General RGG Discussion

I'm kinda shocked they're building Ishin on Unreal Engine 4 and not using the Dragon Engine for it. Makes me wonder, are they putting the Dragon Engine to rest going forward?

I was half expecting Yakuza 8 as I figued it was maybe time for the next mainline game, but I'll glady take Ishin.

I guess Yakuza 8 is next year then? Which wouldn't be a bad thing. Let them take their time with that one.

Theres still the official RGG showcase in less than 9 hours.
Its possible that Like A Dragon 2 will show up there because why would Sega announce everything at a State of Play
when they know that they have a international RGG stream on the next day.

I'm not sure on the Unreal Engine thing. Maybe Unreal Engine is simply easier and faster to use
if we keep in mind that they probably have / had to look for some new team members?
Maybe Nagoshi or someone who left actually owns the rights of the Dragon engine? I don't know
but it seems a bit suspicious that they are simply using Unreal Engine all of a sudden.

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought immediately that it wasn’t running on the dragon engine. Ishin was always a fantastic looking game. Haven’t played it in a long time, but I thought the graphics in this release looked very, very similar to the original.

I can't be the only one slightely irked by the name?

Why not call it 'Yakuza: Ishin - Kiwami Edition' or 'Ishin: Kiwami' with Yakuza in small text like on Yakuza: Like A Dragons case? I'm just very confused by this. I know it's a Spin-Off but still I can't help but feel it makes the series a little more confusing.

Maybe we'll see an announcement of Like A Dragon II & That will be the Yakuza Franchises title going forward but this title in particular shouldn't have been called LaD still...

Beyond that, seems alright. I was never to bothered about this title compared to most. I was more eager to get the rest of the series put on modern systems - Which they've done and I'm very grateful for! I'm sure I will pick this up down the road.

I am really glad that Ishin is getting an English release. I wanted to play this game for years but could not get into it due to my very basic japanese skills. I already gave up hope that is going to be released. I will buy it day one for sure.

WHAT

IS THAT REAL BRO?

DONT PLAY WITH MY FEELINGS
No i won't play with my feeling too 🤣 , yes it is real but it a leak so its not 100% confirmed but its like 95% confirmed they will probably announce it tonight on their showcase. We'll see finger crossed

I can't be the only one slightely irked by the name?

Why not call it 'Yakuza: Ishin - Kiwami Edition' or 'Ishin: Kiwami' with Yakuza in small text like on Yakuza: Like A Dragons case? I'm just very confused by this. I know it's a Spin-Off but still I can't help but feel it makes the series a little more confusing.

Maybe we'll see an announcement of Like A Dragon II & That will be the Yakuza Franchises title going forward but this title in particular shouldn't have been called LaD still...

Beyond that, seems alright. I was never to bothered about this title compared to most. I was more eager to get the rest of the series put on modern systems - Which they've done and I'm very grateful for! I'm sure I will pick this up down the road.
I think the game is called ishin kiwami in japan

Ishin, Judgment, Lost Judgment, and Yakuza 8 all coming to PC within the next 12 months...

I'm happy, but this has given me flashbacks to when the series first came to Steam and there was a new release like every couple months. 😬

Will try not to burn out before 8 launches, unless all this is to excuse 8 being more than a year away.

Yakuza 8 arrives in 2024(!) (PS, Xbox, PC)
and Ichiban + Kiryu will both be the main characters.
It will have the RPG gameplay like 7.

They said the storyline is a big secret and they cant tell us yet why Kiryu is back and what its all about.
Kiryu will have a new fighting style in 8.
They said its gonna be their biggest game.

Last edited:
Like A Dragon Gaiden announced. Comes out in 2023 for XBOX, PS, PC
It will explain what exactly happened to Kiryu after Yakuza 6 and how he ended up in the story of 7 and 8.
Its gonna be a classic Yakuza action game, not RPG.
Its gonna be about half the size in comparison to other Yakuza games.

Last edited:
This is amazing news but I'm completely slammed with Yakuza games. Just started playing Yakuza Kiwami 2. Still got 3-7, Judgment and now Ishin, Gaiden and 8. RIP to all other game series except the new Zelda I always got time for Link.

Oh man. I totally forgot about the stream this morning. I was gonna pick up Ishin Kiwami regardless, but now that Riki Takeuchi and Hitoshi Ozawa are brought back as characters this time (among others), I’m sold!

And I hope Kiryu’s design for Yakuza 8 isn’t final. They got him looking like some punk-ass BTS Korean pop star 😂

It will explain what exactly happened to Kiryu after Yakuza 6 and how he ended up in the story of 7 and 8.

