Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Here we've been wasting our time on monthly tweetathons, all we had to do was email him and ask. :LOL:

Seriously though, some announcements for games he's been working on (plural?) by the end of the year...that's interesting!

Died laughing at the part where Yu says "Passing Breeze" was originally titled "Passing Wind" until SEGA of America told him it was a euphemism for farting.

Seriously though, some announcements for games he's been working on (plural?) by the end of the year...that's interesting!
Definitely is, and much more reminiscent of how Yu worked while at AM2. Wasn't often he didn't have 2+ projects on the go at the same time.

If they're all in-house I don't expect them to be huge titles, but I'd happily take something modest and arcadey from YsNet while they're still waiting for a Shenmue IV greenlight.

Always nice to see a new interview with Yu Suzuki, now i'm feeling more optimistic about Shenmue IV. The dream announcements for me would be Shenmue IV and Virtua Fighter 6, but if the announcements are small projects then is nice as well, i'm just happy that Yu Suzuki still making games but now i feel more optimistic for a Shenmue IV announcement this year, i really think Yu Suzuki is making Shenmue IV.

Looks like Yu Suzuki really want to do Shenmue IV not just for the fans but for new players as well, I think Yu Suzuki's plan is to make something that new players will like but also maintaining the identity and essence of Shenmue, he always say that he did Shenmue III for the fans, now it is nice that Yu Suzuki want to try new things, i'm looking forward for more news.

I do kind of get the feeling he's either working on S4 or close to sealing the deal for it to be made, but even if not I'm just glad to hear he's working on games at all.

Also Spaghetti, I really hate that I always think of that euphemism when seeing Passing Breeze because it's such a nice song. :crying:

"so please do not hesitate to contact us."
Sorry to say that it's a translation error from Google.
その際はよろしくお願いします
All he's really saying here is to be on the look out for when any of the projects are officially announced for more details. I know it sounds crazy that all of that could be said in this one clause, but 'Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu' is like the Swiss Army knife of Japanese phrases.

EDIT:
I imagine Switch might be picking this up at some point, so I'm reluctant to steal any thunder, but I was reading a bit further in the interview, and almost started crying like the first time I went into the Save Shenmue temple. Just some really rough summarizing:

- 4gamer: Shenmue III released recently, but do you have any plans for a follow-up?
- YS: I want to, if I have the chance. 95% of what was in Shenmue III was for the fans who supported me to the point of even making it possible. Because of that, the reception among the core fanbase was relatively good, but I found that new users who weren't familiar with the old games found it frustrating. Shenmue was often about finding enjoyment in some inconveniences, and apparently this was disorienting for people more used to the kindness (/pampering) of newer open world games. If there's another Shenmue, I plan to make something more palatable for both. I believe the fans that have been supporting me for so long will be receptive to my efforts to bring in new Shenmue fans [with a Shenmue IV].
- 4gamer: The Shenmue fans sound very warm and personable.
- YS: I'm very thankful for them! Fans have told me that, 'The Shenmue I want to play is the Shenmue that Yu wants to make.' If there's a continuation, I want it to be one where new players are able to get a sense of "Shenmue" without any of the stress.

Last edited:
Shenmue was often about finding enjoyment in some inconveniences, and apparently this was disorienting for people more used to the kindness (/pampering) of newer open world games. If there's another Shenmue, I plan to make something more palatable for both.
I feel like Shenmue doesn't have a hope of finding more mainstream success until it embraces some more immediate/sticky gameplay systems. It needs more RPG hooks, more combat...probably both. Simply progressing a story by walking about and talking to people, occasionally investigating a room, and fighting a few thugs once every 3-4 in-game days, is never going to be exciting enough for the Persona and Yakuza fans of the world.

As sad as that initially seems, I actually think there's a version of Shenmue that could add these things and still feel like Shenmue. I've been saying this since I first played S3, but it would've been a better game with more throwaway fights during the main quest :censored:

As for general convenience, though, I think the most obvious things are: removing the stamina system, abolishing big money requirements, dumping the gambling ticket system, and providing a quicker way to get around town. But that alone wouldn't be enough.

