Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

lol as much as all the tunes in OR are great, Magical Sound Shower is the only legendary track from that game.

I have never played a single race, other than 2 of them (when I tried Passing Breeze and Splash Wave, once each), where the song has NOT been Magical Sound Shower; it is a brilliantly-composed and super-lasting videogame track.
Those are fighting words, Truck...

Another beautiful interview with Yu Suzuki, thanks Switch.

Yu Suzuki: I'm still making games! I hope to have something to announce by the end of this year, so please keep an eye out.

So nice that Yu Suzuki is still making games, my dream announcements would be Shenmue IV, and YS NET working in Virtua Fighter 6 with SEGA, but just the fact that Yu Suzuki is still making games is really beautiful, i'm looking forward to see the new games of YS NET.

Yu Suzuki: I'm really thankful for them. Fans have told me, "The Shenmue I want to play is the Shenmue that Yu-san wants to make". If there is a next game, I would like to make one where people who are not familiar with Shenmue will be able to experience the Shenmue feeling without feeling stressed.

Yu-san always say that he did Shenmue III for the fans, probably this is one of the reasons why Shenmue III gameplay style is in a lot of ways similar to the previous games. I love this style of gameplay and i don't have problems with this old style, but i really understand that Yu Suzuki want to try new things this time.

From what Yu Suzuki is saying it really feels that if Shenmue IV happen it will have a different style and vibe in relation to the gameplay, story progression and much more.

Maybe for Shenmue IV it will have a new fighting system, or maybe the VF fighting system will come back (I don't think it will come back) or maybe will be the same fighting system as Shenmue III but with a lot of improvements.

Maybe Yu Suzuki will remove the food system, i say this because as far as i know many people did not enjoy this system, i love the food system, it gave even more meaning to the foods and more meaning for the training, training is really important in Shenmue III and i love that.

When we train we can see that Ryo is getting stronger, after training we can even see that Ryo can endure more without eating and i love that, in relation to this i just think the food system needs improvements, but maybe Yu Suzuki will completely remove this system because of many people that did not enjoyed this system.

In relation to the story progression... Shenmue III to me have a slow pace style similar to the first game and i love that, i love this slow pace and calm vibe especially in Bailu Village, the story progress in Shenmue III in a slow way with the conversations with Shenhua, training with Master Sun and learning the Body Check and much more.

For Shenmue IV i think it will have more story progression like Shenmue II and i really think that in the current situation this will be the right decision, and this way probably Yu-san will finish the story in Shenmue V.

To me Shenmue III is similar to the first game in many things and i think Shenmue IV will be similar to Shenmue II in relation to the story progression and other things.

Shenmue IV in my opinion have the potential to be an amazing, beautiful and emotional game, i imagine that it will be The Chi You Men Arc with a lot of fights, all the leaders of The Chi You Men, revelations, story progression, character development and much more.

Now Ryo is not alone anymore, now Ryo is with Shenhua and Ren, i'm really looking forward to see the trio travelling together and all the interactions between them, this have the potential to be so beautiful and interesting.

It is really interesting that Yu Suzuki want to try new ideas for the franchise, and i'm really looking forward to see this new ideas.

I think if Shenmue IV happen it will be the most different game in the franchise, with a lot of changes in the gameplay, improvements, new ideas, maybe new systems, more story progression similar to Shenmue II and much more while still maintaining some things of the Shenmue essence and identity.

I'm looking forward for more news, LetsGetShenmueIV

I hope he is working on Shenmue 4 and that he was able to convince a publisher to fund 4 and 5 to finish the series. If he is not working on Shenmue 4, it means he wasn’t able to sell it. Even if he is able to convince someone now or in the near future to fund a Shenmue 4, it will be many years until we see that and it probably still won’t finish the story. If that is the case, I really hope the animation gets renewed and we can finally see the whole story through this. To wait over 20 years already and to have to wait another 5-10 years or more for two more games seems like a lot to ask his fans unless he is already working on them so we can see them sooner.

I am not gonna lie. I'd be pretty disappointed ending the series at five. Just so much life taken out of the masterpiece. For a game that the guy who got me into it and the way we talked about it prior to it's release made it sound like this is the future of way games should be made. Just a tragic way for this to all go.

I am not gonna lie. I'd be pretty disappointed ending the series at five. Just so much life taken out of the masterpiece. For a game that the guy who got me into it and the way we talked about it prior to it's release made it sound like this is the future of way games should be made. Just a tragic way for this to all go.
I'll be more than happy with the series getting another game announced and ending at IV. The characters are headed to the cliff temple where the treasure is suggested to be, it's a decent place to begin mapping out a conclusion.

5 is perfectly fine.