Yeah, not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, I'll always gladly take more Kiryu. But on the other, from a story purpose, I kind of don't like the fact that they keep bringing him back. I kind of wish they would just retire the character all together after Yakuza 6. But hey, I'm one of those weird ones who liked Yakuza 6's ending and liked the idea of Kiryu making a sacrifice for the better of Haruka. It just feels like they're gonna end up retconning Yakuza 6 at some point by bringing Haruka and Kiryu back together to satisfy those who hated the end of Yakuza 6.

I don't know, maybe I'm just over this franchise as a whole. It's getting a bit long in the tooth now. I like my stories to have a beginning/middle/end and this just feels like they're dragging it on for the sake of it. I'm sure I'll play both Gaiden and 8 when they drop, but yeah...I still kind of wish they would let RGG studios move on to something else entirely. But they're not gonna do that when RGG finally has steam in the west.

At least the two year development cycle for 8 might let them iron out some of the problems I had with Y7. I still think it would be kind of awesome if they figured out a way to let people switch gameplay styles on the fly. Like if you want it to be turn based RPG or typical RGG action game then you can switch it out on the fly. But I don't think it would work in terms of difficulty balancing.

So long as they figure out how to make the grinding less of a pain.

Last edited:
Does anybody know which languages (text) are confirmed for Like A Dragon Ishin?
Is it english only or does it have spanish, german etc menus, subtitles too?
Cant find any information

The main character looks similar to Kiryu and I think I saw Goro in the trailer. Also the main bad guy in Kiwami 2 was in the trailer.
See? This is what I mean about fans not knowing anything about what happened in 2013 (not giving you shit at all, Bruce, so don't think I'm being a prick! lol).

In 2013, before Ishin! was released, RGG Studios did a, "Character Election," where you had 10 votes (or was it 3? Can't remember exactly and why I can't, I'll explain below lol) to vote on about 80 or so characters from the past games. We didn't know why at the time, but we figured that the next title would include the older characters, somehow.

Fast forward a few more months and the election ends: Ishin! is then revealed and tells a slightly-altered version of the Meiji Restoration period in Japan, involving Sakamoto Ryoma and the Shinsengumi.

As Ryoma was the protagonist of the real-life Meiji restoration, Kiryu plays him (in sorts; you need to pay attention, otherwise the penultimate chapter will confuse you to death) and some of the 20 highest characters in terms of voting in the election, become the rest of the Shinsengumi, which are 12 guys. The other prominent vote getters (Akiyama, Goda Ryuji) play other important roles in the game, based on real-life people of the time.

My only silver-lining in this release (aside from money being made, of course) is that this will allow people to get a bit more-interested in Japanese history, which is just awesome: a country that small normally doesn't have THAT rich a history, outside of Europe. Otherwise, the majority of the west will not appreciate this wonderful game for what it is.

But yeah, through an exploitable glitch involving cookies/clearing cache, you were able to vote unlimited amounts each day, so I gave Kashiwagi a good 100+ votes a day, just myself, to get him into the top 10 (and he made 12th). If anyone wishes to see the results:

I'm kinda shocked they're building Ishin on Unreal Engine 4 and not using the Dragon Engine for it. Makes me wonder, are they putting the Dragon Engine to rest going forward?

I was half expecting Yakuza 8 as I figued it was maybe time for the next mainline game, but I'll glady take Ishin.

I guess Yakuza 8 is next year then? Which wouldn't be a bad thing. Let them take their time with that one.

The game came out on Unreal 4, so this is just a revamp; EVERYTHING is literally in place already, there's no need to remake from the ground up, especially since the original title on PS4 looked so good in the first place.

As I've played this game 3 times already in Japanese (with a guide), I will not be purchasing this, as there's no need to go through it AGAIN lol.

It's one of the 7 best titles in the series though, on-par with 0, but not as good as 3, 5, 7, Lost Judgement.

Last edited:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unlike Dan, I think I may be anticipating this game even more than 8! :LOL: (or maybe not)

I agree that it would've been nice to retire the character, but this is more-than welcome: if they kept him out of 7, I wouldn't have even thought about a Gaiden, but because they brought him back, questions needed to be answered.

And yeah, that hairstyle better be a temporary thing, related to events in the plot of 8, 'cause **** that lol.

I think Kiryus hair in Yakuza 8 is just bait.
You know, like every single new Yakuza story trailer is always cut in a way to make you believe
that this is the enemy or this person is going to die
but then in the actual game those are totally different scenes
or theres a cut with a totally different outcome. Thats literally every RGG story trailer.

So i think this is going to be a same kind of situation here.
They 100% know that the hair will immediately gain everyones attention
and wtf is going on oh no. This was designed on purpose. Shown as a first look an purpose.
So i wouldnt be surprised at all if this is another classic RGG bait and thats not actual Kiryus normal look
or what Kiryu thinks is cool now. Instead its gonna have a very specific reason
but we dont have the context.

Back