110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

Remasters with increased resolution and/or framerate are nearly always better than remakes. But that's just, like, my opinion man.
I mean, there are exceptions, like Resident evils' remake. But yeah, a port with some framerate and resolution changes are enough. The magic of Shenmue was everything that made in that time, if we turn it into a S3, it will lose everything.

Its okay the way it is, maaaaybe it will help if they are in PC gamepass to open the the door to a new public. But nothing more than that.

We barely have faith of a S4. A remake of 1 & 2 its absolutely impossible. Plus, it will have the graphics and gameplay of S3, and a lot of people disliked it. So we will turn two masterpieces in something worst than nobody wanted and didnt get any new fans.

The port to pc was enough. We dont need anything else of the first 2 games.
You are right. They wouldn’t remake the games to a standard that would help the series. That requires too much care and money, and these games just aren’t at that point right now.

You are right. They wouldn’t remake the games to a standard that would help the series. That requires too much care and money, and these games just aren’t at that point right now.
But fans would 😁

I was slightly disappointed by the RGT85 video the other day. I can appreciate he’s coming at the subject of Shenmue with a well-intended perspective but he made a lot of incorrect assumptions (as ‘facts’) that probably cause more harm than good. I think he’s massively missing the point if he thinks the story can be completed with a one hour manga episode, and is mistaken in thinking this series is only about getting revenge on Lan Di.

I was slightly disappointed by the RGT85 video the other day. I can appreciate he’s coming at the subject of Shenmue with a well-intended perspective but he made a lot of incorrect assumptions (as ‘facts’) that probably cause more harm than good. I think he’s massively missing the point if he thinks the story can be completed with a one hour manga episode, and is mistaken in thinking this series is only about getting revenge on Lan Di.
Whats RGT85 video? Just found about it.
I agree with you in condensing what remains of the story in one anime season would be plausible but 1h... Lol no. I cant even imagine the amount of material being left aside.
The series isn't about getting revenge on Lan Di... While Shenmue has many many layers and indeed means more than revenge to the average fan, it is objetively that at least where we are.
That's Ryo main thought atm.
Shenmue is not just one of the best game story written ever, its one of the best 'a hero's journey' tale. In this plot scheme, main characters has to endure a trail full of test after experiencing some kind of trauma or disruption in life. At the journey's end and trials overcoming, very important, the main character soul, or what you prefer, transforms into 'the hero' as a being in a superior mind and body state than when all the epic started. Usually recieving help and guidance through along the path from one or many "Ovidios".
You can find the same storytelling in lots of classic literature and games:
Homero's Oddissey, Silent Hill 2, ICO, Shadow of Colossus. While both the main character and reader/player, endures indeed a initiation journey plagued of lessons and interpretation, the driving element or engine would be respectively:
Reach Itaca, Find Mary, Escape the Fortress with Yorda, Revive our loved one.
To me Dracula is not just a vampire story, but if someone tells me is mainly that I would've to concede.
Edit: I forgot to say I cant see such a thing as harm for his point of view.

Last edited:
We're in the process of making a video to show how wrong he is.

The stream starts. The guy is tied in a chair and wears a bag on his head.
James and Matt: "Hi there fellows! As promised, we're showing him how wrong he is... You got on this yourself dude."
The guy: "pPleease, I got money! Dinero mucho!"

Hey my fellow dojo friends,

I wanted to ask in all seriousness when its more likely that shenmue 4 is revealed on TGS? I know we can not expect anything, I just wanted to know when and where to look if something is cooking? Any clues and hints?

Thanks and much love,
Sailor-San

Hey my fellow dojo friends,

I wanted to ask in all seriousness when its more likely that shenmue 4 is revealed on TGS? I know we can not expect anything, I just wanted to know when and where to look if something is cooking? Any clues and hints?

Thanks and much love,
Sailor-San
Always a pleasure having you round here, Sailor-San.
The place too look is this same dojo, out of doubt. As soon it happens it will hit social media and this boards almost at same time.
The time, sadly will be the very day of TGS but we will experience the weird phenomena prior to these kind of dates in early September.
No clues at all afaik. I have the pathetic theory of Wanted Dead being a fake game and turning to be Shenmue 4 but you know what is, the hunger and not the facts.
I swear reading first "in all selliotness" because too much movie podcast and tired.

To be fair, this was no Super Eyepatch Wolf hatchet job for easy views. RGT85 does appear to have real affection for the series. He’s just not up to speed with the situation. It’s a fairly positive video about his nostalgia for the series, it’s just a pity he got a number of his facts wrong (and that he missed the entire point of the Shenmue saga).

To be fair, this was no Super Eyepatch Wolf hatchet job for easy views. RGT85 does appear to have real affection for the series. He’s just not up to speed with the situation. It’s a fairly positive video about his nostalgia for the series, it’s just a pity he got a number of his facts wrong (and that he missed the entire point of the Shenmue saga).
That's correct, it seems just his personal point of view. Please dont get me wrong, i want to watch the incoming video and I already had enough dojo videopodcast to know the way they treat disagreement: with facts, balance and measure. I praise the lack of shouts, seriously.

But keeping along with the structured debate promoted by this nice place, I'll rephrase my previous question, note that im not seeking to "be right". We debate, let alone wrong-right dilemma.
Do you believe that asserting Shenmue story as a revenge tale really conflicts with the series spirit?
What's Ryo's main motiv? I know that finding about Shen Hua becomes fuel for Ryo since the beginning, but when it comes to advance in his travel and ask whereabouts, what is the center what everything revolves around?
Reminder, to me it is not a revenge story. But it doesn't colludes neither.

and is mistaken in thinking this series is only about getting revenge on Lan Di.
I haven't seen the end of the series obviously, but I always got the feeling the story was always going to be about how pointless or hollow revenge is. Like, I expected him to discover that Lan Di took his father out for the same reason he's now trying to take Lan Di out, maybe Lan Di dies a little over halfway through the story before Ryo has the chance to get his revenge, is left wondering "what now", goes through a big personal journal through martial arts since he's already in China, etc.

It's more the assertion around the 1 hour anime and there's no story 🤣

Actually, I agree that the story could be done in a season of anime. Should it be? No, of course not, but push comes to shove, I'd take whatever they can give, especially if it's that and nothing else.

Having said that, the fact that Shenmue script is still kept with such secrecy is a testament to its earning potential to whatever media project it's assigned to, so with that logic in mind, they should be able to tell the story properly, whatever media format they choose i.e. anime or manga (if games are out the window).

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see a Shenmue manga over a disappointing game or rushed anime. A shiny physical copy of the whole series would be awesome.

Look at what this wait is doing to us all! :LOL:

While I start salivating at the thought of Kiwami-style remakes of Shenmue I & II, I'm not sure that is where the focus for the franchise should lie at this point.

Remakes of that magnitude are not cheap to make and it's not like the general gaming community has a high opinion of the franchise after the latest installment so even a quality set of remakes doesn't automatically equal great sales.

Myself and a portion of the community may love the third installment, be more forgiving and understanding of its shortcomings due to the circumstances under which the game came to be, but its overall reception is mixed with the project being plagued with negative headlines.

For now, I'd prefer a part IV that moves the story forward a great deal and has enough in it to appeal to a larger audience without alienating the loyal fans who were there since day one. It's a tough balancing act and at this point we don't even know if and/or how close Yu Suzuki is to even securing the funding to make it happen.

Like I said earlier, I'm still confident that we're closing in on a Shenmue IV announcement, but I also feel threads like these are where people tend to endlessly set themselves up for disappointment.

Back