New Shenmue 3 Images from GameInformer - Warning: POSSIBLE DLC STORY SPOILERS

They may be, but I don't know. A lot can change in these final weeks/months of development, for certain.

Indications seem to be Game Informer played the full game, not a pre-cut demo like conventions or even what we played. So the fact that Ryo and Chai look that much more detailed may not solely be ol' PhotoShop.

Yu stated once that the game was much further along than people realized. Mayhaps he just played it all close to the vest due to his development method not lending itself well to early showings.
Yup Waterfall is the PR friendly but resource heavy method.
Agile is harder to work with PR wise, but not as taxing resource wise.

Does anyone have any information on this seemingly alternate design of Niao Sun? It seems like the Shenmue III design is based off of this but I can't find out where it comes from or anything about it.
latest

This is a mission to our hero from Phantom River Stone blog !

I wonder if Niao Sun’s more reddish hair was made to reinforce her position as The Phoenix and keep with the colour red. I really like the new look personally.

Could just be the lighting but it seems like everyone in Shenmue land seems to be reaching for the hair dye lately what with Ryo’s brownish hair in some screens and now Niao Sun. I mean it has been 20 years so gotta cover those greys I guess.

Am I high right now? Or is this the same Shenmue 3 that was being funded on a Kickstarter budget? How can this look so bloody amazing?

Also, loving Niao Sun's updated 2019 look!

Dude. That's really what comes down to.
Yu Suzuki is a master of this video game shit. How many time did we hear that? It's not by accident.
He knew from the beginning what sacrifices he would have to make, and made them like a man. Knowing it would be for the better overall experience. Clearly he opted to give a complete, full, fun and detailed expirence rather that put some stupid ass actors in his studio making face-mo-cap. He knows what he's fucking doing.
We will soon have a masterpiece on our hands.

Some of you may remember I said this game was going to surprise a lot of people.
And the demo by itself already did.
Now, it comes to my mind that the game not only going to surprise, but its going to blow many peoples minds.

Yu Suzuki is a living legend in video-game world. He's no schmo.
Then I see people getting all depressed and cry over the lipsync or the colour of a hair or dress... Jesus... what a bunch of pussies. with all respect.
(criticizing is allowed ofc, this is just what I think. )

Last edited:
Wow.. that Niao Sun re-design is going to be very controversial... I'm not so sure I'm taken with it. I think the lack of detail in the straggly hair missing from the previous design is a shame and she just doesn't seem as menacing as before, like before she seemed to have a wicked scowl. but we'll see how she turns out in the main game, glad she is confirmed at least :)

So it isn't her...? I mean we have to keep in consideration that while we've seen footage an source material for her for years, technically she has not officially appeared within a game or any official canon other than the Side Story comic... so all the Dreamcast Engine footage which we identify her in could easily be overlooked because if they DID change her design it would hardly break consistency as we have never been introduced to her in-game yet.

But then of course there is that moment in the early trailer where she was in the background accidentally(?) - Her design looks similar to her original version but then you could argue the trainer Ryo is fighting has undergone a massive change since too!:
1570007898986.png

Last edited:
It is her. It's always been her. She's even on the front page of the Kickstarter.

Niao Sun - Deadly siren of the Chi You Men

Niao Sun - Deadly siren of the Chi You Men

Red dress. Black hair. Femme fatale concept. It's always been Niao Sun.

On one hand, that outfit looks like a bit of a disappointment in term of design. Less refined and elaborated that the old one.
On the other hand, it looks more practical to animate but also for fighting.

Also, all those screens looks amazing

Not a fan of that "new Niao Sun". (if its her) The old design looks way more unique with the hair,
the evil smile and the serious stare.
The old design looks like a elegant and beautiful but dangerous woman that you want to meet but you will regret it.
The new design just looks like a beautiful random woman.
If somebody would tell me that this is a new character in Dead or Alive, i would believe them.
Its pretty much the exact same problem i have with the new Shenhua. The new Shenhua is "just a pretty girl".
Not that it makes me mad or anything, i just think it could be more unique.

If back in 2001 or whatever someone would have shown me character screenshots for the 2019 Shenmue 3
"here this is 2019 Ryo, Ren, Chai, Lan Di, Shenhua and Niao Sun"
i would have commented "thats not Shenhua and Niao Sun."

Last edited:
Back