My Anime List (MAL) - Rating

What a load of bollocks. I have as much right to post as anybody else, and if people are going to reply directly to me or get the wrong idea and call opinions like mine "negative" then I have every right to defend my position.

Also, I am not everwhere in every thread on here and MAL whinging 24/7. I have left a handful of posts in this thread and the episode thread, and a total of 3 posts in one single thread on MAL, so stop with the ridiculous exaggerations.
FU9GFAk.png

What a load of bollocks. I have as much right to post as anybody else, and if people are going to reply directly to me or get the wrong idea and call opinions like mine "negative" then I have every right to defend my position.

Also, I am not everwhere in every thread on here and MAL whinging 24/7. I have left a handful of posts in this thread and the episode thread, and a total of 3 posts in one single thread on MAL, so stop with the ridiculous exaggerations.
Polite notice to both of you to drop this conversation now please.

In my opinion the MyAnimeList rating system makes no sense to me, rating an entire season with just one episode? no sense with this, i know we can update our rating in MyAnimeList but it is not rating per episode. Crunchyroll is different, in Crunchyroll we can rate per episode, every episode is a different rating, this way is better.

It honestly saddens me to see these things, people are not obligated to like the anime, people can rate the way they want but now people are even fighting over these things, regardless of whether people like the anime or not it's a time to celebrate that the Shenmue franchise is alive, when I say celebrate I'm not saying people have to like the anime, I'm just saying it's time for good moments in the Shenmue community and not fights.

Sad to see this things happening.

Last edited:
In my opinion the MyAnimeList rating system makes no sense to me, rating an entire season with just one episode? no sense with this, Crunchyroll is different, crunchyroll we can rate per episode, this way is better.

It honestly saddens me to see these things, people are not obligated to like the anime, people can rate the way they want but now people are even fighting over these things, regardless of whether people like the anime or not it's a time to celebrate that the Shenmue franchise is alive, when I say celebrate I'm not saying people have to like the anime, I'm just saying it's time for good moments in the Shenmue community and not fights.

Sad to see this things happening.
I think it was designed to have you rate a series as you go, those people that are rating it now will likely change their overall score as the series goes on. If they drop the series altogether, most people will just settle on the score they have already given. I actually like this kind of way of voting, the real issue I have always had is that people don't actually use MAL ratings system as it was designed.

A 5 on MAL is average, but a lot of people on MAL will say a 5 is unwatchable and see a 5 as a 1 or 2. Then you have the opposite end where a 7 or even sometimes an 8 is considered average by some people. I don't understand this way of thinking in all honesty. I see it in video games a lot more. A lot of people won't even touch a game that is rated a 6 or 7 these days.

I think it was designed to have you rate a series as you go, those people that are rating it now will likely change their overall score as the series goes on. If they drop the series altogether, most people will just settle on the score they have already given. I actually like this kind of way of voting, the real issue I have always had is that people don't actually use MAL ratings system as it was designed.

A 5 on MAL is average, but a lot of people on MAL will say a 5 is unwatchable and see a 5 as a 1 or 2. Then you have the opposite end where a 7 or even sometimes an 8 is considered average by some people. I don't understand this way of thinking in all honesty. I see it in video games a lot more. A lot of people won't even touch a game that is rated a 6 or 7 these days.

I still think that the Crunchyroll rating system per episode is much better, rating per episode is much better in my opinion.

if it is down to weighted scores then it only feeds into my view that weighted scores suck. Why should a system value one persons score over another (even if that can be gamed a little).
To be clear, MAL apparently does not do this. It weights new series with relatively few user ratings toward the average score of all the series on the website, which appears to be somewhere in the mid-6s.

Once a show reaches a certain number of user scores (thousands? tens of thousands? It's not clear without knowing what the minimum number of user scores is), then it starts to weight toward the average of the user scores for that show.

I did vote, along with friend who is also a fan.
The average is still the same, even though 40 persons including dojo guys did vote in the meantime.
I read in this thread that "Scores from users who have not viewed 1/5 of the series upon its completion are not included". So I guess that the reviewers who did vote that low lied about the episodes they saw and put 3 episodes watched at least. This kind of fake votes should be erased from that website.
I'm fairly certain what this is saying is that when the series is finished, it will update the score and throw out any scores from users that haven't reported viewing more than 20% of the series (<3 episodes, in this case, if they do it on a per-season basis).

