Project Update #104: Shenmue 3 by Ys Net

I'm coming from the POV of "what if it never gets put in the game at all." Didn't they say it's been cut? So why not DLC?
I believe that their wording was ‘couldn’t be achieved’ which reads as it being impossible given the budget or time restraints. To suggest that something wasn’t possible during 4 and a half years of development only to have it show up as post launch DLC would really give the haters some ammunition.

From the POV of ‘if it never gets put in the game’, I would prefer it that way. As I said earlier in this thread, this is Ryo’s story and I was never sold on the idea of taking control of another character. Given the backlash the game has already faced, we could also do without giving people another reason to call the Kickstarter a scam (in fact, were this to happen, it might actually be the first legitimate reason they have to use that word).

I believe that their wording was ‘couldn’t be achieved’ which reads as it being impossible given the budget or time restraints. To suggest that something wasn’t possible during 4 and a half years of development only to have it show up as post launch DLC would really give the haters some ammunition.

From the POV of ‘if it never gets put in the game’, I would prefer it that way. As I said earlier in this thread, this is Ryo’s story and I was never sold on the idea of taking control of another character. Given the backlash the game has already faced, we could also do without giving people another reason to call the Kickstarter a scam (in fact, were this to happen, it might actually be the first legitimate reason they have to use that word).
I see no problem with it if the game sells well and it comes a year down the line. I doubt many people would remember by then let alone care.

I feel like your jumping down my throat tomboz, chill, jeeze. My simple point is it could be a nice addition to give fans something new while they wait on S4. Especially since YS seemed to be fond of the idea.

I see no problem with it if the game sells well and it comes a year down the line. I doubt many people would remember by then let alone care.
I’d care in as much that I’d feel a little disappointed that they told us that they would implement it if we gave them X amount of money only for them to completely go back on that and ask for more money for the very same thing five years later (having told us that it wasn’t possible to implement one year prior). I’d feel like I had been lied to in order to get my money.

I don’t think that’s their intention though and very much doubt that we will see the character perspective system in this game or any subsequent DLC. I expect that it simply wasn’t possible to put together on the budget they had.

I feel like you’re jumping down my throat tomboz, chill, jeeze. My simple point is it could be a nice addition to give fans something new while they wait on S4. Especially since YS seemed to be fond of the idea.
I’m sorry that you feel that way. It wasn’t at all my intention to make you feel this way, so I’ll avoid engaging you in conversation from this point on.

I ventured into YouTube comments. Predictably I wish I hadn’t. I saw one guy whining about how he wanted a refund for the PS4 version now. Yeah, because the EGS stuff really concerns console gamers now doesn’t it. Others who are urging people to take the refund to purposely tank the game.

I hate the whole “gamers are entitled” line but I do look at some of the over reactions and I can’t help but think “maybe they have a point when they say that.”

Yeah, this is just as depressing to read as it was last month.

I just watched a video of yongyea who I usually like say that we were promised a steam version. Does anyone have any kind of source on this? I keep seeing that everywhere yet the closest thing I saw was them saying that they originally planned to release it on steam when referring to the EGS deal.

I just watched a video of yongyea who I usually like say that we were promised a steam version. Does anyone have any kind of source on this? I keep seeing that everywhere yet the closest thing I saw was them saying that they originally planned to release it on steam when referring to the EGS deal.

The survey is probably the closest bet. Or the target specs. Which were both accompanied with the line Subject to Change. Any reasonable person knows that it means those specs weren’t set in stone. But unless someone can correct me, I don’t remember the initial Kickstarter ever mentioning Steam. It literally offered a PC version but made no mention of the delivery methods.

Last edited:
In my opinion, this was the best update ever from YsNet. The depth of the information the team provided had me going over it twice. Also, its point about SIII being bigger than SII put a battery pack in my back for real. I cannot wait to play it this November!*

* Like Valascaziel, I'm skeptical that it'll come out that month. Also, like him, I feel a delay to January 2020 is possible.

Just finished watching this video by prominent gaming Youtuber Yongyea.

He's actually quite fair and balanced in his assessment of the Epic controversy. He sees that Ys Net are trying to make it up to backers but criticizes the way it was handled. He goes on to state that they should've been forthright with backers about this before the deal was made. And then the rest of the video is spent criticizing Epic Stores CEO and his methods.

The comments were sadly what I pretty much predicted they weren't satisfied. I think what's sad is that they want Shenmue 3 to fail so as to use it as a bludgeon against Epic themselves. Just like I predicted. I wouldn't be surprised if the review bombing comes next despite Y's Net trying to make it up to them. I guess it's true what they say that trust is hard to earn but easy to destroy.