I agree that so much was taken out of the franchise, we will probably never see in game form many locations like Miao Village, Baisha and many other places that Yu-san wrote in the time of The Legend Of Akira novels/scripts.

This content looks so interesting, is sad that probably we will never see this locations and parts of the story in game form in a official way, but in the current situation ending in Shenmue V will be the best decision in my opinion, is perfectly fine to me ending in Shenmue V.

Yu-san said that with Shenmue III the story is at 40% so i really don't agree with ending in Shenmue IV, we're not even halfway through the story according to Yu-san.

I really hope Yu-san was able to convince a publisher to fund 4 and 5 to finish the series like japalp said, and Yu-san said he is still making games, i really think one of the games is Shenmue IV and that we will see the announcement this year.

In the current situation ending in Shenmue V will be the best decision in my opinion, and i really think this is the current plan of Yu Suzuki for the conclusion of this wonderful journey.

I agree that so much was taken out of the franchise, we will probably never see in game form many locations like Miao Village, Baisha and many other places that Yu-san wrote in the time of The Legend Of Akira novels/scripts.

This content looks so interesting, is sad that probably we will never see this locations and parts of the story in game form in a official way, but in the current situation ending in Shenmue V will be the best decision in my opinion, is perfectly fine to me ending in Shenmue V.

Yu-san said that with Shenmue III the story is at 40% so i really don't agree with ending in Shenmue IV, we're not even halfway through the story according to Yu-san.

I really hope Yu-san was able to convince a publisher to fund 4 and 5 to finish the series like japalp said, and Yu-san said he is still making games, i really think one of the games is Shenmue IV and that we will see the announcement this year.

In the current situation ending in Shenmue V will be the best decision in my opinion, and i really think this is the current plan of Yu Suzuki for the conclusion of this wonderful journey.
You don't have to agree with ending it in IV. I think the likeliest situation is the story gets finished in the anime, so I'll be more than happy in the alternate if somehow Yu Suzuki got another game as well.

Ryo being beaten by Lan Di and losing the Phoenix Mirror is a decent ending to act 2 anyway and 4 being the conclusion and Ryo's comeback, if they could get it made.

Maybe I'm deluded but I also think we'll get a Shenmue 4 announcement at the end of the anime. I think the retelling of the the games' story through an anime, aligns neatly with Yu's comments that he is trying to draw a new, broader audience to the series. He also mentioned he's working on some kind of sequel and we know that Shenmue 4 was pitched years ago. I reckon it's already in development.

Maybe I'm deluded but I also think we'll get a Shenmue 4 announcement at the end of the anime. I think the retelling of the the games' story through an anime, aligns neatly with Yu's comments that he is trying to draw a new, broader audience to the series. He also mentioned he's working on some kind of sequel and we know that Shenmue 4 was pitched years ago. I reckon it's already in development.

With all the informations we got from the Cedric interview and Yu Suzuki interviews i think Yu Suzuki is developing Shenmue IV, but i think he just can't say yet because i feel that usually these things have a proper date of when they'll be announced. Let's hope that it will happen this year.

That would be bad news for Shenmue fans who want to see the story finished in games. If true, I do hope the anime finishes the story. If the games ever were to be made, they can still tell the story differently like the anime is doing now so well.

I don't know if it would be bad news. They could be working on a number of projects in fairness.

That would be bad news for Shenmue fans who want to see the story finished in games.
IMO? Not really.

Shenmue IV was already pitched, and whether it was a goer or not is unknown, but in either case the reception to the anime would be an important gauge on the overall health of the series and scope of attracting new audiences. There's a two year gap to fill, though.

YsNet working on a side project keeps the team together and active in the meanwhile. If it's a self-owned IP and they also self-publish, it's also a potential revenue source for the studio if whatever it is sells.

I've said it before. I think not working on shenmue 4 now would kinda be a mistake. All of this done for shenmue 3 would be tragic to not get. While I was okay with shenmue 3. I was disappointed in it but craved to play the next game then. It was an empty feeling.

And shenmue 4 needs to be what shenmue 2 was for me. This might not be a popular opinion here. But I do not care for a different IP from yu right now with all due respect. This is a childhood thing for me. This has been a longing for me and I am sure plenty of others. And as much as the anime is cool and it's helping the fandom by reaching new eyes I have always firmly been against that being the way it resolves the story.

Well, that interview basically confirms S4 is not in development, the anime is our only hope to finish the story.

Well, that interview basically confirms S4 is not in development, the anime is our only hope to finish the story.
I don't think he'd confirm it was right now, even if it was until it was ready to be shown off.

Given the the fun and games around the Kickstarter I'm all for it being held back until 100% ready.

Back