Project Update #104: Shenmue 3 by Ys Net

Sometimes less is more and sometimes more is more.

View attachment 3418
Don't ever pull a stunt like that again.

Really not sure what I'll do. I backed for two copies. One for around the $120 range, and then one for around the $500 range with all of the toys. The former I chose for PS4, and the latter for PC. I'll probably change my PC version to PS4, but then I'd end up with 3 PS4 copies because I want to get the collector's edition from limited run games.

I don't really have any faith in Ys Net and Deep Silver sending out Steam keys a full year after the Epic launch. That sounds pretty bogus if you ask me. I don't expect them to stick to any agreements after the initial release.

That Jim Sterling video is trash, and I usually don't mind his stuff.

I mean, why does he care if Shenmue III makes money? The only people who need to worry about that are YS Net and Deep Silver. Surely it's a good thing niche games like this can exist, even if they don't make huge amounts of money? All of a sudden he's worried about a publisher's finances? :unsure:

He's constantly going on about games needing to make too much money to be successful, so which is it? Why is it different for Shenmue III? Oh, that's right, because he doesn't actually care that much about the Epic exclusivity stuff. He's been indifferent in the past, but he still wants to put a negative video out on the situation because he's obligated to.

I made a comment on another forum saying that there are much worse things happening in the world and that some perspective should be taken. I got downvoted heavily and one person suggested that I give him my address so he can rob my house...

Who the fuck are these people?

Losers man, pathetic fucking losers with no life. Their whole identity has become outrage for the sake of outrage. And if you don't agree with their outrage then god help you as they will insult you and berate you and say all manners of dumb shit to get under your skin. Pathetic losers. Every last one of them.

I got called a filthy SJW for apparently defending Epic Games...even though that's not what I was doing...all because I said "you weren't lied to; this is the nature of Kickstarter where you're never 100% guaranteed that things will go according to plan. There are terms and conditions outlining this when you enter said contract."

Apparently I'm an SJW for simply stating logistical fact. :D:D:D

There are some real dense mudda fuckers (in the words of Joe Pesci) out there who live to be outraged. It's like it's become their whole identity to just be constantly outraged about everything. I predict we're raising a generation of kids with future heart issues because this much outrage ain't good for the heart.

People keep saying "oh we can't trust Kickstarter any more as every gaming related project seemingly has issues"

Did they ever stop to think that they're seeing a side of the beast that they don't usually see because game development is usually closed off to public eyes and is a case of "we'll show it when it's done." Whereas with Kickstarter they have to keep you informed so you see the stuff you usually don't see and turns out that sometimes not everything goes according to plan during development.

It's almost like this is the nature of the beast of game development. So what makes Kickstarter any different? Is it just because everyone thinks that because they invested money they have the right to final say over everything?

But then again I do sometimes wonder; if Kickstarter really is an investment platform then how much say should we actively have? Investors do have a say and it doesn't seem like you get much say in Kickstarter. Don't get me wrong; I don't want final control. I want the artist to make the product they want to make...but I do have to wonder if it truly is an investment platform how much right of say should its investors actually have?

Last edited:
Losers man, pathetic fucking losers with no life. Their whole identity has become outrage for the sake of outrage. And if you don't agree with their outrage then god help you as they will insult you and berate you and say all manners of dumb shit to get under your skin. Pathetic losers. Every last one of them.

I got called a filthy SJW for apparently defending Epic Games...even though that's not what I was doing...all because I said "you weren't lied to; this is the nature of Kickstarter where you're never 100% guaranteed that things will go according to plan. There are terms and conditions outlining this when you enter said contract."

Apparently I'm an SJW for simply stating logistical fact. :D:D:D

There are some real dense moderfuckers (in the words of Joe Pesci) out there who live to be outraged. It's like it's become their whole identity to just be constantly outraged about everything. I predict we're raising a generation of kids with future heart issues because this much outrage ain't good for the heart.

People keep saying "oh we can't trust Kickstarter any more as every gaming related project seemingly has issues"

Did they ever stop to think that they're seeing a side of the beast that they don't usually see because game development is usually closed off to public eyes and is a case of "we'll show it when it's done." Whereas with Kickstarter they have to keep you informed so you see the stuff you usually don't see and turns out that sometimes not everything goes according to plan during development.

