Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive for PC Version!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw they are refusing refunds. This is going to get VERY ugly.

Oh man ... I'm so sorry for those of you burned by this. I love Shenmue, but this puts it into a really bad place.

Look for mass credit card companies just snatching the funds back anyway. Backers will just call them to take it back.

The development funds have already been spent. It’s not going to detract from the development quality of Shenmue.

What a day its been. I feel like I’ve just gone through labor with all this crazy Epic store news

Makes me worried for Shenmue's future. I mean, the user scores on Metacritic will be worse than No Man's Sky because of this supposed betrayal... Bad press will forever surround the series, and sales will suffer a lot too. If the future of Shenmue is killed because of the change to a launcher people dislike, I will melt.

I think people over react but I also think they have the right to a refund and them being denied that is scummy, not gonna lie.

Big yikes. I'm one of the people who don't mind it going to Epic but this is a nasty burn towards those who want a refund. It puts YsNet in a bad light and that hurts to type. Still think this is all Deep Silver though.

hard to tell, it says "posted by YS Net"
and the message "... it was decided together with Deep Silver after much discussion
that the Epic Games Store would be the best distribution platform option."

They can refuse refunds all day long, CC companies make the decision. Capital One yanked the funds back for Elysian Shadows without a second thought. All I had to do was show they missed the agreed upon delivery date, which Shenmue 3 has obviously done. They've also now officially stated they changed the product giving everything you need for a refund.

Its extremely unfortunate that it was handled like this. I hope some lessons are learned for everyone involved.

I’m watching people talking about suing Ys Net and calling Yu Suzuki a scam artist and scumbag on another forum. I’m starting to feel really sick about this. It doesn’t feel real. This is going to massively impact this franchise and Ys Net’s future if an angel doesn’t descend from heaven very soon...

It has to be a timed exclusive. The Steam page now says coming soon

https://store.steampowered.com/app/878670/Shenmue_III/

q7p9F1R.png

I had a feeling but did not say anything same thing with borderlands 3.

It being a timed exclusive isn’t going to change anything. Refunds, taking the whole deal back won’t change anything. The floodgates opened and the game is no tainted with the stink of scandal. Deep Silver are fucking idiots. Some of the biggest Shenmue fans I know are already demanding refunds. This is a very bad day in Shenmue’s history...

hard to tell, it says "posted by YS Net"
and the message "... it was decided together with Deep Silver after much discussion
that the Epic Games Store would be the best distribution platform option."

It has to say YsNet as YsNet made the campaign. As for the rest, YsNet had to agree because funding. The KS money has obviously run out and they have to get money from somewhere. This was the only way Deep Silver would give them more funds. My theory.

Honest to God, whoever made this decision needs to go.
This decision will not have been made by a single person. They will have known exactly how the community were going to respond and spent a lot of time weighing up the pros and cons.

I expect that they figured they weren’t going to get much through pc sales and so were better off getting a chunk of cash from Unreal and a lower cost for publishing the game. I can’t imagine it has anything to do with the cut they get, because although they’ll be getting a higher percentage, it will be of a significantly smaller amount. Short-sighted, for sure.

That said, watching the trailer yesterday reaffirmed my belief that this game isn’t going to sell well outside of the pre-existing fanbase. It looks like a game from the early 2000’s. Why would anybody spend their money on the third game in a series that they haven’t played before that looks like trash compared to the other options?

That said, watching the trailer yesterday reaffirmed my belief that this game isn’t going to sell well outside of the pre-existing fanbase. It looks like a game from the early 2000’s. Why would anybody spend their money on the third game in a series that they haven’t played before that looks like trash compared to the other options?

It looks way better than PS2/Gamecube/Xbox. The environments especially look really great. Character models look like PS3 but environments like PS4

Tom, I think you’re right, but it really wounds me to see people talking about Yu Suzuki in such negative terms. That’s the really shitty thing about today. It’s tainted him. The Resetera thread is getting ugly.

It has to say YsNet as YsNet made the campaign. As for the rest, YsNet had to agree because funding. The KS money has obviously run out and they have to get money from somewhere. This was the only way Deep Silver would give them more funds. My theory.

i dont know, i mean of course thats a possibility but there are at least 10-20 different theories that would make sense too.
we will never know who exactly decided what.

I know many are incensed-- I detect some of it moving to sadness-- but it surprises me that some (besides outsiders and those trying to stir stuff for attention) would accuse Yu Suzuki of being a scam artist.

I'd guess that he personally had little to do with it. Just as he couldn't control Peter Moore gobbling up the NA version of S2, I sincerely doubt he'd be rubbing his hands here or running off with cash while he could. If so, standing up on that stage today would be almost sociopathic. I mean, he doesn't work for Bethesda! (laugh track)

That said... I do think the Kickstarter updates (from whomever) have been a little terse lately, and the tone-- especially with the admission that refunds aren't happening-- could've been a little warmer.

Tom, I think you’re right, but it really wounds me to see people talking about Yu Suzuki in such negative terms. That’s the really shitty thing about today. It’s tainted him. The Resetera thread is getting ugly.
Did it ever occur to you that perhaps it is warranted? I’m choosing to reserve judgement until more information emerges, but I find it very hard to believe that he didn’t greenlight this decision. I suppose it could be argued that his lack of understanding of the current gaming climate may have had an impact, but given the trust (and money) that was invested in him by the backers, do you not think he had a responsibility to at the very least have somebody working close to him who can make these decisions for him? I suspect he failed to do his due diligence which seems odd for a man as meticulous as him.

No achievements if they do that. If epic makes it better or as good as steam probably would not have a problem. If it was a option on steam then it should still be available and if not then they betrayed customers if it was advertising steam.
I want to note that GOG has achievements and it's games are DRM free.

Someone on the Kickstarter comments literally said he should get bone cancer. It's been a rough day. I hope people at least calm down, it's fine to be upset but actual rage over a video game is never a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back