As sad as that initially seems, I actually think there's a version of Shenmue that could add these things and still feel like Shenmue. I've been saying this since I first played S3, but it would've been a better game with more throwaway fights during the main quest :censored:

As for general convenience, though, I think the most obvious things are: removing the stamina system, abolishing big money requirements, dumping the gambling ticket system, and providing a quicker way to get around town. But that alone wouldn't be enough.
All sensible suggestions, IMO. Mirrors some of what Ryan Payton has said about turning the action up a notch, and is kind of where I'm at personally too. Doesn't have to be loads, think Shenmue II with an extra 10-15% and some additional set pieces centred around major story milestones.

I still think the best "modernisation" they could do is upping the non-linearity of main story progression by having multiple concurrent big and small objectives to follow up on. You sort of see a precursor to this in some of Shenmue II's quest design, so it's not deeply unfamiliar territory. Polishing existing systems and tying the RPG mechanics more deeply into pretty much everything Ryo does in the game world, and I think you've got yourself a pretty satisfying "modern" game.

Provided they aren't working with a smaller budget and team next time, they're automatically in a better place than Shenmue III because they don't have to build everything from scratch again and can focus on improvements + content.

Doesn't have to be loads, think Shenmue II with an extra 10-15% and some additional set pieces centred around major story milestones
This is something I've thought about a lot: if you're to truly embrace the combat aspects of a video game, you need the combat to be pretty much mandatory every time you pick up that controller.

I really like that training becomes a part of your daily routine in S3 (via dojos and mini-games), but there just aren't enough excuses to utilise what you've learned against "real" opponents.

There should, in my opinion, be a mandatory fight roughly every hour of play. Shenmue II does this really well in Kowloon, but the early parts of S2 and almost all of S1 are guilty of not giving you enough reason to care about the combat.

If Yu tries to appeal to a mainstream audience, I hope the new features he implements are innovative rather than imitative of the average rpg. The 'gamey' features added to the 3rd title (stamina system, fetch and chase sidequests, etc) actually hindered the experience for me. I hope Yu puts his energy into developing the character perspective system, along with the combat system.

I am for it. I just hope he doesn't alienate it too much away from being "Shenmue". The next chapter needs to turn it up. And, the fact he keeps saying if I get to make it. Yu, you have to make it now. We delivered on our part even moreso than the releases of the first game. Do not let us be trapped on the walk to the next location for another 18 years.

To honest, with all the releases of various media around Shenmue including the anime. Shenmue 4 is getting announced at the end of the Shenmue anime I believe.

I am for it. I just hope he doesn't alienate it too much away from being "Shenmue". The next chapter needs to turn it up. And, the fact he keeps saying if I get to make it. Yu, you have to make it now. We delivered on our part even moreso than the releases of the first game. Do not let us be trapped on the walk to the next location for another 18 years.

To honest, with all the releases of various media around Shenmue including the anime. Shenmue 4 is getting announced at the end of the Shenmue anime I believe.
Are you Yuanda Zhu by the way?

Are you Yuanda Zhu by the way?
d98b696c4705137c15d3c3738ef0de15ff765dd6.gifv

Well, we were talking about Shenmue popping up in Fortnite. Looks like they went with the 'other' franchise:

Perhaps a sign of things to come, though?

that would be really cool. I do not believe it is going to be happen to honest in case if really happens it would be a great twist.

Do not get me wrong I will never give up my hops for Shenmue 4 but I do not think it is going to be anounced that fast.

that would be really cool. I do not believe it is going to be happen to honest in case if really happens it would be a great twist.

Do not get me wrong I will never give up my hops for Shenmue 4 but I do not think it is going to be anounced that fast.

One can wish. That's for sure.

I do kind of get the feeling he's either working on S4 or close to sealing the deal for it to be made, but even if not I'm just glad to hear he's working on games at all.

Also Spaghetti, I really hate that I always think of that euphemism when seeing Passing Breeze because it's such a nice song. :crying:

lol as much as all the tunes in OR are great, Magical Sound Shower is the only legendary track from that game.

I have never played a single race, other than 2 of them (when I tried Passing Breeze and Splash Wave, once each), where the song has NOT been Magical Sound Shower; it is a brilliantly-composed and super-lasting videogame track.

Back