit day in and out. Because I sure as hell don't.
Trust me, it can be tough. I am so glad I am no longer, for the most part, dealing with the end customer. I had two serious situations when working in banking.

One person wasn't even a customer and got upset that we could not open a bank account because he did not have the required ID. He was like 16 and started making a scene and asking me to "step out side". I am not an aggressive person, nor do I get riled by words, so just stared at him until my boss separated us. He was then seen later that day harassing and old lady on the bus. That day I remember not being in a great mood and would have loved to smack him around the face but it's just no worth it.

I had another customer where we had to freeze his business bank account because both of the owners called in to accuse each other of stealing money and wanted to prevent each other taking money from the account. It ended up being a very protracted situation which turned very aggressive with one of them threatening staff on a daily basis and even chained himself to the store. I remember having to go to his house late in the evening to deliver a cheque (as agreed) only for him to be out at the time, wasting hours of my out of work time.

However, when you do get more experienced and senior, you learn how to not take shit from people a bit better. If I was to go back in time, I would have taken the same approach with the dumb kid by ignoring him but with the second guy, I would not have stood for his shit for a second and closed the account straight away. The problem comes when you have a boss who won't let you exercise your authority and bends over for everyone.

An example and another banking story. My boss and another person senior to me went to visit a local car wash that was turning over big money and arranged to get them to open bank accounts with us. I was an account opener at the time and they booked them in to see me. There was an something quite serious that came up personally which meant I had to rearrange the account opening for another day (keep in mind this was something other people could do by my boss (boss's boss in fact) wanted them to see me as I was the "expert"). When it came to our meeting, they simply came across really dodgy. They were all from a "high risk" country, turnover seemed way too much for a car wash and they also wanted accounts typically reserved for solicitors for some insurance side business they were doing.

All seemed dodgy so I delayed the account opening. If it wasn't a referral from my boss's boss (director) I would have declined it there and then, but thought I would at least let the director know the issues before I declined it as he was keen to get this account opened. I mentioned it in an email, never heard back, so went ahead and declined the account opening. They went absolutely ape shit, called the director and complained, threatened to go to the media and made a huge stink out of it. Typical pussy, my director straight away caved, gave me a talking to and told me to open the account (something I would now refuse to do even if it was a direct order). I got the accounts opened but refused to open the account for the insurance nonsense and just the car wash.

A few months later, there is tonnes of cash coming into the account, £10k-£15k a week, all from a car wash that was down the road and never looked that busy. I then took a look at the account and notice there were a number of these special accounts opened which were depositing cheques from other people. I also then noticed there were a bunch of similar car wash and restaurant accounts from people of the same nationality. Raised this with compliance straight away and shit storm ensued. Accounts were closed, people suspended, police involved and everyone in the store had to do an interview with a former policeman who was trying to untangle what happened.

There was a documentary on Channel 4 titled The Jihadi Next Door. There is a restaurant one of the guys goes into, goes upstairs and starts watching videos of people being beheaded and talking about his love for ISIS. That restaurant is one of the businesses we opened an account for.

I get that it's easy to blame the customer but I have had more than one situation where the customer service representative was rude to me acting like I called just to make their day worse, like I want to sit on the phone dealing with this either. One time I called up Dish for help with my cable and the bitch laughed and me and treated me like an idiot because I didn't know the technical terms for the job she was TRAINED to do. Tl;Dr customer service representative can be Dicks too.

@shredingskin, are you talking to me? If so, we didn't lose any money but just had to close their accounts. All the businesses were issued cheques for their account balances and for the most part that was it. The business manager got suspended but later came back and in the end, it probably ended up being for the best for the bank as a number of sweeping changes and training were implemented to stop such things in the future. They hired pretty much most of their staff from retail and non-banking backgrounds but did not really take into account the impact that would have from as people got up to speed with their knowledge.

One other thing that really pisses me off about customer service, from a customers perspective this time, is the fact that you have to shout, kick and scream to get what you want. It's especially annoying when you're the type of person that doesn't like to do such things. For example, my laptop developed an issue where it would constantly crash. It would even crash when I was trying to do a factory reset. Sent it off to get fixed and when it arrived at the repair shop they sent me back pictures of it being damaged in transit and refused to fix it.

Now, I took pictures and videos of me packing it, packed it using their instructions and some and it was obviously the fault of the courier who must have ran it over or something. The packaging looked so damage, it was unreasonable to think it was me. Anyway, they refused to fix it and wanted to charge me to either get it fixed or send it back damaged. Over the next 10 days, I called daily, sent strongly worded emails, threatened legal action etc and guess what? They fixed the laptop and sent it back for free.

Now, if I was to be polite and well mannered about the whole thing, truth is I would not have a laptop right now. If I get in these situations, I know from my experience it's down to an idiotic manager making a poor decision and having their customer service reps take the fall. I make an effort to, after the situation has been deal with, apologise to them especially if they've made an genuine effort to help me or not make an effort to be as much as a dick of their manager.

Back