I understand some of the nerves around this in the community, but there's a time and a place for zeal, and this is not one of them. You're not necessarily going to be able to brute force this with immediate feedback. It's set up to be a system robust to sudden changes in the early going, when the data set is small. As the data set gets larger, then the confidence level of that data set improves, and that's when actual user scores become more relevant to the final score.

Everyone will have to learn to be a little patient about not seeing immediate responses with the MAL viewer score.

No, that is not like that. There are many fantastic animes that have a very low score on My Anime List that do not do them justice at all. I will not go into examples, but if it is not the morbid anime in fashion, any anime has a risk of ending like that in that web.

Shenmue score at the end can be even low than now. Everybody can rate in that site, people of all ages, and with what they entail.

Just go through some of their forums and see the quality of some of their members and discussions.

Last edited:
No, that is not like that. There are many fantastic animes that have a very low score on My Anime List that do not do them justice at all. I will not go into examples, but if it is not the morbid anime in fashion, any anime has a risk of ending like that in that web.

Shenmue score at the end can be even low than now. Everybody can rate in that site, people of all ages, and with what they entail.

Just go through some of their forums and see the quality of some of their members and discussions.
I understand the fear of the anime having a low score on MAL, but that's not the issue here. If you go into the stats tab, and average the user scores it already has, the score would be in the 7s. The reason it does not show up that way on the main page is because there aren't enough user scores to shift the bias away from the MAL site average of ~6.5 that MAL uses in their calculations.

I'm not saying to not go rate it on MAL. I'm trying to urge people to be smarter about it. It's not a set it and forget it sort of system like a lot of other sites, and it seems to require a lot of user scores before any influence is seen. There's no sense in lamenting it showing 6.73 right now, is what I'm saying. You won't see anything approaching the actual user average until there are many more user ratings.

It's all subjective at the end of the day. What you consider to be fantastic animes, somebody else will feel the complete opposite.

A lot of MAL's top 20 shows probably wouldn't make my top 100, like Clannad, Your Lie in April and Hunter x Hunter. Then there are other shows like Dai-Guard, Yu Yu Hakusho and Noragami that I would have way higher on the list.

If you go into the stats tab, and average the user scores it already has, the score would be in the 7s. The reason it does not show up that way on the main page is because there aren't enough user scores to shift the bias away from the MAL site average of ~6.5 that MAL uses in their calculations.

That happen to some degree, but what I say is also true. Some good animes have a 9 after just one episode and another ones have a 5 approximate or less after the end. The rest I think I have explained enough, I don't like to repeat myself.

Last edited:
I understand the fear of the anime having a low score on MAL, but that's not the issue here. If you go into the stats tab, and average the user scores it already has, the score would be in the 7s. The reason it does not show up that way on the main page is because there aren't enough user scores to shift the bias away from the MAL site average of ~6.5 that MAL uses in their calculations.

I'm not saying to not go rate it on MAL. I'm trying to urge people to be smarter about it. It's not a set it and forget it sort of system like a lot of other sites, and it seems to require a lot of user scores before any influence is seen. There's no sense in lamenting it showing 6.73 right now, is what I'm saying. You won't see anything approaching the actual user average until there are many more user ratings.
I did some digging, and it looks like I need to clarify a couple things. It looks like "m" (the minimum number of user scores in the weighted score calculation) is 50, which is a lot lower than I had suspected. The average score of shows on MAL, as of last year, seems to be 6.38.

So here's what I can say:
The weight applied to the user average, with 423 user scores would be (423/(423+50)) = 0.8943. 89.43%
The weight applied to the site average, with 423 user scores would be (50/(423+50)) = 0.1057. 10.57%
With a site average of 6.38, that's a base score of 6.38 * 0.1057 = 0.6744.
We could find the average user score "S" for this as S = (6.73-0.6744)/0.8943 ~= 6.77

However, this is not the case. The average of the user scores in the stats tab is ~7.63. This indicates that it's not using certain scores in the calculation. They only report discriminating along two criteria: Accounts made to manipulate scores, and scores from users who have only reported watching less than 20% of the series. One of the two is coming into play here. I don't see a way to filter on number of episodes people have watched, to verify what data points are being used.

