Project Update #104: Shenmue 3 by Ys Net

I just had a quick look at the comments on KS, no words... If these are the biggest problems they and the world have...

Anyway, anybody else going back to the new stretch goal graphic and getting excited what has been achieved? :D
I've been looking at it regularly since yesterday. Cannot wait!

2002-2015: "I'd do anything for Shenmue 3. Hell, I'd take it on any console or in any format, even if it's a script, a book, a synopsis or graphic novel"

2015: "OMFG SHENMUE 3!!!"

2019: "ShEnMuE 3 cAn Go To HeLl. EpIc SuCkS. ThE dEvoLoPmEnT tEaM mUsT sUfFeR"
They should announce Xbox exclusivity next week.

This doesn't even make any sense. Kickstarter was meant as a way to fund the games development it's not an actual sale. So let's say that Epic did theoretically gave this user their money back nothing is going to happen. Epic doesn't care they have plenty of money and Y's Net/Deep Silver don't care since the game is already complete. Then you're going to support the very underhanded thing you hate Epic for by buying the game for retail. Yeah that'll show em! Do people even think before they say something? If you wanna stick it to them, then don't buy the game at launch and be happy with your Kickstarter copy. People can't even sabotage the game properly.

But Kickstarter is not clear enough. If it's not a sale, they should just change their terms and conditions and remove completely the rewards. But they won't do it because they know the backers won't be interested in it anymore. From the moment the creators of a project promise hundred/thousand dollars rewards, it's too easy to say "Kickstarer is not a store". If it's not a store, so just remove rewards and in exchange they give more importance to backers (backers>investors). Kickstarter was made for self publishing, I still don't understand how tier companies can be involved in a project after backers gave their money.

I never blamed Ys Net, as the other creators who look for more money in order to make something bigger (But I know if Shenmue 3 looked like the two previous games, I would also take it without hesitation), but I don't think they really understand the meaning of beginning something on KS. They chose KS for having full control on their game (and the communication) and benefiting of all the success of their creation (so also receive all the money from the sells). Few years ago I backed Broken Sword 5 on KS and Charles Cecil knew what he did at that time:

Revolution adventures have had considerable success - but the traditional publishing model has prevented us receiving the required royalties to fund future games. With limited financial reserves we have been unable to fund our own titles and so we have not benefited from their success. Now you can help us to change this. For the first time in our history, we will be funding an original adventure game: Broken Sword - the Serpent's Curse. This will give us full creative freedom, and let us work with you. We promise to keep you up to date with all aspects of development and we will value your support.

Development of the game is going well - we hope that you like what you see. Kickstarter funding will allow us to proceed at a faster rate, and ensure the game achieves its ambitious design. Without this funding we will risk having to cut back features and delay the game's release.

Whether you are able to back this project or not, if you're a fan of the Broken Sword games then please share this with your friends so they can help make the next Broken Sword the best game yet!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST

So I understand that people are pissed off with the reactions of backers who are frustrated and ask refund or complain on KS (and I really really hate those rude people) but you should also understand this KS campaign was a mess from the beginning till the end with many no respected things. If for many people, it's only an Epic problem, for others it's more than that. I really think KS should stick out their chest and change considerably their terms and conditions because Kickstarter is not what it was supposed to be anymore.

I made a comment on another forum saying that there are much worse things happening in the world and that some perspective should be taken. I got downvoted heavily and one person suggested that I give him my address so he can rob my house...

Who the fuck are these people?

This doesn't even make any sense. Kickstarter was meant as a way to fund the games development it's not an actual sale. So let's say that Epic did theoretically gave this user their money back nothing is going to happen. Epic doesn't care they have plenty of money and Y's Net/Deep Silver don't care since the game is already complete. Then you're going to support the very underhanded thing you hate Epic for by buying the game for retail. Yeah that'll show em! Do people even think before they say something? If you wanna stick it to them, then don't buy the game at launch and be happy with your Kickstarter copy. People can't even sabotage the game properly.
Exactly. This cretin is going to be unwittingly supporting the game if he goes through with his brilliant plan. Retail sales are what really count in regards to the game's success now. The refunds aren't even going to hurt it since Epic is footing the bill.

But Kickstarter is not clear enough. If it's not a sale, they should just change their terms and conditions and remove completely the rewards. But they won't do it because they know the backers won't be interested in it anymore. From the moment the creators of a project promise hundred/thousand dollars rewards, it's too easy to say "Kickstarer is not a store". If it's not a store, so just remove rewards and in exchange they give more importance to backers (backers>investors). Kickstarter was made for self publishing, I still don't understand how tier companies can be involved in a project after backers gave their money.

Well, it’s like you said if publishers don’t offer rewards to incentivize potential backers then they won’t donate. Not everyone is a hardcore Shenmue fan like people here and would’ve donated on the Shenmue name alone (especially for a series that’s almost alien to most modern gamers). I also agree that Kickstarter should make their terms and conditions more clear. However if a mere amateur like me can figure it out, I don’t see why others can’t. Also making the terms and conditions vague is the fault of Kickstarter, not Epic, Deep Silver, or Ys Net.