It's almost like this is the nature of the beast of game development. So what makes Kickstarter any different? Is it just because everyone thinks that because they invested money they have the right to final say over everything?

But then again I do sometimes wonder; if Kickstarter really is an investment platform then how much say should we actively have? Investors do have a say and it doesn't seem like you get much say in Kickstarter. Don't get me wrong; I don't want final control. I want the artist to make the product they want to make...but I do have to wonder if it truly is an investment platform how much right of say should its investors actually have?

How is defending Epic an SJW thing? Now people are just misusing labels like this now! I though most people in the PC gaming community hated Epic regardless of whenever or not is a SJW. That makes no damn sense. This whole thing and how people react and is outraged over this is the gaming community showing it's immaturity as always. This isn't about people who are being more level headed about this by the way. Anyway, again being stereotyped as a bunch of Manchildern that was not raised properly in general to be behaving this way, but spending too much time on social media had conditioned their minds to be this way. Who would want (or even entertain the idea) to rob someone's house because of some disagreement over the internet anyway? That is just messed up plus two "wrongs" don't make a right! People are such moral relativists and that shows right there! Epic is bad, but me threatening to come to someone's house over an disagreement over the internet is good! Insane society is insane! People are going to be allowed refunds, so it should end here, but people are addicted to drama even though they would deny the fact! The ego in some people has this weird need to feed off it's own negativity which is why they keep going and going even after it's all over!

How is defending Epic an SJW thing? Now people are just misusing labels like this now! I though most people in the PC gaming community hated Epic regardless of whenever or not is a SJW. That makes no damn sense. This whole thing and how people react and is outraged over this is the gaming community showing it's immaturity as always. This isn't about people who are being more level headed about this by the way. Anyway, again being stereotyped as a bunch of Manchildern that was not raised properly in general to be behaving this way, but spending too much time on social media had conditioned their minds to be this way. Who would want (or even entertain the idea) to rob someone's house because of some disagreement over the internet anyway? That is just messed up plus two "wrongs" don't make a right! People are such moral relativists and that shows right there! Epic is bad, but me threatening to come to someone's house over an disagreement over the internet is good! Insane society is insane! People are going to be allowed refunds, so it should end here, but people are addicted to drama even though they would deny the fact! The ego in some people has this weird need to feed off it's own negativity which is why they keep going and going even after it's all over!

“Only filthy SJW Cucks use the Epic Store” was the exact quote.

I know...I laughed too at the stupidity of that statement.

I'm quite happy to see the scope of Shenmue III expanded to encompass almost all the stretch goals. I can't help wonder how large the areas and game will be (what with it apparently being bigger than 2).
That is what still stumps me... just from what we've seen I was under the impression that it was going to be no bigger than Shenmue 1, but state that it will meet Shenmue 2's scale in such confidence... I don't think my mind can put them pieces together, as I'm still looking at it as a KickStarter funded project... But maybe Shenmue 3 can really surprise us :)

That is what still stumps me... just from what we've seen I was under the impression that it was going to be no bigger than Shenmue 1, but state that it will meet Shenmue 2's scale in such confidence... I don't think my mind can put them pieces together, as I'm still looking at it as a KickStarter funded project... But maybe Shenmue 3 can really surprise us :)
Yup, that's where my mind is at the moment. I cannot wait to finally get to explore these places fully in the full game, as these promises have me hyped!

I know...I laughed too at the stupidity of that statement.

Surely it's the "SJW" types that stereotypically should be on the anti-Epic side? I'm only talking hypothetically because frankly I despise the inmature term "SJW" and how it is thrown about (I dislike fake outrage and manufactured controversy, and don't care whether it comes from the left or the right), but most arguments against Epic seem to be that it is anti-consumer, because it just throws cash around and pays for exclusivity rights. That seems more akin to social justice.

The funny thing is there's absolutely nothing wrong legally or morally with exclusivity deals and businesses have been using them since the beginning of time. Before the beginning of the slow death of DVDs (and HMV), boxsets have had HMV exclusivity here in the UK. GAME have had exclusivity rights for certain games (Project Zero 5, Xenoblade Chronicles). Sometimes certain stores have exclusive rights to certain products. Netflix, Amazon and Hulu etc often pay for exclusivity rights for certain shows and films. And of course console exclusivity has existed for ages and doesn't always only occur when the console manufacturer has had a hand on the game's existence or development.