That happen to some degree, but what I say is also true. Some good animes have a 9 after just one episode and another ones have a 5 approximate or less after the end. The rest I think I have explained enough, I don't like to repeat myself.
I see what you're saying. Diving into their methods, though, this doesn't seem possible unless it were for movies, short OVAs, or scores not generated from a bunch of new accounts. I might try to dig around on some other new stuff to see how they cull the data sets, but in general, their methods are fairly well documented.

Edit: Part of what I'm trying to get at here is that it doesn't really do any good to try to organize people to go rate it on MAL, with the expectation that it will drive up the score, and then worry about the score not changing much if that isn't how the system is set up. It's important to know how it works in order to effectively improve the results.

Last edited:
I'm not keen on becoming a member for new sites, but for Shenmue i'll do it. I've rated some other anime so as to not give off the impression i'm a one and done person (although once i've done that, I am done haha).

Sad to see some people play politics when all we want is to get others interested in it. If you don't like it, fair play - at least you've watched it, but don't act like a dick to get attention. I'll forget you within seconds.

Most of us here just want Shenmue to continue gaining fans and for Yu Suzuki to get the chance to finish the series. No one's trying to trick naive kids into watching Shenmue against their will. I think you need to consider the history of this series and its fans before you pass judgment. Again, I've not joined the site and have not encouraged anyone to behave in any way, but it's pretty clear to me why Shenmue fans would do anything they can to promote this series. There's no way this website's gonna be able to brute force the score to the point it enters the Top 100, so why worry?

I've spent way too much time looking at stats pages, and really all I got from it was that they score things as they say they do.
Delicious Party Precure is in basically the same boat as Shenmue the Animation (Feb 6 release, atypical user score distribution, <7 weighted score):

This distribution is less unusual than Shenmue's but the average user score is actually higher (8.35). Even with an estimate of the weighted score based on the number of user scores, I got a 7.97. The weighted score is only a 6.92.

1644277176866.png1644277213997.png

Neither case here demonstrates a typical distribution. Presumably, the average MAL user thinks these are about 7/10 shows after 1 episode, and fans of the properties believe they're 10/10, but my presumption is that the site looks at this sort of volume of outlier data and removes some from the weighted score based on account activity associated with them.

All of the other new shows I looked at were past their 4th episodes, and the user score data pretty well matched the weighted score based on the formula they give. There's also only a handful of new shows (5) in the season that are above an 8 for weighted score, and only 1 show that's above a 9 (Attack on Titan: The Final Season Part 2 at 9.15--I don't really understand how this is "new," though. Almost every part of that subtitle seems like it would disqualify it from that distinction).

Precure doesn't have a series length associated with it like Shenmue, so while it doesn't have to be the case that it applies to Shenmue also, I'm assuming that's an indication they don't start considering what percentage of the series is being rated at its start date.

Also like... it's an anime listings website, not bank fraud. 😂
It's not really the nature of the crime, it's more about whether the juice is worth the squeeze. I'm seeing some decent evidence to suggest that just sending people over to MAL to make an account and drop a rating is a wasted effort, that potentially won't have it counted. At the very least, the scores will need to be babysit to a certain extent in order to ensure that they meet the 20% viewed criteria at the end of the shows run.

There's also potentially the consideration that wantonly storming into another community without knowing any of its rules to try to use the platform to signal boost and move on isn't a very good look, and may engender more animosity than goodwill in the target community. From the outside looking in, I feel it looks like a pump and dump, and I think that may be liable to do more harm than good. At this point, I'm washing my hands of this, though. It's not of significant enough consequence to me.

Voted in MAL, any idea on how to vote in the Crunchy Roll mobile app? Also it seems that on the app I only see spanish people commenting, not sure is there is region filter or what

Voted in MAL, any idea on how to vote in the Crunchy Roll mobile app? Also it seems that on the app I only see spanish people commenting, not sure is there is region filter or what
Yes, there is region filter. For vote you need to create an account.

Also, very important to sum reproductions on Crunchyroll, for example I watch the episode 1 once a day.

Back