110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

To be fair, this was no Super Eyepatch Wolf hatchet job for easy views. RGT85 does appear to have real affection for the series. He’s just not up to speed with the situation. It’s a fairly positive video about his nostalgia for the series, it’s just a pity he got a number of his facts wrong (and that he missed the entire point of the Shenmue saga).
RGT is a decent guy, I feel, but his videos are fucking awful. He comes across as likeable, so I feel mean saying that, but I just can't watch his videos. As a Youtuber, I would consider him tabloid-esque. He comes across like a kid with ADHD. He talks so quickly and is over the top and animated and he always has very by numbers, one dimensional opinions. "Shenmue 3 sucks and they should just end it as an anime, with Ryo kicking Lan Di's ass" is so clichéd. I remember reading that bollocks in 2019 after the game came out, I remember reading it in 2015 when people were "outraged" that the third game won't conclude the series. Hell, I remember reading it in the mid 2000s when it seemed like the third game would never come out.

It is so ridiculously stupid that it actually offends me and makes me want to smash my head against a wall. According to these people, every piece of lore, all the different threads that have been woven in the three games, all the clues and different pieces of the story needs to he reduced to nothing but a simple "boy witnesses dad being murdered, boy gets revenge and kills his father's murderer, the end" story. It just misses the fundamental point of the story.

Some people are so daft.

Last edited:
@Sailor-San quick! The weird phenomena its happening, see? We are getting closerrrr to the announce baby. Omg Reprise is like under the effect of a some comet or radiowaves lol.

The best part is start is a decent guy and ends smashing heads on walls yaaaaayaaaaaa XD omg S4 disturbances lol

Last edited:
What the ... is happening :D
Sorry mate, I forgot doing that send notification. Im loving Reprise post, is awesome. I started reading like "he seems to like the guy, sympathetic start..." and then the havoc XD
This is explosions of rage occurs every date in our S4 calendar, the previous two weeks of the marked day. Im not lying, its engraved there in previous pages and threads, people looses it.
If one has played Loom is obvious the reason is Shenmue 4 echoing.... Sorry mate

There was quite a interesting part in the german Gamestar Gamescom event stream today.
They showed and talked about 110 Industries new game Wanted Dead
(their preview opinion was actually pretty positive because these type of games are not being made anymore nowadays)
The moderator said he talked with the CEO of 110 Industries (he didnt say his name)
and the interesting part was that the game Wanted Dead only came into existence
because the CEO of 110 Industries looked for a company that can make exactly this type of game.

So it wasnt the developer that had to look for a publisher with a prototype, it was 110 Industries
who already came with the budget, idea and everything, looking for someone who can develop this game.
And 110 Industries knows that this game wont reach a super huge crowd but thats just the type of game he wanted to do.

So IF the 110 Industries CEO is really a Shenmue fan (?), i guess YS Net would have an easy time with 110 Industries
because YS Net probably wouldnt even have to convince them.
110 Industries would already come with the ressources and say lets do it.
So thats already way easier than YS Net looking for deals and who wants to fund what
and does the publisher get the concept of Shenmue etc. All of these problems would be gone.
So the only question now is how big of a Shenmue fan is the CEO of 110 Industries?

If hes actual serious about all of this Shenmue teasing, 'eventually' etc
i think a 110 Industries Shenmue 4 has a realistic chance.
Judging by the recent comments that sounded like the CEO is simply interested in
making stuff he likes personally.
If he looked for a company that can make him a 20 mil (or whatever) USD oldschool action game
just because he likes this stuff
then Shenmue 4 could follow the same path ... if the CEO really is a fan.

maybe there is good news at the end of this after all..
but doesn't explain Yu saying what he said either.

I don't think we'll hear any more Shenmue 4 news until after Air Twister finishes all its content updates (whenever that will be, I'm out of the loop with that game).

My crazy-ass - and completely unsubstantiated - prediction is that YSNet is working with 110 industries on Red Goes Faster (current slated release date of 2024) and if that goes well, 110 will fork over the funds for S4. I imagine that YSNet needs to prove itself/ build its reputation before a company throws the full 20+ million in their direction.

It's such a big risk, and after all, how many non-movie franchise open-world games are there that aren't self-published? Normally it's a bet a company makes on themselves as they can trust the huge sums of money on their large experienced teams. YSNet certainly doesn't have much experience, and if S3 proved anything, it's that Suzuki can't do it by himself, because as much as it was unfair that he personally received a lot of criticism for S3, he probably also didn't deserve the deity-level of praise for all the awesomeness that first two installments brought, as it was a team of hundreds of - presumably experienced - SEGA employees that got the thing over the line.

Last edited:
I imagine that YSNet needs to prove itself/ build its reputation before a company throws the full 20+ million in their direction.
I disagree, personally. That's something you'd do with unproven talent and a new studio, rather than one with industry legend-tier talent that has shipped two games in three years with major publishers; one of which being the predecessor to the game they are theoretically trying to find funding for in this scenario.

There are other impediments that might mean their collaboration is a non-Shenmue project, but if both parties want to do it and can agree on budget/scope... they would just do it.

I disagree, personally. That's something you'd do with unproven talent and a new studio, rather than one with industry legend-tier talent that has shipped two games in three years with major publishers; one of which being the predecessor to the game they are theoretically trying to find funding for in this scenario.