The discussion on exclusivity being wrong is nonsensical.

Surely it's the "SJW" types that stereotypically should be on the anti-Epic side? I'm only talking hypothetically because frankly I despise the inmature term "SJW" and how it is thrown about (I dislike fake outrage and manufactured controversy, and don't care whether it comes from the left or the right), but most arguments against Epic seem to be that it is anti-consumer, because it just throws cash around and pays for exclusivity rights. That seems more akin to social justice.

The funny thing is there's absolutely nothing wrong legally or morally with exclusivity deals and businesses have been using them since the beginning of time. Before the beginning of the slow death of DVDs (and HMV), boxsets have had HMV exclusivity here in the UK. GAME have had exclusivity rights for certain games (Project Zero 5, Xenoblade Chronicles). Sometimes certain stores have exclusive rights to certain products. Netflix, Amazon and Hulu etc often pay for exclusivity rights for certain shows and films. And of course console exclusivity has existed for ages and doesn't always only occur when the console manufacturer has had a hand on the game's existence or development.

The discussion on exclusivity being wrong is nonsensical.

Nah, I'm with you, mate. The whole SJW thing is so overplayed and much like anything that involves fake outrage; the self professed Anti SJW's are no different to the SJW's they claim to fight against. Only difference is they're yelling about different shit while at each others throats. I'm with you, I hate the outrage train no matter where it's coming from. I had another so called Anti SJW type tell me "I'm deeply ashamed of you for supporting this shit"....I just thought to myself: "Do you realise your using the same language that your self professed enemy uses to try and berate people who don't agree? How are you any different to the type you claim to "fight."

Morons...plenty of them out there. All looking to be outraged because it's become their whole identity. Or because it's a way to look cool among their peers on the Internet or IRL. Sad way to live.

Yeah, that's kind of why I laughed at the oxymoron of the statement made. You're 100% right. How does it make sense that so called SJW's would be buying from Epic when they're supposedly Anti-Consumerism or Anti-Big Business :D:D:D Hence why I laughed my ass off when I read said retort.

I don't really care for exclusivity...I guess I would rather Shenmue III be everywhere Day 1 as opposed to being on one store front. But at the same time I'm not really morally fussed about it either. As you said, it's business and businesses have been doing this for years. It's just a way to get people to buy from your store. In some ways, I kind of like that Steam has competition. Maybe this will force Gabe's hand to actually take another look at how he does business and maybe cut developers a better deal.

To me, competition is better than a monopoly.

Last edited:
I finished replaying Shenmue 2 a few days ago and Greg More was the fight I had the most trouble with. Baihu? No problem. Dou Niu? Slow and easy to dodge. Greg More? Picks you up and throws you out of the ring.

Grr... hate that too; surely one of the techie guys can disprove my statement (if it is indeed untrue), but it feels like Greg was programmed to be the easiest fight, from an actual fighting standpoint (I ALWAYS get him down to 3 orbs or less, if he throws me out) of the 4 fights.

Which is why they gave him a tiny-ass ring.

EDIT* Made me think...

Ryo has 4 fights with 4 different disciplines and situations, which goes along with the whole, "training," and, "how far he's progressing and how much he's growing as a martial artist," narrative:

• Rod Stunt: Pancriatum, so lots of strikes mixed in with a bunch of throws and a normal-sized ring; this is an all-around fight, showing Ryo's overall growth.
  • Greg More: Wrestling, so lots of grabs and throws. How do you counter grabs and throws? Keep your distance and strike... but with a small ring, you're forced to have a very small space to work with, showing how Ryo can adapt to fighting styles and situations.
  • Chunyan: Jeet Kune Do, so a ton of very quick strikes and opportunities to counter must be well-timed and precise. Plus, with the implication in the game that you die if you fall off the edge, shows that Ryo has learned to not be an aggressive fighter; sit back and pick your spots, otherwise it may end up costing you your life.
  • Baihu: Being in a locked-in area with no ring-outs and an incredibly aggressive style, means a ton of countering and you being aggressive, so that you can't get backed into a corner. This shows that Ryo can be an aggressive, all-out brawler if need be and that he's capable of taking over a fight.