All we can do now is salvage what's left and push forward. Seeing these comments has inspired me to buy this game a sixth time. Because Shenmue's legacy will have to once again come from it's most devoted fans.

Last edited:
I fully support those who wish for a refund with the intention of believing they'd get a steam key or a physical data disc for pc.

But those who are jumping on the bandwagon, continuously pushing for the game to fail, or are outraged just for being outraged, or the latest mindf*uck, urging ps4 backers to go for a refund, or even jumping into threads to somehow show how morally righteous they are in fighting back against the evil EPIC games by saying lets boycott Shenmue 3, im sorry, but these people are BIG TIME LOSERS and im pretty sure they have no real life.

You have to be a very sad individual to indulge in this behavior after it has been resolved or go out of your way to find ways to sabotage the series. These people have existed before, trying to spit venom at the game at every opportunity, even before the EPIC situation.

This may sound harsh, but I truly believe these people are scum. I mean there's more important things to worry about in life than a video game, especially when the issue has been resolved in accordance to the wishes of the backers who requested a refund.

How on earth can you be a grown a$$ man and roam the internet looking for outrage or chances to destroy someone's creation? These people have bigger issues in their life other than a kickstarter game, mark my words.

Pathetic, sad, whiny individuals. Grow up, get a life and go and do something more productive with your time. Bunch of pu$$ies.

Seeing these comments has inspired me to buy this game a sixth time. Because Shenmue's legacy will have to once again come from it's most devoted fans.

Same man! I'm pretending that Shenmue 3 retail sales is almost like a Shenmue 4 Kickstarter and I'm getting my 'donation' in with these preorders.

If those trolls start a review bombing we should cooridinate and do the reverse things
It would be a case of making sure we get the Metacritic user reviews in. Youtube is much harder.

Angry responses incoming... scam accusations incoming... See you in a few days when the hyperbole and silliness dies down.

I wouldn’t think so. There’s not much people can complain if they’re offering refunds and everything they possibly can really.

Yep, you're right.

sees there are 14 more pages to read

God I hope you're right.

Just finished watching this video by prominent gaming Youtuber Yongyea.

He's actually quite fair and balanced in his assessment of the Epic controversy. He sees that Ys Net are trying to make it up to backers but criticizes the way it was handled. He goes on to state that they should've been forthright with backers about this before the deal was made. And then the rest of the video is spent criticizing Epic Stores CEO and his methods.

The comments were sadly what I pretty much predicted they weren't satisfied. I think what's sad is that they want Shenmue 3 to fail so as to use it as a bludgeon against Epic themselves. Just like I predicted. I wouldn't be surprised if the review bombing comes next despite Y's Net trying to make it up to them. I guess it's true what they say that trust is hard to earn but easy to destroy.

All we can do now is salvage what's left and push forward. Seeing these comments has inspired me to buy this game a sixth time. Because Shenmue's legacy will have to once again come from it's most devoted fans.
I didn't like his video very much.
He clearly doesn't know what Shenmue is. He doesn't even know how to say the name lol. (at least is now learning)
He's a commentator so he will make videos about anything that comes up so, it's not like he cares.
He cares about cyberpunk tho.
Also, his fanbase seems very anti Epic. The, Steam or pirate kind of people, wich I don't like and criticize.

I ventured into YouTube comments. Predictably I wish I hadn’t. I saw one guy whining about how he wanted a refund for the PS4 version now. Yeah, because the EGS stuff really concerns console gamers now doesn’t it. Others who are urging people to take the refund to purposely tank the game.

I hate the whole “gamers are entitled” line but I do look at some of the over reactions and I can’t help but think “maybe they have a point when they say that.”

Yeah, this is just as depressing to read as it was last month.

There's no doubt that these types of people are opportunists who found blood in the water. For those that think issuing refunds is going to tank this game it isn't. Epic are the ones paying for these refunds so that Y's Net/Deep Silver don't have to and affect the game's development. Epic also has plenty of Fortnite money to refund everyone and I doubt it'll even make a dent in their bank account.

So the people who want to sabotage this game aren't even going about it properly. The only way to get their wish is to let the free market decide. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if their next method is to bombard social media with messages discouraging people to buy Shenmue 3. If it comes to that we'll have to push harder with our wallets.

Last edited:
I didn't like his video very much.
He clearly doesn't know what Shenmue is. He doesn't even know how to say the name lol. (at least is now learning)
He's a commentator so he will make videos about anything that comes up so, it's not like he cares.
He cares about cyberpunk tho.
Also, his fanbase seems very anti Epic. The, Steam or pirate kind of people, wich I don't like and criticize.

Well he still has a large subscriber base that are influenced by his opinions.

Back