There are other impediments that might mean their collaboration is a non-Shenmue project, but if both parties want to do it and can agree on budget/scope... they would just do it.
If a publisher trusted that YSNet could get a decent return of a 20+ million investment, wouldn't S4 have been greenlit if S3 started rolling in money? YSNet hasn't proven itself when the stakes are high, it has only proven that it can make a niche open-world game that might break even with half the game already paid for, which is surely the whole reason S4 hasn't been announced. If S3 had made a bunch, SEGA would be bankrolling this thing.

I'm not criticizing their achievement with S3 (I love it for all its faults), but if YSNet's ability to make a kickass mainstream title out of S4 with Suzuki's desired budget wasn't considered risky, they wouldn't be making smartphone games.

I think the only way S4 gets made with an increased budget is if a publisher isn't thinking about turning a profit, but instead considers exposure more important (hence my idea of Red Goes Faster making a profit and then S4 making a loss and overall breaking even :LOL: )

Last edited:
It's not going to happen anyways. We'd already know. I can't think of a single gaming related surprise that has happened in the last two or three years. Everything gets leaked in some manner. If there was any truth to 110's teasing then some "insider" would have already hinted at it or blurted something out. Yu's responses are frankly beyond coye or mere deflection and to me are him heing honest in saying nothing is in the works right now.

It's not going to happen anyways. We'd already know. I can't think of a single gaming related surprise that has happened in the last two or three years. Everything gets leaked in some manner. If there was any truth to 110's teasing then some "insider" would have already hinted at it or blurted something out. Yu's responses are frankly beyond coye or mere deflection and to me are him heing honest in saying nothing is in the works right now.
I'm guessing you weren't part of the 'I've been waiting for S3 since the Dreamcast days' crowd. :LOL: We still have 15 more years to go before we reach that same level of 'It aint gonna happen'.

Also leaks tend to only come out from big publishers and developers from a hack or to media outlets about mainstream titles. YSNet and Shenmue are neither.

That budget just needs to come down and then someone will surely take a stab at it.

Last edited:
If a publisher trusted that YSNet could get a decent return of a 20+ million investment, wouldn't S4 have been greenlit as soon as S3 started rolling in money? YSNet hasn't proven it can make a lot of money when the stakes are high, it has only proven that it can make a niche open-world game that might break even, which is surely the whole reason S4 hasn't been announced. If S3 had made a bunch, SEGA would be bankrolling this thing.

I'm not criticizing their achievement with S3 (I love it for all its faults), but if YSNet's ability to make a kickass mainstream title out of S4 with Suzuki's desired budget wasn't considered risky, they wouldn't be making smartphone games.....
Not sure this argument supports the theory that YsNet are making a new IP with 110 instead. I'll explain what I mean:

Shenmue is a known multimedia IP with a recently released instalment. If turning a profit is the sole deciding factor in whether the game gets funded or not, Shenmue is still a safer bet than a new IP without any existing code base to work from.

Wanted: Dead is a new IP, but it's trading off the pedigree of the Ninja Gaiden series in its developers and genre roots, and Soleil has previously developed hack n' slash titles.

Both are more financially sound investments than a new IP in a genre a developer has no recent history in.

Secondary point; why would a theoretical Shenmue IV come from 110 and not SEGA or Deep Silver? It's reputation vs return.

110 are a new publisher looking to build a reputation for themselves as champions of Japanese developers and fans of genres that were around during the sixth generation of consoles. They still have to manage risk like any other profit-making enterprise (detailed above), but there's more for them to gain than cold hard cash right now, and Shenmue would be a major feather in their cap.

SEGA and Deep Silver are the opposite. They're established, you know who they are and what they do, they're sat on a number of recognisable IP, and they are publicly traded companies. They're interested in maximising returns. Maximising is the important word there because that's why they would pass on projects that would break even or make a small profit.

This is why, for example, SEGA are chasing the "games as a service" multiplayer shooter trend with something like Hyenas rather than paying for a passion project like Shenmue. You can see a similar trend in Hollywood where small/mid-budget movies have been abandoned by the studios while they chase big shared universe hits. Everybody wants to be the next Star Wars, MCU, Fortnite, etc.

SEGA/Deep Silver and 110 want different things for their businesses and will subsequently pick different projects.

As for Air Twister, I feel you're mischaracterising a side-project that came about as a result of a meeting between Yu and Apple. We're not in the Shenmue Gai/Shenmue City era of YsNet at all anymore, thankfully.

There are reasons why a YsNet/110 collaboration might not be Shenmue IV, but I don't believe giving them a dry run with a new IP in a genre with no recent experience/technological base is it, because it's antithetical to the purpose of giving them a low risk project in the first place.

In an industry with very few auteurs, Suzuki is one of perhaps a dozen if i'm being charitable. Although we live in a risk-averse climate with the entertainment industry, there is still something to be said for a prestige product. Let's not forget that in theory, Shenmue IV could be made with a similar or smaller budget than III, because a lot of that budget was getting to grips with Unreal Engine and getting used to big game development after years in the wilderness.

I see Suzuki as a sort of Terence Malick (cinema) or Scott Walker (music) equivalent; each have spent years out in the wilderness, but their prior work is held to such a high degree that whilst they'll never make blockbuster money, within the context of their respective industires, their work will be held in high regard. And even though money talks; in many respects art wins over commerce.

Maybe i'm being poetic and romantic about it, but I think there's room in the industry for such artistic statements; especially in this homogonised age.

Back