The 4 fights tie into the journey and narrative so well, just another reason why 2 is beyond a phenomenal game.

Last edited:

Oh God, its THOSE guys.

I shouldn't be surprised. Noticed a few personalities gleefully reporting on the EGS issue who are well known for putting out daily content which sees them screaming into their webcams about feminism in children's movies.

Oh God, its THOSE guys.

I shouldn't be surprised. Noticed a few personalities gleefully reporting on the EGS issue who are well known for putting out daily content which sees them screaming into their webcams about feminism in children's movies.
A guy called Maddox (used to run a fairly successful webpage before transitioning into YouTube) posted a video arguing the other side of the debate regarding the Borderlands 3 exclusivity deal. I can’t say I agreed with everything he said, but it was refreshing to see an ‘influencer’ refusing to pander to the masses and jump on the anti-epic bandwagon.

Grr... hate that too; surely one of the techie guys can disprove my statement (if it is indeed untrue), but it feels like Greg was programmed to be the easiest fight, from an actual fighting standpoint (I ALWAYS get him down to 3 orbs or less, if he throws me out) of the 4 fights.

EDIT* Made me think...

Ryo has 4 fights with 4 different disciplines and situations, which goes along with the whole, "training," and, "how far he's progressing and how much he's growing as a martial artist," narrative:

• Rod Stunt: Pancriatum, so lots of strikes mixed in with a bunch of throws and a normal-sized ring; this is an all-around fight, showing Ryo's overall growth.
  • Greg More: Wrestling, so lots of grabs and throws. How do you counter grabs and throws? Keep your distance and strike... but with a small ring, you're forced to have a very small space to work with, showing how Ryo can adapt to fighting styles and situations.
  • Chunyan: Jeet Kune Do, so a ton of very quick strikes and opportunities to counter must be well-timed and precise. Plus, with the implication in the game that you die if you fall off the edge, shows that Ryo has learned to not be an aggressive fighter; sit back and pick your spots, otherwise it may end up costing you your life.
  • Baihu: Being in a locked-in area with no ring-outs and an incredibly aggressive style, means a ton of countering and you being aggressive, so that you can't get backed into a corner. This shows that Ryo can be an aggressive, all-out brawler if need be and that he's capable of taking over a fight.
The 4 fights tie into the journey and narrative so well, just another reason why 2 is beyond a phenomenal game.

This and the other street fights you do as part of the scout stuff in Shenmue II are pretty much my favourite part of the game. I love how it nails the feel of a kung fu movie so well, working your way up through the ranks, fighting tougher and tougher fighters. Somehow manages to blend an adventure game and a fighter into one even better than before. Its something I'm hyped for 3, since you have quite a few opportunities to train different moves, and fight in an arena type setting against other practitioners of martial arts. Its not like Yakuza where its all sleazy underground fights, but rather disciplined training. I can't wait to see how 3 handles Ryo's training and journey, especially if he'll be running into Lan Di again...

Yeah. I felt this game is going to be in between 1 and 2 in size, but it sound like it will be bigger now.

EDIT* Made me think...

Grey More's cheap ass is beatable as long as you focus on counter-attacking. You want to know the secret to his undefeated streak? Well that big swing was it! Anyway If you do this, he is less likely to grab you. I mean I just keep pressing Y or the dodge button while moving around until he does something then misses. I hit him with one combo and go back to countering. Pretty much stick and move, keep your distance when dodging, in and out. Everyone else is easy at least, but with Baihu, you need to be alert when fighting. He is not hard, but you can't mess around either. Chunyan and Rod where easy though IMO so I have nothing to say about them.

This was one of the best parts of Shenmue II since it does test your ability to handle other styles of fighting.

A guy called Maddox (used to run a fairly successful webpage before transitioning into YouTube) posted a video arguing the other side of the debate regarding the Borderlands 3 exclusivity deal. I can’t say I agreed with everything he said, but it was refreshing to see an ‘influencer’ refusing to pander to the masses and jump on the anti-epic bandwagon.

Oh cool, I used to quite enjoy Maddox. I didn't know he was still doing Youtube and stuff, I'd forgotten all about him.

Back