When it comes to corporate interference on a self-publishing platform like Kickstarter I think that video games are a more complex beast compared to other projects (which would explain why they fail more often). While there’s no doubt that indie titles on Kickstarter can be made like Shovel Knight, complex games like Shenmue demand way more resources compared to an 8-bit pixel game. Also, there’s the simple fact that after backer rewards and Kickstarter fees Yu would’ve only had 4.6-5.1 million to make a game that by today’s standards would’ve cost 36-53.5 million if you count for inflation. So it was inevitable that Yu Suzuki would need corporate help to make the game fans wanted and to follow his vision. If Yu Suzuki was restricted in following his vision because of corporate pressure then that’s one thing. However, he’s still being true to his vision all these years later, even with corporate backing.

So I understand that people are pissed off with the reactions of backers who are frustrated and ask refund or complain on KS (and I really really hate those rude people) but you should also understand this KS campaign was a mess from the beginning till the end with many no respected things. If for many people, it's only an Epic problem, for others it's more than that. I really think KS should stick out their chest and change considerably their terms and conditions because Kickstarter is not what it was supposed to be anymore.

I have in the past admitted that this Kickstarter has been handled poorly. From the poor communication over the Sony debacle, hiring Awesome Japan for your PR, releasing beta footage to a fussy public, and now this. As I said, Yu Suzuki is an artist, not a businessman and these rookie mistakes are proof of that. I also sympathize with people who felt betrayed by the switch to Epic and the issues they have with the client. I am happy that the more reasonable fans who were disappointed will be getting some form of compensation from Epic. However, I’ve become frustrated when fans cross the line and try to actively sabotage the game. I am frustrated that opportunists are using Shenmue 3 as a bludgeon against Epic a game series I love and waited eighteen years to see a sequel for.

I don’t care about their crusade against Epic if they hate EGS then they hate it. However, leave Shenmue 3 out of it.

Last edited:
Wait, some PS4 backers are asking for refunds...

I am literally losing brain cells over here.
one person suggested that I give him my address so he can rob my house...

I...wait, what?!

I mean what did he expect you to say? "Oh yeah sure bud, here ya go! I live right here..."

Plus, what the fuck would that even achieve?!

It’s bizarre how much attention our unpopular series no one cares about keeps getting. Maybe it’s good it’s getting a new video by a YouTube all star every other day and dominating the front pages of multiple forums. No such thing as bad news, right? Ugh.

View attachment 3416

I am literally losing brain cells over here.

I...wait, what?!

I mean what did he expect you to say? "Oh yeah sure bud, here ya go! I live right here..."

Plus, what the fuck would that even achieve?!

It was bizarre. I think his point was that if he robbed my house, I would have something to moan about. I didn't get it. I spent about 15 minutes trying to come up with a witty retort, until I realised that doing so is pointless. I did that with another poster who was spouting bile and suggested he calm down and take a breather, but to no avail. It's quite scary how easy it is to get sucked in to it all. After a while I forgot about it and went on with my life.

What's done is done. I mean we are still alive and we are getting Shenmue III for crying out loud. I almost wish some people would take the damn refund and just stew in their bile.

I did watch the Sterling video and to be fair, he has toned the hyperbole down a bit. I find that when it's not a "Jimquisition" video, he's more chilled out. It would be interesting to know the final budget of it all, but the fact that nearly all the stretch goals have been achieved, i'm willing to bet it must be a few million at least.

I really do hope that the funding lays down the groundwork for Shenmue IV. The hardest work has been done now.

I made a comment on another forum saying that there are much worse things happening in the world and that some perspective should be taken. I got downvoted heavily and one person suggested that I give him my address so he can rob my house...

Who the fuck are these people?
Shot in the dark, but was that ResetERA?

Shot in the dark, but was that ResetERA?

Eurogamer, would you believe? I always thought that it was a relatively chilled website (and indeed my first few posts have been very pleasant), but I guess that's not always the case. For what it's worth, last I checked, although it was downvoted about 25 times, it was upvoted 15 times and some posters were pretty sympathetic and understanding.

Jim Sterling has and always will hate the Shenmue series. He will trash Shenmue III no matter what the final quality ends up being.

He doesn't understand it's appeal, he doesn't understand it's efforts in pioneering gaming forward in numerous ways. He makes a living off of his negativity.

Gamers are their own worst enemy. They get fickle and wonder why there aren't as many unique, niche titles out. Because you complain..

Final Fantasy XIV is a stellar game, but people complained about too many abilities. As a result, every class got stripped down in the latest expansion and homogenized, to the point where many healers stopped playing because they removed a lot of unique playstyles.

Be careful what you wish for.

So the physical version is just for show for the PC release? I don’t get that.

Anyway, I’m glad we’re getting a majority of the game as intended. All I want to know is shenmue 4, or will that be another 18 years? Hell, I’d pay for another Kickstarter for that

Eurogamer, would you believe? I always thought that it was a relatively chilled website (and indeed my first few posts have been very pleasant), but I guess that's not always the case. For what it's worth, last I checked, although it was downvoted about 25 times, it was upvoted 15 times and some posters were pretty sympathetic and understanding.

I was a bit surprised by the comments on Eurogamer. They are usually fairly calm, mature and level headed.

Edit: And 2 seconds into reading the comments, multiple accusations are made that Steam was promised in the campaign and people paid for a Steam version. Does anyone on there correct them? Nah, because that doesn't fit their narrative.

Those people need to look up the definition of bait and switch.

Last edited:
Greg More is a scam.
I finished replaying Shenmue 2 a few days ago and Greg More was the fight I had the most trouble with. Baihu? No problem. Dou Niu? Slow and easy to dodge. Greg More? Picks you up and throws you out of the ring.

Back