My Anime List (MAL) - Rating

I just finished reading the comments on MAL and it's encourgaing to see a lot of positive remarks. Seems at odds with the score, but what can you do? One of the mods of the website is a huge fan and has been writing some good things!
This wouldn’t happen to be the same mod who was berating fans for not understanding the true meaning of Shenmue, would it? I almost signed up just to tell them what a massive tool they sounded like, but figured I’d probably just get banned for my troubles.

This wouldn’t happen to be the same mod who was berating fans for not understanding the true meaning of Shenmue, would it? I almost signed up just to tell them what a massive tool they sounded like, but figured I’d probably just get banned for my troubles.
It's ShadowMonkey, and I don't think he sounds like a tool at all. I think he's 100% spot on tbh.

It's ShadowMonkey, and I don't think he sounds like a tool at all. I think he's 100% spot on tbh.
Each to their own, but I’m personally not a big fan of people calling other people fake fans because they have a different opinion, nor am I particularly receptive to the idea that there is one thing that makes Shenmue great (a subjective notion in and of itself) and that anybody who likes something different about it somehow doesn’t understand Shenmue. It’s one step away from gatekeeping and would be shut down pretty quickly among most fandoms.

So odd. IMDB it's much higher. I'd suggest that's down to the fact it aggregates the scores without a weighting.

We need to keep reviewing, episode by episode. Outside of MAL things seem much more positive.

Screenshot_20220218-082709_Chrome.jpg

Each to their own, but I’m personally not a big fan of people calling other people fake fans because they have a different opinion, nor am I particularly receptive to the idea that there is one thing that makes Shenmue great (a subjective notion in and of itself) and that anybody who likes something different about it somehow doesn’t understand Shenmue. It’s one step away from gatekeeping and would be shut down pretty quickly among most fandoms.
Yeah, agree to disagree there. I've got no problem calling people shite fans if they've got shite opinions and they're just negative whingebags 24/7.

We need to keep reviewing, episode by episode. Outside of MAL things seem much more positive.
Agree. The number will improve as the season goes on and people that rated only the first episode have their score disqualified from the rating. The best we can do is keep babysitting our episodes watched listing each week.

Last edited:

Seeing the overwhelmingly positive reaction in the discussion threads on MAL, especially from non-game fans, is awesome. I've had this experience irl too. My friends who don't know/give a shit about Shenmue are all saying that they love the anime, and it's made them interested in checking out the games.

Added my scores for last weeks and this weeks episodes. Not the highest I could possibly give, but still have been pretty high due to how happy I have been with them, particularly with attention to detail. I will save a top score for an episode that really makes me shout out "Holy F", which may be hard, considering we all know the story. But if the story is to be finished as an anime, the next season would be an absolute no miss. Even if its on at 4am.

Back